Thread: Greetings from the Great Lakes State

Greetings from the Great Lakes State

Well, I wrote this once, and it disappeared, so here is the abbreviated version:

Hi, I'm 40 years old, and a longtime fan of Masters of the Universe. I don't collect much, but somewhere, buried in the back of a closet, are not-so-gently loved original figures, likely missing all accessories. I have picked up He-Man and Skeletor from the Classics line, but I can't afford to love that line too much.

The one figure I have an unhealthy obsession with is Modulok. I have a lot of Modulok pieces.

So, that is me. In brief. The original post was rife with drama and intrigue. It is a shame it didn't survive.
    Insert witty comment here.

Welcome to the boards!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

On behalf of He-Man.org's admin, staff, and moderators, allow me to extend an official Hello and welcome to He-Man.org,
    EarthGBilly!

We're glad to have you join our site and we hope you have a fun time discussing Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power here.

Please be sure to read over the rules for posting and interacting on He-Man.Org. And if you have any questions, you are welcome to send me a PM for more information.

If you want to buy and trade you will need to upgrade your account to have access to the Marketplace. Please click here and read the section entitled "What are the limitations for users with Gmail/AOL/Yahoo accounts?" for more information and details on how to upgrade.

I looked through your profile but the only messages you posted seems to be this one and another one n the VINTAGE Forum…i´m sorry that your more dramatic and intriguing message has been lost but now that you are a member here you will get so many opportunities to show your witty side. I´m looking forward to that

Enjoy your time here and Welcome!
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

It's awesome you have those original figures! And now I'm curious about this Modulok obsession.

Welcome to the forums!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's awesome you have those original figures! And now I'm curious about this Modulok obsession.

Welcome to the forums!
    The Modulok obsession... ah, yes...

See, as a tyke, I was enamored with Modulok. When my parents bought me the figure for my birthday, I was elated. I played with Modulok, trying every conceivable combination of parts to create "new" figures. There was only one problem.

I've always been a bit of a perfectionist and a stickler for symmetry. Even in my young mind, there were things that I could NOT get past with Modulok. It bothered me to no end to mix the insectoid pieces with the beasts pieces with the human-ish pieces. Oh, sure, I could JUST make figures with the matching limbs, but this was MODULOK! You should be able to give him six legs, right?

Of course, looking back, the solution to my issue was obvious - buy multiple figures, combine the sets - but as a little kid, it never dawned on me. And, honestly, even if it had, it would never have flown with my father. I loved the man, but he did tend to go on about my "expensive, useless pieces of plastic." To have suggested buying multiples of some toy I already had? Why, the man's head would have exploded.

Fast forward to me in my late 30's, and the MotU Classics line is out, and it reminds me of my love for MotU and I start thinking about Modulok. I look on eBay, and there are Moduloks, all over the place. Some folks want insane amounts of money for them, others are reasonable, but I tended to notice how many were incomplete. I mean, Modulok pieces were small, and being detachable, so easy to lose. I realized, hey, these incomplete figures tend to go cheap, and if I put enough together I can have a complete Modulok. Then it struck me - no, not JUST complete... I could have the Modulok I always wanted! Forget six legs... how about 20, and all the same species?!?

So, a couple of years ago, I started, occasionally, buying an incomplete Modulok as the mood hit. Slowly, the collection of pieces grew. I originally stored them in a cloth bag from a dollar store, then a shoebox-sized bin, and, currently, I have a 19" Stanley toolbox that is very close to full of Modulok evilness. The collection grows still.

I joke with my friends that, one day, I'll have enough pieces to create a to scale planet of Modulok which, according to my head-continuity and completely ignoring MotU, is home to the single member of the Modulok species, a hive mind creature. And, when I do this, I will ensure my lifelong bachelorhood, as I'm sure this will be an effective female repellant.
    Insert witty comment here.

Yeah collecting all the classic line can really drain your bank account in a matter of months. I was going for the whole line but eventually had to stop. Welcome to the boards and have a good time!