Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 200x redesigns you don't like?

A big fan of Slush Head

Which 200x redesigns you don't like?

I just want to know how many feel the same way regarding certain 200x figures.
    I think the 4H have done an amazing job but like everything in life there is nothing perfect.
    There are several 200x redesigns that I don't like that much.

Here is my list:

Tung Lashor: I feel like he is a different character, I don't feel he is the same character from the 80s. I love his 80s version but the 200x doesn't look like the classic at all.

Sorceress: The 200x is not the Sorceress IMHO.
    I hate the egyptian look.

King Hiss: Though this is not the fault of the 4H, I don't like the new Hiss.

Whiplash: Another redesign that doen't feel like the 80s version. Too fat, and looks dumb.

Clamp Champ: I don't hate the new design in this particular case but I think he doesn't look that cool. I prefer the first Clamp Champ we saw a few years back at the Comic Con that used Fisto parts.

He-Man: That figure we got is not He-Man.

So how about you ?, which 200x redesigns you don't like? or would like to change something about it?
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Sorceress: The 200x is not the Sorceress IMHO.
    I hate the egyptian look.
    i agree

Teela:I don't like the long hair and she should have her snake headpiece

He-man: I hate the new power sword

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I don't really hate any redesign but the following are my least favourites.

Tung Lashor - although much more snake like, He could have been smaller.

Clamp Champ - I've gone off CC a bit, I like his techno type armor, but he just looks boring, maybe its just the character.

He-Man: by far the worst of the 200x figures for me. I don't like the sword, he is not big enough muscle wise and his hair is awful.

Tung Lashor: I miss the poison frog look he had and don't like him being so big with a Predator mouth.

Zodac: Wrong color and the glowing tattoo's are a dumb idea.

Whiplash: I want a lizard crocodile man not a fat goblin.

Grizzlor: I want a bigfoot type monster not a lion monkey.

King Hiss: Just needs work.

Sorceress: I want a bird women not Cleopatra.

Prince Adam: The teenage boy concept to lure a younger audience was a bad idea. He should be older and the head needs a much better sculpt.

Teela: Needs to be older.

All the rest are pretty good. The only other things would be scale and I do wish that everyone had their classic colors.

Bang your head!!!
    Toys:
    He-Man, Beast Man and Wiplash- should have had more mass.
    Zodak- I love the alien design and prototype.
    Rattlor- more mass along with better color aps, and the body harness is rather pointless.
    King Hsss- bad color aps and lack of articulation.
    Kobra Kahn- too dark and shiny.
    Clamp Cham- should have stuck with the Fisto body.

Cartoon:
    Fisto- whats the deal with his face 90% of the time?
    Moss Man- too many plan elements involved with him.
    Wiplash- don't think he translated too well from toy to toon.
    Snake Men (excluding Snake Face and Sssqueeze)- what the hell?...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

I like them all except Battle Cat.

Ram Man- wasted opportunity. Armor design doesn't work.

Teela- Too manga inspired. 80s Teela way better.

King Hiss- just weak.

Sorceress- really dislike the flying pose. Don't mind the design but the statue should've been standing

Mantenna- Real disappointment.

Leech- Too similar to the original. And the original was crap.

He-man - We get Kevin Bacon from footloose

Sorceress - Too Egyptain

Clamp champ - too tacky? Maybe its just the character

Grizzlor - Um...the Supermodel from eternia? Way too thin!

Kobra khan - doesn't look like he's even part of the MOTU toy line

King Hsss. The original stood out to me because of the smirk, which was gone. Also the original just looked creepier, more devious. The new one's design was at least more regal, but it also felt too far removed from the original's charm. He also looked better in the cartoon than as a toy which was a shame. Plus no articulation coupled with unbent arms (so that he can't hold his staff upright) ruined it completely for me.

Rattlor. He just had armor added and a T Rex head. I liked the personality and the power/authority he commands, but otherwise I don't think his new design was right for him. I missed the snake-skin gloves too.

Marlena. Not a figure, but I thought her color scheme was too generic and plane in the new cartoon. There's also something odd about giving her a bigger crown than Randor. I guess I'm petty to notice such things. She looked better in the battle armor though.

Stratos. I like him except for how those wings work.

Zodak. I just don't like his pose. I'm pretty okay with the race change, but the pose looks so silly and I think there was something lost about making his helmet removable. Plus he's eternally looking down even though he's semi-squatting.

Zoar. From a falcon to some kind of parachite exotic bird? I prefered the warbird from the original line.

It probably doesn't count, but I hate all the vehicles and playsets (new and redesigned). Even Battle Cat isn't how I think he should be.

