Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghosts - do you believe?

Ghosts - do you believe?

I won't go into the religious side of ghosts, lest this get moved to the tar swamp... but have you had any experiences?

I've had a few odd occurrences, two lately.

shore house - 2:30 AM. loud party across the street. it finally dies down because someone calls the cops on them. I try to go back to sleep and hear two taps. Then, five that sound like footsteps on our new hardwood floor. at first I think it's someone walking to the bathroom, but then I think, no one would be wearing shoes.

year round house - I'm about to head up stairs.. I take one step up, and all of a sudden hear a short burst of glasses clanking. Never heard before or since..and only glasses would be in the cabinet, clear across the room.

year round house - stereo turns itself on

year round house - strong smell of perfume and an urge to not want to be in my room. Hair also stood on end

shore house - 2:30 AM knock on closet door. Also a same night with a loud party right across the street at the same house.

shore house - another stereo malfunction, no where near the unit.

shore house - ornament on top of refrigerator falls off top of fridge. This one might be debunkable depending on where it was located, but it's only happened once.

it's the weirdest thing, but anything something strange happens, it's only a one time thing, usually spread over the course of months or years, but it does make one wonder...
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Ghosts - do you believe?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I'm gona say no, but only because of lack of personal evidence. I work directly in a place that many people have seen, heard, or felt strange things. It's an old house that is attached to a library (main library was built in the 50's, the house was built in 1898 and is pretty much untouched save for new wiring, tiling on the floors, and an added elevator on the side attached to the library). We've got stories of apparitions, lights going on after locking up for the night, noises, and the most current event was one of the desk workers witnessing a pile of table legs (naturally, on a table) rise up slightly and clatter back down.

Now....I haven't seen, heard, or felt a single thing myself. And I'm IN the house. All the time. At night. Sometimes I've run back in to get something after we close, while the lights are out. Absolutely nothing. So I can't technically call it "haunted" from personal experience. On the other hand, the desk worker I was talking about isn't the kind of person to make up stories like that. She's practical, and she hasn't given me any reason not to trust her over the years she's been here. So what is up with the house? Hard to say. I guess, like I said, my answer is technically "no." Only technically. I am open to the idea, I've spent time with friends talking on the subject and going places that are supposed to be haunted...but I haven't experienced a single thing.

The library where I work is the real kicker, though. You work in this house for so many years and nothing happens...you kinda lose hope in ever seeing anything you can't explain.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Yes - much personal experience. There is TONS of evidence out there, too. Some people do not want to believe some things even if it is literally in their lap; they'll just push the evidence or notion aside because they like life better if they believe it not to be true.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Yes I believe. I've had many strange things happen throughout my life. However the story I'll share isn't actually about me...It's my wife's cousin's three year old son. He often talks about "grandma sally" being with him. In the car, in the house, ect. It only happens on occasion but when it does he gets real excited. However Sally died in the early 90s.. Being the age he is they hadn't really talked about her either until this began. I will say that he named her instantly out of pictures before he was told who she was as well. That's gotta be more than coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Yes I believe. I've had many strange things happen throughout my life. However the story I'll share isn't actually about me...It's my wife's cousin's three year old son. He often talks about "grandma sally" being with him. In the car, in the house, ect. It only happens on occasion but when it does he gets real excited. However Sally died in the early 90s.. Being the age he is they hadn't really talked about her either until this began. I will say that he named her instantly out of pictures before he was told who she was as well. That's gotta be more than coincidence.
    stuff like this gives me hope.. it's too bizarre a coincidence to discount ;o).
    Geek Media -

As far as I'm concerned, they're just more enemies on the pile.
    So bring 'em on; I'll get to 'em, eventually.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Yes - much personal experience. There is TONS of evidence out there, too. Some people do not want to believe some things even if it is literally in their lap; they'll just push the evidence or notion aside because they like life better if they believe it not to be true.
    So, I leave this on the counter. in the morning, I notice that it's not there.not in the fridge either. I go to get a glass....look what I find. I'm the only one in the house. I REALLY don't remember putting it in the cabinet...

I have been known to sleep walk, but I usually remember what I did as a dream....

Geek Media -

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    stuff like this gives me hope..
    Hope for what?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

I have had two experiences with spirits in my life! Once when I was 6 the second was when I hit 16. Nothing since. It convinced me there is more, as on both occasions itjust happened.... It was never something I wanted or went looking for.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Yes I believe. I've had experiences.

