Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 213

Thread: Official Masters of the Universe #5 (Vol.3) Talkback

  1. #51
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    3,263
    Issue 5 was incredible! I don't have too much time now to go into it, but
    it was great seeing all the history.

    I suspect Keldor went back in time somehow, and
    that there was some dark plan afoot. However, upon his
    return to the present, I wonder if he gave up the child.
    Don't Keldor and Lyn "meet" for the first time in the "Price of Deceit"
    flashback?

    And ShawnQT, I'm almost sure that dino-beast is supposed to be
    Gigantosaur!!!

    Does this story take place before or after the King Grayskull stuff?

    MVC, I hope you can keep doing the comic beyond
    issue #8. This is great stuff.

    -Pennypunk
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by pennypunk
    Does this story take place before or after the King Grayskull stuff?
    Don't forget that we saw Zelacia intact in the "Powers of Grayskull" episode.

    As for my reaction: OMGOMGOMG!!!! Brilliant issue!!! Sweet Mother Mercy, I'm tearing my hair out that they won't let you finish this! I love the way you handled Keldor in the past. I'm 99% sure that's who it was, but I love the way you preserved the mystery. And the way you tied in the Havoc Staff was perfect! I don't know how all this connects to what we saw in the "Price of Deceit" flashbacks, but I know it will be interesting.

    I'm glad you found a way to show us some new designs, but dang do I hate that you couldn't name these people! I'll take a guess at who the members of the Council of Wisdom are based on (though they are not necessarily the same people). From the picture on page 6, going left to right:

    1--A fire person, possibly an ancestor of King Helios if not Helios himself. Great idea to use the Fire Armor Skeletor as the template!

    2--Some kind of alien-looking teenager. I don't know who he is, but he has Tri-Klops's colors if that's a clue.

    3--He-Ro, looking sweet!

    4--Eldor, looking a little different than I thought he would but still very cool!

    5--A woman from the blue race (Guar?). I want to say she's a young Shokoti, but my guess is she's somebody new and might be related to the White Lady from the cover that never was. Given her mean cold-heartedness, I bet she resembles somebody in the legal department of a certain toy company.

    6--A guy with She-Ra's emblem. He-Ra? Light Hope? That guy opens up a lot of possibilities.

    7--A Starchild. I say "a" and not "the" because it appears to be a boy. I dare say he is my favorite of the bunch!

    8--Big Turtle guy. I have no idea who this could be, I don't even recognize his race. A Repton maybe?

    9--Another Blue person, but this one is an old man. He's too big to be Vormus, but I find the presence of two blue people most intriguing. I wish we knew more about this race, the mystery is killing me.

    Mattel, just shut up and make these figures!!! If you're worried about royalties to whoever owns the rights of the original characters, just change the names slightly! Shakoti, Starrchild, Helius. Easy! If it worked for bloody King Hsss, it should work for anybody!

  3. #53
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,295
    WELL! This has got to be my fav issue so far!!!! What a great issue! I love those ''random background'' characters, now I AM TRULY ****ed at Mattel for doing what they are doing. Would you believe figs of those people would sell? I sure do!! Aw man, I want more!!
    I wish I could write more but Gbagok pretty much said it all.

    WELL DONE MVC!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  4. #54
    Oracle of Fabulousity Kevenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    7,179
    I loved the latest issue. But not only was it SO KEWL to get all the cameos - Hero, Eldor, and all the kewl people on the council and Keldor too - but the part of the story that struck me the most was a father's love for his daughter - The Faceless One for Evil-Lynn, and more insight into her background - and her father's. I was truly touched by it. It was a fantastic issue, and it's a DAMN SHAME the comic might be ending soon.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

    "Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

    - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    East York, Ontario
    Posts
    1,876
    I have to agree with everyone one I say this was the best issue ever. And not once was there any Master in this issue. The artwork was beautiful and the story was brilliant. I can't believe Mattel is putting you guys in a gimp mask, creatively speaking, with all thiese darn restrictions and such. Even if at this time you guys are under such ridiculous limitations, you have showed us all you ability to tell great MOTU stories and I hope for things to continue. Can't wait for the next issue...

