Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Masters of the Universe #4 (Vol.3) Talkback

Official Masters of the Universe #4 (Vol.3) Talkback

Issue 4 hits stores on Wednesday, the 14th of July. This thread will open then.
    Have fun!

I just got it now and skimmed through quickly cos Im still at work. I like this issue! very cloak and dagger! hahahaha. Some cool scenes and we get to see the other guards again, great!
    My fav was the prison scene. ''And the Oscar goes to.....''

Plus I think that was my last piece of Fan-art.

This is great that I have it before the US fans!
    Last edited by oICEMANo; July 14, 2004 at 11:49am.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    Hope someone posts some spoilers... won't get mine until Friday! I want to know!
    ne jabba no badda!

waiting for it to go live at the he-store.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Mr Tuesday
    The closest comic store that sells the MOTU comic doesn't open for another hour or so, so I have to wait to get mine.

BIG DADDY SINISTER
    I just finished it. Great work.

The art was beautiful as always. And the writing is definitely on the upswing.

Got my copies!

Reading through the issue presently... Most impressive!

Happy jSun!
    hmgrin:
    Check out my Custom Figures! http://www.jsunscustoms.com

Mr Tuesday
    Just finished reading it, and like all the other issues, it left me wanting more. It'll be a rough wait for issue 5, but I know it'll be worth it.

:( Spoiler Alert

I just read it...

****************SPOILER ALERT****************

I have LOVED every issue... this one was -- I am sorry -- story-wise it was bad.

It was about 3 pages worth of stuff spread out over a whole issue... the writing was great as was the art, but I felt like it was REALLY not enough... no twist... excpet for Hssss still being alive - but did we EVER really believe he wasn't dead??? It would have been cool to reveal some of the secret points of this plot through Rattlor and Khan's point of view (other than Hssss still being alive)...

I love all the stuff that's been done, but I am really disappointed and kinda ****ed -- I wait each month and get really excited and it was kind of a let down.

but I bet you guys will make up for it next time (and I know, you had to throw a plan together because of the original story being blocked - which I HATE - because from the sound of it, that story would have has me dancing in the street

-Brian

I am much more happier with this issue than the previous one It didn't feel so short this time, and some more interesting things are taking place. I enjoyed seeing more of the Palace and it's surrounding city, and the exchanges between Rattlor and Khan are really great. I knew from the size of the Snakeman's head in Khan's cell that it had to be Man-E-Faces, but second-guessed myself ("Nah, they wouldn't think to do something like that..."). So needless to say I bit my tongue when Man-E walked in and got kudos from the king and co. for his fine performance. This is how I've always seen Man-E's power... that he can disguise himself as anybody. Very cool! And thank you for bringing Mekaneck back into the comic!!! Even if he was just having dinner at the table with everybody else, it was good to see his return.
    I thought everything from the writing to the colors were top-notch this time out, and I want to know more about the background characters seen in Eternos, even that random woman just walking home in the alleyway.
    But how come the comic can have these random people appear, but no more classic characters? I'm sure you're all sick of that subject by now, but I guess I thought Mattel said no new characters and I assumed that that rule would apply to Eternian "extras" as well.
    Also, is there no alternate cover for this particular issue?
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    I just picked up issue 4 and I have to say that is seemed extremly uneventful. I picked up issues 1-3 last week and have reread them over and over cause i enjoyed them so much and yet #4 seemed almost as if they could have skipped the issue all together gone on to issue 5. Just a one track story that didnt get much done other then the snakemen getting evil lynn. Nothing from skelators warriors or boneface himself. Oh well I guess I can love every issue I'm sure next months will pick back up.
    Nate

the homepage of the he-store has it listed as new, but go to the page of volume three it isn't listed.....
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke

I have LOVED every issue... this one was -- I am sorry -- story-wise it was bad.

It was about 3 pages worth of stuff spread out over a whole issue... the writing was great as was the art, but I felt like it was REALLY not enough...

Well, I can understand.
    This was a "passage" issue to move the story on. Probably it will read better in TP format, when you can read all the story at once.

But be prepared for big shocks in issue 5... that will be the time when people will really get mad at us!

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Fairly good "filler" issue, although I do wish you guys had shown a page or two of Skeletor's crew, so we'd remember they're out and about for Evil-Lyn too.

I liked the part where Man-E-Faces tricked Kobra Khan, although shouldn't he be in his Snake Armor now as well? And fun stuff with Adam being unable to find an empty room.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

British Spy in the Sky Lord of Avion's Avatar
    Just bought and read the latest issue. Wasn't to impressed by the story but as Emiliano just posted it was a "passage" issue to move the story on. None the less, it was still a good issue and I am looking forward to the next one.
    Although I yearn for nothing more than a peaceful Eternia
    If fight I must....Then Fight I will.
    ~King Grayskull~

I'm starting to feel I'm wasting my money on this comic. At least there is always G.I. Joe.

Heroic Warrior
    My comic book store didn't receive their copy today. I called them & they told me that they got IOE: Mer Man in.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine
    I'm starting to feel I'm wasting my money on this comic. At least there is always G.I. Joe.
    I stopped buying 2 normal copies (one to read one to keep super nice) on issue 3 now it's just one. Sounds like it's not worth making the trip to the comic book store until next week when Conan comes out.

