Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smash Bros 3DS and Wii-U strategy discussion

Smash Bros 3DS and Wii-U strategy discussion

-----Stage and Snapshot Sharing Info-----

If you guys want to see the stages and snapshots I've posted, go into miiverse, then click on activity feed. In the top right you will see a tab that says "Search Users". My user name is "nicholigh". Then look for the "activities" tab sandwiched between the "Profile" and "Connections" tab. Now scroll down through my posts and click on one that interests you; be sure to click on the text body and not the pic, or else you will just enlarge the picture. At the bottom of each post (after you've clicked on it) there will be a button with the Smash logo that says "Start". Feel free to send a friend request, but if you'd rather not, you can still at least see and download my content and maybe give it a "yeah". Friending me will put my content in when you do a search for "friends" from any of the share functions with Smash online, instead of having to re-launch Smash for each stage or pic you want from miiverse.

He-Man.org username = Nintendo network id

nicholighkun = nicholigh

-----EDIT 4/14/15-----

Some Olimar and Villager All-Star mode on hard difficulty tips from page 4 - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3568587

Here's a guide to Olimar showing the best ways to utilize his Pikmin - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3557320

Here's a few quick tips for the 4 rival KO challenge as well as All-Star mode - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3557126

Here's a guide for farming Hats, Coins and custom moves - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3554068

Here's a guide to Master Core from page two of this thread - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3544388

-----Terms to know-----

Dodge Roll: Press the shield button and at the exact same time press left or right on the control stick, while you’re on the ground.

Spot Dodge: Pressing the shield button and down on the control stick at the same time, while grounded.

Air Dodge: Press the shield button while in the air.

Fast Fall: Press down on the control stick, as soon as or after your characters jump peaks.

Combo: Most characters have a combo if you press the regular attack button (the default is the A button) several times in a row, without pressing the control stick, while on the ground. This is different from what is called a “true combo” which is a series of moves that do not allow any chance for your opponent to escape. Some characters combos are true combos, but not all.

Smash Attack: While on the ground, press the A button and a direction on the control stick (up, down or side) at the same time. Can be charged by holding the attack button.

Tilt Attack: Same as smash exactly, except you barely tilt the control stick in the direction you want.

Special Attack: The special attack button is the B button with the default setup. Hitting B without any use of the control stick does neutral special. There is also an up, down and side special.

Aerial Attack: These are done with the A button while being airborne. The aerial attacks have 5 forms; Neutral, forward, back, up and down.

DI (Directional Influence): DI is usually in regards to the knock back received from an attack. Just as a strong move hits you, and you think you will be flying in a certain direction, start holding the control stick immediately and you can slow your speed down. The window is very short and fast, and it closes once you've been launched, so you need to get good at preemptive input. DI can also be used in certain other situations like when you are caught in some prolonged attacks, like Lucario's Aura while it's charging, or with the smart bomb. Also, apparently Bowsers side B can be influenced by the person being grabbed by it. I image there are lots of other instances where DI is an available option.

DI from a hit knock back is most effective when you input a direction that is perpendicular to your trajectory. If you think you are about to be knocked straight across, horizontally, then hold up or down on the control stick. Accommodate for different angles, but try to hold the perpendicular direction.

Grab Escape: There is probably an actual term for this, but it's just the act of shaking your control stick, and pressing buttons quickly to break free of a hold. If someone grabs you and doesn't throw you immediately, you can break free by doing this. The higher your damage, the longer it will take you to shake free.

The Original Opening Post

I wanted to start a thread for the discussion of strategies for these two games. This would include strats for fighting and unlocking things. To make things easier to find, please add a title to each comment, letting us know to what your comment pertains, along with the version it pertains to. Examples would be "Target Blast 3D" or "Solo Classic Wii-U" etc, . That way someone scanning for a specific topic can find the comments that pertain to it more easily.

Gamefaqs is a great source, but the in depth faqs for smash Wii-U haven't really rolled out yet, so I figured we could pool our strategies to see if there is some hidden gold around here. I'll link the game faqs pages below. Btw, the answers and board sections of gamefaqs have a lot of good info, you just have to go fishing to find it.

Unlocking special moves/Master Crazy orders Wii-U

I just saw this comment on a random reply to a move farming question on gamefaqs. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds really good.

Quote Originally Posted by doug314 on gamefaqs
    Make a custom setup with home-run bat, quick batter, and first strike advantage. Get it on a character with an attack that's easy to get the first hit with, like Fox's blaster. Go to crazy orders and get a crazy long string of wins. It helps if you choose battles that give the rewards you want but you'll find it a lot easier to win the battles with this setup if you choose the ones that only have one opponent.

