Can He-Man Be "Good Natured" AND Be A Warrior?

1. amehler
    amehler
    This question was posed in the public forums where someone asked if He-Man is simply "good" aside from being a more engaging fighter in the new 200x MYP cartoons. The question was raised since He-Man fights more. That is what a Warrior does, and he does good by protecting those in need of protection.

This same question is posed to Soldiers all the time...how can you go to war? Isn't that unjust or immoral?

Thoughts?
  2. CreamCheeseAlchemy
    CreamCheeseAlchemy
    I see it as a last resort kind of thing. He-man doesn't seek it out but he wants to protect people.
  3. Fitz
    This is a really interesting question; not easy to answer in some respects.

He-Man fights for the Power, for Grayskull – to protect the weak and oppressed against evil. Being endowed with the Power means that he is strong and resolute – and knows that what he does is right. Moral ambiguities don’t usually arise (there are exceptions – such as The Problem with Power – but these are not the norm of his world and moral compass.)

Above all, He-Man does not kill. The Power means that he does not have to – since he has skill and strength far above that of his enemies. But it is also a moral choice; not to fight evil with evil’s weapons. This maintains the essential purity of the Power - and He-Man as its champion.

Our world is less obvious in its morality. ‘Our’ side is not always right – or ‘theirs’ always wrong. As soldiers we obey orders given by legally constituted authority; but so did the Germans under the Nazis, the Russians under the Soviet regime – and with well-known results for the world. One would hope that ‘we’ would do better; but how can we be sure? Are we jointly responsible for atrocities committed by individuals on our side? Under what circumstances might we disobey an order which went against our personal code?

I don’t know about everyone else, but I tended to fight not for a cause but for my men – the ones I commanded, and who did the same for me. I believe that it has always been like that for warriors – since first men fought each other. We fight for what we know, not for abstracts like ‘freedom’ or ‘country’ - these are too remote from what goes on in battle. And perhaps that is right.