Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Teela painting progression-Baena

Ice Teela painting progression-Baena

Hi all.

For those who care or are interested. Here's a little bit on how I paint digitally, this particular piece was done completely in Painter, No photoshop here.
    From the beginning this piece measured 7 inches by 7 inches at 300dpi. Even though I knew it would only be 500 pixels by 500 pixels in the end, I want to add as much as I can, you never know when someone wants something printed, so start big when you can, and when your hardware can take it. There are ways to cheat the huge size from the beginning, but that's another tutorial for another day.
    Enough of my babbling, let's paint!

First image here, is just the sketch. This piece never touched paper or pencil, it was started completely digitally. I just took Sllohcin's thumbnail for me, and went at it. I did have an idea of the changes to her costuming previously, but even that changed, you'll see as we go. I keep the sketch a very dark sienna type color, and I make the background at about a %50 value. So I can clearly see how dark my darks will be and how light my highlights will be.

Once the sketch is in, I rough in the local colors in a dark value, to act as an underpainting as such if your familiar at all with painting with oils. The idea is to start dark, and lighten as you build up the form.
    Here you can see I don't hold my sketch to be sacred. I paint right over top of it. I find if I fuss over some detail I like in a sketch, and try to keep it, I just end up messing it up. I like to work as fresh as I can, so I think of all these steps as a sketch building over itself over and over, the time to fuss details isn't at the beginning, it's at the end of a piece.

Here is just a continuation of laying down the local colors, and here is where I start to fix errors that were in my sketch origionally.
    I changed her hair, why? Because as cool and dynamic the hair was in the sketch, she's going to give herself a haircut when she swings her sword back down! Also how the heck did she get the sword back there without touching her hair? It was just wrong, so I had to fix it. I also hated the pants by themselves, so I put her skirt back on, but added the fur fringe found throughout her winter costuming. Now I can start lightening up the piece...

Here I basically move my colors up in value to build up her form, and help it read in 3D space a little better. I'm just taking the local color and bumping it up in value. I'm also starting to define where light is hitting her now. This is where the real work starts, and this can be the most time consuming part of the painting.

I continue to build up to my highest or lightest values, and then I go from painting with big blobby brushes to finer detailing brushes. I also remember at this point that Sllohcin wanted these on white backgrounds so... now the background is white. I've also continued to play with the lighting, I've introduced some reflective lighting to add interest. Knowing this is for a winter scene, I feel safe assigning a cool blue as the reflected light color. The reflected light will continue to help define her form.

Last edited by Baena; December 8, 2005 at 04:25pm.

Nice pic and interesting process. Being new to digital coloring this will help a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Now the last step in finishing this painting. I call it the "scrubbing out the details" stage. I basically clean up everything, going over the entire piece with fine detailing brushes. You'll note in the detail shot down there that I still kept even the final pretty rough. I knew this would only be used at a small resolution, so no need to noodle every little detail. Also, if I need to bring back some of the darker values, or define things better with linework, this is the stage for that. The very last thing, is to add effects, just airbrush some glows in with my magic glow brush! (standard Painter brush) And TA DA! DONE! Were this for print or a comic cover, I would've cleaned up even a level above this.
    Me personally, I like the more fluid painterly look in art. If you want it photorealistic? Go take a $@*^ photo.

Now, by all means, let the questions commence! As I'm sure I wasn't as clear with this as I thought. This is, in a nutshell, how I work a lot of the time when painting digitally.
    Traditionally? Many of these same principals apply, where the tools or medium your using will work this way.
    Last edited by Baena; December 8, 2005 at 04:26pm.

What resolution and size do you usually use if you want to print a pic out?

AWESOME work Baena. Super. Thank you for the insight in your working progress.

@ granbeetle.
    300 dpi is common for printing. (I know i am not Baena so, sorry for answering your question)

Thats awesome. Its also nice to see Teela in clothes..instead of freezing in the snow
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Being both an artist (bachelor's in illustration) & a Teela fan, I LOVE this piece. I had been looking forward to you posting this thread when you 1st hinted at it with the compilation piece.
    Overall Baena, I can wholeheartedly say you have done some of the BEST MOTU work I have ever seen, & this piece is no exception.
    I'm very impressed with your choices and usage of a more "painterly" look (in the digital format) which brings back the great vibe of the classic 80's box art. Fresh yet nostalgic...
    Keep up the awesome work, I look forward to you future pieces...
    Reminds me it's time to post some art.
    ~Jafari Stew
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    So that's how it's done!! I knew I should have taken a traditional painting class in college...

Thanks for sharing!!!

Baena, how long, on average, does it take you to colour a piece like this? i know it varies, but, well how long did this pic of teela take you? I love the detailed shot, She's very beautiful! and i agree, i like the painted look over a photorealistic look. Arts meant to be your own interpretation of something

Brilliant! Thanks for the inside info, man! This behind the scenes stuff fascinates me. Ya, how long does it take and how many hours a day do you work on it? Are you using layers? How are you setting your Wacom settings for Painter? This rank amatuer needs to know!
    Waz fo' lunsh?