Gamefaqs links

Smash 3D

Cheats (unlockables) - http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/632937-s...ndo-3ds/cheats

Walkthroughs - http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/632937-s...tendo-3ds/faqs

Answers - http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/632937-s...do-3ds/answers

Boards - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63293...r-nintendo-3ds

Smash Wii-U

Cheats - http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/633202...r-wii-u/cheats

Walkthroughs - http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/633202...for-wii-u/faqs

Answers - http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/633202...-wii-u/answers

Boards - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63320...bros-for-wii-u

If you've never heard of gamexplain then here's a playlist of their videos pertaining to smash Wii-U. Mostly they concern the more difficult items on the challenge board.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fOlqr4a7PwJ05-

Here's jtails character tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...sLqlTsfTg6fHxT

Also, if anyone is interested in sending me a friend request, my Nintendo network id is nicholighkun (all lower case).
    Last edited by nicholighkun; April 17, 2015 at 01:11pm.

I main as Mr. Game & Watch. (aka the only smash character that matters ) One of the best things about the character
    is the number of grab combos he can do. Down grab to, up tilt, up tilt, jump, air neutral, air up tilt, can get your opponent over 100% damage
    if you're fast enough to pull it off.

Something all competitive players should learn though no matter the character, is perfect pivoting.

The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Nice find. I'm excited to try it, although I found wave dashing to be impossible in Melee, so I'm not holding my breath.

What controller option do you use? I went to Wal-Mart today to look for the GameCube controller adaptor, but the y guy said they've never had them in, and he couldn't find anything about them on his smart phone. I'm about to do a search for info. I hope that the GC controller that plugs into the Wii remote is not what they were talking about. I don't want to have to blast through batteries just to play with it. In the interest of limiting toxic waste (batteries) I'd rather wait to buy a rechargeable battery set, or else just stick to the Wii-U gamepad.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Nice find. I'm excited to try it, although I found wave dashing to be impossible in Melee, so I'm not holding my breath.

What controller option do you use? I went to Wal-Mart today to look for the GameCube controller adaptor, but the y guy said they've never had them in, and he couldn't find anything about them on his smart phone. I'm about to do a search for info. I hope that the GC controller that plugs into the Wii remote is not what they were talking about. I don't want to have to blast through batteries just to play with it. In the interest of limiting toxic waste (batteries) I'd rather wait to buy a rechargeable battery set, or else just stick to the Wii-U gamepad.
    Frankly there's a long list for the adapters. NOA simply didn't get enough from NCL to meet demand stateside. Supposedly, NOE has the same problem. The resupply
    they did get was put up on Nintendo's NOA store, and sold out in ten minutes. There are third party versions coming out, but I have yet to see any feedback or reviews on those.

If you're a Melee purist you'll probably want a Gamecube controller, but you will need the adapters to do that. There are other options though.

1. HORI GCN controller for Wiimote. These aren't quite as responsive as an original GCN pad, but they do share the same shape, and ergonomic design.
    For the average person, it's good enough. But for the purists it won't be quite close enough due to the slight difference in performance.

2. Classic Controller/Pro for Wiimote. Nintendo's first party pads worked awesome with Brawl, and with the Wii U's backward compatibility these are
    probably going to be one of the best options. You get the responsiveness you need, as well as an inexpensive solution. Used Wiimotes, are already pretty cheap
    these days, and used CC/CCP are also fairly cheap. The combo is cheaper than the Wii U's Classic Controller in many cases.

3. Classic Controller Pro for Wii U. If you don't have old Wii stuff or old Gamecube stuff knocking around, this is the best option. You also don't have to have two controllers
    for one person to work.

4. Wiimote, and Nunchuck. Not the most ideal set up. But it is easier to do smash attacks with a thumbstick, and a button rather than a D-Pad. It's fine for casual parties
    but I wouldn't go this route unless you can't afford extra pads for visiting friends.

5. Wiimote sideways. Last resort only. The D-pad isn't the best for movement, plus assigning a jump button is uncomfortable no matter where you put it.

6. Gamepad. This is neck, and neck with the Classic Controller. Same great responsiveness, it's comfortable, it's fine. But only one player can use it.
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Intersting. Thanks man. I like the tablet okay, but I get some funky command errors sometimes with the stick. I won't be risking any money on 3rd party efforts so I can wait and deal with the tablet for now.

