Nice episode, I like the questions, which were answered well.
But I'm sure that a obscure 2016 line wouldn't work. Sub sales went down with many fan demanded figures still missing, so there are only the hardcore fans, who want more obscure or new stuff, but the casual customers are mostly not interested.
I consider myself a vintage fan but also don't buy every vintage figure. I won't buy a Blade, Gwildor or Stonedar, because I got no interest in these characters. When the Two Bads and Moduloks are gone through, this line won't have enough support to justify an obscure line.
Thanks for giving us a try.
Originally Posted by Swifty
I listened for TG, and it doesn't sound like he wants to do Snake Mountain AT ALL. I'd rather have Snake Mountain than the lower-tier PoP, Filmation, MYP, and NA characters as figures. Snake Mountain is more recognizable and marketable than those characters.
I dunno...many complained about not getting flippin' Strobo and he's as obscure as it gets! Fang Man was hailed as a "goofy-ass Filmation character" on Facebook, but as soon as he's not a DOS figure, the fans cry foul because they can't get him.
Originally Posted by Berserker79
I think that once the casual and vintage fans relax because they have their 80's MOTU line-up of figures, they will be more accepting of non-vintage characters on a case-by-case basis. For example, Despara would be cool after the vintage fan got all of his favorites first. Despara is NOT cool if she is keeping a vintage figure from coming out.
- - - Updated - - -
Which begs the question...if casual popularity is the issue, would the Filmation Crystal Castle be more popular than any version of Snake Mountain? Would people see CC and think She-Ra's castle?
Originally Posted by RockinHard
I think TG is cautious about the playsets winding down in popularity as we go down the ranks. Snake Mountain presumably will sell less than Grayskull, Fright Zone will sell less than Snake Mountain, CC will sell less than Fright Zone, Starship Eternia will sell less than CC, etc.
It kind of sounds like if Evil Seed gets made, he'll most likely be MYP inspired. I'm guessing Lord Dactys comes out eventually.
Thanks for an awesome episode Kelly and team! I really enjoyed listening to the show.
Scott really sounded exited about things to come!
O and Crespo, Bikini Spector, really? Give poor Scott a break!
TBH, after all this "2014-2015 All Star Wrap-Up Line" is over, I want MOTUC to continue in 2 different subs !
1) Variants SUB - I don't care if contains 6 figures OR 12 figures. But I feel this is a MUST ! With over 50+ fan favourite & demanded variants on the table, I think it will be great bonus for fans like me, MGM etc. Figures like Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, Filmation Evil-Lyn, 200X King Hiss, 200X Sorceress, 200X General Rattlor, 200X Randor, 200X Marlena, Green Trap Jaw, Mini-Comic Tri-Klops etc. can greatly benefit out of these SUB. And since this will be a separate SUB from the regular CE SUB, fans that are happy with the 1st version figures can pass this completely. OR they can have the option of buying this to complete their collection !
2) Club Eternia SUB - Traditional sub with moderately known & obscure characters from all MOTU/POP eras ! Again, I don’t mind if its 6 OR 12 figures SUB !
Nothing Is Forced ! Win-Win For Everybody !!
BTW, they should also concentrate on popular beasts (Battle Lion, Clawdeen ETC) & vehicles (Battle Ram, Rotton, Land Shark ETC) in this time !
As for the play sets, I am NOT sure how they should go further. Especially after that infamous CG B-Sheet fiasco !!
I do have a list with over 50 Spector looks. Bikini Spector is a nod to 007...
Originally Posted by TUC138
I can't wait for 2016 either! Hopefully we can finally get long asked for characters and variants without that fan anxiety over major characters coming first. Since the Vintage MOTU characters and all of the other major heads will be complete, it should be a great time for those of us who wanted a little bit more than the same characters done all over.
Hopefully some of the Classics fanbase can go back to relaxing and accepting new characters like they did when the line was thought to be unsinkable back in 2011.
Dewald, don't encourage Crespo. Do you want to see him create more Spectors?
If Mattel gave us Fright Zone, they could use most of the mold for a Crystal Caverns playset for the SS. Include a figure of the Celestial Witch with it, and that puppy would sell like hotcakes ;)
Originally Posted by MegaGearMax
Just listened to this episode.
What struck me most is Toyguru's (paraphrased below) insistence that the price point of the figures is solely responsible for the downturn in sales:
"Really the only change has been that once we saw that the cost to produce these figures was limiting the sell-through, we thought we owe it to the fans to at least get to all the vintage figures, A-listers, etc."
Is he really in that much of a bubble where he truly believes this, or is it just another way of shifting blame to the fans?
This isn't a slam or anything. I am genuinely asking this question.
It's the latter.
Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man
If you remember why DC Universe can never get any extra online content or 100% tools, Ghostbusters, Young Justice, JLU and even 200X from 11 years ago, then it's never Mattel's fault for screwing up with character selection, price points, case ratios or distribution.
Mattel ALWAYS blames the fans for not supporting the brand. That's why DCUC can't get a Batmobile made for a character 10 times more popular than He-Man--fans had to buy oddly choiced or terribly made character two packs. That's why Ghostbusters couldn't get anyone made besides variants of the Ghostbusters themselves--fans had to buy those variants, even after the 4H were made to pull out from GB. That's why JLU ended--the figures were too expensive for 5 POA and in some cases hard to find at Target. That's why Young Justice ended--Mattel tried the same trick that they did with JLU and with the 6" figures, they added bases, inflating the cost even more. That line was too expensive for most fans.
Yet, in spite of all that, fans are expected to keep collecting regardless.
Episode 55 is up! In this episode we are giving tips for convention goers and talking about Filmation MOTU episode "Temple of the Sun".
Direct download link
- Joni -
Holy crap! I forgot to update! My bad!
Episodes 56 and 57 are here!
In Ep. 56 we have Kelly, Joni, Crespo and a Special Guest Chris Campana. We talk a bit of MOTUC (Kool-aid Hordak), The DC Comic and Mr. Campana's own Comic Kantara.
Episode 57 is the one about the Toy Hunter and a Toy Guru...
Here's the link and stuff...
Episode 58 is up! This time Kelly and Crespo are having their great Bow vs. Sea Hawk debate.
Direct download link
- Joni -
Episode 59 is up! This time we discuss about Masters of the Universe 200X toyline and first three episodes from the MYP animated series.
Direct download link
- Joni -
Episode 60 of Council of the First Ones
More MYP Discussion... Kelly, Rene, Joni and Crespo touch some stuff regarding the 200X toon!
Boy, so many council meets beside the live..yes...live meeting during the Matty panel next Friday. I will be tweeting from the panel under #greatrebellion and don't forget, I will be at the party that night.
Episode 61 is up! This is our SDCC 2013 aftermath episode, which comes in two parts.
In the first part, Kelly talks about all the things she saw and learned, while at the SDCC 2013.
Direct download link - Part 1
In the second part we are mainly discussing about Masters of the Universe reveals.
Direct download link - Part 2
- Joni -
Here are some notes from Episode 62:
* "If you're on the fence and have the money, buy a sub!"
* Fans will get all of the remaining vintage MOTU figures in the next two years if enough people subscribe and the subs go forward.
* You only pay up front for the first figure when you order the sub.
* Standar is NOT in the sub. It's a traveling con exclusive.
* The sub does not have concept figures in the sub aside from Unnamed One.
* No 3 packs in the 2014 sub. "We are going to pay less in 2014"
* Speculation: What if Matty gets the movie rights and the Gwildor and Blade figures look more like their movie counterparts?
* The sub will not go through if the sale goal is not met at 100%.
* No 2014 or 2015 figures will show up at Big Lots.
* First quarter figures have more tooling than we've seen in years!
* Take advantage of the sub buddy system!
* Multi-Bot will be included in either 2014 or 2015. "He's in the cards!"
* The vintage Modulok figure was the most popular when hit stores in the 80's.
* You should have zero trouble selling your extra figures.
* "You are guaranteed to get those vintage figures you wanted!"
* If you just want a few figures, support the online retailers who are taking preorders for figures and are purchasing subscriptions.
* Total cost before taxes, shipping, custom charges, is $503 for the whole year (12 figures, 4 quarterlies (which are not 2 packs or 3 packs) and the holiday bonus. We are paying less.
* Axel Gimenez (MOTU superfan and incredibly talendted artist) will work on the Modulok boxart and the exclusive mini comic that comes with Unnamed One!
* If 2014 happens with enough subscribers, 2015's character selection will be the easiest ever to predict!
* The Digital River issues have greatly improved!
* Some of the very best sculptors are working on this toyline and they along with many people working at Mattel are fans first and employees second!
* Other toy companies do not support the fans like Mattel has.
* If the sub fails, the essential figures might be going away.
* Quarterly sub option will save you money!
errata: $503 was a mistake. $501 is the actual total 12 Monthly Figures ($25 each), 4 Quarterlies ($25 + $38 + $38 + $40), 1 Holiday Item ($35) 1 Sub exclusive ($25)! Also the $501 does not count shipping costs and taxes, because they vary from place to place.
*We must kick the Meter's butt and get the minimum required by Mattel!
Well we need 43% more so Crespo can have his girl. Hopefully we answer some of your questions about getting a sub.