Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Thing (1982).

Heroic Warrior

The Thing (1982).

Simply the greatest of all horror and Sci-fi remakes ever! John Carpenter and company set out to reimagine the 1951 movie "Thing from Another World" but made it faithful to the original story that started it all.

The film stars Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, Richard Dystrat, Keith Davis and an all male cast with great gory and unique special effects by Stan Winston and Rob Bottin. The film came out in june of 1982 three weeks after E.T. premiered, audiences and critics were repulsed by this film and it bombed badly as they wanted friendly aliens instead of killers. It got life again on cable, video, DVD, Blu-Ray and other merchandise over the years since it's inital release thus becoming a great cult fave that has gotten more love.

I loved this since i was 16 back in 1997 when i rented it on video, such a graphic yet simple and entertaining horror Sci-fi combo that manages to be superior to the original movie.

A prequel is being done for Halloween or Thanksgiving this year.

I've seen it a few times. It was pretty sweet, and aged well.

Heroic Warrior
    It has stood the test of time and still popular yet beloved as it was back in the 90's.

Are you excited for the upcoming prequel? John Carpenter is gonna be producer with a German director as the director, it's gonna be about the Norweigians and the writers of the Battlestar Galactica series are writing.

Ahhh, before the age of "reboots", one of the few remakes to get it right. I miss true filmmaking. Even Spielberg can't get it right anymore.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Master of New Adventures!
    Amen. Man does it hold up. Great performances by a fabulous cast that had killer chemistry.

My ten-year old Alex is rarely scared by films. PREDATOR, TERMINATOR, MATRIX -- none of this fazes him. When one of my friends recently asked him why he's not frightened by movies, Alex answered, "'cause I know there's a big ol' fat guy on the other side of the camera smokin' a cigar and when they call cut he's gonna go get a couple of beers." (The kid's been on too way many movie sets.)

But when he started watching THE THING and the dog does its thing in the cell he laid rubber with his Nikes on the floor getting out of the room.

Simply one of my favorites, and a good thinking-person's horror film to boot...no doubt one of the reasons why it's held in high regard on the board.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 12, 2010 at 05:53pm.

Loved this one! Ya know, once I got older and stopped covering my eyes when jumpy things happened. A testament to movie magic! I love all the horrifying effects and monsterous stuff. I'm not a CGI hater, but I won't lie: the stuff in The Thing will always be scarier that way than computer animated. Just awesome.

Anyway, a prequel sounds cool! It's not a remake, which that movie does NOT need, so I'm interested to see what else they can do with the idea of a symbiotic horror.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I also think this is one of the greatest horror movies of all time. It's funny, because many shots in this movie where a body part or someone turns into an alien, you can tell that the body was replaced with a rubber lookalike. And while in most movies I have to laugh at how badly that rubber prop looks like the real thing, or how unrealistically it moves, it somehow actually makes the creature even scarier in this movie.

The scene with the dogs is still almost unwatchable for me to this day.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    I also think this is one of the greatest horror movies of all time. It's funny, because many shots in this movie where a body part or someone turns into an alien, you can tell that the body was replaced with a rubber lookalike. And while in most movies I have to laugh at how badly that rubber prop looks like the real thing, or how unrealistically it moves, it somehow actually makes the creature even scarier in this movie.

The scene with the dogs is still almost unwatchable for me to this day.
    My son will be relieved to hear he's not the only one who feels this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    But when he started watching THE THING and the dog does its thing in the cell he laid rubber with his Nikes on the floor getting out of the room.
    I didn't let my dog sleep in my room for 3 nights after I first saw the movie.

this is one of my FAVORITE movies of all time.

sometimes i will watch it and forget who is the thing and so it'll surprise me all over again lol.

i JUST bought this on blu ray and it does NOT disappoint at all. in fact i love it even more.

i even bought the video game a few years ago and it actually wasnt too bad. it was hard as hell though towards the end.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I love The Thing. One of my favorites and I will watch it whenever its on.