GR81 says:

WOW!!! No question. but still drooling
    GR81 says : You're role... read what GR81 writes!!!

now THAT is a variant we would have been kicking and screaming for... ah well..

Baena, AWESOME job - that is just beautiful
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

This piece took about 3 to 4 hours to do. About 3 or 4 lunch breaks at work! Maybe 5?

Layers? Nope, not for this one, all on one layer, even the effects at the end.
    However, depending the piece, I will separate elements into layers, like foreground objects vs. characters vs. background, etc. I will also, in photoshop on occasion keep some adjustment layers, where I may tweek overlay textures or color washes that affect the enitre image, or parts, it really just depends on the piece.
    Many times when I get a piece with many layers, I'll flatten a bunch to keep it simple.
    I like to keep things simple, I don't need 5 or 20 layers for one image, to do that just seems ridiculous to me. But that's me.

Granbeetle, what MAXX said.
    A lot of comics require art to be at 400 dpi. But that's usually with linework, less so with paintings.

Please know that I don't approach EVERY painting this way. Just most of my stuff. It pays to be versitile.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Bang your head!!!
    Love it.

But...

Why can't Teela wear less like Ice Armor He-Man? If He-Man can do it, anyone can ...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

BAENA>>>>WOWWWWWWW
    thats amazing, truly amazing...can't wait till I get as good as you..LOL...will be a long time for that....but that tutorial will really help me out......can't wait to see more of your works...specailly that pesky...BAENA'S vision...???
    Sorry to bring that back up....
    Thanks for the great piece there.
    " I have the POWER!!!!!"
    Need:

Batman with the Batsignal from 4H line

Sucessful transactions with: Royalt1us, Jag2045, Zodach, WENDIGO, Burtdawg, Illicitjedi, KingHiss

I'd like a print please!!!

And seeing this makes me even MORE psyched to see the final colored piece you're finishing for me this weekend(ish)!!! I'm all warm and fuzzy....even though thay are both wintery scenes....

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179
    Love it.

But...

Why can't Teela wear less like Ice Armor He-Man? If He-Man can do it, anyone can ...
    Because Teela doesn't have the powers of Grayskull flowing through her... Yet.

Zodac101, ah yes that one project of mine...
    Basically I won't work on it, till I've gotten everyone's commissions to them.
    I feel bad enough that I do things like this now and then, I can't work on stuff for "me" until I get everything else done.

Someday it'll happen, someday...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    Zodac101, ah yes that one project of mine...
    Basically I won't work on it, till I've gotten everyone's commissions to them.
    I feel bad enough that I do things like this now and then, I can't work on stuff for "me" until I get everything else done.
    I suppose I'm not helping that cause much, huh? Sorry B. I can't help but add more and more to your plate! Your stuff is great!

Awesome. Thanks Nate.
    Now where is RoyalT with his Fisto....
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

A big fan of Slush Head
    Amazing work man you are really awesome at this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Divia
    Thats awesome. Its also nice to see Teela in clothes..
    Sorry. I just had to edit this to say what should be said.

*reverting to regional Scots dialect (just a step up from cave man on the evelutionary scale )* I dinnae ken fit yer sayin with the computer technique thingy but I ken I like the pic. *Anyways...*

Great pic Beana. I really like her look and her attacking pose. Though when I saw one of the first pictures in this thread it didn't have too much detail like the pommel on the sword and it looked to me like the old series sword but I realised she had a ponytail and that it's the new Teela. Though looking at her head in the picture if you just cut off the ponytail then it would be pretty much like the old Teela (it was the first coloured pic after the sketch).

Also at looking at the detail picture I noticed her face. To me she looks like the new Teela but at an age more like the old version (if you can understand what I mean). I like that touch. Great stuff and keep it coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Beautiful!
    Look for my Children's book on Amazon.com. Search for "Silus 2000"!http://www.amazon.com/Whos-Whats-Wha...7946870&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune
    Sorry. I just had to edit this to say what should be said.

*reverting to regional Scots dialect (just a step up from cave man on the evelutionary scale )* I dinnae ken fit yer sayin with the computer technique thingy but I ken I like the pic. *Anyways...*

Great pic Beana. I really like her look and her attacking pose. Though when I saw one of the first pictures in this thread it didn't have too much detail like the pommel on the sword and it looked to me like the old series sword but I realised she had a ponytail and that it's the new Teela. Though looking at her head in the picture if you just cut off the ponytail then it would be pretty much like the old Teela (it was the first coloured pic after the sketch).

Also at looking at the detail picture I noticed her face. To me she looks like the new Teela but at an age more like the old version (if you can understand what I mean). I like that touch. Great stuff and keep it coming.
    Ummmm, sure. Thanks... I think.

That is so cool, Baena! I loved seeing the progression to the masterpiece.
    I love He-Man.org!!!

If you can work without many layers, thatīs great (I wish Iīll learn to do the same one day, cause my computer canīt handle my projects ).

But what if you wanted to change Teelaīs hair-colour...like dye it green?
    Wouldnīt that mean youīd have to start all over, or would you cheat and just change the hue/saturation/lightness on the area that is hair (though colour-wise, that wouldnīt give the results wanted, as the light would reflect differently from a green hair than from red. And I know you want things looking correct).