Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Masters of the Universe #5 (Vol.3) Talkback

I know I just posted but

OH MY GOD -- THE best issue yet -- AWESOME!!!!!!!

the best part was that it's all new history but it doesn't really ignore the old minicomic canon... of how maybe Keldor was around back when the Snake Men were a HUGE power...

I REALLy wish we could know more about the council of elders... ELDOR was there!!! I had TOTALLY forgotten about the Starchild... that's so cool...
    and there was the King Grayskull-ish guy who had She-Ra garb on... who is he?? MORE MORE!!

the best line: "Hssss is no concern of mine -- I answer to a higher authority..."

uhm, can you say HORDAK?? OR maybe it's that horrible beast in the shakkaran crystal, after all you guys inferred in the SHakkaran Crystal miniseries that that's where Skeletor/Keldor had found his power.

thank you guys for an AMAZING issue... you've made MOTU even more epic than it ever was.

Wow! I loved this issue as well.

One big question for me... How old does this make Keldor and Evil-Lyn? I thought the last time King Hsss was defeated was long before the time of Prince Adam...

I too will miss this comic a lot... I was never a comic book reader before, but now I'm hooked. I buy about $30 worth every Wednesday.

- Jaymz

I LOVED IT!
    The comics was so well written and the art was beautiful. I walked into the comic shop a bit bummed. Then I saw it!

What a welcome surprise!

I would say that some beings on Eternia age much differently than the average human Eternian (Man-At-Arms, Adam, Teela, etc).
    It's quite possible those possessing mystical might probably have a lot of say about how quickly they age. Evil-Lyn could easilly be a hundred years old or more. Same goes for Keldor (though that might be an unpopular statement for those clinging to the Keldor = Randor's brother theory).
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

I can't wait 20 days is so much, and I am still waiting for my Skeletor T-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Crow

Plus, the Hall of Wisdom looking like the outside of the Eternia playset! Great design!
    That's not the Hall of Wisdom...

I'm really glad you guys are enjoing this issue.
    Yeah, I was a bit scared, also because this part of the story could remain my personal biggest contribution to the MOTU myth for a long time, and I didn't want to screw up.
    I already know this story will raise more questions instead of answering old ones

I'm happy about how the issue come out and all I can say all of this ties with the stories we had in mind for the series, so we wanted to give the fans an idea about what we wanted to do if only Mattel wouldn't have drop upon us all those restrictions

I liked this issue. I would much rather get characters' histories/origins that a bunch of pages filled with "Boom! Pow!" action sequences.

I don't remember what happened in the cartoon and i don't have a copy; I know the audience learned that Faceless One was Evil Lyn's father, but did she ever find that out?
    Since Keldor took Evil Lyn as a baby and raised her as his own, does she think Keldor is her father?

Quote Originally Posted by Geek-Man
    I liked this issue. I would much rather get characters' histories/origins that a bunch of pages filled with "Boom! Pow!" action sequences.

I don't remember what happened in the cartoon and i don't have a copy; I know the audience learned that Faceless One was Evil Lyn's father, but did she ever find that out?
    Since Keldor took Evil Lyn as a baby and raised her as his own, does she think Keldor is her father?
    When she takes the Ram Stone back to The Faceless One she says something like, 'The things we do for family.' So I would definitely say she knows...

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Yeah, she knows....she hinted at it first when she said "The things we do for family" in "Lessons", and later the Faceless One said "...my daughter" after reading her note. And in "Price of Deceit", she calls out "...father..." after Skeletor blasts her and she's almost out of it.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

That was an awesome issue. I liked how that one character in the council had FA Skeletor's costume and that we got to see He-ro. Very cool. I really hope that the book will continue. Must have a Faceless One figure! One thing doesn't make sense to me though. How can Evil-lyn be a child when the Snakemen are around? How old is she?

Only thing I do not like about the art is Hsss. I like the cartoon version way better.

Amazing issue guys and gals!!!
    I am fire made flesh, power incarnate, I am.... THE DARK PHOENIX!!!

The fire of the Phoenix burns through lies, you understand? The gaze of the Phoenix is like an x-ray tearing through every self-deception. So burn, Emma.
    Jean Grey, New X-men 139

Best. Issue. Ever.

Seriously, great job MVC on such an interesting story and history to our beloved MotU universe. I couldn't put this thing down as soon as I started reading. It's going to be tough waiting for issue 6!

