Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 125

Thread: Ice Teela painting progression-Baena

  1. #26
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka
    But what if you wanted to change Teelaīs hair-colour...like dye it green?
    Wouldnīt that mean youīd have to start all over, or would you cheat and just change the hue/saturation/lightness on the area that is hair (though colour-wise, that wouldnīt give the results wanted, as the light would reflect differently from a green hair than from red. And I know you want things looking correct).
    If I wanted to change her hair green?
    Because it's digital, there are dozens of ways I could do it. As a digital artist, I should be aware and know how to do many of them. In this case, I was pretty sure the final deal was the final deal, I'm working with an EASY art director called, justdothepieceandbedonewithit. So Teela's hair or lip or eye or sword or whatever color wasn't going to change.

    If I was doing this for any one else I would've kept Teela on her own layer. To change her hair color, I'd keep transparancy locked, and just colorize her hair with a few brush strokes, the brush set to a "color" blend mode.
    The most effective method I've seen has been in comics where you have a channel that has all your local flat colors on it, so any local color can be grabbed with the magic wand. Lineart on one layer, and colors beneath, with a final layer of effects on top. As long as you keep that flats channel, a color change can happen in two clicks, vs. painting a new color on. It just depends the piece, and it depends on the how you want the color to look. Again, I like to keep things as simple as I can.

    Great question Jukks.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  2. #27
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    Oh! I dude I wish you had the time to go into more detail like brush sizes and types. Can you run over the starting process again please. Making the line art coloured etc.? Screen shots?
    As I told you before I got painter my self but I'm trying to think of what kind of drawing to do that will ease me in, so to speak.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  3. #28
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,717
    Um, the screenshots there are plenty self explanitory I believe.
    Nothing fancy, just make your background a medium neutral value. Then start drawing with a dark color or black even.

    As to brushes?
    I used to be into all kinds of textural brushes, and fancy brushes, but I've found I'm moving to more of a simple set up for my brushes as well.
    A brush is just a tool. Build the brush that works for you.

    I tend to only use a small handfull of brushes.
    Some kind of square brush or pallet knife type brush,
    A round brush that bleeds or mushes paint together,
    And another round brush that holds a more sharper edge.
    Then I have some effects type brushes that are really more just simple soft airbrushy brushes.

    That's how I've evolved to working up to now, who knows what I'll be doing in a year. There are other effects I like to do to add texture to a piece, so I'll add a scribbly scratchy brush, or a spattering brush now and then. I'll use these both at the very beginning of a piece, and then again at the end.

    How to make all these brushes? That would be a whole new, HUGE tutorial, one for Photoshop brushes and one for Painter brushes. Something I don't have time right now to do.
    But again, you can find this info in your software manuals, it takes experimentation on your part to find what you like for you.
    Ya have ta get in the program and mess with EVERYTHING. In doing that you'll find things you like, things you hate. You'll find what you need for you.


    As an artist, you should be an observer first and foremost. When you see stuff ya like and are drawn to, think it through in your mind how you might achieve that, then DO IT. You won't be perfect at it when you try, that's not the point, but it will help you grow, and as you do it more and more, you'll get there.

    I hope I get there someday.

    Wow, ya pulled a Yoda-moment outa me, and it all started with brushes! Sheesh!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior TitusAV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    155
    Baena,

    Sweet work. I don't get to visit these forums as much, the ol' work place put a stop to our over usage of the internet. So i can try to check back tonight at home, but...

    Did you use your mouse to draw this in Painter or a digital pencil that uses a special pad? Just curious... i heard those digital pencils are cool.

    And does Painter come in Mac or can you attempt something like what you did in Photoshop, as I am an advet Adobe user with a Mac.

    Great work, I enjoy seeing realistic styles like yours!

  5. #30
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,717
    Wacom Tablet and stylus.
    I haven't used a mouse in four years to paint anything.

    I'm retarded now with a mouse.

    And that's okay.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior Zodac101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,690
    Man I really need to get that wacom tablet...I have only used the mouse...that can be very time consuming.....buggin her alot ...maybe this summer for my B-day...LOL
    " I have the POWER!!!!!"
    Need:


    Batman with the Batsignal from 4H line

    Sucessful transactions with: Royalt1us, Jag2045, Zodach, WENDIGO, Burtdawg, Illicitjedi, KingHiss

  7. #32
    Atomic Powered G-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,731
    Baena,

    I absolutely love this piece. I just PM'd you. I can imagine that you already have alot on your plate with all of the fan commissions. You bring so much life into these MotU characters.

    I just saddens me that I might not get to "use" you for my project due to your high demand.

    Good to know you are wanted though, eh?

  8. #33
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    Um, the screenshots there are plenty self explanitory I believe.
    Nothing fancy, just make your background a medium neutral value. Then start drawing with a dark color or black even.

    As to brushes?
    I used to be into all kinds of textural brushes, and fancy brushes, but I've found I'm moving to more of a simple set up for my brushes as well.
    A brush is just a tool. Build the brush that works for you.

    I tend to only use a small handfull of brushes.
    Some kind of square brush or pallet knife type brush,
    A round brush that bleeds or mushes paint together,
    And another round brush that holds a more sharper edge.
    Then I have some effects type brushes that are really more just simple soft airbrushy brushes.

    That's how I've evolved to working up to now, who knows what I'll be doing in a year. There are other effects I like to do to add texture to a piece, so I'll add a scribbly scratchy brush, or a spattering brush now and then. I'll use these both at the very beginning of a piece, and then again at the end.