However, when I was wandering around Gettysburg this past weekend I didn't see a lick. I felt sadness and pain, but saw no ghosts got no photos, none of that.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Nope. I think the quirks of human psychology more than explain all the ghost sightings that never seem to be reproducable
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Nope. I think the quirks of human psychology more than explain all the ghost sightings that never seem to be reproducable
    Until you actually see it right in front of your eyes and/or look at the evidence.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Until you actually see it right in front of your eyes and/or look at the evidence.
    The evidence always seems to be subjective in nature, which to me is a red flag.
    By the ancients!!!

The evidence always seems to be subjective in nature, which to me is a red flag.
    So if one appeared right in front of you, that would be subjective? Doesn't sound like you want to believe no matter what.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    So if one appeared right in front of you, that would be subjective? Doesn't sound like you want to believe no matter what.
    Even if something was to appear in front of you, how would you know that it was a ghost? How would you know that it was not a naturally-occurring phenomenon, an illusion, or a hallucination? It is big jump from "I saw or experienced something I cannot explain" to "I saw or experienced something I cannot explain, and I know exactly what it is, and it was a ghost." Interpreting what you experienced to reinforce what you already believe is confirmation bias. Anything other than "I saw or experienced something I cannot explain" is looking for reasons to believe no matter what.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Well, I believe in a variety of spiritual phenomena, but I don't feel particularly inclined to argue with those that don't. I have had experiences with something I cannot explain. I do not have any hard evidence of this experience. Oh, well. Guess someone else will have to joust with the skeptics today.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Even if something was to appear in front of you, how would you know that it was a ghost? How would you know that it was not a naturally-occurring phenomenon, an illusion, or a hallucination? It is big jump from "I saw or experienced something I cannot explain" to "I saw or experienced something I cannot explain, and I know exactly what it is, and it was a ghost." Interpreting what you experienced to reinforce what you already believe is confirmation bias. Anything other than "I saw or experienced something I cannot explain" is looking for reasons to believe no matter what.
    So, in other words, to you, ghosts don't exist - it's not provable, no matter what. Anything we see is just confirmation bias. Got it.

a hole in one usually only happens once in a life time, if that, and isn't reproducable...did it ever happen? #deepthoughts
    Geek Media -

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    So, in other words, to you, ghosts don't exist - it's not provable, no matter what. Anything we see is just confirmation bias. Got it.
    I did not state that the existence of ghosts is categorically unprovable, only that witnessing an unexplained phenomenon is not necessarily evidence of the existence of ghosts.

In other words, there are any number of possible explanations for witnessing something you cannot explain, so on what basis would you choose "ghosts" as the most plausible?

Choosing to explain an experience you cannot explain with an unexplainable phenomenon is not a real answer.

just a bit of a side note. three weeks ago, a co worker whose house IS haunted, came to me and said 4 people in the early morning hours (6:30) or so, heard what sounded like footsteps on the roof. they went outside, no one walking around on top and no animals (it's a hard to get to roof, without a huge ladder or crane). came back inside, thumping noise was still going. and it didn't last long.

It USUALLY happens in the morning hours, and is definetly NOT the air condition. However, I FINALLY heard it myself this afternoon. and I can see why it was hard to explain. It sort of sounds like heavy boots, but it doesn't travel. It was directly over the office we where in, or so it sounded like. yet, a co worker in a cubicle away from her heard it just as clearly.

and later on, I heard it VERY faintly in the BACK of the office, and it sounded more like moving footsteps.

we've been in this office 20 years, it only happened three weeks ago. I'm thinking of leaving a recorder and one of our FLIR camera's that we use to check offices with for electrical issues out and on all night, just to see if we catch anything..
    Geek Media -

If that happened I would at least consider it. But hallucination would be a more likely explanation
    By the ancients!!!

a hole in one usually only happens once in a life time, if that, and isn't reproducable...did it ever happen? #deepthoughts
    It is reproducible, and has been caught on video many times
    By the ancients!!!

just a bit of a side note. three weeks ago, a co worker whose house IS haunted, came to me and said 4 people in the early morning hours (6:30) or so, heard what sounded like footsteps on the roof. they went outside, no one walking around on top and no animals (it's a hard to get to roof, without a huge ladder or crane). came back inside, thumping noise was still going. and it didn't last long.

It USUALLY happens in the morning hours, and is definetly NOT the air condition. However, I FINALLY heard it myself this afternoon. and I can see why it was hard to explain. It sort of sounds like heavy boots, but it doesn't travel. It was directly over the office we where in, or so it sounded like. yet, a co worker in a cubicle away from her heard it just as clearly.

and later on, I heard it VERY faintly in the BACK of the office, and it sounded more like moving footsteps.

we've been in this office 20 years, it only happened three weeks ago. I'm thinking of leaving a recorder and one of our FLIR camera's that we use to check offices with for electrical issues out and on all night, just to see if we catch anything..