Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Iphone culture

The Iphone culture

I admit, I love my iphone. unlike the android I tried, it just works and there is no reason to go away from it..

that being said, WHY do these throngs of people flock to the latest model like it's something they've never seen before? Apple stopped being innovative with Iphone 1. Most updates phone companies have had for years before the latest Iphone that incorporates them comes out. Yet still, every year, you see people camping out as soon as the announcement has been made.

I can't help but also think that other than the giant screen option, this latest iphone has the least amount of changes over any other, and yet still they go gaga over it....

is apple some kind of cult, or am I missing something?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

The problem is that you have a DEFECTIVE apple product.
    The mind altering wave chip they place in each product is obviously not working in yours...

I can only speak for myself on this one so I'll try and explain why I buy iPhones.
    For starters I'm not one to jump on every new model. Usually I switch phones in 2 or 3 years. The reason for this switch is a mix of liking new features and the fact that older models get really slow as time progresses. The reason why I buy apple phones if because I thoroughly dislike android phones and windows isn't for me either.

That's it basically.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    The closest I've owned to an Apple product was an iPod nano I found at a thrift shop for $5. It was in working condition, almost new, but when I hooked it up I found it required iTunes to even load music onto it. I sold it on this board for $20. I've had several MP3 players, all very cheap models that did easy file loading and were great, all for $20 or less each. I don't own a cell phone and if I ever need one it'd be a cheap Android model. If I ever get a tablet it'd be either Android or a Windows 7 tablet. Apple has way too much proprietary software required just to use their stuff and the prices are up there. I honestly do not see the need to spend more for Apple when other products do the same job for a lower price and with less hassle.

Even the myth that Mac is less malware prone has sort of dried up over the last few years seeing as every nasty bootkit and rootkit malware can affect every computer regardless of OS by hitting the boot sector of the hard drive.

And Apple may not have as a big a share as some would think- checking stats on my website's traffic, 56% of visitors are on some version of Windows(majority being 7 followed by XP, while Vista is a measly 3.4% and 8 only 9%), while 16% are divided evenly between MacOSX and iOS.

Master of New Adventures!
    I miss black phones with rotary dials that, when a call came through, went ding-a-ling as opposed to playing the University of Nebraska fight song. I know. I'm a dinosaur. I supposed nowadays it's vital to own a device that can instantly calculate the Gross National Product of Bolivia in 1956.

As long as my phone can send and receive calls I am happy everything else is superfluous

Of course having a phobia of speaking on phones actually means I would rather it not do the sending and receiving calls thing either
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I need the tax write-offs...

And also to keep track of a drop-dead gorgeous, globe-trotting, world famous poker star no doubt.

I only buy one when I need one. It's been 4 years. And no camping out. It was delivered to my door. You have to remember the people camping out are mega fans that obviously feel the need to do so, but who hardly represent the majority. You might as well ask why anyone ever camps out for tickets to a concert or sporting event or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I only buy one when I need one. It's been 4 years. And no camping out. It was delivered to my door. You have to remember the people camping out are mega fans that obviously feel the need to do so, but who hardly represent the majority. You might as well ask why anyone ever camps out for tickets to a concert or sporting event or whatever.
    Right.

Mine was dropped off at my house on release date. 5 minutes online the week before was the extent of my effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    And also to keep track of a drop-dead gorgeous, globe-trotting, world famous poker star no doubt.
    That too....

I have the iphone 4 and hubby has the 3(each of them our first iphone- we had flip phones before that). I think we got them for .99 cents each because they weren't the latest model. I don't plan on getting another one till something goes wrong with it. I just can't see spending $200 odd dollars or whatever they go for when you can get them for .99 in a few months to a year. I do enjoy having internet on my phone since we don't have the net at home.

