Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roboto legs Different colours?

Bam

Roboto legs Different colours?

hey peeps
    i have just recieved another roboto but this roboto has pink boots and pink thigh pads and i have 2 others which are silver is this a variant or repaint?

darko
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam
    hey peeps
    i have just recieved another roboto but this roboto has pink boots and pink thigh pads and i have 2 others which are silver is this a variant or repaint?
    No, I think given certain conditions the silver paint on robotos legs can change from a silver to a pink over time. In others words there's some type of chemical reaction between the silver paint and the red plastic that robotos legs are made of. Kinda like when copper changes to a greenish color when expose out in the enviroment. I have seen several like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darko
    No, I think given certain conditions the silver paint on robotos legs can change from a silver to a pink over time. In others words there's some type of chemical reaction between the silver paint and the red plastic that robotos legs are made of. Kinda like when copper changes to a greenish color when expose out in the enviroment. I have seen several like this.

YEAH, THAT HAPPENED TO ONE OF MINE.

Quote Originally Posted by darko
    I think same thing (some Mocs have this problems too)

I don't think it's due to age, I think some paint jobs were just naturally worse than others, depending on where they were manufactured.

For instance, almost all of my U.S. Robotos have the purple bleeding through, while almost all of my European Robotos don't show this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jenius
    I don't think it's due to age, I think some paint jobs were just naturally worse than others, depending on where they were manufactured.

For instance, almost all of my U.S. Robotos have the purple bleeding through, while almost all of my European Robotos don't show this at all.
    really not due to age? please see the arms of king randor euro....or face on rotar euro....some characters have a problem with the time...it's real

Trust me, it's due to age... My Two-bad has the same problem and you can just brush the pink off. Offcourse it will come back. It's the paint that is oxidising because the use of metal in the paint.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

YB Roboto an YB Two Bad don't have this problem...
    I'm a "YELLOW BORDER" collector !!! www.grayskullmuseum.com

All my Roboto (2 or 3, I think) have this problem. Same thing for Two-Bad. Didn't know some has reached us with their original color.
    I have some Blackstar figure also and the gold pice all turned green.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Quote Originally Posted by lmdlu
    YB Roboto an YB Two Bad don't have this problem...
    Exactly. Some do this, some don't. Depends on where they were manufactured.

Heroic Warrior

Variant Roboto?

I purchased Roboto the other day, and then I noticid here on the site on the collectors guid, from the pictures, that it looks like the original Roboto had more red:ish, light purple colored boots, but mine got silver painted boots..Were there a variant of Roboto that got silver painted boots or has my Roboto been re-painted?

actually that's not a variant. Unfortunately, the purple and reddish is a problem with the paint. They are all supposed to be silver. You got a good one There is a variant though. There is one with a bright yellow gear in the stomach and one with a dull yellow gear in the stomach. Good luck getting both, the dull yellow is a bit more common.
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by boggs32
    actually that's not a variant. Unfortunately, the purple and reddish is a problem with the paint. They are all supposed to be silver. You got a good one There is a variant though. There is one with a bright yellow gear in the stomach and one with a dull yellow gear in the stomach. Good luck getting both, the dull yellow is a bit more common.

Ok, thank´s a lot for the info! Good to know that I got a more rare one!

Do ALL Roboto legs turn purple?

Does anybody have a Roboto with nice red and silver legs that haven't turned purple, or does it happen to all of them?

hmmm Sounds like sun damage! My Roboto I had was near mint, and I had it most of my life and it didn`t turn purple. I actually sold it with the rest of my collection, and got a pretty good price for it.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    hmmm Sounds like sun damage! My Roboto I had was near mint, and I had it most of my life and it didn`t turn purple. I actually sold it with the rest of my collection, and got a pretty good price for it.
    I think it a purple coating they put on it, but it comes off easy, but I think it's suppose to be on there, so the silver legs are the ones that are not mint.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    OH NO!

Like with Two bad, when the metallic paint starts to break down, it leaks a purple ooze. I have a few that this has happened to indeed, and the only hope for you is that it isn't too bad (hehe, had to) and you can wipe it away without removing too much more paint from underneath, and spare yourself a bit of time before you get a new one.

OR!

The leg itself is starting to break down, and it's done for. Either way, you can still play with it for a long long time. The original presentation of Roboto was red and silver, with no purple at all. It's just really common for it to be leaking at least a little bit of oozy purple goodness, which yes, does rub off because it has become rather viscous on the uppermost (oxygen touching) areas.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; January 17, 2009 at 07:34pm.

Isn't there two separate versions? Silver legs, and purple wash legs? I was always under that impression. Silver turning purple doesn't really make sense.

I would say it's not a variant, but that's just me. And I've seen other forms of plastic turn purple too, like the legs above She-Ra's boot because of the gold breaking down, many of the Golden Girl figs my wife has, and again Two Bad. It's not necessarily turning purple itself, but something (combination of what the two plastics have become as they break down and try to molecularly combine with whatever is around them, mostly oxidation I think) oozing out that has the purple tint in it.

I wiped clean a Roboto many many years ago and thought I was in the clear, only to uncover it in all it's oozy glory later. That, combined with the fact that nowhere else in motu has Mattel tried a wash on a figure, and it being so overly runny, viscous and easy to just wipe off, leads me to believe that purple is a bad thing, not a variant. Also, I've found too many variations on the viscosity to be production variants, rather I believe them to be the worsening stages of breakdown. I've taken the silver right off before with little effort.

Have you been told it was a variant before?

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Here's 4 that I didn't clean the purple off,

and here's one that I did clean the purple off:

Wow, He-bro, that looks pretty good...what did you use to clean it?

ha did you drill a usb storage device into roboto? awesome idea!!!
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MerMan72 View Post
    I can't speak for hebro, but I used the Magic Eraser and it cleaned both Roboto and Two Bad easily.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

I use a paper towel for most of it, and a dry tooth brush for the rest, sometimes a stubborn place I would rub with my fingernail.

I remember that usb drive, I love that thing! Just the light alone is pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMan72 View Post
    Dawn Dishsoap and warm water.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    ha did you drill a usb storage device into roboto? awesome idea!!!
    Yep, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    I remember that usb drive, I love that thing! Just the light alone is pretty sweet.
    Thanks