Page 199 of 217 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,975 of 5409

Thread: Whats the last DVD you bought?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Have you checked it lately? The 25th Ann DVD does not come lower than $70 at Amazon, and the Blu-Ray from Region 2 is $100. I think that is quite outrageous.
    It's this expensive because the DVD is out of print and has been for a while. None of the copies being sold on Amazon are actually being sold directly by Amazon. They are all from third party sellers who sell their products through Amazon (in some cases these are "fullfilled" by Amazon... which means the seller sends their products to Amazon to ship out for them, and the qualify for the free super saver shipping). I'm not sure if that Region 2 Blu-Ray is out of print or not, but if it is, then the combination of that and it being an import explains the price on it.

The "new" copies of the 20th anniversary DVD (meaning ones that were never opened) are going for a lot more than the used copies, as is often the case with out of print movies (though in some cases even used copies can go for quite a bit). The used copies on Amazon, while still kind of pricey for something that has been used, are far more reasonable, with a few coming in around $20. There are also auctions on ebay going for more reasonable prices.

Unfortunately this is what happens when some movies go out of print. I've run into it before, myself. I'll think of an old movie that I haven't seen or thought about in years, look it up, and find that at some point it was released on DVD, but is now long out of print (or one that seemed was recently readily available is suddenly scarce and out of print), with copies going for crazy prices.

I did get sort of lucky in a few cases, even if they did sort of require me to comprise on things that I normally avoid in my movie collection...

Tom Selleck was in a dark comedy movie in the early 90s called "Folks!" which I saw on video or cable back then (I forget which specifically) and found funny, even though, as I later found out, wasn't a box office hit by any means. I thought about it a year or two ago and decided to look for the DVD, only to find that it was out of print with "new" copies reaching and surpassing the $100 mark, and even used copies going for $40, $50, and often even more.

Then at one point last year a local Blockbuster video store was closing down and clearancing everything out. In addition to the movies in cases on the shelves, they had several discs in envelopes from their mail-rental service that they were selling for about $1 each. Normally I don't like buying movies without their cases, but I did pick up a good handful for that price (and in many cases I was able to find the case art online and print it up). And as I was looking through these movies, I almost crapped myself when I came across a copy of "Folks!"... for $1. And as I kept looking, I actually found 2 more copies, and I ended up buying all 3, figuring that at least one of them was bound to work in case any of them were scratched. It sucked not having the case (and I have yet to find a decent quality scan of the box art), but for that price I was not going to complain.

At one point, another obscure, box office failure that I saw on video years ago and was interested in seeing again was "Stuart Saves His Family", based on the Stuart Smally skit that Al Franken did on SNL. It was out of print with stand-alone copies going for crazy prices. But the same disc was included in one of those sets of 3 movies (each on their own disc) in one case together with two other SNL based movies, Wayne's World and The Coneheads. The 3-pack was going for a hell of a lot less than the stand alone movie, and while I already had Wayne's World and I usually avoid these sets as I prefer to have the movies in their own separate cases, for the price I wasn't going to complain.

Similarly, a movie that I hadn't seen since I was a kid and decided to look into was Back to the Beach. Out of Print, going for outrageous money. But there was also this really weird pack (weird because of the stark contrast between the types of movies, as opposed to the fore-mentioned SNL set which made sense) with Back to the Beach and Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy. This was an even bigger compromise since instead of being on separate discs, the movies are on either side of the same disc. Normally I would absolutely hate this, but I already had Brain Candy separately, so I don't care if that side of this other disc were to get scratched being face-up, and again, I wasn't going to complain about the price. This pack was so bizzare, though, as Back to the Beach is a very family friendly PG movie, while Brain Candy is a fairly hard R rated movie. But whatever.

Recently I paid almost $30 for The Meteor Man, which I could swear was in stores in the cheap bins at Wal-Mart not too long ago, but I couldn't find it anywhere for much less than that (in some cases it was going for more).

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I'm trying to get a set for Transformers G1 & I've checked that "TF: The Movie" is extremely expensive. Does someone know why?
    Because it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Not sure if I got the same version that is being sought. This is the one I got.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1363613133
    Nope. The one you got is the older 1-disc Rhino version. Not the 2-disc 20th Anniversary Sony release the R-Man is talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I definitely wouldn't recommend paying a ton of money for it. It was just ok, but the music was terrible.
    Nope, it was awesome! Everything about it was because Philly Cheese Steak...you got the Touch! You got the Poweeeeeeeeerrrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    It's this expensive because the DVD is out of print and has been for a while. None of the copies being sold on Amazon are actually being sold directly by Amazon.
    Maybe that has something to do with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Similarly, a movie that I hadn't seen since I was a kid and decided to look into was Back to the Beach.
    A great "bad" 80's movie from my teen years. Didn't know about that one going for high prices. I'm glad I got it when it first came out on DVD.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; March 18, 2013 at 11:32am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Nope, it was awesome! Everything about because Philly Cheese Steak...you got the Touch! You got the Poweeeeeeeeerrrrrr!
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Hey Jack...I bought Duck Dynasty Season 1 and Season 2: Volume 1 on dvd. It's not for yuppies, but it makes me Happy, Happy, Happy. lol.

