Thread: Who wants to talk about power swords..?

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar

Who wants to talk about power swords..?

I feel a vague memory that everyone had a special sword back in the day.

So what does it mean?
    Why aren't there power swords everywhere anymore?
    What's your favorite?

Heroic Warrior
    it was a phase? a fad? the cool thing to have? everyone else had one. Short answer:I don't know.

In my opinion the same reason Megatron is NOT a gun anymore. Don't want little Johnny to have a sword cause he might stab someone

Lightsaber. Sure it's a dangerous weapon even though as the movies go along there's ways to counter them. Why? they made it so cool looking. The things that can be done with it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    it was a phase? a fad? the cool thing to have? everyone else had one. Short answer:I don't know.

In my opinion the same reason Megatron is NOT a gun anymore. Don't want little Johnny to have a sword cause he might stab someone

Lightsaber. Sure it's a dangerous weapon even though as the movies go along there's ways to counter them. Why? they made it so cool looking. The things that can be done with it.
    Megatron's not a gun because once you have Megatron transform into a handgun the size of a semi-truck, it becomes pretty obvious how silly it is. It only worked for the old toys because they weren't originally even meant to interact with each other, they were just toys, and scale was irrelevant. It (sort of) worked in the G1 show because they would just make him magically shrink down about 95% when he changed, which made him usable, but also smaller than the cannon he had on his arm anyway.

I also always felt it didn't suit his character. Megatron is a megalomaniac, or at least a tyrant. Having him turn into a passive tool that requires being wielded by one of his subordinates doesn't really fit him.

But anyway, back to the original question; I'm not really sure. The idea of powerful or magical swords has been around for a good while. I'm not sure what it was about the 80's that brought out so many, and I'm not sure that they are totally gone. It's actually been a while since I've seen (that I can recall) a completely original property based on nothing prior. The Marvel/DC movies and shows are all based on characters decades old. The Hobbit movies had magic swords, but are obviously based on old books. Pacific Rim came to mind, except that actually does have the robot use a giant sword.

It could just be that the fantasy genre in general has faded substantially in more recent years.

In my Transformers storyboards my version of Megaton was a robot like the Terminator endoskeleton but part of it was a gun that detached and could merge with other decepticons..

..also in terms of swords and guns as toys I should add that my mum thought that was evil and I wasnt allowed any until I was old enough to get a permit.

Maybe itīs the way the image of a hero changed.
    Today itīs NOT about courage, wisdom, kindness and strength.
    Itīs all about money, firepower and insulting someoneīs mother.
    Just maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordwolf80 View Post
    Maybe itīs the way the image of a hero changed.
    Today itīs NOT about courage, wisdom, kindness and strength.
    Itīs all about money, firepower and insulting someoneīs mother.
    Just maybe...
    This is hugely correct.
    ..and its nice that you didn't say that 'regular people' are to blame.

Maybe the future yet untold is just fruitful with powerful swords.

//Fisto-cuffs
    "What strength!! But don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world."
    --
    Homebrew RPGs based on 80s toy properties I take too seriously:
    - NEW! & Expanded - Masters of the Universe RPG: https://app.box.com/s/bb9fjiuqb27s0vzqti53
    - Transformers RPG: https://app.box.com/s/vaq6x35typiz9pltmxk6

Swords are still around, it's just that todays kids watch more anime and game more. They don't have our 80's version cartoon heroes anymore.

Keyblades from Kingdom Hearts
    Cloud's Materia Blade
    Devil May Cry is all about a sword
    Link's Master Sword is still very popular
    Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow Katana
    Light sabers are still a big deal

Bleach, Kill la Kill, Inuyasha, Berserk all have main characters that are sword wielders. Ruroni Kenshin is one of my favorite all time anime's and it's all about a guy and his sword.

Swords are still around...just not the way we remember them.

Thundarr's sword rocked.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Anyone want to know which was the best power sword for the sake of good story and meaning, ever?

I can tell you..

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    Anyone want to know which was the best power sword for the sake of good story and meaning, ever?
    Excalibur! As wielded by Storm Shadow!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Excalibur! As wielded by Storm Shadow!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7GF2kkMcTK.../excalibur.gif

Hahaha I'd forgotten about that!

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.

Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

- - - Updated - - -

These guys had electric wiring up their sleeves.

- - - Updated - - -

I like this thread.

So I did say hat I could tell you all what the best use of the power sword was.
    ..great 80's movie, StarChaser, the Legend of Orin.

Orin is a slave working in an underground mine, digging for ore that no slave knows what for or for how long they must go on digging.

Orin finds a sword hilt in the rock, and uses it to fight the robot slavers and even faces the cyborg slave master, who is hard to face.

- - - Updated - - -

Orin escapes the underground mine, and meets a space pirate, and learns that he is on a planet and his planet is small in the universe. He learns that others live in mild freedom and peaceful coexistence. Despite mutants and the occasional galactic army.

- - - Updated - - -

Orin's magic sword is unique, in that it is invisible and only works when good nature wealds it against evil injustice. Orin has the ability to use the sword because of his strong belief in his right and courage.

The most interesting thing about this sword, differing from other magic swords in other shows and movies, is seen when Orin faces the slave master.

- - - Updated - - -

Orin returns to the mine to help his people, and when he fights the slavemaster in front of his people, the sword mysteriously is broken and lost, but yet Orin is able to make the sword appear in mid-air.

It is only when the slave people see Orin's courage to fight back that they work together to smash the robots and escape to freedom on the planet surface.

So even though He-Man's sword is all about human strength and power, Orin's sword was the literal representation of inner strength in the face of oppression.
    A sword that transcends the symbolism of the movie itself.
    You're welcome.

These StarChaser screen captures look epic! Never heard of that movie though, doesn't seem to have been been a thing in germany. Gotta watch that movie now
    Want to rummage around in my collection?
    Instagram / Facebook

StarChaser is not the best movie ever made, but I stand by that it is the best use of a 'power sword'.

I got this at a local craft tent at an open market this week.

this you may recognize from The Shadow

The Phurba was a very ancient ceremonial tent peg, that is also a three sided spike, whos sides represent ones internal defence of mental sicknesses,, obsession, confusion and hatred.
    (not a sword, but powerful enough for me)