Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roboto legs Different colours?

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Take siliconspray it will take away the red without damging the silver! Also good agains brittle rubber and many other Problems.

Heroic Warrior kylefromdirtnapp's Avatar
    Here's my little Roboto army: One is totally purple, one is silver as the day it was new, and one is in between. I never did anything to any of them. I consider it a nice little natural variant. My buddy also has another for me sitting in his window, we're trying to bleach out the red jaw and gear.

I'm going to stop collecting toys and start smoking crack. Crack is cheaper and less addictive.
    My collections and trade/sale stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    I would say it's not a variant, but that's just me. And I've seen other forms of plastic turn purple too, like the legs above She-Ra's boot because of the gold breaking down, many of the Golden Girl figs my wife has, and again Two Bad. It's not necessarily turning purple itself, but something (combination of what the two plastics have become as they break down and try to molecularly combine with whatever is around them, mostly oxidation I think) oozing out that has the purple tint in it.

I wiped clean a Roboto many many years ago and thought I was in the clear, only to uncover it in all it's oozy glory later. That, combined with the fact that nowhere else in motu has Mattel tried a wash on a figure, and it being so overly runny, viscous and easy to just wipe off, leads me to believe that purple is a bad thing, not a variant. Also, I've found too many variations on the viscosity to be production variants, rather I believe them to be the worsening stages of breakdown. I've taken the silver right off before with little effort.

Have you been told it was a variant before?
    Hold on a sec, your wife collects golden girls? Thats awesome. Wish my gf collected figures.

I hadn't heard it was a variant from anyone. I just always assumed even from before I was ever on these boards. You raise some good points though. You learn something new everyday.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    My wife "collects" POP and a few other things like Golden Girls. The only thing that's not more me buying her stuff is her vinyl toys , mostly artist related. But she is a great sport about it .

Now, I'm not saying it's not a variant by any means of absoluteness for sure. That was just the first time anyone has said that to me, so I was confused. So I am preconditioned to say it's just age like I thought and others I've asked thought. So the learner could very well be me. But I don't know why they would do the legs purple, that's strange, but it is motu, what's not strange about it. The only major evidence I have to go either way is that I had one turn back, but it wasn't in the light, it was in the attic, so maybe heat or air did it, idunno, and that one isolated incident is in no way a case study.

It's just that him and Two Bad are so often time sticky and have colors on them is all, we should think it through better probably. I'll def try 'n stay open minded.

And even if it is turning purple, to most people it's no big deal. Rub it off and go on, so I hate to make it sound like the toy is forever dead in my eyes. I just think like a preservationist, and will try to find a prefect specimen for a collection, so really there is no need to replace it unless your like me, or that it is a variant. You know, now that this has been brought up, I'll probably keep a purple one around the next time I get one. Just not clean it just in case .

Roboto's Boots: Silver or Red?

Hey guys, I've been searching for a minty Roboto and have noticed that some have red legs with silver boots and some have mostly red legs. Is this a variant or just the silver having some type of chemical reaction? All MOC ones I've seen have silver boots thought, so that might answer my question.

Heroic Warrior
    As far as I know, there is only one version of Roboto, the one with silver boots (there might be variations between figures produced in different countries, but I've never seen any, so somebody else might shed some light on that). Roboto's legs "leak" paint (the same problem as with Two Bad figures), so the red coloring from legs is what destroys silver paint...
    I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

You can remove the red. I've done it - I think with rubbing alcohol. It tends to come off pretty easily.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    A Magic Eraser takes off the purple to reveal once again the silver paint and does a great job cleaning the figure without damaging the paint. It is an "oxidation" of sorts and is NOT a variant as some of the replies here may suggest. There is a chemical composition in the paint that breaks down due to a combination of things; time, environment, etc. Same can be said for Two Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KidRandor View Post
    A Magic Eraser takes off the purple to reveal once again the silver paint and does a great job cleaning the figure without damaging the paint. It is an "oxidation" of sorts and is NOT a variant as some of the replies here may suggest. There is a chemical composition in the paint that breaks down due to a combination of things; time, environment, etc. Same can be said for Two Bad.
    Awesome! Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried removing the red ooze from my Two-Bad with dishwashing liquid and with goo gone (not together) and it was not as easy as I thought it would be. Going to try the Magic eraser next.