Check out this remake using G.I. Joe figures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7AH4JyuNs

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Ahhh, before the age of "reboots", one of the few remakes to get it right. I miss true filmmaking. Even Spielberg can't get it right anymore.
    So you think the 80's had the best remakes? i mean you got stuff like Scarface, Cat People, The Fly, The Blob, Night of the Living Dead and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Anyone thinks this movie is just as grim as today's shockers like "Hostel" or "Saw" in terms of films that go for the jugular and alienate the audience? well The Thing did the same thing back in 1982 as it nausated and repulsed audiences and critics.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I didn't let my dog sleep in my room for 3 nights after I first saw the movie.
    My wife didn't let me sleep in our room for 3 nights after she first saw the movie!

Heroic Warrior
    Well the film is meant to go for the jugular and shock audiences yet provoke imagination.

Can't believe it was released in the summer of 1982 during the same time as E.T., if only it was released in september then it would have gotten a better box-office chance. I do think E.T. is a masterpiece that i hold dear in my heart but THe Thing was in the wrong place at the wrong time, even the critics complaint on how graphic and vile this movie was at that year.

Heroic Warrior
    This movie is a true masterpiece! It easily holds up to many viewings, as I can't even count how many times I've watched it. It has really stood the test of time and I'm sure in the future it will still be seen as the classic that it is.

Originally Posted by CropsySo you think the 80's had the best remakes? i mean you got stuff like Scarface, Cat People, The Fly, The Blob, Night of the Living Dead and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
    Some real great ones you've got there. I'll use the three you gave me to further explain, but the basic difference is this: Remakes (or more correctly Reboots) made today add nothing significant to the stories/characters/genres than they did before. Batman is a perfect example. The 1989 version was significantly darker than the 1960's version and blew it away on all fronts: character, story, style and the superhero genre itself until Blade came out (IMO). There simply wasn't alot of new ideas in Batman Begins, but I will grant Heath Ledger bring something new to the Joker mythos in The Dark Knight Returns. Apart from that, it doesn't establish much more than the 1989 version did.

Reboots are much more superficial than actual remakes. They might have a new style, but they don't add much if any depth to the character as previously portrayed on screen. We're only going to see more of them as Hollywood gets less and less willing to take chances. Take the recent talk of Spiderman and X-Men "reboots"; What more could they possibly add at this point? They must think we have the cinematic memory of mayflies!

The first HULK movie (2003) wasn't a remake or reboot, but it was so clumsily thrown together that it failed to add anything besides CGI. The second (2008) was an utter reboot, and it also failed to perform as hoped. More importantly, it failed to do anything substantially different as a movie. The same kinds of sequences and awkward enemies, but no depth. It's a shame because character-wise, the Hulk has great potential.

A remake that could have been interesting was Superman. They didn't even bother to build a separate foundation after 20 years! They even used 30 year-old footage of Brando. Lame.

Now some of the good "remakes" that you mentioned...

Scarface:
    Really great example here because they made so many changes to the character and his backround, while still finding common ground with the old one. They transfered what was essentially Al Capone's meteoric rise and fall in
    the crime world in 1930s Chicago to a Cuban immigrant in late seventies/early eighties Miami. Instead of alcohol being the primary source of income, it was cocaine. Despite all the modern updates, it reflected the same kind of corruption that comes with that kind of power.

What's even better about it is that it stands by itself. Everything about that film gave you the impression that Chicago must have been a walk in the park compared to the wild in-your-face violence that was Brian DePalma's specialty in those days. I really felt hopeless in the end!

The Thing:
    Same artic backrop, but an alien with horrifyingly new characteristics. What was really awesome about this movie was the alien's ability to mask itself as a normal human being and to transmit itself like a virus through bodily
    fluids. This was the first horror movie that for me, really made use of paranoia as a palpable force. You wanted to trust MacReady and Childs but you never quite knew what was going to happen even after the credits rolled! Blows the original out of the ice water!!!
    Again, it stands on its own.