  6. #56
    Heroic Elder Hoffrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    681
    Does this story take place before or after the King Grayskull stuff?

    MVC, I hope you can keep doing the comic beyond
    issue #8. This is great stuff.

    -Pennypunk

    Seeing as how King Greyskull gave the Elders the power, I would have to say after. It was interesting to see the human flaws in the Elders, something every council would have.
    Darth Pardus

    Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

  7. #57
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    49
    Well now i'm even more sad why oh why does this have to END issue 5 was amazing I loved every panel of it honestly I read a fair few comics per month, (mostly from the larger companies) and I look forward to motu the most. The art and story is always of such a high quality.

    Val and the gang, is there really no deal which can be done? I would love to see myself in 5 years time reading issue 65 of MVC's MOTU hell will we ever see an MOTU Comic hit the 20 issue mark???

    Im off to the corner to sulk now

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod
    Seeing as how King Greyskull gave the Elders the power, I would have to say after. It was interesting to see the human flaws in the Elders, something every council would have.
    The group we see in Issue 5 isn't the Council of Elders though. They're called the Council of Wisdom. However I think you're right that this is set after Grayskull's death because he visited Zelacia before it's destruction. I'm not sure what happened to the Elders, but possibly they did not take direct action during that time period the same as they are doing in He-Man's time?

    And I agree with Kevenn that the real star of this issue is the Faceless One. I always knew he had to have a tragic backstory, and this exceeded my expectations. Really a great issue, I cannot wait for issue 6!

  9. #59
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,295
    This is probably the Snake-Men's ''Second Age'' after they were defeated by Hordak. I assume before Hordak (Preternia) was their ''First Age'' and currently they are in their ''Third Age''.... Just my interpretation though.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  10. #60
    Oracle of Fabulousity Kevenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    7,179
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    And I agree with Kevenn that the real star of this issue is the Faceless One. I always knew he had to have a tragic backstory, and this exceeded my expectations. Really a great issue, I cannot wait for issue 6!
    Thanx. I think stories like this hit me even more, because I read them, and I wish that I had parents who loved me as much as the Faceless One obviously loves his daughter. I read stories, watch television shows and movies, where the parents ultimately love their child more than anything else, and do whatever they can to help them, and I wish I could know what that is like.

    I guess it's a testament to good writing on behalf of the plotters and the scripter that I'm moved so much by it. Great job, guys!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

    "Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

    - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    2,473
    WOW! What a mindblowing issue. The quality of the comic is constantly go upwards from day one and now it appears that it will be done soon. That is so unfair.

    All of you guys at MVC did a great job on the comic. It can truly bee seen that you work with your heart and soul on this product. You can see that in the artwork and in the story. You truly know what MotU is all about and what MotU fans want to see.

    I for my part am a huge fan of origin stories and I´m an even bigger fan of everything that concerns Preternia. And now this issue comes along making my MotU fan heart so warm as it never was before. I would truly hate to see the comic come to an end.

    I know many may not agree with me, but I can live without new toys but it would pain my heart a lot to see the comic come to an end.

    BTW, a totally different thing. What exactly is it that Emiliano meant when he said that we fans will be totally mad at him, Val and the others at MVC once we´ve read issue # 5? I think this is the best one so far.


    Take care. And keep up the good work...as long as you can.

  12. #62
    The power has returned MOTUfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    **** Rapids, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Tytus
    WOW! What a mindblowing issue. The quality of the comic is constantly go upwards from day one and now it appears that it will be done soon. That is so unfair.

    BTW, a totally different thing. What exactly is it that Emiliano meant when he said that we fans will be totally mad at him, Val and the others at MVC once we´ve read issue # 5? I think this is the best one so far.


