Thread: Alcala mini-comics originals

Alcala mini-comics originals

I faintly remember Mattel displaying some mini-comic originals at one of the Comic Cons, was it Alcala ones? Are all the original Alcala ones preserved in Mattel vaults or what is their fate?

Is it known what techniques Alcala used to make the mini-comics, and what is their original size?

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I faintly remember Mattel displaying some mini-comic originals at one of the Comic Cons, was it Alcala ones? Are all the original Alcala ones preserved in Mattel vaults or what is their fate?

Is it known what techniques Alcala used to make the mini-comics, and what is their original size?
    Answering your questions in the order you made it
    A: as far as I remember, Mattel never displayed any minicomic art at comic con.
    B: unfortunately not, Mattel didn't preservere any of the originals. Most of them went to the artists and some to collectors later on. For example I own a page from King of Castle Grayskull and the entire The Fastest Drawn in the Universe.
    C: Alcala just used ink on paper, like regular comic, and colored with watercolors or inks on photocopies or on paper with an acetate layer with the lineart photocopied on top.
    D: for the early one by Alcala, I'd have to check mine which is currently stored away. They were pretty small though definitely not Comic Book size.
    I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post

D: for the early one by Alcala, I'd have to check mine which is currently stored away. They were pretty small though definitely not Comic Book size.
    I hope this helps!
    Thank you very much Emiliano.

Argh, I just remember they had some original art on display when the artbook was released. I was not at the comic con, so I might be mistaken that some of the art was from minicomic. Unfortunately I have not relocated the photos of the display.

Do I understand correctly that you have Alcala original stored away?! If you do, any chance to scan it, to see his inkwork for Masters better?

Original mini-comics were really important part what made the Masters exciting early on, they just had unique feeling to them.

Do I understand correctly that you have Alcala original stored away?! If you do, any chance to scan it, to see his inkwork for Masters better?
    I'm sure he will share it at some great venue.

And I remember that member Sallah also had some original Alcala art, that he showed on his blog [though I can't find a direct link currently].

Is that from mini-comic (looks identical), why I hesitate is, I understood colours were done over the inks? Granted, I am not expert how they did it back then, but it has 1999 also on it?

I faintly remember someone speaking of buying DC originals from Alcala comic, but I thought it was Bustatoons. Would love to see those in detail too.

Is that from mini-comic (looks identical), why I hesitate is, I understood colours were done over the inks? Granted, I am not expert how they did it back then, but it has 1999 also on it?

I faintly remember someone speaking of buying DC originals from Alcala comic, but I thought it was Bustatoons. Would love to see those in detail too.
    Colors aren't usually done over inks... And that art is probably dated from 1999 because that's when Alcala signed it, not when it was first drawn.

Busta does have a lot of DC art (or at least he did at one point). Those are actually pencilled by George Tuska though, with Alcala providing inks.

Sallah

Interesting.. if I may ask Sallah, was Jukka correct of you having Alcala art?

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I'm sure he will share it at some great venue.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...4&d=1292661212

And I remember that member Sallah also had some original Alcala art, that he showed on his blog [though I can't find a direct link currently].
    Woah... for some reason I never noticed how weird Grayskull was drawn. Like it fell out of Looney Tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Woah... for some reason I never noticed how weird Grayskull was drawn. Like it fell out of Looney Tunes.
    Looney Tunes(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes)? That castle? Whaat? I have to respectfully disagree. I see no connection in style. You have to open up that sentence a bit more, for me to understand.

I this image qualifies as Alcala mini-comic art... or perhaps mini-comic book art? Still, it's cool to have the opportunity to see something like this. We rarely see Alcala art surface.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Interesting, where was this found from?

Unfortunately definitely not his best work (rushed?), especially Beastman has quite wonky anatomy going on. Still pretty rare to see any Alcala He-man related originals.

From a private collector. It's apparently the first inks that were used for approvals. Then he did the final afterwards that he painted underneath.