The Fly:
    The Fly was really good, albeit not as good of a remake as The Thing or Scarface because unlike the others, it did not succeed in eclipsing the original's horror element. The Fly was more a meditation on progressive alienation and decay. It was more finely tuned to Grundel's self examination and ultimately to his demise. Looking at it as a whole, I'm not sure that the moral of the story was a strong one, but at least it took a much more realistic take on a somewhat clunky Sci-Fi theme from the 50's.

Not all remakes back then were that good. The Blob was a good example of this. Some concepts, like The Fly, really lose their impact after their first appearance. I honestly don't know what the Blob could have added to really set it apart from previous versions, but I guess the difference between the way remakes were approached back then to how they are now is, dump ALOT of money into special effects and big names and hope people fall for it (which is the same approach for most films). Very rarely is there any kind interesting subtext or moral to the story. But even that can get bungled (The Happening).

You may not agree with me on these points, but I think we'll both agree that I've gone on far too long about it!

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion.
    Last edited by Inhibitor; January 13, 2010 at 04:21am.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Heroic Warrior
    What about Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of The Dead, Last House on The Left, The Hills Have Eyes, The Departed, King Kong, The Ring, Three Men and a Baby, etc.? all good remakes.

And do you think Hostel and Saw are as shocking as The Thing? cause back then in the 80's audiences and critics were repulsed by The Thing.

Good film, not seen it in years will have to watch it again soon.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

A first

Well for me this is a first -- eighteen posts in a row in which all orgers are in complete agreement!

This is certainly a tribute to The Thing -- and a well deserved one if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Well for me this is a first -- eighteen posts in a row in which all orgers are in complete agreement!

This is certainly a tribute to The Thing -- and a well deserved one if you ask me.

lol isnt that the 4th sign of the apocalypse??

side note i listened to your interview on the masterscast(yeah i am behind a bit lol) and it was really good and entertaining.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    lol isnt that the 4th sign of the apocalypse??

side note i listened to your interview on the masterscast(yeah i am behind a bit lol) and it was really good and entertaining.
    Only if the 18th post in a row happens in 2012.

Glad you liked the masterscast interview. I really enjoyed doing it and they were very gentle with me.

If you liked that you might enjoy taking a look at The New Adventures of He-man 1990 Annual thread in the NA forum. From post 23 on I get into where I'd hoped to go in Season Two of NA. Of course it was all speculation, but an interesting intellectual execise and there was some great fan interaction, which -- positive, constructively negative or otherwise -- any writer is fortunate to have.

I hated The Thing. (actually, I love it, but i don't want the apocalypse to happen anymore then anyone else!)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The Thing is an awesome movie! I like Kurt Russell's portrayal of Jack Burton, a truck driver who gets stuck in Chinatown visiting a friend in Chinatown and ends up saving the world from an alien invasion. Wait...I'm mixing up my movies.

No, The Thing is where all the heores sacrifice themselves to preserve the world. That's the way it should be. A good film will always keep the audience on the edge of their seats. And how do you do that? By making them unsure if the protagonists will survive which this film did magnificently. What kind of true fear can you instill in the audience if they know the main characters are in no "real" danger and will live at the end. That's why The Thing is a great film in my opinion.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

The Thing is quite simply one of the 5 greatest horror films ever made. Maybe THE greatest.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

I actually watched this all the way through for the first time about a week or two after my son was born. My wife would've probably watched it with me, but she was too tired. I now want to read the short story Who Goes There? that it was based on. It was some really cool stuff. It would've been nice if I would've stayed with it when I was a lot younger instead of turning it off to play video games after they rescued the "dog" at the very beginning.

You know, maybe it was a good thing I turned it off because I was like 10 or so. Anyway, I also can't help but think the special effects reflected a lot of the otherworldly designs that came out of Anime at that point. Movies like Wicked City and Vampire Hunter D come specifically to mind.

Peace.