Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Evil Horde - Evil Robot prototype

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I already owned "an" italian knock-off version loose on my side in hands and I compared to the Mattel's prototype Evil Robot pictured on the catalog sheet and I confirm that all parts are exactly the same ones (excepted the head of course).
    I am saying "an" because different versions of the bootleg are existing/ some of them have plastic parts and colors changing, but I can just confirm one thing: all of them have the same size.
    Small?? Or almost the size of a vintage figure?

Smallest.

Take a look on this picture (found on Google and probably already posted on this forum somewhere some years ago):

I am also pretty sure that an "official" japanese version of the toy is existing because the Evil Robot AD is printed on a sheet coming with the Mattel's catalog, not printed directly inside the catalog with the other Motu toys and the Meteorbs are also on the same sheet (at the back of it if I remember well).
    So, we know that Mattel bought some molds from Bandai Japan to make all the Meteorbs, I am sure that it was the same story about the Evil Robot envisaged at the same time and it is explaining why the tall size is smaller than a regular Motu figure (like Meteorbs are very little also...display the Comet Cat or Ty-Grrr beside the Battle cat, it is ridiculous sincerely lol).

Italy was doing a lot of knock-off toys from official japanese toys by the past.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; November 23, 2012 at 09:21pm.

So at least one of the toys may have been smaller but one was used as a base for a larger one???

And the mystery continues....

For me, if an official japanese toy is existing like I am thinking "as base", it is the same size than the bootleg versions for sure, and, my guess, than the Mattel's Evil Robot prototype also.
    Like the Meteorbs have the same sizes than the original Bandai Japanese ones and all the knock-Off we already seen of them (and so many are existing).

Edit: just seen an old message posted by Peter LeRose on this forum, the Evil Robot's AD sheet is a single sheet and the Meteorbs are on an other separated sheet, but both sheets were coming inside the same Mattel's catalog and not directly printed inside the catalog like I was explaining with the other Motu toys.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; November 23, 2012 at 09:35pm.

Thank you TOKYONEVER, that was the photo I was comparing too!
    I was comparing photos a few months ago because I wanted to do a custom of Evil Robt for my collection, and I give up because I get to conclusion that those robots were casted from the same mold because all parts are exactly the same (except the head). Also you don't had to be detective to compare photos from catalog where the HAND is touching the robot prototype, and to scale it up in Photoshop and compare with your own hand and see about what size is that figure... so I made my conclusion that it is smaller than standard MOTU figures.

Because of that I give up making custom since original casts from the mold already exists so I decided to get one (if I ever have a chance) and use it as a base or mold it and cast it, rather than making a new sculpt.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Hmm, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know those robots were smaller than a standard MOTU figure. I would have been pretty disappointed when I got it in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    Hmm, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know those robots were smaller than a standard MOTU figure. I would have been pretty disappointed when I got it in my hands.
    Even if they are smaller than standard MOTU they would fit in size with Gwildor, Rotar, Twistoid, and Orko (also Loo Kee and Cowl from POP)

And Meteorbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Even if they are smaller than standard MOTU they would fit in size with Gwildor, Rotar, Twistoid, and Orko (also Loo Kee and Cowl from POP)
    i've got one of this, the "Squirt Robot". Even in Italy it was commercialized by GIG and called "Robot Spruzza Acqua". That's the comparison picture. It's tall 94mm from head to toes.

Fighting the Bootleg campaign - Enjoy the Battle Klones Forces

Add BATTLE KLONES on facebook

http://www.pietrocarretta.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3694852...7627928909160/

Quote Originally Posted by BATTLE KLONES View Post
    i've got one of this, the "Squirt Robot". Even in Italy it was commercialized by GIG and called "Robot Spruzza Acqua". That's the comparison picture. It's tall 94mm from head to toes.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3855/...d0b44a69_o.jpg
    https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5503/...5c16f389_o.jpg
    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3875/...f5a450f1_b.jpg
    Cool. Thanks for sharing those photos!
    So this would be the only smaller character in a vintage Horde. But Evil Robot was maybe a few mm taller because of the head.

I've got a few of these Robot toys loose and MOC, they are definately what was used to make the Evil Robot prototype, and they are small as everyone has said.
    Megalodon doesn't know what he's talking about.

Here is a pic of the Japanese version, it has a few small differences.

Yes! I was sure it was originaly a japanese toy haha! thx a lot for the discovery PeterzorII!
    Now I wonder if there are different models existing in Japan (like for Italy).

- - - Updated - - -

I got a big surprise this morning, I was waiting a package full of old Mattel catalogs and Inside the 1984 one I finally found the Evil Robot Ad sheet.
    I already had these catalogs, I just bought the lot because they where very cheap, the seller was an old senior field engineer from Mattel.
    And now I can also understand better why the Horde Logo is missing on this sheet, it is one from 1984 and not 1985 like I was allways thinking (excepted if the seller put it Inside the wrong catalog because I also got the 1985 one in the lot, I can't be 100% sure).
    Unfortunately the Meteorbs sheet was not Inside, just few more sheets from other toylines.

Last edited by TOKYONEVER; July 11, 2014 at 07:53am.