Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-man/She-ra DVDs to be re-released?

He-man/She-ra DVDs to be re-released?

Looks like both series are hard to find in their entirety for a reasonable price. Anyone know if Mill Creek has permanently taken these out of production or if more might be forthcoming? Season 2 of He-man is going for like 99 bucks...
    Check out The Erotic Adventures of Buck Thruster! (Space Captain) on Amazon Kindle!

Oh my.. you are indeed correct.
    Everything is out of print and everything from third party sellers has skyrocketed..
    It's not just Mill Creek's Season 2. It's all seasons.

Let's send them a message see what they reply

Edit:

They replied:

Hi there, thank you for your inquiry. Those titles are no longer being manufactured. Thank you.
    Last edited by demiscy; February 20, 2017 at 02:12pm.

I hate to use the phrase "in a movie year," but I'm sure at least MOTU would get re-released on DVD if a new movie gets made. She-Ra is a bit iffy, though.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS ENCYCLOPEDIA
    Featuring bios, powers, weaknesses, stats, pictures and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Thats my hope as well, unless a movie is made or there's behind an important business strategy, I want the complete collection on HD! plus brand new artworks and misc memorabilia
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

By the way you should try Amazon Germany. They released the seasons recently on bluray. It's not actual HD just the episodes on bluray discs

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    Thats my hope as well, unless a movie is made or there's behind an important business strategy, I want the complete collection on HD! plus brand new artworks and misc memorabilia
    It's literally impossible to release the Filmation cartoons in true HD, because the original film rolls were destroyed after being digitized (and that happened before the Full HD era—not to mention before the 4K era—so we're stuck forever with low-definition digital masters, as the analog originals whence new digital masters in high-definition could have been produced no longer exist).

I cannot for the life of me understand what crossed the mind of those who thought it a good idea and decided to destroy the film originals in favor of digitized versions (whose definition is always lesser than the analogs, and therefore image and sound definition was bound to be lost to some degree, which only becomes more and more painfully obvious as higher and higher definition standards become the norm, whereas the digitized masters made over a decade ago will remain forever frozen in time in the low-definition era of yesteryear).

Thats why the German BD release, rather than an actual (impossible) high-definition release, was actually just a way to pack more episodes (with the same low-definition as the DVD release) into fewer disks.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Actually, HD masters were found. Many of them too.
    I think (I'm not 100% sure) James Eatock mentioned this a while back.
    So this whole urban legend about the destruction of the masters is not 100% true.

Hopefully James clarifies the info about masters. Last time I chatted with him, it didn't sound so cut-and-dry about what was available. But only he knows the details for certain.

As far as a re-release of the DVDs, I'm not sure that will happen. They didn't sell exceptionally well ten years ago. They came out the gate fairly strong, but fell off with each additional release. They ended up being repurposed and re-released a number of times as dollar bin/bargain bin DVDs.

So add 10 years to the mix when interest is down further on MOTU/POP, and I don't see how they could do any meaningful re-release unless it was another discount set with a limited run.

On top of all that, considering how Blu-Ray sales have been on a sharp decline for the past two years and how DVD sales have been declining for five+ years, it's safe to say that streaming video is the future.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    As far as a re-release of the DVDs, I'm not sure that will happen. They didn't sell exceptionally well ten years ago. They came out the gate fairly strong, but fell off with each additional release. They ended up being repurposed and re-released a number of times as dollar bin/bargain bin DVDs.

So add 10 years to the mix when interest is down further on MOTU/POP, and I don't see how they could do any meaningful re-release unless it was another discount set with a limited run.

On top of all that, considering how Blu-Ray sales have been on a sharp decline for the past two years and how DVD sales have been declining for five+ years, it's safe to say that streaming video is the future.
    This is so sad. I'm glad I bought mine as they were released (all except for the second volume of NA which I'm still kicking myself about). I so much prefer having real physical copies as opposed to streaming. Actually owning something is so much more meaningful than just being given the opportunity to stream it (at least for me).

Luckily, I have all the shows on DVD. What I don't like about streaming is the fine print disclaimer you can usually find that basically says they can pull it at anytime even if you paid for it.

I agree 100%. We had been streaming the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas special on Amazon the last couple of years, since it was free on Prime. Then they pulled it this year. Fortunately a copy of that is easy to come by on eBay - I am glad I got the full series of She-Ra and He-Man when I did, even though season 2 of She-Ra was expensive.

Season 1 (Mill Creek version ) is on Amazon for $15.15. Season 2 (Mill creek) was on E-baby for $44.99. Season 1 and 2 (Eclipse) is on E-bay right now as a buy it now set for $79.99.

