Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

Hey guys, one question. Remember that we had a conversation on Windows 8? It seems that all owners from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 will get free update to Windows 10 easily after a lot of major mishap happened on Windows 8. Dubbed as the worst Windows OS since Vista and Windows ME.

I don't know about you folks but I'm pretty much excited about it and willing to give it a try.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by Windows 10. Microsoft always seems to screw up the "in between" version of the OS, which is why I usually skip one.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I have to admit that I'm intrigued by Windows 10. Microsoft always seems to screw up the "in between" version of the OS, which is why I usually skip one.
    Agreed, since 98, ME was a disaster, same with Vista and windows 8.

I'm hoping that they learned their lesson on 8 and just following XP and Windows 7 vein.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

That appears to be the case. The new OS merges Windows 7 and Windows 8 and operates differently depending on the hardware. So a desktop machine goes to desktop mode by default. I may not use the default Start menu in Windows 10, though, and instead use a replacement like this one from Stardock: Start 10.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I like the look of the hologram type headset they've shown that works with this, I wouldn't mind one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I may not use the default Start menu in Windows 10, though, and instead use a replacement like this one from Stardock: Start 10.
    I might try it, for a few second. I don't want to spend another 5 dollars just on the start menu. I'm hoping for Display Fusion would be compatible on the new OS.

I do hope a lot of software, game would be compatible with the new OS, I've been asking the developers if they prepared for the new OS.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

I downloaded the preview edition of Windows 10 and this is definitely looking like what Windows 8 should have been which I think is why they're offering it as a free upgrade. I believe the free upgrade offer is only available for the first year of it's release though. Anybody who doesn't like the Windows 8/8.1 start screen will definitely benefit from the free upgrade.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Window 10!?

I just got used to Windows 8.1. UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Window 10!?

I just got used to Windows 8.1. UGH!
    I never upgraded to 8. Still learning 7. Am I in trouble?

I have windows 8.1 on 2 PCs and I actually like it, in fact I would say it is my fave OS since windows 3.1 with the awesome tabworks (man I miss that).

Still if it really is free I may be tempted to upgrade because a free OS is still a free OS

One question I have to ask... what happened to Windows 9?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I have windows 8.1 on 2 PCs and I actually like it, in fact I would say it is my fave OS since windows 3.1 with the awesome tabworks (man I miss that).

Still if it really is free I may be tempted to upgrade because a free OS is still a free OS

One question I have to ask... what happened to Windows 9?
    *ahem* *Drinks water*

The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I got Windows 8 when I bought my laptop last year and retired my 12yo desktop that still had XP on it. It's....different but it's not nowhere near as bad as some claim it to be.

Just when I got 8 figured out, I upgraded to 8.1 which took a bit to get adjusted to. I dred having to upgrade yet again. I had to reinstall XP 3 times on my desktop over 10 years and every time it was a major headache. I thought 8 was going to be the last big upgrade for years and that Windows was going to just constantly upgrade it little by little?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Not quite, but the only issues gaming where you have to use the Latest Windows like 8 and 10, and you are missing the new DirectX architecture.
    Last edited by Fendi; March 22, 2015 at 03:25pm.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

When I worked in tech we learned about Microsoft's OS lifecycle. It's something I think
    everyone regardless of tech level should know because it helps you know the reality of
    how things work.

Microsoft sells an OS at retail/etail for 5 years. There are some rare exceptions like XP. But on the whole
    it's 5 years. After that they want you on the next version.

Microsoft will SUPPORT an OS for a total of 7 years. That means you will get patches, bug fixes, security updates
    for an additional 2 years. They do this because they know not everyone will afford a new OS or new system every 5.
    In RARE exceptions they will SELL additional support beyond the 7 years. But that is only open to Government or Corporate
    level clients. Those are situations where their software applications were never updated/cost to update with new version too high/software
    incompatible with new OS. In those situations the continued patches/bug fixes/security costs a metric ton.

Microsoft still requires a lot of manufacturers of computers/tablets/etc to bundle their products to get sales. So they need as many
    people on the new OS as they can. The thing is these days anything other than AAAA Video Games, Professional editing, Science lab stuff
    doesn't REQUIRE the extra horse power, and due to a mediocre economy even those software programs are scaling down
    to a point where mid range hardware is still going to put out a decent experience.

So that's why you're seeing a lot of Windows 10 hype. But it's also why you shouldn't expect to run a Windows 7 machine for 30 years +

Some of that isn't Microsoft's doing either. Far too many people fail to understand their computer is going to hit a point where they can't run
    even a rudimentary program. Industries stop supporting a web browser or office program because it can't power the latest demands. So they're replaced
    with improved versions. Thing is the computer you bought in 2002 isn't up to snuff to run those improved versions properly.
    Want to go to youtube on the latest browser on something that old? Buffering City. So you run everything on low quality hoping it won't freeze.
    True, gaming gets to that point sooner, but ultimately it WILL happen. Whether you're on a Microsoft OS, Apple OS or even a Linux OS.