The box art! It's not a figure, but it was redesigned, and it was TERRIBLE.

The new MOTU logo. Just blah. But cool, some intern at Mattel must have learned to use Illustrator making that.

Just to defend Adam, I loved the teenager approach, I think it was much better and made me not want to just forget about Adam as a secret identity. I think the toy face wasn't as good as the cartoon face, but I stand by that figure.

The Sorceress would have been better with the classic colors and sleeves.

King Hsss: He just doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the figures. His face is too cartoony and he lacks proper articulation because of his transforming feature.
    MUNDO!!

Sorceress, I just don' care for it and her personality is to cold and distant.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Sorceress: The Egyptian look wasnít a good way to go with this character, in my opinion- and it didnít fit at all with Castle Grayskull. I much preferred the Filmation design.

He-Man: I know that this wasnít the initial design that the Horsemen wanted to go with- but as is, he needs to be bulked up much more, everywhere, especially his legs. Disliked the techno aspect of his weaponry. The anime face and hair didnít suit the character- his face really needs to be fleshed out. From the shoulders up, his musculature is pushed forward far too much; giving him a caveman/hunchback look (I thought this was also an issue with many of the other figures).

Teela: Far too skinny in the legs... it almost looks like she has cadaver legs, and the muscles have atrophied. Would have liked to have seen shorter hair, without the ponytail and the ďside twigs.Ē I miss the snake armor.

Tung Lashor: Much too big- I agree with some of the other posts... he didnít even feel like the same character. Even though the original figure wasnít very snake-like, I liked that design more.

Clamp Champ: Donít care for the tubing or the techno armor- I much preferred the version initially shown at San Diego Comic Con with Fisto armor/parts.

Rio Blast: Too similar to Man-at-Arms in the face. Get rid of the arm canon and the Terminator cyborg features.

Whiplash: Needs to be slimmed down and given more of a crocodile appearance.

Aside from this- I thought the furry skirt-like loincloths needed to be shortened- or made out of another material... they seemed to really get in the way of playability (caused the figures to not comply with the vehicles very well/couldnít sit properly). There are a few other nit-picky things I would have changed with some of the other characters that I didnít list above... Man-at-Armsí shoulder pad armor was far too big/clunky and got in the way. Man-E-Facesí gun needed to be scaled down- he couldnít even stand up with it. Robotoís feet need to be scaled down, as well as Fistoís hand and Jitsuís hand- theyíre just too ridiculously huge (Jitsuís hand, in particular, seems to be half the size of his body).

In general though, Iíve enjoyed most of the Horsemen designs- and even if I didnít like a particular design, I still thought it was interesting. Some of the characters that I thought they got 100% right: Trap Jaw, Skeletor, Mosquitor, Orko, Two Bad, Mantenna.

Its a short list. I was happy with most of it. I am SO pleased to have gotten these figures I can't say enough about them. But just a few were poorly done for my tastes.

Battle-Cat's helmet - Vintage helmet for the win.

Whiplash - Too clunky. I don't really know what I would change off the top of my head, but I'd start with a complete over haul. I just don't care for him.

Tung Lashor - Ick. Ick ick. What is that thing? I wanted an update of the 80s figure. What I got was this hulking monster. In the new toon he's just a poor man's General Rattlor. I wish he would have been slimmed down and had a personality.

King Hssss - The figure was probably the worst we saw in the new line. Both forms were flawed. And that lack of articulation in favor of a cruddy action feature? Lame. I want his human form to look like a noble kingly, warrior. And his snakes to look like a pile of scary snakes. As he is, his human form is more scary than the snakes. And they need bendy arms, not stuck in badly posed position hard plastic arms. He could use a sword too for his human form.

Mosquitor - I was really hoping for more with this character. He looks like just another gun toting flunky. I wanted to see him more ancient and terrible. A Dracula-like character. I can't see him being more than some Horde soldier/thug in his new incarnation. Its not a bad looking figure at all. Its just not what I wanted for Mosquitor.

He-man's Power Sword - Hate it.

That's about all I kind think of that I didn't like...oh and MYP Mossman. It isn't a figure, and God willing it never will be. Mossman deserves better than that. Terrible look, worse vocal choice.

