Thread: Commemorative Skeletor's shade of blue VS original Skeletor

Commemorative Skeletor's shade of blue VS original Skeletor

I want my Skeletor to have full boots. Since I can't seem to find a vintage figure in mint shape(at leats not without paying aigh price for a Dragon Blaster in good condition), it'd make my search easier if I could just find one with perfect legs and swap them over. So do any of the vintage Skeletor figures have a shade of blue that matches the Commemorative release? There are at least the original, Battle Armor and Dragon Blaster(Terror Calws has different feet). I can not find a solid comparison of these figures online

A Skeletor figure with full boots? What do you mean by that?
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

None of mine match the commemorative Skeletor. You might try finding a nice vintage Skeletor in good condition without accessories. That would be relatively cheap. The you could swap over accessories from the commemorative version.

I've been unable to find an original Skeletor in good condition without getting into super high prices. Even in the $50-$60 range they have paint wear, dirt, discoloration, black leg rot, or other issues. Even if I could find a loose vintage with just a clean body and good fete I could probably swap heads over.

I can find some cheaper DB Skeletors but it's still an investment for an unworn one.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I've been unable to find an original Skeletor in good condition without getting into super high prices. Even in the $50-$60 range they have paint wear, dirt, discoloration, black leg rot, or other issues. Even if I could find a loose vintage with just a clean body and good fete I could probably swap heads over.

I can find some cheaper DB Skeletors but it's still an investment for an unworn one.
    Really? I did a quick search on ebay, and the cheapest loose buy it now Skeletor in good condition is going for $7.50. Full boots, too! Ending soon.

If it's the same one I saw, it has some scuffs/scratches on the torso. I do have some high standards of condition though when I shop, I tend to skip over anything that even has minor paint wear. A skilled painter with access to a good selection of paints could probably fix them, but often I find paint matching to be a bit tricky when it comes to certain colors.

I considered swapping over my Comm BA Skeletors's legs but comm figures use a different leg socket design than vintage figures, and the purple shade used is a bit light.

I actually have a shade of purple here that's almost a perfect match to Mattel's factory paint though, but the only sealer I have is gloss. Walmart here doesn't carry them so I just ordered bottles of matte & satin varnish to seal the paint with. Figured it'll be far cheaper and since I don't have to mix colors it'll be simple to water the paint down and brush it on cleanly.

I have a hard head DB Skeletor, probably a later version- how does its blue compare to Terror Claws? I'm not too much of a fan of the TC figure(I don't care for the stupid torso armor) but if their blues are a close match I could always arm swap and give DB the claws.

I have a hard head DB Skeletor, probably a later version- how does its blue compare to Terror Claws? I'm not too much of a fan of the TC figure(I don't care for the stupid torso armor) but if their blues are a close match I could always arm swap and give DB the claws.

http://i.imgur.com/w0wjJ9U.jpg
    That's not a color match either, unfortunately.

The one I saw a while back on ebay was pretty flawless, for under $10. I still think that's your best bet. Just watch the auctions, looking for Skeletor, sort by lowest price, and find the lowest price flawless Skeletor without accessories, or keep an eye out for new auctions as they come.

I got a complete one for $20 a few years ago, and it was like it just came out of the package.

I just painted the boots, or at least the missing back sides. It's not a 100% match to the factory paint but it is very close, so much so you have to really look close to tell. 4 thinned coats on the sides, with 2 coats on the bottom edge, and sealed with clear varnish. Hopefully once the paints cure in 48 hours it'll be pretty chip resistant. Still annoyed Mattel decided to paint the commemorative Skeletor like this, but between that and Trap Jaw's hook, I suspect they didn't think people intended to open them in the first place.

I did consider swapping legs with the comm BA Skeletor, but comm legs use a different socket design and I wasn't sure if the standard screw eye/o-ring method would work due to the different molding. Probably just as well, that figure has lighter purple boots.

Nice match! Personally my preference is for the half-boots Skeletor (with the orange marks on his face and purple trunks). But I'm sure a big part of that is nostalgia - that's what I had as a kid.

I wasn't even aware of half-boot until last year. I definitely had full boot as a kid, soft head too. Hard to forget the heads being squishy. There are so many variants based on country of manufacture, varying the shade of blue for the body, color used on the boots, face deco, etc. DB and even later standard Skeletors look to even have a different mold for the feet, it's not quite the same.

Paint I used was Apple Barrel 20594E Royal Violet. I only brushed on the bare back half of the feet, the color difference seems to show a bit more in the photo, and I think the clear sealer layer is partly to blame. Digital cameras pick things up differently than the eyes do.

The blue of Terror Claws Skeletor and the hard head Dragon Blaster Skeletor is nearly identical. The arms swap easily. If I can figure out how to bind the chain to the wrist(the green clip won't fit) I will probably juts give the claws to DB Skeletor. TC Skeletor is not a variant that's grown on me, that sports bra armor is really awful.

dbskeletor.jpg

I just painted the boots, or at least the missing back sides. It's not a 100% match to the factory paint but it is very close, so much so you have to really look close to tell. 4 thinned coats on the sides, with 2 coats on the bottom edge, and sealed with clear varnish. Hopefully once the paints cure in 48 hours it'll be pretty chip resistant. Still annoyed Mattel decided to paint the commemorative Skeletor like this, but between that and Trap Jaw's hook, I suspect they didn't think people intended to open them in the first place.

I did consider swapping legs with the comm BA Skeletor, but comm legs use a different socket design and I wasn't sure if the standard screw eye/o-ring method would work due to the different molding. Probably just as well, that figure has lighter purple boots.
    http://i.imgur.com/Y3GkyDG.png
    Nice job, I could not do any better myself.

I have a full boot naked original Skeletor
    Last edited by adam03; April 13, 2017 at 02:34am.