So just expect every 5 years a new OS version to become the norm. Figure another 2 years after that you're going to have to be on the next OS.
    Besides that, keep in mind that 7 years out, your CPU is probably going to become long in the tooth. You might start thinking about a new Motherboard/CPU/RAM/OS
    by then anyway.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I've come to refer to the current version as "Windows Hate." My problem is that the basic Windows system up through 7 served my purposes, meaning it allowed me to fairly easily do what I wanted to do. The disaster known as Windows 8 is basically made for a portable device, not a desktop, and it adds steps for me while offering nothing in exchange. I have to find simple things like paint and add them to the desktop (and it is not simple to find things on the blasted system, either). It is slow, it is ponderous, and it gives me major headaches with a lot of programs I've tried to load up. I have one program I've been able to use on every version of Windows since 98, and here it just stops working after a while for no apparent reason. THe whole tiles bit is pretty well useless to me; I'd have to take a lot of time removing the stuff on there I don't use and adding things I do, and it is still quicker to simply click on a desktop icon.

Some folks may be able to use it fine, but it makes my use of a computer harder needlessly, and I am the one using my computer, so I want something that actually serves my needs. Hopefully the new Windows goes back to some of the old ways, which would make my world a whole lot easier, which it at least sounds like it might.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'm iffy. 7 still runs fine for me as my main PC's OS and I think a lot of people are still going to keep 7 for several years. Main support is over but they will keep security patches going for some time. People content to use it will stick with it until they have to upgrade. I'm further content to run XP on my second PC, which is used for older gaming and such. Again, support ended long ago, but security patches are still being put out and all your main programs such as Firefox, antimalware and all that are still being updated with XP support. XP has its hooks in and we still have those who won't move on because it works for them.

I can understand. A big issue is "will my older stuff run on this new OS?" and more than likely it will not. I hate having to run DOSbox when native DOS support could be left in the OS. I dislike the fact that a 64-bit OS can't run a 16-bit application(unless you bypass with DOSbox) when they could toss in such support rather easily. MS could make every new Windows "all in one" and keep that old support, and I think it would help older OS users to move to newer versions much better, but they seem unwilling to throw in that support. I know they have no retail incentive to support old programs since they make money off new programs, but when you have people still refusing to move on past XP because they're afraid the newer Windows won't run their favorite stuff, it's time to consider letting new Windows run old things. Oh true, I may need that shiny new Windows version to play the new game but if I want to run Simcity 2000? That's one reason I own an XP computer- I have lots of games that Windows 7 seems to dislike, but run fine under XP. even MS knows this, because Vista was such junk, they only way to salvage 7 was to go back to XP and do it that way.

8 certainly didn't offer enough to help people move on from XP or 7 in large enough numbers.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I can understand. A big issue is "will my older stuff run on this new OS?" and more than likely it will not. I hate having to run DOSbox when native DOS support could be left in the OS. I dislike the fact that a 64-bit OS can't run a 16-bit application(unless you bypass with DOSbox) when they could toss in such support rather easily. MS could make every new Windows "all in one" and keep that old support, and I think it would help older OS users to move to newer versions much better, but they seem unwilling to throw in that support. I know they have no retail incentive to support old programs since they make money off new programs, but when you have people still refusing to move on past XP because they're afraid the newer Windows won't run their favorite stuff, it's time to consider letting new Windows run old things. Oh true, I may need that shiny new Windows version to play the new game but if I want to run Simcity 2000? That's one reason I own an XP computer- I have lots of games that Windows 7 seems to dislike, but run fine under XP. even MS knows this, because Vista was such junk, they only way to salvage 7 was to go back to XP and do it that way.

8 certainly didn't offer enough to help people move on from XP or 7 in large enough numbers.
    Older stuff usually hasn't been a problem for me, as Windows normally allows you to run something in compatibility mode (basically running it as though it was an earlier version of Windows). THat's one of the problems with 8 is that it didn't work in compatibility mode in a couple cases, and I really had to work to get it to function. Then add in that some of the programs THAT COME WITH IT don't work right. Windows Media Player crashes/can't find server about every three or four videos I play (and these are videos in playable format saved on the hard drive that will work immediately after the crash, so it isn't the files).

And using the "old stuff" isn't just a matter of not wanting to move on in some cases. I use Photodeluxe 2.0 for most of my playing around with images, and i do so for a reason. I've had Photoshop and Gimp and a few other photomanip programs, and there are still things I can do easily and quickly in PD 2.0 I can't do as easily or have the results turn out as well in those other programs. When I've had problems with it on my Windows 8, I've had to use one of those other programs, and it took three or four times as long to do what I needed, if I could figure out how to do it at all. Again, it comes down to one simple idea: if I buy an operating system, I need it to do what I, the owner of the computer and the guy who payed for the dang thing, need it to do, not what some guy with a tablet who only uses it for Facebook needs.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    I hate Windows 8 with a passion. Got it on my desktop and I want to downgrade back to Win 7.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live