- - - Updated - - -

Season 2 (Mill Creek) has a new But it Now listing for $20.25 on E-bay.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Wow, I hadn't realized that these are all out of print now. I'm all set in that I kind of went nuts collecting the He-Man and She-Ra DVDs (I have all of the seasons releases and re-releases from BCI, Mill Creek, and Classic Media, so I have almost all of the episodes at least twice, if not more in some cases (I did also buy the 30th anniversary set when it was out, and have some of the random volumes of a handful of episodes as well). I think NA is the only exception where I have only 1 copy of some episodes. I have the two BCI sets for the complete NA series, and then whatever episodes were included in the 30th anniversary set.

It kind of stinks, but most likely the license to release them ended, and it likely wasn't worth it for Mill Creek to pay to renew it for what probably amounted to trickling sales.

If it's true that masters exist that would allow the original shows to be released in HD, I would love for that to happen. I doubt it will anytime soon, though, if ever. Our best bet would be if a new movie ever actually gets made and released, and even then it is iffy. We may just end up with new DVD releases using the existing masters from the past releases.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; March 1, 2017 at 03:09pm.

In the name of the Lloyd!

It's been nice seeing the show available on Hulu and now Netflix, but I'd still love to see a new box set with extra special features!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    It's been nice seeing the show available on Hulu and now Netflix, but I'd still love to see a new box set with extra special features!
    I've been enjoying Season 1 of He-man and She-ra on Netflix.
    Now just waiting for season 2
    Skeletor, if there's a good bone in you, send help!
    There isn't! Never has been, never will be.

I have most of She-Ra on the 2009 release German DVD boxsets, I just need part 2 of season one, though I did get the complete boxset in September, which was a 2012 re-release of the series, just without all the artwork and scene print cards.

If there were places out there that do have masters of the series and there was a company willing to give the time and care to do a true HD mastering of the series, I would buy it instantly.

I'm bummed I never got the replacement discs that were made for the She-Ra sets - to this day I cannot play episodes like Assault on the Hive and Enemy with my Face...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I'm bummed I never got the replacement discs that were made for the She-Ra sets - to this day I cannot play episodes like Assault on the Hive and Enemy with my Face...
    If I remember correctly, the BCI "Enemy with My Face" issue of playing "Small Problems" instead gave some people problems like myself, but others did not have any issues, so if you have another dvd player, you might want to test it out. "Assault on the Hive" had an issue, but it should be just a couple second pixelation/audio pop problem.

With Mill Creek re-releasing the much less popular C.O.P.S. and Jayce on DVD soon (those shows failed to get finished by Shout Factory and then had 2 volume sets of all the episodes through Mill Creek years ago), I have a feeling Mill Creek would re-release MOTU again if they still had the rights. If somebody can get the rights for cheap enough, maybe we will see the shows out again on DVD. It may take a new cartoon or movie to see them out again, though.

I do hope those mysterious NTSC masters that Busta talked about see the light of day some day.

I do hope those mysterious NTSC masters that Busta talked about see the light of day some day.
    You and me both! To hear Adora's voice in its proper register again would make me unbelievably happy.

Does anyone know if the German "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" Komplette Serie 14 Disc DVD Set has any of the bonus features like the documentaries the US version had?

I only own the UK 'Best of' DVDs and a few French box sets but I'd like to buy the whole collection with the original voices. It's just very frustrating 'cos there's multiple releases at various prices and it's not very clear what editions come with bonus features...

Quote Originally Posted by the fixer View Post
    Does anyone know if the German "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" Komplette Serie 14 Disc DVD Set has any of the bonus features like the documentaries the US version had?

I only own the UK 'Best of' DVDs and a few French box sets but I'd like to buy the whole collection with the original voices. It's just very frustrating 'cos there's multiple releases at various prices and it's not very clear what editions come with bonus features...
    It does have documentaries. Though note that all episodes have localized episode title screens and that all season 2 episodes have season 1 intro. The episodes themselves are all in proper form, no ghosting, no jaggy lines issues as on recent release.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    It does have documentaries. Though note that all episodes have localized episode title screens and that all season 2 episodes have season 1 intro. The episodes themselves are all in proper form, no ghosting, no jaggy lines issues as on recent release.
    Thanks for the help, Grimbot! Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by cayman shen View Post
    Looks like both series are hard to find in their entirety for a reasonable price. Anyone know if Mill Creek has permanently taken these out of production or if more might be forthcoming? Season 2 of He-man is going for like 99 bucks...
    I had not realized they were going for so much now.

I have all the He-Man ones... but I am looking to get the She-Ra DVDs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Streaming is definitely the thing these days... but folks like me like to OWN the content... rip it to an external drive, and have it with us, so we can watch it on a plane, or a hotel (which may not have internet, or costs money)...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    By localized, do you mean the episode titles immediately after the opening sequence are all in German?

I didn't realise the Season 1/2 intros were different?
    Last edited by litefoot; April 22, 2017 at 05:58am.

Hi. do you know if the complete She-Ra german Dvd box set also has the documentaries that were included in her US dvd releases from BCI?
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!