Do you know anything about plans for a patch that allows custom stage sharing? I heard someone online state it as though it were a fact. I do a ton of Customs and I think they're pretty good. If you want to add me as a friend my network id is nicholighkun (all lowercase), but I won't be hurt if you'd rather stick to people you actually know. If you do, we can jam on some of my stages. If you're only about the one on one skill testing you might not like them. They are more like little playgrounds as opposed to the plain stages that serious smashers prefer. I like the random fun things about the game, coupled with the skill involved, I don't usually like to focus only on one aspect or the other. Playing Melee with friends was the most fun I've ever had playing games, and it's been impossible to recapture that because most players take it so seriously. When we played, most of us were skilled players, but the randomness was what made it a laugh riot. I think all of us had as much or more fun losing as we did winning. But, anyhoo.

As far as the pivoting, I've got it down, but for some reason I can't do a move until the animation is over. I re-watched the video and looked for clues, but I can't quite figure it out.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; January 12, 2015 at 07:25pm.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    This is a technique that I'm trying to perfect for online matches.

With Mario, use a launch attack (Up + Attack) near an edge in an arena. Next jump and follow your opponent and use the FLUDD attack (Down + Special) to push them away. The spray will push enemies along with the water, but does no damage, which means that it doesn't grant an opponent a third jump! Finally, as your opponent tries to recover toward the edge, use Mario's cape (Forward + Special) attack to flip them upside down and watch them "jump" down to their doom. The Cape deals up to 10% damage, has no knock-back and doesn't make the opponents flinch. This means that it will not interrupt attacks; rather, it only turns the enemy character around, so it's perfect for causing recovering characters unable to grab the ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Frankly there's a long list for the adapters. NOA simply didn't get enough from NCL to meet demand stateside. Supposedly, NOE has the same problem. The resupply
    they did get was put up on Nintendo's NOA store, and sold out in ten minutes. There are third party versions coming out, but I have yet to see any feedback or reviews on those.
    I am waiting for a (decently priced) adapter for my GCN controller, but in the meantime, the Wii U Pro controller seems to be working well. My biggest complaint with it is the fact that you can't reassign the Final Smash button... Otherwise, it is a nice go to controller in place of the GCN one.

Do you know anything about plans for a patch that allows custom stage sharing? I heard someone online state it as though it were a fact. I do a ton of Customs and I think they're pretty good. If you want to add me as a friend my network id is nicholighkun (all lowercase), but I won't be hurt if you'd rather stick to people you actually know. If you do, we can jam on some of my stages. If you're only about the one on one skill testing you might not like them. They are more like little playgrounds as opposed to the plain stages that serious smashers prefer. I like the random fun things about the game, coupled with the skill involved, I don't usually like to focus only on one aspect or the other. Playing Melee with friends was the most fun I've ever had playing games, and it's been impossible to recapture that because most players take it so seriously. When we played, most of us were skilled players, but the randomness was what made it a laugh riot. I think all of us had as much or more fun losing as we did winning. But, anyhoo.
    This is/was the best part of Super Smash Bros. Back when it didn't take itself too seriously it was just a fun and quirky smash-up that starred some of our favorite Nintendo characters. Not long after Melee came out, people began exploiting a lot of moves and used them repeatedly to win... a version 1.0 was released and fixed a lot of it, but by this time it had already become "hardcore" rather than the "casual" brawler that so many people enjoyed.

Now that it has all gone online, people's competitive nature sucks a lot of the fun out of the game and the creative silliness seems to be more geared toward the hardcore players...

This doesn't mean that you can't have fun with it though. I still think it's fun to go online and play casual (not ranked) matches with people from all over the world. I still smile and laugh at the thought of Kirby going up against Bowser. And being able to pit Pac Man, Sonic, Mega Man, and Mario against each other, in one game, will never grow old. One of the most fun features of Smash U is the ability to play cooperatively with another local person in online 2 vs. 2 matches. And, of course, if you can find 4, 6, or 8 local friends/family to play with you, all of those old feelings come back in an instant!

As far as the pivoting, I've got it down, but for some reason I can't do a move until the animation is over. I re-watched the video and looked for clues, but I can't quite figure it out.
    This is a hard technique to master... and even harder to continuously use throughout a match. I, too, am trying to get the timing down exactly...

- - - Updated - - -

I was doing a little research on Smash Bros. controller options and came across the HORI Battle Pad.

Has anyone used one of these? If so, do you like it for Super Smash Bros. Brawl / Wii U??

Last edited by Ornclown; January 13, 2015 at 02:49am.
    DESPERATELY need ThunderCats Minimates series one!!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

As a part of my Christmas, which included the Wii-U and Smash, I also received this, but since it runs through the wii-mote and I refuse to use non-rechargeable batteries for game play I haven't even given it a shot yet. Maybe I'll give it a test and see how responsive, and comfortable it seems to be. Are you in the market to buy and you want feedback, or are you just curious (it will determine how quickly I get to checking it out).