I'm displeased. My comic store didn't get issue #4 today; the proprietor said that it didn't ship here this week.
    "Education makes a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but impossible to enslave."
    Lord Brougham 1778-1868

I enjoyed the issue as always... filler or not, it entertained me. Thanks guys.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano
    Well, I can understand.
    This was a "passage" issue to move the story on. Probably it will read better in TP format, when you can read all the story at once.

But be prepared for big shocks in issue 5... that will be the time when people will really get mad at us!

I am sure the TP version will be better... and I liked the Eternian city parts (for some reason it made everything seem more real -- like in the MOTU movie we saw how some of the machines would seem -- and how REALLY scary the bad guys can be -- for some reason this issue made me look at the whole struggle in that sense -- in other words, what it would be like to actually be there -- I guess giving the guards a lot of time and that lady with the bread was part of the reason)

and BIG SHOCKS?? I expected that -- BUT why will we be mad?! HINTS!! NOW!!!

-Brian

cool stuff, but i had to drive to another city to get mine...strangely enough my comic store got in Icons Of Evil - Mer Man instead of this issue
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

***Spoilers Below***

I liked the issue... Yes - It wasn't as eventful as the first three, but it had its moments. I thought the part with He-Man making the comment about ruining the wall was definitely funny.

I don't agree with some that think this issue could have been left out. There is something definitely being set up. Why would Adam and MAA want the Snakemen to take Evil-Lyn? They wanted Skeletor to help her not King Hsss. It will be very interesting to see their plan.

I did really like the use of Man-E-Faces too. That definitely gave his character more purpose. Having the action in the city was very cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke
    It was about 3 pages worth of stuff spread out over a whole issue... the writing was great as was the art, but I felt like it was REALLY not enough... no twist... excpet for Hssss still being alive - but did we EVER really believe he wasn't dead??? It would have been cool to reveal some of the secret points of this plot through Rattlor and Khan's point of view (other than Hssss still being alive)...
    I'm not one of those who think this issue lagged. I thought it was a good solid issue. The writing is really good. Scott has done a very good job at conveying personality quirks and character in her little dialogue exchanges.

This issue never lagged nor was anything expendable. To cut it down to "three pages" would reduce all the character interactions to jumping around and punching.

We get a nice moment between Teela and Adam that shows how Adam feels about his He-Man form, we get to see more of Eternos and its prison and learn how the city is laid out (districts! gambling!), the animosity between Rattlor and Khan is summed up in that great line, "I should have eaten you from the start", and the MEF ruse was quite unexpected! I never knew he could project a holographic likeness over his armour. That makes him a great spy/actor then and not just a guy with three faces. These are wonderful details.

From a writing standpoint, this was a great issue. Wouldn't change a thing.

The action was well placed and well executed. Instead of sprawling pages of battle and inane battle-speak (something the writers could still work on. Seriously, "die human" is so blah), Emilano and Enza have some great panel layouts. When Rattlor kills that guard and it is done only with the offset panel of his malicious eyes with the suggestive "KRUNCH" sound, it works to great effect. When MAA leaps, there is a lot of movement created in those three panels. When SA He-Man grabs Rattlor from behind, the pacing of the panels gave me a good chuckle.

Despite my views on the art (hate the colouring, don't think the art looks as good without inks), I'm very happy with this issue and hope to see more like it.

I like these slower, character driven stories with action intersperse. There is a time and place for lots of action, but I like a balance most of the time. If you’re not building to action to give it meaning and weight, then it feels shallow. We don’t need a huge cliffhanger twist every issue either.

Good job to everyone involved.

4.5/5
    ----------

And now some questions.

How come, when in prison, did Rattlor not get the same restraints as Kobra Khan. I know the Masters wanted them to escape.....but would Rattlor be put in the same restraints if they were being imprisoned for real. It would make more sense to bind his tail some how and then put on the same claw gaurds and muzzle that Khan had, since their power is in their hands and mouths. Rattlor's mouth was free and very dangerous. Also, his neck wasn't restrained in any way either.
    Last edited by RedBaron; July 14, 2004 at 09:30pm.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

Heroic Warrior
    Warning! The following post may contain some spoiler information.

Alright, here's what I have to say about this issue. Since #3 followed Hiss's acquisition of Skeletor and his staff, I expected that this one would follow the attempt to kidnap Evil Lyn. As that goes, I enjoyed how the rivalry between Khan and Rattlor was used; constantly demeaning and trying to 1 up the other, but not allowing it to upset their mission. Combined with how the Master's were able to use Kobra Khan's weekness to find out their plan, this issue has gone a long way to make these two Snake Men more well rounded, interesting, and even likeable characters.

That alone made it a worthwile comic. Other small details, such as Adam's misadventures in attemting to make the change, the humor of his "I'll go find Orko" comment, and the action of MAA's battle agains Rattlor and Khan also make this issue a fine addition to what has been a very enjoyable comic experience.

I can see areas that could've been streamlined to include more story, but I don't find it objectionable. Of course, I've always enjoyed the occasional issue which affords a little more character interaction and the expense of plot development.
    Last edited by braxthore; July 14, 2004 at 09:52pm.