Thread: Are Some Horde Troopers Actually Human?

Are Some Horde Troopers Actually Human?

Horde Troopers are an interesting and unique element to the POP series. While they're mass produced by the thousands, and some made so flimsy that a fall will break them, they seem to exhibit a lot of humanistic traits. There are some subtle variations in their voices, they've been shown in the Laughing Swan Inn with drinks and pies, they seem to have a sense of humor, engage in casual conversations amongst themselves, exhibit fear, and those in the outskirts of Horde territory were actually bored of patrolling nothing. Don't they just seem too human sometimes?

Considering that all Horde Officers, like Sunder, Adora, her friend Loni, Catra, Octavia, Scorpia, Mantenna, Leech, Shadow Weaver, Modulok, and Scurvy, are all living beings...Could it be possible that some Horde Troopers are actually humans in armor? In a couple of episodes, members of the Rebellion even dressed up in Trooper armor to deceive the Horde. That wouldn't be feasible if there were robotic components inside.

What do you think?

I always thought that the Horde Troopers were comprised of two different types of soldiers: living beings and robotic creatures. I forget which mini comic it was (Extendar? Dragstor?) where Hordak turns a guy into a robot, but I always figured that was were the human Troopers came from.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Hey, you're right! I checked the mini-comics archive and found this from "The Warrior Machine", which was packed with Extendar and Dragstor...

hordak-minicomic.jpg

If this is how Horde Troopers are made (I thought it was all those Etherian tax dollars at work, heheh!), then it's pretty gruesome and Hordak is more twisted than I thought!

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    i think the higher officers are human, but the lower ranks are all robots... i also think that the episode where they're at the laughing swan was one of the first eps ever, and they didn't know yet if they wanted them to be human or not.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Snappy Threader
    I always thought they were human becasue of the cartoon where He-Man disquised himself as a Horde Trooper, but then the toy came out and it was robotic...so I never really knew.

Heroic Warrior
    In the first episode of She-ra, didn't one of the Horde troopers call the other horde trooper Mark?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    The way I look at it, after some research on books, mini-comics and the cartoon-storyboard is that originally Horde Troopers
    were depicted as humans in armor. But as the series went on and there was need for She-Ra to bash her enemies, they became robots
    so the heroine wouldn't be seeing hurting other human-beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtonnut View Post
    In the first episode of She-ra, didn't one of the Horde troopers call the other horde trooper Mark?
    I think the name was Marg.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry audio was kinda off.

Horde Troopers... Armored Men, or Robots?

The action figures are pretty clearly meant to be robots. I don't think there is much room for debate there.
    The cartoon troopers though:
    - They had personalities
    - Shouted things like "Ow"
    - Let Bow, dressed like a magician, hang around to "entertain" them.
    - Showed surprise
    - Had musical taste
    - Complained
    - Responded to punishment
    - Ordered drinks in a tavern (I think that happened anyway)

Yet they also:
    - Rusted when rained on, and were dumped back in the Fright Zone
    - Occasionally exploded when damaged enough
    - Broke apart and sparked when broken

Their armor was also occasionally used as a disguise by the Rebellion. Which is guess could go either way but seems more likely to mean they are people in armor. Hollowing out a robot and climbing inside would be a real chore.

I guess they could just be REMARKABLY (and in many ways, unnecessarily) advanced robots, but you would think they would be smarter, better shots, and generally more competent then.
    Last edited by JonLemerond; June 2, 2017 at 06:59am.

The Filmation Troopers were clearly a mix of robots and creatures in costumes. After all, He-Man stole the "armor" from one and wore it. Hard to do that if its not a helmet and suit.

Eatock's books talk about this. During most of the first season, the Troopers are treated like creatures in suits (She-Ra and He-Man go out of their way to not destroy them). Occasionally a robot-themed episode would be mixed in.

By the second season, apparently realizing this problem, the scripts go out of the way to make sure everyone knows every trooper is a robot. He criticizes this in the Filmation guide's intro to She-Ra's second season.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Widget
    Might be an in-universe development over the span of the cartoon. At first, many Horde Trooper were living beings in armor, but over time, they were replaced with robots because ... technological progress made the robots cheaper to produce? Soldiers conscripted on Etheria deserted en mass and joined the rebellion? Something.

They're robots, it's just a case of quality control, or lack thereof I should say, a bit of a problem when you're trying to bash out an episode as quick as you can. It's the same with the troopers and water, one ep splashing a trooper with water and it would short out or rust, another it might just complain about being wet. Also the sneezing powder issue as well..
    there's a lot of inconsistencies, I'll just put it like that!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    They're robots, it's just a case of quality control, or lack thereof I should say, a bit of a problem when you're trying to bash out an episode as quick as you can.
    Except we have known for a while that there were actual plans to use different races/species in the armor. So its a case of the ideas evolving, not "bash episode out quick as you can" thing. A lot of effort and time went into the cartoon, heck Hordak went through tens of different designs.

there's a lot of inconsistencies, I'll just put it like that!
    Inconsistencies happen for sure. There were many different writers so they propably also had slight different approaches to the Troopers, given any scene.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!