As a part of my Christmas, which included the Wii-U and Smash, I also received this, but since it runs through the wii-mote and I refuse to use non-rechargeable batteries for game play I haven't even given it a shot yet. Maybe I'll give it a test and see how responsive, and comfortable it seems to be. Are you in the market to buy and you want feedback, or are you just curious (it will determine how quickly I get to checking it out).
    Seeing as how it is virtually impossible to get a hold of Nintendo's GCN controller adapter (at an affordable price), I am definitely in the market to buy. I work close to a GameStop that has them in stock, and I was just curious as to what other Smash players think of it before I take the plunge.

I've read conflicting reports / reviews online, so I thought I would see what you guys thought of it... I feel I will get a much more honest opinion here on the .org.

Thanks in advance!!

I'll make it a point to give it a shot then. I'll do an infinite time, stock match with my tablet for player one, and the controller for player two and use the same character to see if I can spot any lag in the input, or sloppiness of the sticks. Anything else I should look for?

-----EDIT-----

So I checked it out and I can say that there is no lag, but the exact feel of the ergonomics of the controller is just off enough to make it feel strange. Nothing that can't be gotten used to, but if the feel is important to you, you may want to go another route. One thing that I noticed about the GC control set up that I no longer like is the position of the C-stick (the yellow one). You seem like an educated Smasher, but for the sake of all who come around who may not be, please forgive the following description.

C-sticking: is an important technique in smash. The yellow stick on the GC controller is the C-stick, and the smash attacks are mapped there by default, although you can change them in setup. The main way to input smash attacks is to press the left joy stick (not the C-stick) in any of the four cardinal directions (up, down, left or right) and press and hold the regular attack button (default is the green A-button) at the same time. Pressing will do an uncharged smash, and holding will do a charged smash. The same attack button is used while your character is airborne to perform aerials; these also use the four cardinal directions to change the attack performed, but the list also includes neutral Air, where no directional button is pressed.

Short Hopping: You can jump by either pressing up on the joy stick, or by pressing a button mapped as jump (the default are the X and Y buttons on the GC controller). A short hop is performed by lightly tapping either the jump button or up on the joystick. This hopping has a multitude of applications. One problem with short hopping into an up aerial is the fact that inputting the upward directional required for performing an Up-Air almost always causes a full jump along with the aerial attack, which can put you out of range in situations where you want to do an Up-Air near the ground. Performing an Up-Air out of a short hop manually is probably the most difficult technique in Smash (not counting advanced techs), and it is especially difficult to do in a high paced battle scenario. The solution is using the C-stick. by performing a short hop and then hitting up on the C-stick, you can easily, and reliably perform an Up-Air, close to the ground.

Here's the problem with the GC controller, the C-stick is below the face buttons, meaning that in order to do the short hop Up-Air, you need to short hop, and then reach down with your thumb, to pull up on the C-stick. This is easier if you use the Joy stick for jumping, but very difficult if you use a face button. Either way, you still have to reach down, and then pull up (two opposite motions that require your thumb to leave the area of the face buttons for longer than the other option -->). With the Wii-U pro controllers and the Wii-U tablet, the right analog stick is above the face buttons, making it a much simpler task to perform a short hop Up-Air, simply flick your thumb upward after a hop. For this reason, I am now re-thinking the GC controller option. I don't have the money to buy any of those pro controllers, but that is definitely the better choice for a more streamlined control experience. This may seem like a small thing to many players, but this is a pretty big deal to anyone who takes the game or the gameplay seriously. The Up-Air is the only aerial that is difficult to perform manually in a short hop, so the position of the stick used for this move is crucial. They did it right with the pro-controllers and the tablet.

-----EDIT-----

On an unlockable related note, I'm trying to get 4 KO's in rival smash. I still need to do the 3 KO's with Diddy, but I can't seem to land his spike moves to KO them quick off the edge, so I'm temporarily focusing on Ness's PK thunder self attack rocket to try for 4. Anyone else having trouble, or have you done this one? I can't find any decent videos on youtube. I saw one where a guy tried using Kirby's down special, but it's so hard to land on the fast little turd that I can't get to 4 KO's and my thumbs wear out quickly.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; January 15, 2015 at 03:41pm.

Thanks for the review nicholighkun, I am glad (and relieved) to hear that there is no lag. That was probably my number one concern... The ergonomics of the controller may be a non-factor for me since I used to switch between the standard and wavebird controllers for SSB Melee and SSB Brawl and there seemed to be subtle differences between the two that other people noticed, yet I didn't at all. As long as the actual size of the controller is the same as the original, it should be just fine. (I did read that it was lighter than the original - due to it not having the rumble components...)

I never really took notice of the layout of the controller before, but the points that you make are all incredibly valid. So much so, that it almost gives an advantage to those who are using the Pro Controller.