See how many references to the show you can catch in those 2 sentences. lol.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; March 19, 2013 at 02:47pm.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Because it's awesome!
    Nope. The one you got is the older 1-disc Rhino version. Not the 2-disc 20th Anniversary Sony release the R-Man is talking about
    The old TF animated movie remains a favorite of mine - but I have to say, I actually prefer the older DVD version...when they cleaned it up a few years ago, they lightened a lot of the colors, and at least on my screen, a lot of the reds look pink, and overall the colors look washed out. Whereas my original DVD release, which I believe is the Rhino one, is dark and moody, and makes the animation look great.

As traumatic a film as it was to my eight-year-old self, I still get a kick out of it.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    If anyone is curious the current master of Transformers: The Movie that runs on the Hub is the same as the one on the 25th Anniversary edition of the movie. I've seen the pictures showing some of the very off color from that edition, but surprisingly the off color is only in certain scenes, it seems that different teams worked on restoring different sections of the movie and one of them pushed some of the reds into the pink zone. For example, Hot Rod in the beginning of the movie looks more pink but later in the movie he is his normal red color.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; March 20, 2013 at 01:18am.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Today I picked up:

The Hobbit Blu-Ray, Best Buy exclusive edition
    Jersey Girl Blu-Ray (temporarily onlu available at Best Buy).

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I got Kick-Ass, Sukiyaki Western Django, and Gamera Trilogy on Blu-ray.
    Last edited by adol; March 20, 2013 at 01:41am. Reason: Whoopsie!
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

The final season of Disney's Avengers cartoon, why did they cancel it? It was so good, unlike ultimate spider-man.

Heroic Warrior
    Ronin Warriors: The Complete Series (includes the OVAs as well)
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

Heroic Warrior

Bought this before I watched it. Luckily I wasn't disappointed.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Battlestar Galactica: Season 3
    Blue Streak
    Brother Bear 1-2
    Die Hard 25th Anniversary Collection
    Dinosaur
    Friends - The Complete Series
    Lincoln
    Prometheus
    Rise of the Guardians
    The Hunchback Of Notre Dame 1-2
    Whisper of the Heart
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 7, 2013 at 12:12am.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Stan lee's mutants,monsters and marvels at a doller store for a doller.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Deadwood: Season 1

Halloween 2 (1981)
    The Fly (1986)
    Phantasm
    The Fog (1981)
    Suspiria

the triumph and tragedy of world class championship wrestling
    (a pretty good set at a decent price at WMT, Ive always been a fan of wccw, this is all I think Ill be able to find since ol' vince has the rights for every old independent organization now- I dont think hes interested in promoting the organizations that used to compete favorably with wwf even though they are defunct)

Lego "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out"

Monsterwolf
    The Blackout

and a movie that appeals to both my love of bad horror movies and werewolf movies

Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    You Can't Do That on Film - A documentary on the kids' television show, You Can't Do That on Television.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

MOTU 30th box set.
    HELP Daniel (masque) Benedict with his He-Man Fan Film "Fall of Grayskull" Kickstarter campaign!
    WATCH the youtube video.
    DONATE to his Kickstarter project!!
    VISIT He-ManFilm.com to find out more.

Part Needs
    : MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Weird...me too! 30th Ann. Of He-Man box set.
    I got it $56 brand new...I LOVE my new job!!!
    Secret of Nihm.
    Mildred Pierce (miniseries)
    The Slums Of Beverly Hills.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Heroic Warrior
    I got seasons 1-4 of That 70s Show from Hastings for $5 brand new. I've seen the episodes a million times, but couldn't pass up that price.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Snide and Prejudice
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Warrior
    Wreck it Ralph 2-disc blu-ray/DVD combo special edition.
    Prison (1988) Collector's Edition blu-ray/DVD combo.
    From Beyond Unrated Director's Cut Collector's Edition blu-ray/DVD combo.
    MST3K Volume XXVI
    MadTV Season 2
    The Collection blu-ray/DVD combo.
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit blu-ray/DVD combo.
    The Nest blu-ray/DVD combo.
    Terrorvision/Video Dead Double feature blu-ray/DVD combo.
    Phantasm II Collector's Edition blu-ray.
    Willow 25th anniversary blu-ray.
    The Hobbit blu-ray.
    The Blob (1958) Criterion blu-ray.
    Batman Mystery of the Batwoman blu-ray.
    Superman Brainiac Attacks blu-ray.
    Mulan 1 & 2 3-disc special edition blu-ray/DVD combo.
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame 1 & 2 3-disc special edition blu-ray/DVD combo.
    Brother Bear 1 & 2 3-disc special edition blu-ray/DVD combo.
    Westworld blu-ray.
    Futureworld blu-ray.
    Schindler's List 20th anniversary 2-disc blu-ray/DVD combo.
    A nightmare on Elm Street Collection blu-ray.
    The Hudsucker Proxy blu-ray.
    InuYasha The Movie Collection blu-ray.
    Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome blu-ray/DVD combo.
    Monsters Inc. 2-disc blu-ray/DVD combo.
    Skyfall 2-disc blu-ray/DVD combo.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Super Hero Squad Season 1 as a gift.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    From Beyond Unrated Director's Cut Collector's Edition blu-ray/DVD combo.
    What's the PQ like on this edition? The cover art is a abit to be desired imo characters look nothing like the actors in the film (Jeffrey Combs looks more like Kurt Angle on the UK version ) My copy is on the way from Amazon hopefully I get it on my birthday 9th April.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray and This is 40 Unrated with Bonus disc Blu-ray.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.