Thread: The Trials and Tribulations of the Ignore button.

Grammer Flunky

The Trials and Tribulations of the Ignore button.

here's something i never understood.

if someone on a forum bothers you so much, how come more people just don't use the ignore button?

some folks seem to take perverse pleasure in getting upset at someone and how they do things and constantly complaining about it.
    wouldn't it be much easier just to ignore it and move on with yourself if it bothers you that much?

the other thing I 'll never get is people making fun of you BECAUSE you ignore them.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    here's something i never understood.

if someone on a forum bothers you so much, how come more people just don't use the ignore button?

some folks seem to take perverse pleasure in getting upset at someone and how they do things and constantly complaining about it.
    wouldn't it be much easier just to ignore it and move on with yourself if it bothers you that much?

the other thing I 'll never get is people making fun of you BECAUSE you ignore them.
    Not really.

Everytime I ignore someone... I spend the next week reading 'half' a conversation they're having with other people and getting just as annoyed as if I'd read their original comments. So as a rule I don't bother with the ignore function. Besides... just because I think someone has an absolutely stupid opinion about the last... idk... Thor movie, doesn't mean I won't agree with what they have to say about the new Star Wars movie coming out.

I try not to completely write people off based on a few dumb comments :P

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    The people who are made fun of for utilizing the ignore function are the same people who continually decry "political correctness" and "safe spaces," and pride themselves on being "straight-shooters" who "tell it like it is." Hiding the posts of people with whom they disagree is stunningly hypocritical and brazenly lacking in self-awareness, and they deserve whatever criticism they receive for it.

Grammer Flunky
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Not really.

Everytime I ignore someone... I spend the next week reading 'half' a conversation they're having with other people and getting just as annoyed as if I'd read their original comments. So as a rule I don't bother with the ignore function. Besides... just because I think someone has an absolutely stupid opinion about the last... idk... Thor movie, doesn't mean I won't agree with what they have to say about the new Star Wars movie coming out.

I try not to completely write people off based on a few dumb comments :P
    I try not to either.

it's when they get hostile or openly insulting at said opinions that I start to use the ignore button, or are down right rude.
    the half a conversation thing only bugs me if I see the ignored persons quotes in that conversation. then, yes, you're right. i do get annoyed at still seeing the comments.

but on the whole, i feel like the ignore button at times is worth using. i just wish it got used both ways so you don't see those quoted responses .

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    if someone on a forum bothers you so much, how come more people just don't use the ignore button? wouldn't it be much easier just to ignore it and move on with yourself if it bothers you that much?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

It's often the free speech crowd that hates it, even though using it is not considered a violation of the first amendment nor would any court ever declare it to be a legal violation. This is usually by people who don't read the actual text of it and just champion some personalized version of it. You are not guaranteed that you will be paid attention to by everyone or even specific people.

Same with banning people from using website is not a violation. It does not apply to private institutions, property or websites.

The irony, of course, is that these "free speech" champions are usually pretty quick to try and smear, harass and silence those they disagree with. I've had plenty of experience with certain deranged individuals over the years, including one who is strongly into seriously unhealthy and illegal fetishes involving kids, who is exactly like that.

Honestly, if someone wants nothing to do with you, whatever. Move on and ignore them in return. I used to try and "make amends" with these people until I realized that it's not only worth the trouble, but I'm better off not being their friend. A lot of them turned out to be horrible people in general in the long run and if I had become their friend I'd have cut that off eventually. once I saw what they were really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The people who are made fun of for utilizing the ignore function are the same people who continually decry "political correctness" and "safe spaces," and pride themselves on being "straight-shooters" who "tell it like it is." Hiding the posts of people with whom they disagree is stunningly hypocritical and brazenly lacking in self-awareness, and they deserve whatever criticism they receive for it.
    I agree with you.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Road Ripper 3) Dragon Walker 4) Land Shark

Grammer Flunky
    usually the ones who you ignore and wonder why you ignore them are the first to be insulting and down right rude...and either don't realize it, or just don't care.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I agree with you.
    Pretty much.

usually the ones who you ignore and wonder why you ignore them are the first to be insulting and down right rude...and either don't realize it, or just don't care.

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!