On the topic of layout, are the face buttons about the same size and depth as the original's? Are they spaced apart in the same manner, and do they "feel" right when you press/tap/hold them? It sounds weird, but the GCN controllers always had a good feel to them, a kind of quality depression that seemed like they could survive for years with a lot of use.

Thanks again nicholighkun, I appreciate your feedback!

No problem! As for the button feel, they feel very similar but slightly different. Nearly identical actually, but if you're comparing the two, there is a very slight difference. The main difference in that regard is the left and right trigger; they don't have that long compression that the GC controllers have. That was good for some games where the triggers had different functions depending on how hard you pressed them (Metroid Prime 1 and 2 for example), but I don't think smash was one of the games that utilized that feature; I could be wrong though. It does feature a turbo button, a home button, a + and - button (start and select), and two z buttons instead of one (the small thin blue button just above the right trigger) now there's one above the left trigger as well. To be honest, it feels pretty good. My main concern is whether it would hold up over time. It does feel kind of cheaply made, but maybe it's just the weight thing. If it's not solid, a heavy smash player will probably wear it out, but I really can't say just from holding it in my hand, especially knowing that the weight difference is due to a lack of a rumble feature, since the weight is the main reason that it feels cheap. I don't know the price difference between that controller and the Pro, but if it's minimal, I'd go with the pro, which is also rechargeable. If you don't have a rechargeable battery in your Wii-mote, you'll be going through batteries. Also, the pro charges via a USB plugged into the Wii-U, so you can play while charging, which you cannot do with a Wii-mote.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; January 16, 2015 at 12:38am.

Heroic Warrior
    my strategy has been to just push buttons. It only works against small children.

That's one of the things that makes this game so good, is that even kids and less experienced players can stand a chance with just some random button mashing. I take my own knowledge of the game mechanics very seriously, but I don't take the game itself seriously (unless you count unlocking stuff). People who only fight serious matches are missing a much larger piece of the pie, and a much more fun piece at that.

-----EDIT-----

I found this two part video series on techniques that is to be in addition to the video tutorial that is contained on the Smash Bros disc (in other words, these videos skip the basics).

Last edited by nicholighkun; January 17, 2015 at 08:13am.

No problem! As for the button feel, they feel very similar but slightly different. Nearly identical actually, but if you're comparing the two, there is a very slight difference. The main difference in that regard is the left and right trigger; they don't have that long compression that the GC controllers have. That was good for some games where the triggers had different functions depending on how hard you pressed them (Metroid Prime 1 and 2 for example), but I don't think smash was one of the games that utilized that feature; I could be wrong though. It does feature a turbo button, a home button, a + and - button (start and select), and two z buttons instead of one (the small thin blue button just above the right trigger) now there's one above the left trigger as well. To be honest, it feels pretty good. My main concern is whether it would hold up over time. It does feel kind of cheaply made, but maybe it's just the weight thing. If it's not solid, a heavy smash player will probably wear it out, but I really can't say just from holding it in my hand, especially knowing that the weight difference is due to a lack of a rumble feature, since the weight is the main reason that it feels cheap. I don't know the price difference between that controller and the Pro, but if it's minimal, I'd go with the pro, which is also rechargeable. If you don't have a rechargeable battery in your Wii-mote, you'll be going through batteries. Also, the pro charges via a USB plugged into the Wii-U, so you can play while charging, which you cannot do with a Wii-mote.
    Thanks again, nicholighkun. I think you've convinced me! (I just ordered one on eBay)

I do have a Wii U Pro controller, which I love so much, but the main reason I leaned toward the Hori Battle Pad is because the Pro controller isn't compatible with Smash Bros. Brawl when playing on the Wii U.

That coupled with the fact that I can get the Hori pad for a third the price of the Wii U GCN converter made my decision easier... (although you do bring up a valid point about the batteries...)

Now I just wish it worked with Wind Waker HD!

I am excited to try it out, I'll let you know what I think when it gets here!

That's one of the things that makes this game so good, is that even kids and less experienced players can stand a chance with just some random button mashing. I take my own knowledge of the game mechanics very seriously, but I don't take the game itself seriously (unless you count unlocking stuff). People who only fight serious matches are missing a much larger piece of the pie, and a much more fun piece at that.
    This is so very well stated!

The MAIN point behind Nintendo's Smash series is to have FUN. If you are out there killing yourself over lost ranked matches, then you cannot see the trees for the forest...

Super Smash Bros. is a series where losing can be as much fun as winning.