    How to make all these brushes? That would be a whole new, HUGE tutorial, one for Photoshop brushes and one for Painter brushes. Something I don't have time right now to do.
    But again, you can find this info in your software manuals, it takes experimentation on your part to find what you like for you.
    Ya have ta get in the program and mess with EVERYTHING. In doing that you'll find things you like, things you hate. You'll find what you need for you.


    As an artist, you should be an observer first and foremost. When you see stuff ya like and are drawn to, think it through in your mind how you might achieve that, then DO IT. You won't be perfect at it when you try, that's not the point, but it will help you grow, and as you do it more and more, you'll get there.

    I hope I get there someday.

    Wow, ya pulled a Yoda-moment outa me, and it all started with brushes! Sheesh!
    Thanks man. That's some useful information. I best get messing about then!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior of Avion
    StratosMacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,582
    Absolutely amazing, Nate!

    I have to agree with you... I really love the looser brush style as opposed to something that's really tight. It gives the piece so much more life, imho.

    Again, freaking awesome job!

    Now... When can we expect to see that Stratos? Or have I just missed it?

    --Leanne <--

  10. #35
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,717
    Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca
    Absolutely amazing, Nate!

    I have to agree with you... I really love the looser brush style as opposed to something that's really tight. It gives the piece so much more life, imho.

    Again, freaking awesome job!

    Now... When can we expect to see that Stratos? Or have I just missed it?

    --Leanne <--
    Sorry Leanne, Baena-vision is on hiatus until I can catch up with all the work I've got. You didn't miss Stratos, he'll be one of the first ones I do though when I come back to the project.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior of Avion
    StratosMacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    Sorry Leanne, Baena-vision is on hiatus until I can catch up with all the work I've got. You didn't miss Stratos, he'll be one of the first ones I do though when I come back to the project.
    Aww, that's okay.

    It just gives me something else to look forward to!

    --Leanne

  12. #37
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,717
    Thanks Leanne, it's good to hear from ya.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  13. #38
    Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,783
    yet another awesome peice! dude this is just the way i woulda pictured her in her winter gear.

    sweet!!!

    =)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

    My Trader Feedback thread:

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    Ummmm, sure. Thanks... I think.
    Yeah. I have a tendancy to rant about things. My basic point was I thought it was a good cross between the old school and new Teela (wish I could have thought of that sentence then).

    Although thinking back to the pic. Is it part of a larger picture where she is fighting someone or is she just in an attacking pose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  15. #40
    I just want to paint... paddavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    383
    Cooool!! I hope this is the first of many step-by-steps by yourself!! It's nice for us wannabees to get a insight at how the pros do what they do best!

  16. #41
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune
    Yeah. I have a tendancy to rant about things. My basic point was I thought it was a good cross between the old school and new Teela (wish I could have thought of that sentence then).

    Although thinking back to the pic. Is it part of a larger picture where she is fighting someone or is she just in an attacking pose?
    I think I know what you're asking here...

    She was painted for this project: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=111703

    She's attacking... something.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  17. #42
    HordeGirl
    Guest
    This is wonderful! I adore it.

  18. #43
    MOTU Mini-Masters! Sllohcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Camden East, Canada
    Posts
    3,332
    Amazing! The steps you take look so simple yet when I try them, I get what is known as 'mud'. It's your cuts that dazzle me. I can't seem to fathom how you and some others (Royalt1us) can pull out such clean-looking details with just a stroke of a brush. Incredible!

    I just can't tell you enough how much your work impresses me. You've got some mad-skillz my good man... some very mad-skillz!

    * Thanks for the tut too. Practice makes perfect, eh?
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

    My DeviantART

  19. #44
    I just want to paint... paddavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin
    Amazing! The steps you take look so simple yet when I try them, I get what is known as 'mud'. It's your cuts that dazzle me. I can't seem to fathom how you and some others (Royalt1us) can pull out such clean-looking details with just a stroke of a brush. Incredible!

    I just can't tell you enough how much your work impresses me. You've got some mad-skillz my good man... some very mad-skillz!

    * Thanks for the tut too. Practice makes perfect, eh?
    I second that!

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior He-Ro 666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Parkville,Maryland
    Posts
    2,410
    Awesome
    Some of my artwork
    Some more of my artwork
    "When the troll's upon you, you're a mighty fighter."

  21. #46
    Vegor-Friend of Animals jakobinsane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,476
    gorgeous as always!
    Erie Americana Punk Rock
    http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20050215140632
    Saving lives everyday!!
    http://www.veganoutreach.org and http://www.peta.com

    H.E.A.L. Human Earth and Animal Liberation

  22. #47
    Scrolls Reviewer Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin
    It's your cuts that dazzle me. I can't seem to fathom how you and some others (Royalt1us) can pull out such clean-looking details with just a stroke of a brush. Incredible!
    Interesting...I havenīt seen Royalt1usī colour-work at all. Do you have a link?

  23. #48
    Crazy Colorist Myko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka
    Interesting...I havenīt seen Royalt1usī colour-work at all. Do you have a link?
    Royalt1us colored Ice-Armor He-Man and Fisto in the same project as this.
    Myko - The Most Powerful Mushroom in the Universe
    a.k.a. The Official King of Cool

    http://myko--.deviantart.com

  24. #49
    Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Valley Village, CA
    Posts
    3,532
    I've always wanted to learn something like this. You are SO TALENTED.

    I have to say this, He-Man.org has some of the most talented fans I have EVER seen!

  25. #50
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,806

    I never knew that pic was part of a bigger project. Man, howd I miss that.

    Yeah, its not fair that some fans get all the talent and the rest of us can't even draw stick figures

    Still, as long as I keep seeing art I dont mind.
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •