Thread: Is this is a good time to start collecting vintage MOTU?

Court Magician

Is this is a good time to start collecting vintage MOTU?

Hey guys - I built a pretty big MOTU collection about 4 years ago and sold them off to fund other collecting interests.

I'm kinda catching the bug again though and was wondering if this is a good time to get into it. Prices seemed to have dropped a bit compared to 2011-2012.

What do the seasoned collectors think? Is vintage MOTU on an upward or downward trajectory?

Thanks guys!

Turk

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by turkdlit View Post
    Hey guys - I built a pretty big MOTU collection about 4 years ago and sold them off to fund other collecting interests.

I'm kinda catching the bug again though and was wondering if this is a good time to get into it. Prices seemed to have dropped a bit compared to 2011-2012.

What do the seasoned collectors think? Is vintage MOTU on an upward or downward trajectory?

Thanks guys!

Turk
    As most know, I'm not a toy collector, but I do a lot of acquisitions and investments so I'll weigh in.

If you're looking at it from the point of investment potential, the overriding principle is supply and demand. With regard to true vintage MOTU figures, there is a finite number of them in the universe. The higher the interest in them, the more they are acquired, the lower number of them there are available and the higher the price for those remaining goes.

Despite the fact that there may be some protests from loyal MOTU fans, interest in the franchise is relatively low at this point in time -- witness Power-Con being canned recently. That said, Power-Con is now coming back. What I believe is happening on the part of its savvy promoters is that they realize the MOTU film is a possibility. If that happens then interest in the franchise will rise and their wonderful convention will be in the cat-bird seat. Clever, these guys.

Similarly, if the film happens then interest in collecting will rise as well and once again the amount of product in the market place will diminish, prices rising because of supply and demand.

Bottom line? If you're an investor who likes to take chances then imo this is a good time to acquire as much MOTU product as you can, buy a major motion picture studio and greenlight DeVon Franklin's MOTU film project. If you're just a collector it's a good time to acquire while prices are low.

Court Magician
    Thanks a lot for the thoughtful response. You did answer my main question as to whether this was a hot or a cold time for MOTU, and you confirmed what I thought...that prices in general are down.

Certainly if the movie happens things will heat up again.

I also believe that high-end/rare/high-demand items will always weather market fluctuations - this has proven to be the case in most of the other vintage hobbies I like to collect.

WHen I got back into collecting MOTU in 2011-2012, prices for most carded figures were higher than what they are now, except for the most desirable (8 backs and such), and rare foreign variants and gift sets.

One of the lines I was really into back then were Yugo bootlegs, and those seem to have taken a serious nose-dive in price. Back then you couldn't find a single piece for less than $100 it seemed, now selling one for $30-$40 seems like a bit of a stretch.

Any other opinions are appreciated, thanks guys,

Turk

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by turkdlit View Post
    Thanks a lot for the thoughtful response. You did answer my main question as to whether this was a hot or a cold time for MOTU, and you confirmed what I thought...that prices in general are down.

Certainly if the movie happens things will heat up again.

I also believe that high-end/rare/high-demand items will always weather market fluctuations - this has proven to be the case in most of the other vintage hobbies I like to collect.

WHen I got back into collecting MOTU in 2011-2012, prices for most carded figures were higher than what they are now, except for the most desirable (8 backs and such), and rare foreign variants and gift sets.

One of the lines I was really into back then were Yugo bootlegs, and those seem to have taken a serious nose-dive in price. Back then you couldn't find a single piece for less than $100 it seemed, now selling one for $30-$40 seems like a bit of a stretch.

Any other opinions are appreciated, thanks guys,

Turk

I'll add that, as in all areas of collecting, rarity and condition define price. Pristine quality Wonder Bread He-man? Yikes!

So if you're looking at it as an investment always purchase the best quality and rarest product you can afford.

Heroic Warrior
    When I see threads like this I honestly cringe a little bit when I see threads like this. eek! Hope it's not to late for you since we're so late in the line.

so my answer would be it's more of hurry before it's to late because the figures won't stay unsold for long. once they're gone they're gone.

What I would do first is scour each and every thread in the market place. find someone or someones who can help you out.

Then hit up mattycollector dot com (due to rules I can't post a hyperlink). Yes. there's DR and matty horror stories but you don't have much choice but to deal with them if you want figures.

then hit up the internet. i.e. amazon, other toy sites and etc........

last but not least e-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    When I see threads like this I honestly cringe a little bit when I see threads like this. eek! Hope it's not to late for you since we're so late in the line.

so my answer would be it's more of hurry before it's to late because the figures won't stay unsold for long. once they're gone they're gone.

What I would do first is scour each and every thread in the market place. find someone or someones who can help you out.

Then hit up mattycollector dot com (due to rules I can't post a hyperlink). Yes. there's DR and matty horror stories but you don't have much choice but to deal with them if you want figures.

then hit up the internet. i.e. amazon, other toy sites and etc........

last but not least e-bay.
    You've always been able to link to Mattycollector, and now can link to other sale sites as long as you aren't pimping your own business and it is for discussion purposes.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior
    um. Ok. I didn't know that.

I know that now. And knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    You've always been able to link to Mattycollector, and now can link to other sale sites as long as you aren't pimping your own business and it is for discussion purposes.

It's ALWAYS a great time for vintage MOTU

That said, I think it is. If only because with MOTUC winding down, no current toon,
    or news of any mass market (ie: affordable ) line coming out interest is down.

However, even in a lull, we're getting to a point where the most die hard fans have
    complete, or near complete collections, and have no intention of parting with them.
    Factor in the fact that all of the toys that would ever be made were made, and even
    loose figures missing accessories, become harder to come by.

If you want to get into the original MOTU toys at this stage, I would highly recommend
    collecting loose. You can still afford them (Loose MOTU seem to go for $1-$5 depending on condition),
    and they haven't gotten to the point where they're impossible to find yet.

If you want to buy MOC then good luck. A lot of them in ANY condition are $25 MINIMUM.
    Once you start finding minty fresh cards, with no discoloration even the most common characters
    get over $100 easy. I have exactly ONE vintage MOC figure, a Thunder Punch He-Man I got at a mall trade show
    back in 1999. The card isn't in the best shape, but I think I still dropped $20 on it then. Now? A quick look on ebay
    says I can sell that for around $100 if I had to. A good card would have piled on another $50.

Even the COMMEMORATIVE line is pretty high in the MOC market. I spent $40 at ConnectiCon on a Commemorative
    Battle Armor He-Man MOC, and that was a deal. $50 minimum online.

If you have the money, and means to afford MOC collecting, more power to you. But if you can't drop $100+ on a
    figure I would highly recommend you buy them loose except in times when you find a really sweet MOC deal.

Good luck!
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

I wish I had known about the MOYU classic range when it started but I only came back into He Man in the past two years or so. And I don't have the money for £300 Shadow weavers.
    So What I've been doing is collecting the originals on ebay. I have most of them now.
    It's a shame they never did a Marlena , Shadow weaver or Imp figure though.

Loose/complete MOTU figures are very cheap. MOTU is never going to be like Star Wars vintage collecting, even if a new movie does come along - now's a good a time as any to jump in.
    "There's only one of you...only one of anybody." - Gwildor

There are now more collectors than (say) 6 years ago. Boxed and carded stuff is getting more expensive and scarce, and with a movie in the works i figure prices can only go up.

I think US MOCS are quite easy and pricewise the cheapest. Of course it gets harder with 8-Backs and it depends on the condition. If you are after European Double Logo MOCS or other rare variants like Spanish MOCS it is not that easy. But basically all you need is patience, some extra money and good connections to fellow collectors...and of course luck.

It's definitely not a bad time to get in to it again. I would agree- I think, on items that aren't super-rare, prices are down slightly from what they were a few years ago. I wouldn't say that vintage MOTU is on a downward trajectory, maybe a plateau. If they do put out a good-quality live action film, there will definitely be an upswing, but, at the very least, I think MOTU is just too classic for demand to ever get extremely low, at least in the next couple of decades.
    "I am The Mad Bubbler... breathe in the vapors of my madness!"

Widget
    If you like and enjoy the line, then collect. Who cares if they are hot or cold. It's all about what you want to collect. Big difference between collecting and investing.