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    my strategy has been to just push buttons. It only works against small children.
    lol, I've lost my fair share of battles to guys like you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Now I just wish it worked with Wind Waker HD!
    Which one doesn't work with WW HD? Also, I didn't realize the pro doesn't work with Wii titles. Even on the Wii within the Wii-U? That seems odd but I guess it kind of makes sense, the Wii is older tech after all. But with it being included in the Wii-U, I would think it would be a small thing to make at least the tablet compatible with the Wii menu, assuming the pro came out after the Wii-U was already developed, but I'm not sure about that.

Which one doesn't work with WW HD? Also, I didn't realize the pro doesn't work with Wii titles. Even on the Wii within the Wii-U? That seems odd but I guess it kind of makes sense, the Wii is older tech after all. But with it being included in the Wii-U, I would think it would be a small thing to make at least the tablet compatible with the Wii menu, assuming the pro came out after the Wii-U was already developed, but I'm not sure about that.
    You are correct, the Wii U Pro Controller was released after the system launch, unfortunately it is not compatible with previous-generation Wii games - even when playing on the Wii U.

In fact, there are tons of actual Wii U games that don't even support it! This I really don't understand...

The Hori Battle Pad is essentially just a Wii Classic Controller in the shape of a GCN controller, so any game that supports the Classic controller is compatible with the Hori Pad - unfortunately Wind Waker HD only supports the Wii U Game Pad and the Wii U Pro Controller... I would really love it if WW HD could be played with the Hori Pad because it worked so well for the GC version of WW. Maybe a patch will be released for the official Nintendo GCN controllers to allow more games to support them...?

This was just posted today. Very interesting stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Another cool, slightly older video. The main thing that I learned, that I didn't already know is that the smooth lander badge allows such a great landing lag reduction. I'll definitely be implementing this little piece of equipment into my custom fighters now.

Another cool, slightly older video. The main thing that I learned, that I didn't already know is that the smooth lander badge allows such a great landing lag reduction. I'll definitely be implementing this little piece of equipment into my custom fighters now.
    I did not know that either.... very interesting indeed!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Not really a tip, but a comp of all the braggings
    The Deviot

-?

That's a cool video. I haven't watched it yet, but I can tell that it's their celebration animations, and each character has like 3-4 each, so it's cool to have them all in one place.

A random thought occurred when I first saw that thumbnail and thought the video was showcasing all of the taunts; did you guys know that Luigi's down taunt actually does damage? If someone is hanging onto a ledge and you're above them, that's the most applicable place to use it. I'm pretty sure that is a new feature for this game, I don't think it was in Brawl, but I could be wrong.

Just to keep the discussion going, who do you guys main? If you're not familiar with the pretentious hipster smash lingo a main is a character that you play frequently and that you are the most dangerous with.

I'm a huge Metroid fan so Samus and Zero suit Samus are two of my top tier fighters, but since I do the work to unlock everything I ended up getting good with all of the fighters, so I really have several top tier fighters, then fighters I can fight well with, and then a few characters I'm weak with. Some of my top tiers though are Samus and ZSS, Ganon, Dedede, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, Zelda, Sheik, Marth (Lucina by default), Ike, Duck hunt, Shulk is one of my new favorites, and I'm sure there are more that I can't think of. Like I said, doing all of the work for unlocking stuff will automatically make you pretty good with all fighters, so I'm nothing special. Most serious players can beat me easily, unless I'm really tuned in and playing a character I'm good with.

-----EDIT-----

Also, you guys do know about the promotion for a free Mewtwo fighter download later this year right? It's only available to those who have a clubnintendo account, and both the Wii-U and 3DS copies of the game registered to your account. The deadline is real soon if it's not already passed. I already had a 3DS, so I was able to pick up the handheld version of the game thanks to a Christmas gift card, so I'll be getting him. But, if you don't know about it, look into it. If you care a bunch about Mewtwo, you could conceivably buy and register the game (no system required to register games), and then sell or trade it for a price you're comfortable with. Unless of course you want to keep it.

I'm also hoping for more content to either be added on top of that download, or offered to the general public via DLC. I'm hoping for custom stage sharing, and maybe even another new character.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; January 23, 2015 at 05:58pm.

That's a cool video. I haven't watched it yet, but I can tell that it's their celebration animations, and each character has like 3-4 each, so it's cool to have them all in one place.

A random thought occurred when I first saw that thumbnail and thought the video was showcasing all of the taunts; did you guys know that Luigi's down taunt actually does damage? If someone is hanging onto a ledge and you're above them, that's the most applicable place to use it. I'm pretty sure that is a new feature for this game, I don't think it was in Brawl, but I could be wrong.

Just to keep the discussion going, who do you guys main? If you're not familiar with the pretentious hipster smash lingo a main is a character that you play frequently and that you are the most dangerous with.