*****EDIT*****

Orko figure! Too large. That one is so obvious I forgot to mention it before. haha.
    Last edited by davidlogan; September 8, 2007 at 02:02am.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

He-Man. I just can't stand the design. Fisrt off his outfit is all brown which makes him look so generic. The new power sword is AWFUL and his face looks like he's straining. This figure ruined the relaunch for me.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

Me I loved them all

apart from

toys/stats

Clamp Champ - but did not like the orginal aswell and hate the character as a whole

evil lyn - her head looked squshed and teelas body. Love the redue

Kobra khan - only because the head peice was not designed to come off (well I removed mine) looking forward to the redue

Grayskull - there is only one and thats the one from the 80s cartoon with that awsome brigde leading to the door

as for the show

the under use of the main villans - beast man mostly - he always seemed to be there but doing nothing

I`m happer with this lot more than the orginals

I'll stick to Clamp Champ and Teela. CC is to me a boring character and Teela should've been older. I actually like the idea of Adam being younger than Teela.

Sorceress: The wings sprouting from her back made her look freakish. I didn't care for the Egyptian look at all.

Teela: Liked the long hair and Xena moves, but she should've been older.

Grizzlor: Mainly just cause he is smaller then what he looked like in the show. he looked taller and did not look like he had a huge slouch. that is it really. just should have made him taller and better posture.
    Men who crave power, look back on all their mistakes, pile them all together and call it destiny.- Sorceress

Good Journey- Eternian saying
    Review of 2002 Image comics Masters of the universe Vol 1 #1 of 4: Here
    Trodorne's Masters Of The Universe Heroclix board. Here.
    Masters Of the Universe Heroclix Custom Dials. Here

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Sorceress I hated the new headdress and wings. She turns into a bird, I don't see a need for wings. The cape of feathers that the classic Sorceress wore made her appear even more regal.

Man-At-Arms Only complaint here was the giant shoulder pad that made him kind of inflexible.

Teela The weird hair tendrils were ugly, so I snipped mine off. Her face is a little hard and too anime-like.

Stratos He was great except for the weird backwards wings that flip down.

He-Man The face was awful, the colors were too bland, and the musculature was not big enough. They corrected this in later releases like Ice Armor/Martial Arts/Snake Armor. I wish they'd released a regular version using the Ice Armor sculpt.

He-Man's sword. Oh, the controversy. I hated it at first. It took forever for me to get used to, but eventually I liked it. Overall, I think it should have matched She-Ra's.

Clawful Too big, but otherwise ok.

Buzz Off/Webstor/Mosquitor I don't like their skinny insectoid bodies.

Whiplash/Tung Lashor Too big and bulky, and I don't even recognize the characters with these sculpts.

King Hsss The flip-up armor just didn't work. The tiny snake inside wasn't imposing or scary at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    He-Man The face was awful, the colors were too bland, and the musculature was not big enough. They corrected this in later releases like Ice Armor/Martial Arts/Snake Armor. I wish they'd released a regular version using the Ice Armor sculpt.
    Yes, I also liked Ice Armor He-Man, specially the colors. This should of been his regular colors. Would of gave him a more epic and 'powerful' look
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

Co-Creator of the NV
    I think that pretty much across the board the redesigns were excellent, particularly He-Man because I thought the original was hideous and the figure made him look like a chunky ******. But I gotta go look at ice armor He-Man now cuz i am curious about what he looks like *soon to head off to the org picture archive*

I wasn't sure what to make of the Sorceress though. On the one hand, she was a way better design than the original. On the other hand, I am not sure if I would want that design to be for the sorceress. Like... Objectively i think she looked much better in MYP, but maybe that design would've been better on someone else, with the sorceress keeping a more traditional look.

What would be good for the the statue series what i would like to see is all the statues to scale and the height and weight variance between each character.
    Men who crave power, look back on all their mistakes, pile them all together and call it destiny.- Sorceress

Good Journey- Eternian saying
    Review of 2002 Image comics Masters of the universe Vol 1 #1 of 4: Here
    Trodorne's Masters Of The Universe Heroclix board. Here.
    Masters Of the Universe Heroclix Custom Dials. Here

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    He-Man-Should have been bigger, like Flex magazine bigger. Hate the anime haircut. Even non-fans see the 200X He-Man as scrawny.
    Teela-Should have been older, more voluptous.
    Sorceress-Why an Egyptian Pyramid in an English Castle? This is like one of the only designs where Filmation is better.

Beastman-where is the war paint? And he needs to be wider.
    Whiplash and Clawful-More designs where Filmation is better. Whiplash and Clawful had better attitudes and better designs. If the 4H could make updated versions of those designs or give those Filmation personalities to those MYP characters they would be way better.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Beastman-where is the war paint? And he needs to be wider.
    Really? How much wider can he get?
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

There are two characters that I don't like at all: He-Man and Tung Lashor. Although the Ice Armor version of He-Man looks kinda cool.

And I don't like that much King Hsss face/head, I would have liked it closer to the original one, but the rest of the figure looks great and after a while I don't mind that much the head thing anymore.
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud