Thread: Anyone have a toaster oven?

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Anyone have a toaster oven?

I've never had one, but recently picked one at a great deal. My ideal was to toss out the microwave and replace it with a toaster oven, but I've heard that may not be as easy as it sounds. Has anyone gone that route?

I was hoping to use it for mainly things like turkey dogs, and canned goods (heating up canned pasta, canned peas, canned beans, canned soup, canned chili, etc.). For those with toaster oven experience, re any of these feasible in a toaster oven?

I also just found an article of what sorts of dishes to use and not use in a toaster oven, which is interesting and obviously something to consider.

I was just hoping this would be a kitchen "upgrade" and I'm hoping my bubble will stay un-burst, lol.

So, toaster oven aficianados, what's your input?
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I've found that you really need both and personally have both. Or shall I say, a toaster over if you have the space is a nice addition, but not a replacement for a microwave as they're two totally different things.

A toaster/convection oven acts as a small oven so it'll give you that fresher, toastier, crisper result unlike an microwave. All a microwave essentially does is heat stuff up. I could go on and on, but again, and just to keep it simple...Think of it as a small oven. It's great when you don't want to start up your giant oven to cook 4 chicken tenders and such. Plus if yours does convection it's super fast. Microwave will give you speed in a lot of circumstances, but the results as we know are generally lackluster.

It really depends on what you're doing at that particular time in all honestly, but I find both to be great.

I have a toaster oven but never have gotten to really use it yet.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

Sometimes you gotta dance with the Devil, but when you do, don't let him lead.

We did that, but use the stove for all the canned stuff. It's great for cooking frozen pizza, fish patties, and single cookies.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    We did that, but use the stove for all the canned stuff. It's great for cooking frozen pizza, fish patties, and single cookies.
    I do the same thing too!
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Seems like it should be good for heating frozen foods that need to be baked without firing up the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Seems like it should be good for heating frozen foods that need to be baked without firing up the oven.
    Exactly, just think smaller scale and quicker cook times due to a smaller over-all space that needs to be heated. And yea....as for things that you would cook on the stove like canned stuff...That's best still ON the stove. =)

Thanks guys...how 'bout cooking burgers? I like turkey burgers and used to cook 'em in a skillet, but I haven't done so in a long time. Can you "cook" thawed burgers in a toaster oven?

(please forgive any impression of ignorance, again, this is all new to me, lol)

I'm sure the manual will tell me too, but I haven't opened the box yet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Exactly, just think smaller scale and quicker cook times due to a smaller over-all space that needs to be heated. And yea....as for things that you would cook on the stove like canned stuff...That's best still ON the stove. =)
    That just feels like so much "work" cooking on the stove. I know it's really not, but when you're so used to emptying a can in a bowl and poppin' it in the microwave, it just feels like it, lol. I was hoping a toaster oven might be a better alternative. Ah well, que sera, sera!
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Thanks guys...how 'bout cooking burgers? I like turkey burgers and used to cook 'em in a skillet, but I haven't done so in a long time. Can you "cook" thawed burgers in a toaster oven?

That just feels like so much "work" cooking on the stove. I know it's really not, but when you're so used to emptying a can in a bowl and poppin' it in the microwave, it just feels like it, lol. I was hoping a toaster oven might be a better alternative. Ah well, que sera, sera!

I've personally never cooked burgers of any kind on/in anything but a grill. Anything else is just plain nasty.

Where is all that grease going? That stuff is supposed to drain out out, not take a swim.

I wouldn't recommend cooking burgers in there at ALL.

Sounds kinda like you want a one device cooks all sorta thing, but in all due respect who cooks like that?

Certain things are just best cooked via one method more or less.

I'm also not sure I understand the "too much work" comment on the stove issue. Take a small pot, stick it on the stove and throw the contents of the can in it. Stir until heated.....That's literally it. It takes like 5 minutes or less to heat up a canned item via that method.

Yea, you gotta wash the pot out, but that's like a minute. =)

For burgers, I'd probably use a Foreman grill or something like that rather than a toaster oven
    Canned goods is usually stove top or microwave
    Last edited by Dave-Man; October 18, 2017 at 04:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post

You can cook the hamburgers, on the small broiler that it came with, but not always the best that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    I'm also not sure I understand the "too much work" comment on the stove issue. Take a small pot, stick it on the stove and throw the contents of the can in it. Stir until heated.....That's literally it. It takes like 5 minutes or less to heat up a canned item via that method.

Yea, you gotta wash the pot out, but that's like a minute. =)
    Oh please know I meant that in a humorous light, lol. I know I can do it, it's just that in comparison to things like a microwave it just seems like the old pioneer way of doing it than a quicker easier option, haha.