- Joni -
Maybe the Griffin's bio was nothing special because it's a Beast of Eternia™ bio -- it really isn't a character or anything. I was thinking of comparing the Shadow Beast bio, but at least it had the interesting tidbit about the Shadow Beasts being created by Count Marzo. The most surprising thing with the Griffin's bio was that Beast Man can control several HUNDRED of these beasts at once. Is Beast Man the best of his race, since all Beast Men can control animals? Or did he get some kind of Evil-Lyn-esque mental powerup like she did for Clawful?
Wanted to comment on the discussion you guys had regarding the bio for SMAA. I know that everyone assumes that Clamp Champ is the 'mortally wounding' warrior and you guys said in the podcast that you were surprised that the Sorceress (Teela version) couldn't "fix" MAA until he was mortally wounded. I was thinking that given the briefness of the bio, maybe there are other things at work that are yet to come to light. Other things that are yet to be revealed in backstory OR perhaps the elements of the bio are not necessarily listed in order of occurrence. For example, I could see the following as a possibility:
1. Maybe the Masters can't get to SMAA (for one reason or another). Potentially this plays into the whole "the Masters have had to go underground" storyline we've been hearing about.
2. Maybe Clamp Champ is not the character who delivers the mortal wounding, even though the two fight. The bio does not directly state that Clamp Champ delivers the blow... it is loosely implied... but not directly stated. (I know others have also raised this... but this did not come up in the podcast discussion.) Maybe Clamp Champ "holds him down" so that the Masters can get to him / capture him to try to "fix" him.
3. Maybe Sorceress (Teela) is able to transform Duncan back to his normal self only after he's been "clamped down" [captured] by the Masters. Again, thanks to Clamp Champ. (Maybe they could not get to SMAA before either because he was too closely protected or he was carefully hidden given his significance to both sides.)
4. Maybe once Clamp Champ has SMAA trapped and Sorceress (Teela) has worked her magic it is King Hsss who delivers the mortal wounding... out of fear that Duncan will be "overturned" and perhaps SMAA either knows too much about the Snake Men plans OR King Hsss is too selfish to lose his 'technical genius."
Food for thought; was thinking this might be a viable extra-bit of info that has not come to light just yet... I guess we need to keep reading the bios.
Interested to hear your thoughts...
• I'm a little horrified that the "Master of Capture" couldn't catch Snake MAA.
• I wouldn't be so quick to blame the bio writers this time for Snake MAA's condition: Snake Man-At-Arms' condition isn't one that's easily fixed. King Hsss' magic is confirmed as being really strong. In MYP, the Sorceress said that Hsss' magic was as strong as the Elders. That being said, Castle Grayskull didn't have any idea on how to reverse the condition in that big wonderful secrets of the universe library of theirs? This isn't the first time MAA has been hit with a condition that even Grayskull had no knowledge of. There was also the time in Filmation where The Sorceress was unable to change MAA back from a crystal statue, so they had to ask Granamyr.
Like mother, like daughter.:sklol:
• If you want to read up on how MAA was changed to a Snake Man, there is the Episode 40 comic that came along with the 3rd MYP DVD that shows how it went down.
You bring up some intesting points Darth Daddy. I didn't think about it that way. Your right that the bios are breif and we don't get the full picture. It never stated how much time did pass and Teela might not have had full use of the powers of Grayskull when Ducan was turned. It could also be that Clamp Champ was able to bring him to Grayskull for Teela to proform the spell. But to quote Scott- We just have to keep reading the bios.
MegaGearMax, I think Matty was trying to show us that Beastman is smarter than we thought. His ablity to control animals might be way at times he seems slow (had to do 2 things at once).
Let's hope there is more to the story than meets the eye...
Josephus, I saw your custom Attak Trak on Facebook. (At least I assume it was yours.) Nice work.
You guys were pretty hard on the ole Griffin; I am really excited to get that... something I've wanted since the MYP show. I'm hoping for more creature mounts. I am kinda "meh" on horses (like Arrow) but I'd really love more beast mounts. I just wish that you could attach the Wind Raider stand to it so you could put it in a flight pose. That would have been cool... and a way for Matty to (maybe) sell the stands for something other than the Wind Raider. (Just my .02).
Ha! Thanks for letting me know... !
Hey everyone listening to the Council of the First Ones podcast, stay tuned for Filmation month during June 2012.
Every week we will be covering a Season of He-Man and She-Ra. Please send any questions or thoughts to us and we will discuss it wherever relevant. Also tell us who is your favourite Filmation characters and whether you would want to see them in MOTUC!
Check out the TGR Facebook page where we will be discussing several of our favourite Filmation characters!
Episode 20 is here! This time we discuss about the MOTUC Mekaneck and The New Adventures of He-Man.
Direct download link
- Joni -
I never got the feeling that Mekaneck was some super depressed character like Snout Spout. I think he just wished he had better powers, compared to his flashier comrades. I always had the idea that since Mekaneck thought his powers sucked, it made him compensate for that "weakness" in other areas such as melee combat. Unfortunately, he still used his neck to beat Tri-Klops.
Wolfsfang I stand corrected. I wondered why when Marty went to 1885 and backed into the cave why the other Delorean wasn't there. I watched the movie again and it was another cave. My bad! I am man enough to admit when I was wrong, and I was here!
Yes Mekaneck propably isn't super depressed all the time. But his one shining episode is "Mekaneck's Lament" and since it brings up the inferiority-issue, that is what most people remember. Which I personally don't like.
Then again not many may have seen Filmation's "Search for a Son" and think that Mekaneck never had any origin told and was just "there in background as toy-commercial". Which again is a great shame.
Also I gotta admit I used two names constantly wrong. It was DRAGON MOUNTAIN where Mekaneck was with his son. And Season of Storms was from an Orko-episode. So my apologies for messing that up.
Just wait, our month long tribute to Filmation will be starting soon. I know it was great to remember those childhood memories that go with watching that show. And each week we will have a different host, starting out with Jukka!
Thanks guys; enjoyed listening to the discussion. I'm looking forward to that Filmation talk.
But if you go back and change something does it create splinter / alternate realities? Does it erase and replace the future ? or does it cause a paradox that totally erases the space/time continuum and bring the universe to an abrupt end?
and then there is going forward. Do you see a possible future or a certain one? If it is a certain one then that means everything is preordained which brings with it it's own problems, because if you discover everything is preordained how can you go to the past and change anything because everything that has happened and is going to happen will happen no matter what you do and trying to change it from happening is probably the very thing that makes it happen.
Time Travel just raises too many questions :hmwink:
In the Episode 20 podcast when you guys were talking about the outfit of the Sorceress in the NA mini-comics it reminded me of Padme's snow suit on Illum in the Gendy T. Clone Wars micro-series. (Hood and cloak off.) For what it's worth.
Can't wait for the Filmation podcast(s). I have some plane travel next week and would love to have a new episode by, say, Monday night... ;)
Hi Darth Daddy, I agree with you on the Sorceress' outfit having a very Star Wars feel. Would really love to see this figure in the classics line!