Thread: Frazetta and He-Man

Frazetta and He-Man

Ok,
    This is maybe a silly question. But I was wondering; since early box-art and design from the MOTU line were very close to the work of Fantasy painter Frank Frazetta, did he actually did some work on some MOTU products, may it be box art, calendar, books, ad or else?

Just curious!
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Nope! Frazetta never did anything regarding MOTU in any shape or form.

You have to remember that MOTU come out at a time where that kind of art and genre was hugely popular. MOTU owes alot to artists like Frazetta and Boris Vallejo though and I'm sure Mark Taylor or Roger Sweet were influenced by art such as this.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy
    Nope! Frazetta never did anything regarding MOTU in any shape or form.

You have to remember that MOTU come out at a time where that kind of art and genre was hugely popular. MOTU owes alot to artists like Frazetta and Boris Vallejo though and I'm sure Mark Taylor or Roger Sweet were influenced by art such as this.
    Many thanks Pig Boy,
    Indeed they're was many Frazetta-style artwork around in those day, thus my first question.
    Frazetta also quite influenced the visual of Conan the barbarian, which in part played a part in the concept of MOTU. How big is this part is still debatable, do!
    In any case, I think it's safe to asume that some of the visuals from MOTU have been inspired by Frazetta work.

I always found that the Teela action figure body was quite reminiscent for Frazetta's voluptuous female, leggy with big hips and all... But again that can be just a coincidence and just a shape that the toy designer found attractive (and me seeing things)!
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Frazetta pretty much invented the Conan we know and love today. Up until 1966, Conan was not the lion cloth, long haired fellow we see today.

So yeah, it would be fair to say that without Frazetta, we would not have He-man looking the way he does!

As for Teela. Well Frazetta woman are short in stature so I dunno if there is much of a direct influence there.
    Look at the woman of the late 70's early 80's. They were very tall with hips til sunday!
    Col. Wilma Derring, Daisy Duke, Wonder Woman, Princess Aura, all have a similar shape so I would imagine that Teela was more influneced by what was in style!

Just be thankful Teela wasn't designed in the 90's!
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy
    Just be thankful Teela wasn't designed in the 90's!
    Amen ta that!

Hah! I Read the Roger Sweet book when I'm saving stuff on my Mac and here ya have it:

"While browsing in a bookstore, I had come across an assortment of paperbacks with covers by the great Frank Frazetta. His work had a powerful dark, swarthy barbarian quality, with muscular men wearing helmets and swinging broadswords and uncredibly nubile women"!

If there's any more titbits liek this I'll post em!

"nuble"! that's a new one!
    www.eamonart.com

I think in the "Mastering the Universe"-book Sweet somewhere mentions that he got the idea for a barbarian/fantasy-toyline (what later became MotU) because he too liked Frazetta's art.

EDIT: okay i just realized that has already been said above
    ..:: it rubs the lotion on its skin ::..

THESE COLLECTORS ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO DEAL WITH:

Kaleb1974 (5x) ~ Peter (3x) ~ JOAH-MAN (1x) ~ TIRPITZ (8x) ~ rougewelder (1x) ~ Facelessone (12x) ~ King-ironic (1x) ~ boggs32 (2x) ~ onthoofder ~ ess7477 (1x) ~ Sl@yer (8x) ~ 2-packs (7x) ~ Arkangel (2x) ~ PIOSOL (3x) ~ pyrelus (1x) ~ Scare_Glower (1x) ~ mondo (1x) ... Thanks guys!!! :-)

Having personally spoken with Roger Sweet on countless occassions this past year I can assure you that Frazetta did play a role in the look and feel of MOTU. As part of the prep work for Mastering The Universe, Roger wrote 3 seperate manuscripts. The first manuscript details the history of boys toys and how the paintings and drawings of artists such as Frazetta helped create the motivation for a barbarian themed toy line.

Some of you should really get into the habit of reading posts before you post!
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior
    Yup Farzetta was an influence to the figures/franchise even a bit of Star Wars thrown in as originally they were gonna do Conan toys but did something original.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Pretty old Thread,lol. As we now know Mark Taylor told Rudy Obrero explicit to do the Boxarts like Frazetta.

Also the resemblance from Tony Guerrero´s Teela wax sculpt to Frazetta´s woman, is obvious.
    guerrero Kopie.jpg
    1016402_208639059341822_328033513_n.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    It was the other way around for me . The Motu box arts are what made me seek out and appreciate Frazetta .
    I never knew it at the time but as a kiddy i surrounded myself with Frazetta influenced media .

This is exactly how the perfect HE-MAN movie would be to me: Hand drawn animation in the style of FRAZETTA and VALLEJO paintings. Thick thighed women galore!
    Odd Man Out