Thread: The Crow 20th anniversary

Heroic Warrior

The Crow 20th anniversary

This year is the 20th anniversary to one of the coolest comic book films, one of the finer 90s action films and a nice mix of gothic horror, realistic crime drama and dark fantasy.

This is Alex Proyas's best film with Dark City and what a nice cast this has like Brandon Lee (RIP), Ernie Hydson and David Patrick Kelly, atmosphere, gritty dark themes, grim violence and good storytelling.

I saw this movie 4 times in theaters when i was turning 13 and loved it, i even bought the graphic novel with the cards, t-shirt, mug, poster and CD soundtrack as it became one of my favorite movies ever.

The film has became an influential cult classic after being a box-office hit and critical hit and some directors like Christopher Nolan, Zack Snyder, Guillermo Del Toro and some others liked this one.

Who thinks this predates Nolan's Batman trilogy, Sin City, Watchmen etc. in terms of dark gritty atmospheric comic noir films?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

"Far enough! Far enough!"
    That was the chant from the gang members that killed Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) and his fiancé prior to his resurrection in The Crow.
    I also have watched The Crow but via YouTube. It is still regarded a cult classic today and is without doubt Lee's final movie before the shooting accident that took his life during filming.
    Last edited by Neophron; April 13, 2014 at 08:31am.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Heroic Warrior
    Who the hell would swallow bullets?

I thought they were chanting "Fire it up!"?
    Well anyway...
    This was thankfully one of those things that the majority of kids in my high school did NOT latch onto, and my brother and I could be creepy freaks in trench coats and no one knew what we were doing. Fortunately it was years before that whole trenchcoat mafia thing, and way before vampires were "in".
    Watching this movie again recently, it brings back a lot of memories. Mostly going to the comic book store, buying the latest issue of Heavy Metal, and going to the record store for whatever weird stuff we didn't have yet, then going home and watching The Crow. My brother and I had a routine, and it was fun while it lasted.

A few months ago convince my fiance to watch it, I almost told her before btw this is one of the greatest love stories ever, I decided not to. After she said it herself and that if I had told her that she wouldn't have watched it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    I thought they were chanting "Fire it up!"?
    They are.

I've always loved this movie. Caught it on Netflix a few weeks ago, still holds up. Ernie Hudson is good in pretty much anything he's in.

It's been that long, huh? Wow! I had a Crow t-shirt that I used to wear to school every Friday back in eighth grade for the longest time. I probably still have nearly every line of it memorized by heart. What's messed up is how I enjoyed the TV show of "The Crow" much more than the three sequels. For the past year or so there's been talk of doing a remake. I'm certain it won't even measure up to one of the crappy sequels let alone the original movie. Regardless, we can certainly thank the CGI effects most movie-goers complain about now for allowing "The Crow" to be completed after Brandon Lee's death.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Heroic Warrior
    I met Ernie Hudson and James O'Barr 3 years ago at one of my city's comic cons and comic expos, they were nice and i spoke with them plus got their autographs which was cool.

Who else noticed that Sully from Commando and Swan from Warriors was in this movie?

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    "Far enough! Far enough!"
    That was the chant from the gang members that killed Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) and his fiancé prior to his resurrection in The Crow.
    I also have watched The Crow but via YouTube. It is still regarded a cult classic today and is without doubt Lee's final movie before the shooting accident that took his life during filming.
    I believe it was actually "Fire It Up!" as MykeEdwards pointed out.

I loved The Crow. It was one of those movies that, like the original Star Wars, was kind of lightning in a bottle. Somehow it just clicked with the time when it came out. You can try to do it again, as many people have, but it won't be the same.

Ah man memories.. i saw this flick in the 11th grade ...literally the whole class went on opening nite...it was awesome..
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

I was a huge fan of the comic. And was thinking Brandon Lee was going to be a star. When I heard he was cast, I was excited. The day I walked in, my mom told me he had died, for some reason my heart sank as if I knew the guy. As time got closer I remember going into Sam Goody and seeing the soundtrack out, I think 2-3 months before the film was out. I also will never forget the conversation I had with Pix Posters when I called up to order the movie posters a month before the release in theatres.

"I'll take the teaser poster of The Crow."

"Okay."

"The theatre poster of The Crow."

"Okay."

"And anything else you have."

"Man, you really like The Crow."

"Yeah (tell story from above)"

"So do want to see it?"

"Oh yeah, I can't wait for it to come out."

"No, do you want to see it now? A buddy of ours gave us a screener, for 5 extra bucks I'll send you a VHS copy."

"Yeah! Okay!"

He charged my card and right after I hung up the phone I thought, "Did he just rip me off for five extra bucks?"

Nope. A few weeks later, I got the poster and a video. He had even cut out the logo and taped to the box for bootleggy box art.

I was the KING of my local comic shops as I went and showed them the film, but don't worry I was there opening weekend and saw it countless times on the big screen. I will always be grateful for that worker giving me a copy. As time went on, I bought EVERY piece of merch I could find from Kitchen Sink.

P.S.: It can't rain all the time...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployedskeletor View Post
    I was a huge fan of the comic. And was thinking Brandon Lee was going to be a star. When I heard he was cast, I was excited. The day I walked in, my mom told me he had died, for some reason my heart sank as if I knew the guy. As time got closer I remember going into Sam Goody and seeing the soundtrack out, I think 2-3 months before the film was out. I also will never forget the conversation I had with Pix Posters when I called up to order the movie posters a month before the release in theatres.

"I'll take the teaser poster of The Crow."

"Okay."

"The theatre poster of The Crow."

"Okay."

"And anything else you have."

"Man, you really like The Crow."

"Yeah (tell story from above)"

"So do want to see it?"

"Oh yeah, I can't wait for it to come out."

"No, do you want to see it now? A buddy of ours gave us a screener, for 5 extra bucks I'll send you a VHS copy."

"Yeah! Okay!"

He charged my card and right after I hung up the phone I thought, "Did he just rip me off for five extra bucks?"

Nope. A few weeks later, I got the poster and a video. He had even cut out the logo and taped to the box for bootleggy box art.

I was the KING of my local comic shops as I went and showed them the film, but don't worry I was there opening weekend and saw it countless times on the big screen. I will always be grateful for that worker giving me a copy. As time went on, I bought EVERY piece of merch I could find from Kitchen Sink.

P.S.: It can't rain all the time...
    Indeed! i dig the graphic novel as it's one of my favorites.

And were T-bird and his friends high when they were swallowing bullets? who would ever do such a dumb thing?

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Indeed! i dig the graphic novel as it's one of my favorites.

And were T-bird and his friends high when they were swallowing bullets? who would ever do such a dumb thing?
    Maybe they did it a lot and that is why they were not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

such a great movie andcool looking figures too ! RIP Brandon

Heroic Warrior
    i agree the toy was cool.

Who agrees this movie was long before The Dark Knight Trilogy, Sin City, Watchmen, Road to Perdition etc. in terms of dark gritty comic based noirs?

Tony Todd was fantastic in this movie and i knew it was Candyman when i saw him in the film.