Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Teela painting progression-Baena

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka
    But what if you wanted to change Teelaīs hair-colour...like dye it green?
    Wouldnīt that mean youīd have to start all over, or would you cheat and just change the hue/saturation/lightness on the area that is hair (though colour-wise, that wouldnīt give the results wanted, as the light would reflect differently from a green hair than from red. And I know you want things looking correct).
    If I wanted to change her hair green?
    Because it's digital, there are dozens of ways I could do it. As a digital artist, I should be aware and know how to do many of them. In this case, I was pretty sure the final deal was the final deal, I'm working with an EASY art director called, justdothepieceandbedonewithit. So Teela's hair or lip or eye or sword or whatever color wasn't going to change.

If I was doing this for any one else I would've kept Teela on her own layer. To change her hair color, I'd keep transparancy locked, and just colorize her hair with a few brush strokes, the brush set to a "color" blend mode.
    The most effective method I've seen has been in comics where you have a channel that has all your local flat colors on it, so any local color can be grabbed with the magic wand. Lineart on one layer, and colors beneath, with a final layer of effects on top. As long as you keep that flats channel, a color change can happen in two clicks, vs. painting a new color on. It just depends the piece, and it depends on the how you want the color to look. Again, I like to keep things as simple as I can.

Great question Jukks.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Oh! I dude I wish you had the time to go into more detail like brush sizes and types. Can you run over the starting process again please. Making the line art coloured etc.? Screen shots?
    As I told you before I got painter my self but I'm trying to think of what kind of drawing to do that will ease me in, so to speak.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Um, the screenshots there are plenty self explanitory I believe.
    Nothing fancy, just make your background a medium neutral value. Then start drawing with a dark color or black even.

As to brushes?
    I used to be into all kinds of textural brushes, and fancy brushes, but I've found I'm moving to more of a simple set up for my brushes as well.
    A brush is just a tool. Build the brush that works for you.

I tend to only use a small handfull of brushes.
    Some kind of square brush or pallet knife type brush,
    A round brush that bleeds or mushes paint together,
    And another round brush that holds a more sharper edge.
    Then I have some effects type brushes that are really more just simple soft airbrushy brushes.

That's how I've evolved to working up to now, who knows what I'll be doing in a year. There are other effects I like to do to add texture to a piece, so I'll add a scribbly scratchy brush, or a spattering brush now and then. I'll use these both at the very beginning of a piece, and then again at the end.

How to make all these brushes? That would be a whole new, HUGE tutorial, one for Photoshop brushes and one for Painter brushes. Something I don't have time right now to do.
    But again, you can find this info in your software manuals, it takes experimentation on your part to find what you like for you.
    Ya have ta get in the program and mess with EVERYTHING. In doing that you'll find things you like, things you hate. You'll find what you need for you.

As an artist, you should be an observer first and foremost. When you see stuff ya like and are drawn to, think it through in your mind how you might achieve that, then DO IT. You won't be perfect at it when you try, that's not the point, but it will help you grow, and as you do it more and more, you'll get there.

I hope I get there someday.

Wow, ya pulled a Yoda-moment outa me, and it all started with brushes! Sheesh!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Baena,

Sweet work. I don't get to visit these forums as much, the ol' work place put a stop to our over usage of the internet. So i can try to check back tonight at home, but...

Did you use your mouse to draw this in Painter or a digital pencil that uses a special pad? Just curious... i heard those digital pencils are cool.

And does Painter come in Mac or can you attempt something like what you did in Photoshop, as I am an advet Adobe user with a Mac.

Great work, I enjoy seeing realistic styles like yours!

Wacom Tablet and stylus.
    I haven't used a mouse in four years to paint anything.

I'm retarded now with a mouse.

And that's okay.

Man I really need to get that wacom tablet...I have only used the mouse...that can be very time consuming.....buggin her alot ...maybe this summer for my B-day...LOL
    " I have the POWER!!!!!"
    Need:

Batman with the Batsignal from 4H line

Sucessful transactions with: Royalt1us, Jag2045, Zodach, WENDIGO, Burtdawg, Illicitjedi, KingHiss

Baena,

I absolutely love this piece. I just PM'd you. I can imagine that you already have alot on your plate with all of the fan commissions. You bring so much life into these MotU characters.

I just saddens me that I might not get to "use" you for my project due to your high demand.

Good to know you are wanted though, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    Um, the screenshots there are plenty self explanitory I believe.
    Nothing fancy, just make your background a medium neutral value. Then start drawing with a dark color or black even.

As to brushes?
    I used to be into all kinds of textural brushes, and fancy brushes, but I've found I'm moving to more of a simple set up for my brushes as well.
    A brush is just a tool. Build the brush that works for you.

I tend to only use a small handfull of brushes.
    Some kind of square brush or pallet knife type brush,
    A round brush that bleeds or mushes paint together,
    And another round brush that holds a more sharper edge.
    Then I have some effects type brushes that are really more just simple soft airbrushy brushes.