    Take care. And keep up the good work...as long as you can.
    I think that may just be the reason right there. That they were afraid that we would love this particular issue so much and want answers to questions that this issue brings up that they might not be able to answer due to restrictions nor have time to answer them if #8 is indeed the last issue ever

    I also love the fact that no names were used but you guys still used many of the characters that you wanted to

    Great issue. I loved it

    Brent
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

  13. #63
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke
    the best line: "Hssss is no concern of mine -- I answer to a higher authority..."
    uhm, can you say HORDAK??
    While Keldor was probably a student of Hordak's at the time,
    ultimately, Keldor/Skeletor really only answers to
    one power - HIMSELF! I think that's probably what he meant.

    I agree, the Faceless One's tragic origin was very well-crafted and heart-wrenching. What a great story.

    Gbagok, thanks for pointing out Zalesia's non-destroyed
    status during the time of King Grayskull. I'd love to see MVC do
    a timeline of some kind. This would have been perfect for
    the now-cancelled MOTU Encyclopedia.

    -Pennypunk
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; August 12, 2004 at 06:30pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

  14. #64
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,063
    [QUOTE=pennypunk] Gbagok, thanks for pointing out Zalesia's non-destroyed
    status during the time of King Grayskull. I'd love to see MVC do
    a timeline of some kind. This would have been perfect for
    the now-cancelled MOTU Encyclopedia.


    I was going to say that we don't really know how much time went by between the release of Serpos and the destruction of Zalesia... but then I remembered that Keldor took baby Evil Lyn, who looked the same (hadn't aged at all really) right as Serpos was coming to Zalesia... so... there goes that theory...

    -Brian

  15. #65
    The Dark Knight BigDaddy Grayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,039
    just got thru reading it and i thought it was great. at the end i was like noooo! i want more!! the art and writing were both awesome. i definitely cannot wait for the conclusion to this arc which i think is the best one yet.

    -BDG
    By The Power of.... BigDaddy!!

    "If you will not hear the Truth, no one can tell you."

    Batman:YTB Batman...Yesterday, Today and Beyond! Home of the Internet's Biggest and Best website and forum regarding Batman!

    .Org Wrestling Discussion WWE,TNA and whatever else youd like to talk about. The absolute greatest discussion forum for wrestling fans.. ever!

  16. #66
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    227
    Ok I can't believe I'm the only one that gets what happened here.
    After I read it and was somewhat disgusted as predicted by Emiliano, though part of me is glad it happened too. I admit my jaw dropped at the near universal praise this got, plus the unanswered questions people were posing that seem obvious to me. Here's some answers for you all.

    Firstly why did Emiliano predict people would be mad at issue 5?

    Answer: Because the MVC continuity just made a huge deviation from the MYP continuity. The council of wisdom IS the council of Elders. Just read this or any of the 80's material on the Elders.

    http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/...10/05-06.shtml

    In the 80's continuities the Elders were a society of wizards just like in issue 5. In the MYP continuity of course this isn't the case. The Elders are the band of Warriors that rode with King Grayskull and recieved his power. All of those council cameos that you are all so excited about just came at the price of the elimination of the MYP Elders, and all of the cartoon material with them in it. King Grayskull might be completely gone too if I'm right. Of course that begs the question of why there's an ancient Castle Grayskull (not the transformed hall of wisdom like in the 80's however) with no King Grayskull? That's what happens when continuity is messed with, things stop making sense. No king Grayskull no Hordak's destroyed body - Just like Val said about Hordak's body?

    Still don't believe me? In the classic "Golden Disks of Knowledge" the Elders are refered to as the Council of the Wise. Issue 5 they are called the council of Wisdom. Heck both stories feature a character punished by the council.
    And back to MOTU2002 council of wisdom returns serpos to snake mountain just as the Elders did in the cartoon flashback. They have a treaty with King Hiss just like in the cartoon where Zodac and his brother were sent negotiating on behalf of the Elders. They are doing the same thing because they are the same "character" with radically different origins 80's He-ro in MVC - King Grayskull in MYP.

