Thread: Sideshow 12" Superman

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

Sideshow 12" Superman

Just started seeing the pics for this show up, and at first glance, I was actually considering it. I knew I'd be tempted at some of these, and the costume on this looks near perfect. The body is a good choice, with a 70's "Neal Adams muscular but not Arnie proportions" vibe that I think fits perfectly for a realistic take on a super-hero. But then I saw the close-ups, and I lost interest. The face is just...wrong. For me, it doesn't evoke Supes. The jaw is odd, the face old, and if it weren't for the spit curl, I'd think it was the Punisher, not Clark. I know they aren't going for a specific artist's take, but he doesn't resemble any iconic version at all. I'm not that picky about this sort of thing, usually; I always thought the Mego Supes head was fine, even if it wasn't straight out of a Curt Swan drawing, it still evoked Supes for me. I don't know if it's the small eyes and brows, the way the face angles outward from top to bottom, overdetailing making it look old (some of DCD's 12" figures suffered from this), but it is off enough that I'm definitely passing on something I might have sprung for.

Thoughts?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

For me, both Batman and Superman seems just too retro, too old-school. Sure, we have Man of Steel and Nolan-Bats from Hot Toys, so these should contrast perfectly, but they are just too plain. They almost remind me of those Mego dolls.
    Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Soulgem View Post
    For me, both Batman and Superman seems just too retro, too old-school. Sure, we have Man of Steel and Nolan-Bats from Hot Toys, so these should contrast perfectly, but they are just too plain. They almost remind me of those Mego dolls.
    In that sense, they did the right thing from a marketing perspective. The New 52 versions are known to about 150-200,000 people who read comics. These versions are recognizable to millions, probably even moreso than the movie versions. It's going to take a LONG time for the new looks to take hold in the public consciousness to the degree the classic looks did, if they actually last long enough and don't go back to the old school looks in a few years.

Honestly, the fact that they are doing the classic version is the main reason I was tempted; New 52 or movie would have been an easy pass regardless of how they made the face...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

The jawline on him is just weird to me. That turned me off. I'm happy with my HT Reeves and MoS Cavill figures, I guess.

Heroic Warrior
    Which one are we talking about here? It looks like Sideshow did a couple supermans...

I really like the pictures I've seen of the Christopher reeves one.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Which one are we talking about here? It looks like Sideshow did a couple supermans...

I really like the pictures I've seen of the Christopher reeves one.
    That one was likely the Hot Toys Reeves Supes, which, from what I've seen, was an awe inspiring piece. I think it might have been available through Sideshow, but they didn't actually make it.