That's how I've evolved to working up to now, who knows what I'll be doing in a year. There are other effects I like to do to add texture to a piece, so I'll add a scribbly scratchy brush, or a spattering brush now and then. I'll use these both at the very beginning of a piece, and then again at the end.

How to make all these brushes? That would be a whole new, HUGE tutorial, one for Photoshop brushes and one for Painter brushes. Something I don't have time right now to do.
    But again, you can find this info in your software manuals, it takes experimentation on your part to find what you like for you.
    Ya have ta get in the program and mess with EVERYTHING. In doing that you'll find things you like, things you hate. You'll find what you need for you.

As an artist, you should be an observer first and foremost. When you see stuff ya like and are drawn to, think it through in your mind how you might achieve that, then DO IT. You won't be perfect at it when you try, that's not the point, but it will help you grow, and as you do it more and more, you'll get there.

I hope I get there someday.

Wow, ya pulled a Yoda-moment outa me, and it all started with brushes! Sheesh!
    Thanks man. That's some useful information. I best get messing about then!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Absolutely amazing, Nate!

I have to agree with you... I really love the looser brush style as opposed to something that's really tight. It gives the piece so much more life, imho.

Again, freaking awesome job!

Now... When can we expect to see that Stratos? Or have I just missed it?

--Leanne <--

Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca
    Absolutely amazing, Nate!

I have to agree with you... I really love the looser brush style as opposed to something that's really tight. It gives the piece so much more life, imho.

Again, freaking awesome job!

Now... When can we expect to see that Stratos? Or have I just missed it?

--Leanne <--
    Sorry Leanne, Baena-vision is on hiatus until I can catch up with all the work I've got. You didn't miss Stratos, he'll be one of the first ones I do though when I come back to the project.

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Sorry Leanne, Baena-vision is on hiatus until I can catch up with all the work I've got. You didn't miss Stratos, he'll be one of the first ones I do though when I come back to the project.
    Aww, that's okay.

It just gives me something else to look forward to!

--Leanne

Thanks Leanne, it's good to hear from ya.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    yet another awesome peice! dude this is just the way i woulda pictured her in her winter gear.

sweet!!!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Ummmm, sure. Thanks... I think.
    Yeah. I have a tendancy to rant about things. My basic point was I thought it was a good cross between the old school and new Teela (wish I could have thought of that sentence then).

Although thinking back to the pic. Is it part of a larger picture where she is fighting someone or is she just in an attacking pose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I just want to paint... paddavis's Avatar
    Cooool!! I hope this is the first of many step-by-steps by yourself!! It's nice for us wannabees to get a insight at how the pros do what they do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune
    Yeah. I have a tendancy to rant about things. My basic point was I thought it was a good cross between the old school and new Teela (wish I could have thought of that sentence then).

Although thinking back to the pic. Is it part of a larger picture where she is fighting someone or is she just in an attacking pose?
    I think I know what you're asking here...

She was painted for this project: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=111703

She's attacking... something.

HordeGirl
    This is wonderful! I adore it.

Amazing! The steps you take look so simple yet when I try them, I get what is known as 'mud'. It's your cuts that dazzle me. I can't seem to fathom how you and some others (Royalt1us) can pull out such clean-looking details with just a stroke of a brush. Incredible!

I just can't tell you enough how much your work impresses me. You've got some mad-skillz my good man... some very mad-skillz!

* Thanks for the tut too. Practice makes perfect, eh?
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

I just want to paint... paddavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin
    Amazing! The steps you take look so simple yet when I try them, I get what is known as 'mud'. It's your cuts that dazzle me. I can't seem to fathom how you and some others (Royalt1us) can pull out such clean-looking details with just a stroke of a brush. Incredible!

I just can't tell you enough how much your work impresses me. You've got some mad-skillz my good man... some very mad-skillz!

* Thanks for the tut too. Practice makes perfect, eh?
    I second that!

Awesome
    Some of my artwork
    Some more of my artwork
    "When the troll's upon you, you're a mighty fighter."

Vegor-Friend of Animals jakobinsane's Avatar
    gorgeous as always!
    Erie Americana Punk Rock
    http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20050215140632
    Saving lives everyday!!
    http://www.veganoutreach.org and http://www.peta.com

H.E.A.L. Human Earth and Animal Liberation

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin
    It's your cuts that dazzle me. I can't seem to fathom how you and some others (Royalt1us) can pull out such clean-looking details with just a stroke of a brush. Incredible!
    Interesting...I havenīt seen Royalt1usī colour-work at all. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka
    Interesting...I havenīt seen Royalt1usī colour-work at all. Do you have a link?
    Royalt1us colored Ice-Armor He-Man and Fisto in the same project as this.
    Myko - The Most Powerful Mushroom in the Universe
    a.k.a. The Official King of Cool

http://myko--.deviantart.com

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I've always wanted to learn something like this. You are SO TALENTED.

I have to say this, He-Man.org has some of the most talented fans I have EVER seen!

I never knew that pic was part of a bigger project. Man, howd I miss that.

Yeah, its not fair that some fans get all the talent and the rest of us can't even draw stick figures

Still, as long as I keep seeing art I dont mind.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.