    See also the Shard of Darkness comic where He-ro banishes the snakemen not Zodac and the Elders like in the cartoon. Then look at the Ultimate Battleground comic and that banishment of the snakemen.

    That kind of renders the timeline questions moot. Not after King Grayskull but instead of.

    Question 2 Who's Keldor working for?

    Well this was hinted at when that Keldor as Randor's brother argument was going on and Emiliano was very fond of the Search for Keldor origin of Skeletor even though it was obsolete with the MYP Hordak's Temple transformation. I'm just surprised it showed up so soon.


    Keldor is serving the unnamed one/God of the Snakemen from this interview and the Powers of Grayskull minicomic. http://www.he-man.org/site_sects/spe...lt_grant.shtml

    Is he lost in time like the 80's Keldor? Was that silly (for MOTU2002) brothers thing going to be kept? Don't know, but that's the origin of Keldor's appearance in issue 5. Is Hordak the Snakemen's unnamed one? I doubt it.

    Question 3 Baby Evil Lyn stuff?

    Well if the continuities have radically split all of the cartoon material where its clear that Evil-lyn was raised by the faceless one may not apply here. Keldor meeting his girlfriend/daughter like in price of deceit may not cross continuites well without out a whole lot of fanwanking at $2.95 an issue to get them back together in time for them to meet like in the cartoon flashback.

    In a way this whole volume 3 story is like baby Lyn - an abomination that has no business existing.

    --------------

    Well there you go that's why they were expecting people to be mad. Strangely I can't quite pin down why I was mad. I enjoy the different continuities in the 80's why not now. Maybe because MVC has always really wanted to use the comic to tell New Adventures etc. stories not MYPMOTU2002 continuity stories and that baffels me. How's that any different from MYP adapting the classic arcs? Probably just motive. Like I said I can't pin it down.

    Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but that just demonstrates where I am now - I wouldn't put anything past MVC. There is no anachronism too out of place for the comic in my opinion and I don't like anachronisms.

    I was also mad on behalf of all you people who would never believe they would make a change this radical from the cartoon don't have a clue why Emiliano said people would be mad. Also on behalf of all you people who were furious at people like me who were silly to deny these events could have happened in the cartoon albeit unseen. You lose now.
    This really isn't the cartoon now.

    But I'm glad too because this certainly will prevent the comic fans from retconning the cartoon with MVC's different vision of MOTU2002. Maybe someday I'll be able to appreciate each continuity on its own but right now I won't be too dissappointed the comic is ending since it doesn't respect the motifs that I think made the MYP continuity unique from the 80's continuites.
    Changing the Elders back into a society of Wizards is the ultimate example of that. All the comic is to me now is an anachronistic mess putting dragged out 80's stories inbetween rewritten 2002 episodes. With good art and writing mind you, I don't like the choices but I'm not dissing the talent.

    I guess we'll see who rises up out of Castle Grayskull to reimprison Serpos, I call you'll be seeing the council of wisdom

    Lucas Bachmann
    Last edited by Lucas Redux; August 13, 2004 at 12:32am.

  17. #67
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Redux
    King Grayskull might be completely gone too if I'm right. Of course that begs the question of why there's an ancient Castle Grayskull (not the transformed hall of wisdom like in the 80's however) with no King Grayskull? That's what happens when continuity is messed with, things stop making sense. No king Grayskull no Hordak's destroyed body - Just like Val said about Hordak's body?
    Actually in the Rise of the Snakemen comics (though an adaptation of the toon) There is a line Said by Hiss. "So it's true! the Power of the Elders resides in Grayskull's Castle!" Now this line wasn't in the toon, and i never caught on to it until AFTER seeing the Power of Grayskull Episode. but that line alone means that MVC recognizes King Grayskulls Existence. To me it does.

    as for your other points...They mention the Council of Elders in the comic...earlier issues do, so that doesn't erase them...I honetly think the council of Wisdom is a different sect all together. Now I am not saying that Val and Co. are trying to stick right with the toon, in fact they admitted that they wanted to change somethings because the toon had some continuity errors...as well in the Shard of Darkness, the council of ELDERS not the council of Wisdom gets rid of the shard..while the ANCIENTS created the crystal...also it says that the forces of evil were THOUGHT to have been banished...so i think that the council of wisdom is a totally different group...since the Elders have been mentioned before as were the ancients.