I'm a huge Metroid fan so Samus and Zero suit Samus are two of my top tier fighters, but since I do the work to unlock everything I ended up getting good with all of the fighters, so I really have several top tier fighters, then fighters I can fight well with, and then a few characters I'm weak with. Some of my top tiers though are Samus and ZSS, Ganon, Dedede, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, Zelda, Sheik, Marth (Lucina by default), Ike, Duck hunt, Shulk is one of my new favorites, and I'm sure there are more that I can't think of. Like I said, doing all of the work for unlocking stuff will automatically make you pretty good with all fighters, so I'm nothing special. Most serious players can beat me easily, unless I'm really tuned in and playing a character I'm good with.

-----EDIT-----

Also, you guys do know about the promotion for a free Mewtwo fighter download later this year right? It's only available to those who have a clubnintendo account, and both the Wii-U and 3DS copies of the game registered to your account. The deadline is real soon if it's not already passed. I already had a 3DS, so I was able to pick up the handheld version of the game thanks to a Christmas gift card, so I'll be getting him. But, if you don't know about it, look into it. If you care a bunch about Mewtwo, you could conceivably buy and register the game (no system required to register games), and then sell or trade it for a price you're comfortable with. Unless of course you want to keep it.

I'm also hoping for more content to either be added on top of that download, or offered to the general public via DLC. I'm hoping for custom stage sharing, and maybe even another new character.

I main as Mr. Game, and Watch. In SSB I started as a Luigi main, but once I unlocked GW in Melee he quickly became my favorite character in Smash. Brawl continued that trend.
    In SSBWU I thought I might play as Mega Man predominantly, but I found I still prefer GW. GW just has so many great things about him

• Recovery - Mr. Game & Watch is one of the lightest characters in the game. But despite this fact, he can usually survive knock backs with a lot of Directional Influence.
      He also has a lot of vertical range with his trampoline move. There are many times he can make it back to the stage even when he's taken more than 200% damage.
    • Combos - Mr. Game & Watch has a lot of great combos, as well as two in ones. He is even good at getting cross ups with his fish bowl, and bug spray. He has so many options when it
      comes to getting multiple hits in on an opponent. Especially with his back airs which can be tied in with other moves under the right conditions.
    • Animations - Mr. Game & Watch's movement is inspired by the old LCD games he appeared in. So most of his movement is displayed in 2-4 frames at most. This throws some people off.
    • He gets under your skin - A lot of folks cannot stand to lose to Mr. Game & Watch because he is so out there.
    • Oil Panic & Judgement #9 - These moves will clown most anyone, and they're very high risk/reward. 9's are rare, and some projectiles cannot be stored in the oil bucket. But if you can
      manage to store enough of them, it is one of the most satisfying rewards that SSB has to offer.
    The Deviot

-?

His manhole move (one of his tilt moves I think), can now blow people up into the air, which includes projectiles that he can't store, and even fighters side specials like C. Falcons Raptor Boost, and Ganon's choke move. He's one of those characters I have a lot of respect for, but for one reason or another I just haven't mained him yet. I intend to though, because I love weird characters. In Melee I loved striking fear into all opponents when the little pink marshmallow Jiggilypuff came near. I hate that they made rest so weak in Brawl, but it seems like it's pretty strong again in 4, although certainly not Melee strong. In Melee it could one hit KO someone with 0% damage in certain situations. I loved that this little puff ball was so deadly, and the deadly attack is that she falls asleep on you. Where else can you play a game like Smash?

So are you getting Mewtwo? Also, if anyone hears of news about any DLC, be sure to post it as soon as you hear it. I'm itching to know if there is going to be any more content coming. If they don't allow sharing of custom stages, and to a lesser degree photo's and replays, I'll be pretty upset. I would like to be able to get online and play on other peoples stages as well as download them from around the world, or at least the country. Sharing mine would also be a great thing for me. Plus I'm hoping for more items to use in stage building.

Yup, I registered both of my copies a while back... there was originally a double-deal where those who purchased both versions of the game got both Mewtwo and the SSB Wii U soundtrack. Sadly, the soundtrack promo ended on 1-15-2015 at midnight... but Mewtwo is free to those who have both versions until 3-31-2015.

I heard that more DLC characters are on the way as well. They include Wolf, Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and the Ice Climbers. Plus, Nintendo announced waaaaay back that custom stages will be shareable - but nothing more has been said about it since the original announcement.

If you could pick one character from any Nintendo property to include in Smash Brothers, who would it be?

Yup, I registered both of my copies a while back... there was originally a double-deal where those who purchased both versions of the game got both Mewtwo and the SSB Wii U soundtrack. Sadly, the soundtrack promo ended on 1-15-2015 at midnight... but Mewtwo is free to those who have both versions until 3-31-2015.

I heard that more DLC characters are on the way as well. They include Wolf, Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and the Ice Climbers. Plus, Nintendo announced waaaaay back that custom stages will be shareable - but nothing more has been said about it since the original announcement.
    THAT IS SUCH EXCITING NEWS!!! Thanks for sharing that. I like the IC's a good bit, although I'm not great with them; good but not great. I hope all of that comes out fairly soon. I wonder if it will be released when Mewtwo goes up. I registered both in time for the soundtrack as well.

If you could pick one character from any Nintendo property to include in Smash Brothers, who would it be?

That's tough to say. As far as the main series, I think they all have such a strong representation, and it has always irked me that Metroid gets so little love, so it would have to be someone from that series. Of course Dark Samus would be awesome, and if you've never played the Prime series, she wouldn't play exactly like Samus. But, since she would be very similar, I think it would be best to go with another character. The Bounty hunters from Prime 3 and Prime Hunters are an interesting pool of characters, but I'd have to go back and look into them to get a better idea of who would be best for Smash. But, I think Adam Malkovich from Other M (and sort of from Fusion) would be the best candidate, mostly for his major role in the life of Samus. Also, his tactical munitions capabilities would make him a pretty "solid" Snake replacement, assuming that Snake's not in the DLC (which I hope he is). Even if Snake is downloadable, I think Adam could be handled similar but different enough to make him a good counterpart for Snake. Anthony from Other M would make a lot of sense as well, from a fighting potential standpoint. He would be a heavy hitter. He had a large backpack, with an enormous gun that swung around to the side that took a long time to charge, but it was crazy powerful, which would be similar to ROB's laser or Warios waft.

I also think DK's world is poorly represented. I feel that if a hero character from a major Nintendo franchise is in the game, they must of necessity feature a prominent villain from that same series, which neither DK, nor Samus has had. Although I do give them props for the Dark Samus color pallet option. It's no real substitute, but at least you can pretend, and take some cool pictures. On that note I think King K. Rool is a must. It seems to me like he would be a very unique character to have in the game. I would honestly rather have him over Dark Samus, if DS was just a mildly altered clone, like D. Pit.

Here's a G&W vid for you deviot. It's probably nothing too exciting, but it may give you some knowledge or ideas. I've never mained him, but it sounds to me like info for beginners. Maybe I'm wrong and you'll get something out of it.

-----EDIT-----

So I was playing against my Samus amiibo for the first time and I was really surprised at how much fun it was. She is level 50 with the dark Samus color pallet, and I have not fed her any equipment. It was really challenging of course, but I was amazed at how much I felt like I was learning from fighting her. First I fought against her with a Light Suit Samus (white skin). From what I've learned online you can teach them strategies by fighting against them with the same character and letting them witness your fighting style. She was reading my moves, but the more I fought, the better I was at making adjustments for her playing. I can honestly say that this is a totally different experience from playing the CPU AI in the game, even if it's set to 9. I am really surprised at how much fun this feature is. If you have any strong ties to one of the characters that has an amiibo figure released, I strongly recommend you try it out. I don't want to over sell it, but I personally really was surprised and excited by the experience. I would love to have them all and at level50 just to practice with, and to have as display pieces, but that price just makes it impossible for me.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; January 24, 2015 at 10:36pm.

I also think DK's world is poorly represented. I feel that if a hero character from a major Nintendo franchise is in the game, they must of necessity feature a prominent villain from that same series, which neither DK, nor Samus has had. Although I do give them props for the Dark Samus color pallet option. It's no real substitute, but at least you can pretend, and take some cool pictures. On that note I think King K. Rool is a must. It seems to me like he would be a very unique character to have in the game. I would honestly rather have him over Dark Samus, if DS was just a mildly altered clone, like D. Pit.
    I completely agree.

I was amazed that Ridley was not added to the cast in SSB Wii U, he would have been a great villain to balance out Samus. Also the DK universe could have most definitely used King K. Rool! Not only is he primed to appear in SSB, but he could have a palette-swap to make him look like Wart from SMB 2! And now that Little Mac is part of SSB proper, I think Bald Bull, King Hippo, or Glass Joe should join the cast.

Other characters I've thought about include the Biker from Excitebike, the Eggplant Wizard from Kid Icarus, and the Fighter from Urban Champion... but if I could pick one new entrant into the Super Smash Bros. series, I would choose Mr. Stevenson, the detective from Gumshoe. I think he could have an awesome move set borrowing heavily from the old D1ck Tracy comic-strips. Plus he's just a cool-looking guy in a trench coat and fedora!