This, this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sukey View Post
    I have the iphone 4 and hubby has the 3(each of them our first iphone- we had flip phones before that). I think we got them for .99 cents each because they weren't the latest model. I don't plan on getting another one till something goes wrong with it. I just can't see spending $200 odd dollars or whatever they go for when you can get them for .99 in a few months to a year. I do enjoy having internet on my phone since we don't have the net at home.

I don't bother because I use my own home phone so little as it is, and I can't see paying a monthly fee to use a second phone. It might be useful if I get stranded with car trouble but I have no ability to talk while I'm driving, and if I'm at a grocery store I have better things to do. I know no one I need to send text messages to.

Itunes is indeed the worst peice of software I ever had the pleasure of using. IF there was some way to use the general windows explorer instead of itunes, like you can with exporting pictures, it'd be so much easier..
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

It's a similar issue with cars. I have known, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge fanboys and also the anti versions of each of those. the basic thing is most people find something they have few to no problems with and stick with it, especially when they have had problems with other brands.

Using this as an example, I had many friends tell me to always go with Maxtor for hard drives but at the time I was being told that, and picking the ones I was told to pick up I would lose the hard drive in about 2-3 months. I then went to Western Digital and in 10 years I have only had one drive fail all others were bought with system upgrades which I have done 2-3 of since then. I have still owned more maxtor's then WD drives (and one samsung in there).

The camping and buying the latest, might seem odd to you in regards to phones but have you done the same thing for day of sale MOTUC? Or tickets to popular concert or event? Or waited in line longer that you normally would have for a certain movie? It's the same thing, we all have our things we would go above and beyond to get. For those it just happens to be a phone.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Everyone has different priorities. For some, they put their budget towards action figures, and sign up for subscriptions where they spend hundreds of dollars on them. For others, they want the latest and greatest cell phone, and are more than happy to camp out one day out of the year to get what they want.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    The last time I got a new cell phone - I guess about six years ago, now - I asked for the most basic, bare bones version they had. It can text, and it works as my alarm clock as well. That's all I ask of it.

When it goes, I'm sure I'll end up getting a smart phone, but as minimal as I can go. Unfortunately, there have been too many occasions when people (usually work-related) have expected me to have portable internet, though I'd rather be without it. I *like* being off the grid. I also don't want to pay for more than the bare minimum...I simply don't use it. I've never once even come close to using my minutes as it is.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    The last time I got a new cell phone - I guess about six years ago, now - I asked for the most basic, bare bones version they had. It can text, and it works as my alarm clock as well. That's all I ask of it.

When it goes, I'm sure I'll end up getting a smart phone, but as minimal as I can go. Unfortunately, there have been too many occasions when people (usually work-related) have expected me to have portable internet, though I'd rather be without it. I *like* being off the grid. I also don't want to pay for more than the bare minimum...I simply don't use it. I've never once even come close to using my minutes as it is.
    Same here, flip phone for me and my wife. I want to pay the bare minimum for phones because that's all we use them for [calling]. If it sends/receives call's we're good. We don't have a landline anymore so we just use these and that's good enough. I'm already on the computer 8hrs/day at work then dink around on it at home too. I don't want to be that 'connected' to be on my phone all the time, plus I don't want to pay for something I don't use. It just doesn't interest me. That's why the org and a few horror boards are my only online presence-No facebook, twitter, etcc...nothing. I just don't care. lol.

The only apple product I have is a 160GB ipod for my music collection. I wish they made a larger one because I want to store ALL my CDs on it.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Now that the 6 is out I upgraded to the 5s, because my phone got ran over But it still worked. Nice job Speck case!

To be fair I dont think that the Iphone is as impressive as people make it out to be. I'd rather have the Galaxy but its just too damn big. I'm not sure what I will do when this phone dies. I dont want a bigger screen. I dont want a flabit or whatever its called.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I really don't understand people like that, but I'm not really a brand-loyalty person. I'll buy whatever works the best that's at the best price for what you get. That being said, I have no interest in the iPhone, don't like iTunes (especially the constant huge updates that take forever to download even on the fastest internet connections), but I really do like my iPod Touch, so I deal with the Hassle.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

I wouldn't camp out overnight for a meet-and-greet with the Archangel Gabriel.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It's a similar issue with cars. I have known, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge fanboys and also the anti versions of each of those. the basic thing is most people find something they have few to no problems with and stick with it, especially when they have had problems with other brands.

Using this as an example, I had many friends tell me to always go with Maxtor for hard drives but at the time I was being told that, and picking the ones I was told to pick up I would lose the hard drive in about 2-3 months. I then went to Western Digital and in 10 years I have only had one drive fail all others were bought with system upgrades which I have done 2-3 of since then. I have still owned more maxtor's then WD drives (and one samsung in there).

The camping and buying the latest, might seem odd to you in regards to phones but have you done the same thing for day of sale MOTUC? Or tickets to popular concert or event? Or waited in line longer that you normally would have for a certain movie? It's the same thing, we all have our things we would go above and beyond to get. For those it just happens to be a phone.

I blame it on the mentality that everything you buy you're expected to replace in 2-5 years.

My kitchen blender is 35 years old and still works perfectly. It has never needed repair. My fridge, which is less than a year old, has cheap plastic parts inside. I had to order a replacement drawer track because it's made of cheap plastic and broke on me. 20-30 years ago parts would not be made so poorly. Game systems from the 80s still work fine whereas the Xbox 360 was notorious for hardware failures. Cars today have more things that go wrong because they have more stuff added on. I know someone who had constant issues with a Ford Focus because the cooling fan was controlled by a computer chip that was prone to failure. Tack in GPS and all this other fancy stuff and I doubt you will find today's cars in good shape 30 years from now.

You're expected to not keep a thing for very long so it's not made to last. You're supposed to upgrade to the new model to "look cool", and unless it's an expensive thing then it's probably cheaper to replace than to repair. I was given a large LCD TV 4 years ago, broken screen but otherwise working. A replacement screen would've cost $100 more than a new TV. You can argue that modern tech is more complicated, but I can argue that they just build things cheap because you're expected to not keep it too long.

EVIL TRENTONIAN
    I recently read an article that stated that the APPLE software slowly degrades the performance of your Iphone with each update. So that you eventually feel the need to upgrade and are tricked into thinking that your phone is slowly failing. This was performed by an engineer over a year period using multiple phones, updates and services.

Apple has done an incredible job with brand loyalty and created a culture that I have not seen with this longevity since IBM or Saturn.

Personally, I have been through 3 IPODS in 3 Years. They become inoperative just after the warranty. I suspect that they even degraded my laptop battery and eventually killed it after a year and half when I charged them via my USB. I have also been through at least 10 charging cables for these as well.

I also find the entire process of the APPLE BAR and dealing with a "genius" surreal. I can't recall ever receiving REAL service, it feels as if I am participating in some type of theater play, where we are all just going through the actions so that it appears that the APPLE Store is busty and "happening".

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I picked up my Iphone 6 on the 2nd day and it is a really nice phone. I'm by no means an iSheep, I buy the iPhone as its easy to use. The last one I had was 3 years ago and needed replacing (slowed down, dropped in water etc) And I couldn't give a toss about "phone wars" between Android etc, as its just silly and childish.

But it was amusing seeing the huge line outside the Apple store on the first day with all the fans salivating and excited - Not all Apple buyers are like this!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I wouldn't camp out overnight for a meet-and-greet with the Archangel Gabriel.
    EEh all he did let was Mary know she was pregnant. I would prefer Michael, he's the head of an army who had a guy who in a single fight slew 185 thousand Assyrians. I mean, meet the guy who's known as the messenger or the guy who's known as the commander of the army of God?

I don't think there is anything I would camp out all night for, I have spent and hour or two in line for a movie a few times, Episode 1, Spider-man, and Lord of the Rings come to mind.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it