    So i don't think anyone has been erased, but timelines have certainly changed.

    Also I don't think MVC wants to make MOTU NA...they love MOTU too much...but they love ALL facets of He-Man. and wanted to include all of it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  18. #68
    Flipsidephilly
    Guest
    Can't we get some sort of official timeline online? From someone at MVC? Just in a post or something. Because now, after reading this issue, I am really confused. I was really hoping that the comic and cartoon continuity would be one and the same. So? Come on, someone post a timeline of the story so far. Please?

  19. #69
    Heroic Warrior Willustrator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    204
    Oh my god. U CANNOT stop the comic. This issue has devoured all my fears of it. It is Brilliant. So much Backstory. So much room for development of characters. It truely is powerful
    Check out my Comic book art
    sliney.blogspot.com

  20. #70
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    29,527
    Lucas:

    It still fits with the cartoon.
    Of course, all you know is what you see at the moment and I'm not giving up the details to piece it all together.
    But think what ya want, and argue what you want.
    It's entertaining.

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,116
    waits for it to go live at the he-store.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  22. #72
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Redux
    Also on behalf of all you people who were furious at people like me who were silly to deny these events could have happened in the cartoon albeit unseen. You lose now.
    This really isn't the cartoon now.
    You forgot to say we lose times infinity.

    At the risk of being labeled an apologist in true bitter Star Wars fan fashion, I offer the following points:

    Council of Elders vs Council of Wisdom
    The example you give is not a very good one since in that mini comic there is no mention of the Elders or the Council of Wisdom, only vague references to "the Ancients" who frankly could be a third body altogether if they were brought into the new continuity. Also, as people like yourself who hate the "Keldor is Randor's brother" idea have often repeated, you can't assume everything that happened in the old continuity will happen exactly the same way in the new one (if they happen at all). From what I can see, the Council of Wisdom only defeated Serpos, they didn't banish the Snake Men in place of Zodak and the Elders. True we saw the Elders defeat Serpos on the cartoon, but in case you didn't notice, he was defeated several freaking times. I like that the Elders weren't the only ones ever powerful enough to do it.

    Keldor's Master
    That old interview is awfully vague about the Nameless One. The interview only states that he/she/it had something to do with Keldor's transformation. This could just as easily mean Hordak learned how to do what he did from the Nameless One. So even if they used the Nameless One in the new canon, that by itself doesn't contradict what we've seen on the cartoon. You seem to have missed the whole point of that interview too. In the old line, Mattel had no plan or vision for MOTU's story. MVC does, and I trust it.

    Baby Lyn
    The only contradiction here is if you're actually foolish enough believe Keldor when he says he'll raise Lyn. Even the King of Zelacia didn't believe him, but he had no other choice to save her life. The cartoon never said Lyn was raised by her father either. It only established that they were father and daughter, that they knew of that relation, and that they weren't exactly enemies or allies. The comics have not contradicted that.
    Last edited by gbagok; August 13, 2004 at 11:16am.

  23. #73
    catslyn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    You forgot to say we lose times infinity.

    At the risk of being labeled an apologist in true bitter Star Wars fan fashion, I offer the following points:

    Council of Elders vs Council of Wisdom
    The example you give is not a very good one since in that mini comic there is no mention of the Elders or the Council of Wisdom, only vague references to "the Ancients" who frankly could be a third body altogether if they were brought into the new continuity. Also, as people like yourself who hate the "Keldor is Randor's brother" idea have often repeated, you can't assume everything that happened in the old continuity will happen exactly the same way in the new one (if they happen at all). From what I can see, the Council of Wisdom only defeated Serpos, they didn't banish the Snake Men in place of Zodak and the Elders. True we saw the Elders defeat Serpos on the cartoon, but in case you didn't notice, he was defeated several freaking times. I like that the Elders weren't the only ones ever powerful enough to do it.