Which makes me so sad that this ride will be ending after number 8.

Is this the issue that got Mattel's panties in a bunch? We get 'new' characters (the unnamed council), a new land (Zalesia), and of course the Faceless One's origin. Plus interesting tidbits regarding the historic relationship of Hiss, Keldor, and Lyn. If this book is only a glimpse of the work we could have seen coming out of MVC in volume 3, it just goes to show what greatness we could have had.

What Mattel has done is truly a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Phoenix
    That was an awesome issue. I liked how that one character in the council had FA Skeletor's costume and that we got to see He-ro.
    He-Ro?

HE-RO?

Ok, I'm more p*ssed at Mattel more than I was already for the whole mess with the comic being cancelled, especially if Val was going to go in THIS direction...

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    Neither of my local shops got it in.

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!
    I gotta say, if this series ends at 8 I will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO angry. THIS is what i love, The mythos of Eternia, not that I don't love the current stuff that happens there, but to me Eternia is a land of many traditons, the past plays a very big role in the present and future of Eternia...this issue was AMAZING!!!!!

As for "keldor" (i am sure that it was him) I don't think that he is in his time...I think somehow Hordak gave him the power to travel through time...another interesting thing....if he IS serving Hordak, I wonder why he wanted the child evil-lyn...It could also tie into a story of the kidnapping of Adora (not saying that it is going to be that way in this conception but it is worth pondering...)

Also in turning the faceless one to the faceless one, He-Ro seemed absent from the council...was this on purpose or just an artistic decision???
    Last edited by krosfyah; August 11, 2004 at 11:04pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I Loved It!

I LOVE THIS COMIC! THANKS GUYS! PLEASE DON'T LET THE COMIC END!

I have a few comments as well as Questions...

: I love the art, and the storyline was really good. The history of the Faceless One was great, and it made a lot of sense. I hope all the histories are as powerful as this one. I love the design of the buildings and backgrounds, especially the Council of Wisedom's area. It amazing how the villians can carry the story, and no one would miss He-Man or the Masters.

: I wish Skeletor will beat King Hiss Snake Azz! He needs it soooo badly. And what was up with the random dino-beast when Serpos was being captured? It had like no purpose being there.

: Of course I have more questions then answers. The flashback takes place in Pre-Eternia correct? So Evil Lyn is really old, or somehow Evil Lyn was taken into the future? I thought the Council of Elders put Serpos back into Snake Mountain? Is the Council of ELders the same as the Council of Wisedom? I really dont think the hooded man is Keldor, unless he came from the future? So complicated!!! Why is Fire Armor Skeletor part of the Council of Wisedom?? lol.

: He-Ro?? Amazing! Evil Lyn as a Baby, How cute! King Hiss Bald? Keep the Hat on!
    I am the center of my own Universe!

Ah, most confusing, isn't it?
    If only we had more freedom to slowly fill in the details for you.

catslyn
    I'm afraid this one is destined to generate many more questions than it answers, but isn't it marvelous fun!

I'm glad everyone is enjoying issue 5, and I also hope to see the comic continue as long as feasibly possible provided that Val and company still have money for silly little things like food.

Anyway, keep those theories coming folks!
    Last edited by catslyn; August 12, 2004 at 12:57am.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    will the .org exclusives be available @ WW CHGO??? i never got a chance to shoot up to graham crackers and pick it up, so i wanna be able to get it this friday if i can.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnQt
    : I wish Skeletor will beat King Hiss Snake Azz! He needs it soooo badly.
    I think Skelly has a plan...he isn't a hot head...he knows how to bide his time...
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Uhh...is their even a point in asking how this issue side stepped the legal department declaration? If you could publish this, then why couldn't you publish that other story with the female Guar? These cant be Mattel/MYP characters can they?

Another stupid question I know won't or can't be answered, but I'll ask it anyway...Does this fit in with MYP's timeline of events or is it independent of MYP? Does any of MYP flashbacks of ancient time apply to the comic story, if so witch ones?

Ok, last question I know you won't answer...was that the "cat lady" or not on the Council of Wise?

The He-Man.org exclusive reminds me of the cover to the Golden Book, Meteor Monster. That's also one of the few MOTU covers of the Super Adventure Series not painted by Earl Norem. Can't wait to own that cover...
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

I don't see any names for those individual characters in this issue.
    All I see are random, non reoccuring background characters.
    You work for Mattel, LFE?

