As far as accurancy goes - I'd say Mer-Man, Zodac and Man-At-Arms - All great figures which look like the leapt off the cardback.
Teela is one of my favourites - but her figure is not 100% accurate to her cardback - the closed hand and the gold on the braciers (should be plain white) also longer leaves on her belt.
Skeletor and He-Man and Stratos are nearly there - I wish Skeletor's face was more vicious and scarey like the cardback, but they decided to go for the vintage figure for obvious reasons.
Beastman is a cool figure - sometimes underrated - but not accurate of the cardback at all - moreso the vintage figure.
My favorite of the 8-back figures is Zodac. I think they really nailed his look.
After that I would show some love for Beast Man. That poor fuzzball never gets any love and that figure is really sharp.
Mer-Man is the winner, hands down!
I would say, Honestly Teela, then Beast Man....
Mer-Man is not the version I would have preferred, I don't like the open hand, just because it's shown 30 years ago, and I don't like the 3 fingered hands at all. And I would have preferred a Filmation styled extra head, I know they couldn't then, but they can now, throw it in with one of the new Filmation guys Mattel. I made new 5 fingered hands for him, and I like them much better.
It was always and always will be Mer-Man! I remember being hypnotized by the way he looked and how cool he was... I never liked the original toy too much because of how different he was. Always wanted that Mer-Man on the back of the packages. (Finally got him with Classics!)
I've stumbled across this rendering a couple times, and let me just say, it is awful. I'm very happy the 4HM didn't make a He-Man head that looks like this. This head looks like a 60 year old man that's had too many Botox injections.
Originally Posted by FAKER II
I love the He-Man rendering, he's my favorite of the original 8 back, although MAA is a close second. Mer Man really looks great too. But the winner for card back accuracy (even though he's not on the 8 back) to me is Ram Man.
It's between Mer-Man and Teela for me.
Mer-Man because of...well, now he looked like the card back! That's pretty dang cool. They also gave you both heads so you could choose your look!
Teela because her figure really brought her to her full potential. She came with a little bit of everything: classic stuff, 200X stuff, and then you can see a bit of that gold helmet sticking out of the snake armor on the back of the card, so they added that as well! Main reason she's a good choice is that she does all those things but pulls them all off in a classic way that harkens so closely to the card back. Good stuff!
Man-At-Arms and Mer-Man are my favorites and He-Man is my least favorite unfortunately.
Would love to get a He-Man 2.0 or an Alcala He-Man :hmgrin:
I had Mer-Man as a kid so I have to go with him just because. Weirdly when I think MOTU I don't think He-man and Skeletor.
Skeletor for me. Skeletor is my favorite motu character, so there's that. Aside from that, Classics this version has poseability, weapons, wonderful colors and paint apps. I prefer booted feet, but I'm fine with what we have.
If my house were burning down, and I can only grab one figure, I'm grabbing Skeletor.
After him concerning the 8 back it's
and I really love Zodac. That really speaks to how awesome these figures are.
All of them are so amazing! I really think that it's a toss up for me between Mer-Man, Man-At-Arms and Teela. The other are really close, though! I know that Skeletor's Alcala head isn't really 8-backish per say, but I think that it makes him the best overall figure of the 8 when added! :)
It was a surprisingly hard choice.
I went with TEELA. I've mentioned many times before my disappointment over never obtaining many of the lead characters in my childhood collection, and Teela was the most desired. I was gifted the Teela/Zoar two pack for my birthday in 1985, along with Battle Bones and one other item I don't recall, but my parents took Teela out of the packaging and threw her away.
So, Teela was the Holy Grail, and something I wasn't "meant" to have. Naturally, I purchased THREE when the MOTUC version went on sale. Take that, Dad! :hmlol:
Merman is a winner,
but i like all the others alike.
I would rank these 8 figures:
1. Mer-Man - one of my favorite characters and this version is amazing!
2. Man-At-Arms - a figure I thought was boring as a kid, but this version is perfect all the extras awesome update!
3. Teela - She's just an awesome figure with lots of accessories
4. Skeletor - Another awesome update of a great character
5. Beast Man - Great sculpt, great paint, another great figure!
6. He-Man - Great version of the man, he's just not a favorite of mine
7. Zodac - vintage clone not enough of an update for me
8. Stratos - Boring character, boring vintage clone, one of my least favorite figures in the line (unfortunately he was my free Frosta figure x 3)
Mer-Man for sure. :) I was so disapointed as a kid have Mer-Man & he didn't look like the box art or the Filmation cartoon.
second pic for me is M@A
I agree with you , Lich Leech. Mer-Man all the way. In fact, I could have posted exactly what you did word for word.
I gotta go with Stratos. I didn't even like him as a kid, and didn't plan on getting him for MOTUC. However he was a convenient pickup in a TRU 2-pack so I went for it. He's since gone on to become one of my favorites of the whole line. The figure's pretty much a perfect update. Plus he's the only one awesome enough to not even need accessories :stgrin:
One thing I wish they had done was make Zodac more like his 8-back art, with white/silvery boots instead of dark gray.
Originally Posted by Sleeper
I'm going to go...
1. Beast Man - The original body was ugly with his pinched head and his skinny arms. This makes him a proper beast.
2. Skeletor - with the Alcala head. Without it he goes down the list.
3. He-Man - Perfect re-creation. Could have gone with more color or detail on the armor piece.
4. Teela - I just got one recently. I was afraid of her head sculpt a little much like a school marm (my critcism of the Filmation design), but she looks great. People say the articulation is limited, but I was able to get a good pose out of her.
5. Man at Arms - He was upgraded with the SMAA variant, but this is a perfect rendition of the early comics.
6. Mer-Man - If the question was "what was the most objectively faithful version of the cardback", then Mermy would win. I think he's a little too silly. I display him with the Stinkor head, and I wish he had regular hands. However, the goofy head looks perfect on the TRU blue version.
7. Zodac - Pretty standard re-design of a pretty, uh, conservative figure. I think it takes a distinguished palate to appreciate Zodac. And I certainly do.
8. Stratos - Zzzz. Give him his handles to his jetpack, articulate his wings, give him SOMETHING. So boring.
Mer-Man, webbed hands down! :hmlol:
Why would they do that??
Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101
The one figure I never had as a kid was Beast Man. Not sure why but he was never available. I remember seeing him once and begging my dad to buy him, but he said next time we'd get him. There was never a next time... :hmsad:
were the characters: Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Tri-Klops & Trap-Jaw also considered original 8-back?
no, they were the next 4 characters that followed the original 8
Originally Posted by kylun flac