    Keldor's Master
    That old interview is awfully vague about the Nameless One. The interview only states that he/she/it had something to do with Keldor's transformation. This could just as easily mean Hordak learned how to do what he did from the Nameless One. So even if they used the Nameless One in the new canon, that by itself doesn't contradict what we've seen on the cartoon. You seem to have missed the whole point of that interview too. In the old line, Mattel had no plan or vision for MOTU's story. MVC does, and I trust it.

    Baby Lyn
    The only contradiction here is if you're actually foolish enough believe Keldor when he says he'll raise Lyn. Not even the King of Zelacia didn't believe him, but he had no other choice to save her life. The cartoon never said Lyn was raised by her father either. It only established that they were father and daughter, that they knew of that relation, and that they weren't exactly enemies or allies. The comics have not contradicted that.
    Your comments about Keldor, Evil-Lyn and the Faceless One are very observant. Much of their backstory still remains unseen. I don't know, with the state of the comic's future, if that backstory will ever have a chance to be told. However, I can say that, ultimately, it does not contradict the cartoon.

  24. #74
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah
    Actually in the Rise of the Snakemen comics (though an adaptation of the toon) There is a line Said by Hiss. "So it's true! the Power of the Elders resides in Grayskull's Castle!" Now this line wasn't in the toon, and i never caught on to it until AFTER seeing the Power of Grayskull Episode. but that line alone means that MVC recognizes King Grayskulls Existence. To me it does.
    Ok I forgot about that thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah
    as for your other points...They mention the Council of Elders in the comic...earlier issues do, so that doesn't erase them...I honetly think the council of Wisdom is a different sect all together.
    Sounds like Val said I'm officially wrong, maybe I was looking for what I was supposed to be mad at and invented it but I know it sure wasn't because we'd all miss the comic.

    I'm not arguing the Elders don't exist, just that the Grayskull warrior elders got switched with the 80's Ancients, Council of the Wise, Council of the Elders
    which are all synonymous. He-ro and company in the comic are doing what the Elders did in the cartoon. Returning Serpos to snakemountain and banishing the Snakmen. That combined with how these guys are what the Elders were in the 80's it seems natural to conclude the comic switched back to the 80's Elders.

    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah
    Now I am not saying that Val and Co. are trying to stick right with the toon, in fact they admitted that they wanted to change somethings because the toon had some continuity errors...as well in the Shard of Darkness, the council of ELDERS not the council of Wisdom gets rid of the shard..while the ANCIENTS created the crystal...also it says that the forces of evil were THOUGHT to have been banished...so i think that the council of wisdom is a totally different group...since the Elders have been mentioned before as were the ancients.
    I'm thinking that
    He-ro and company gets rid of the Shard because on the next page (relative to the ancients forging the crystal) it shows him getting rid of the snakemen too Clearly the Ancients (Council of wisdom) and the Elders coexist in that time period, but I think they are the same, otherwise we have the snakemen being banished twice and my friend Occam doesn't care for that. The Shard comics were written well before the nature of the 2002 elders was revealed (to us at least?) so MVC went with the Powers of Grayskull/three towers comics comic version of events because that's all there was - that is a council led by He-ro.

    Regardless the Council of wisdom is replacing the Elders for certain actions (or everything is being done twice) if not replacing them in personhood. What could make continuity people more predictably mad than persons being replaced? Then again maybe it was just for the Serpos being imprisoned differently than the cartoon. Regardless the farther away this gets from the cartoon the happier I am.

    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah
    So i don't think anyone has been erased, but timelines have certainly changed.