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR
    Uhh...is their even a point in asking how this issue side stepped the legal department declaration? If you could publish this, then why couldn't you publish that other story with the female Guar? These cant be Mattel/MYP characters can they?

Another stupid question I know won't or can't be answered, but I'll ask it anyway...Does this fit in with MYP's timeline of events or is it independent of MYP? Does any of MYP flashbacks of ancient time apply to the comic story, if so witch ones?

Ok, last question I know you won't answer...was that the "cat lady" or not on the Council of Wise?

The He-Man.org exclusive reminds me of the cover to the Golden Book, Meteor Monster. That's also one of the few MOTU covers of the Super Adventure Series not painted by Earl Norem. Can't wait to own that cover...
    i think they p[layed a minor role and val fought tooth and nail to keep them in...
    as for the cover..THANK YOU it looked familiar but I couldn't place how. also by owning the cover, are you getting a print or the book?? if you dont mind me asking

Fear is faith in failure

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    This was an interesting book. Since the book is winding down, will we at least get some answers after the books are finished?
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

An issue like this, coming on the heels of talk that the comic may stop, makes it all the more tragic. This is the type of story that we want - fully realized characters; a world with diverse peoples and a deep and complex past; a gripping tale seemlessly part of a grander, sweeping epic.

I'm trying hard not to launch into a diatribe against those in Mattel who want to hold back the creative development of He-Man.

It's becoming bittersweet reading; something I suspect will become more intense with issues 6,7,8. Sweet because we're finally seeing Val & Emiliano really flex their muscles with the story, the dialogue is crisp, and the always beautiful artwork is showing rare skill at moving the story along. But it's bitter because it might end too soon.
    "Education makes a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but impossible to enslave."
    Lord Brougham 1778-1868

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nick
    I thought that Keldor was about the same age as Evil-Len.

Ahh, I have been thinking about this all day... here's my theory:

1) Evil Lyn was born back before Hordak invaded Eternia the FIRST time -- back before He-Ro and company helped banish King Hsss and the Snake Men... she's an ancient (technically)... but the guy in the cloak (obviously Keldor) offers to help Lord Zalesia by taking his daughter "to a place where even Hsss won't reach her." THE FUTURE... see this is what I meant by this new history not REALLy conflicting with the old Powers of Grayskull minicomic... Keldor was the "nameless one" who helped the Snake Men? anyway, it's Keldor in the cloak -- I think that is made clear by the hands and the arm braces --- but he's younger there --- he has no facial hair... but he's a good 18 years older than Evil Lyn I'd bet... he takes her to the future, raises her (there's got to be a great story there) and she looks to him as a father figure... she finds out about Faceless One/Lord Zalesia, and learns that he is her father... and it works out brilliantly because the elders made him a "ghost" -- to walk eternally without his humanity... so he could have lived all that time from WAY back then until now... it's Ironic, because the Elders, in "punishing" him, actually made it so that he could see and meet his daughter again... otherwise he would have died and been a DISTANT memory...

2) Keldor says: "Hsss is not my concern. I answer to a higher authority."
    is that authority Hordak?

3) the only weird thing about the Keldor taking Evil Lyn to the future, is this:

if Keldor was an ancient and took her to the future, then it's not all that confusing...

but if Keldor is a being of modern Eternia (like Randor), then he would have to have traveled back in time to save Evil lyn... but that just creates a vicious cycle -- like what came first? the chicken or the egg?? does he travel back in time to save Evil lyn because he went back in time once before and didnt and then she wasn't there when he came back to the future?? UGH... so I think it's a safer bet that Keldor is an ancient being too...

4) Does Hsss (modern Hsss) know/realize that Skeletor is/was Keldor and that he was the "cloaked one?"

oh and that blue lady on the Council of Wisdom is SO mean... what a nasty b---h!

oh and I loved when the snake lady and her baby were devoured by Serpos... I'm usually pretty sentimental when it comes to babies but in this case it was awesome because it brought some REALLY harsh reality to the Eternia of old... just what it must have been like to live then -- the wars seemed constant...

I also liked the fact that we weren't really sure if it was NIGHT TIME at Snake Mountain, or if it was the effects of the spell that created the Dark Hemisphere... I have a feeling it was just night... that the spell of separation hadn't been cast yet

-Brian
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 12, 2004 at 04:05am.