    Also I don't think MVC wants to make MOTU NA...they love MOTU too much...but they love ALL facets of He-Man. and wanted to include all of it
    All facets obviously, except for maybe the modern cartoon they are doing an episode adaption of. Don't get me wrong I accept the whole two continuities thing but we had the one continuity thing fed to us a long time too - and the cartoon defined what MOTU2002 is like simply with the bulk of material and that's not the direction the comic wants. I can't pin down exactly how its different with the comic versus the cartoon taking old material maybe because it sounds like NA he-man and MYP he-man carry equal weight for making MVC MOTU2002 the way they'd want, but MVC he-man looks almost exactly like MYP he-man - resulting in my cognitive dissonance.

    But the thread wanted to know why people would be mad, I explained why - and like I said origially I might end up totally wrong. Enjoy the entertainment Val.

  25. #75
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    You forgot to say we lose times infinity.

    At the risk of being labeled an apologist in true bitter Star Wars fan fashion, I offer the following points:

    Council of Elders vs Council of Wisdom
    The example you give is not a very good one since in that mini comic there is no mention of the Elders or the Council of Wisdom, only vague references to "the Ancients" who frankly could be a third body altogether if they were brought into the new continuity. Also, as people like yourself who hate the "Keldor is Randor's brother" idea have often repeated, you can't assume everything that happened in the old continuity will happen exactly the same way in the new one (if they happen at all). From what I can see, the Council of Wisdom only defeated Serpos, they didn't banish the Snake Men in place of Zodak and the Elders. True we saw the Elders defeat Serpos on the cartoon, but in case you didn't notice, he was defeated several freaking times. I like that the Elders weren't the only ones ever powerful enough to do it.
    There's no mention of the council of Elders in the old comic because they were using an alternate name for the same group. The 80's elders were a society of wizards from the Castle Grayskull book to the three towers minicomics. The only place where a group called the ancients seems to be separate is those ghosts in the filmation cartoon's that are deep in the ground. And probably now in the comic since I'm probably wrong.

    Notice Several freaking times?? Once in the cartoon's past, once in the cartoons present, and once in the comics past which is very likely an alternate version of the cartoons past. That's twice.

    He-ro banished the snakemen in the Shard comic.

    How I wish that whole Jungle/snakemountain thing was cleared up. I'll point out there is no jungle around snakemountain in the comic #5 (there was in the trilogy) which if this were strict cartoon continuity would put us just before the snakemen banishment. I wouldn't depend too much on the jungle though since it seems to be at the artists whim.

    Clearly King Hiss is well established still like after he regrouped in the cartoon after Hordak was gone - indicating the same time period is being covered in the cartoon and comic's differently, not things are repeating themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    Keldor's Master
    That old interview is awfully vague about the Nameless One. The interview only states that he/she/it had something to do with Keldor's transformation. This could just as easily mean Hordak learned how to do what he did from the Nameless One. So even if they used the Nameless One in the new canon, that by itself doesn't contradict what we've seen on the cartoon. You seem to have missed the whole point of that interview too. In the old line, Mattel had no plan or vision for MOTU's story. MVC does, and I trust it.
    I did say thats the origins of Keldor in the past but of course I don't know how much has changed but the old stuff is a good way to understand it. He's allied with King Hiss just like the classic Powers of Grayskull line would have so it's natural to conclude the Nameless one is also around directing the two. The two motifs ought to be highly correleated.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    Baby Lyn
    The only contradiction here is if you're actually foolish enough believe Keldor when he says he'll raise Lyn. Even the King of Zelacia didn't believe him, but he had no other choice to save her life. The cartoon never said Lyn was raised by her father either. It only established that they were father and daughter, that they knew of that relation, and that they weren't exactly enemies or allies. The comics have not contradicted that
    No they created a bunch of questions they won't have time to clean up. Before we had just a rebellious daughter who thought Keldor was hot. Now we have what? An kidnapped Adora like story with an unknown villian, and Lyn gets free at some unknown point but knows who her father is?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •