Thread: You, your kids and He-man

Master of New Adventures!

You, your kids and He-man

A funny -- or maybe not-so-funny -- thing happened to me a few months ago at Office Max. While the young man behind the counter was taking care of my print job, he mentioned seeing an article in the newspaper about me. Once in a while the local paper does an article about me when I've got something new going on. He said he was impressed with all the shows I've written for. So I asked him about a few of them and when I got to my work on NA, I casually asked if he'd ever watched any He-man shows. He answered, "No. Not really. But I think my old man liked them." YOUCH!!!

Anyway, it got me thinking. Most orgers are so jazzed by MOTU that they make it sound like the series is still alive and going strong. How wonderful! But for orgers with kids it's a different story because those children weren't there when the series was airing regularly. Hearing mom and dad talk about He-man, checking out their parents' collection or occasionally seeing an episode on a DVD is probably their only exposure.

So what do your kids think about He-man? Is it, for them, just an ancient series, do they think it's old news or do they think it's something cool from the past and something special they can share with their mom or dad? And do you do anything to perpetuate the line for them -- get them down on the floor to play with them the figs and playsets, binge watch old episodes, talk about the series to keep it alive?

It's great that orgers have done so much to keep MOTU going. But to my way of thinking one thing that could help jump start it is if we can create a new generation of fans and make Mattel aware of that. You could think your children and a few others won't make a difference, but everything starts with the first step.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 16, 2015 at 11:19am.

Heroic Warrior
    I have three kids. Mine are 4, 7 and 9, and they all love He-Man. If I hadn't started collecting the figures and watching the old cartoons my kids would have never been exposed. My oldest son is just now getting into the comics.

Had I not ever showed them any of this they would have never known. We have watched the MOTU movie together at least 5 times now. They love all of it!

This was all my doing of course. No thanks here to mainstream pop culture or Mattel. When we seen the quick cameo in Chappie, my son was the only kid in the theater that actually picked up the reference (he actually cheered for He-Man on the big screen).

I love that my family can enjoy the brand as much as I do, but I do wish it would go a little mainstream for the rest of the world to jump on. The kids that are in school with my kids have NO knowledge of MOTU. A new movie would fix that problem (shirts, hats, new toys, etc. that come along with updated branding.

I hope that it happens one day. Until then, my family and I are more than happy to stay tight in the niche which is MOTU.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by boss1017 View Post
    I have three kids. Mine are 4, 7 and 9, and they all love He-Man. If I hadn't started collecting the figures and watching the old cartoons my kids would have never been exposed. My oldest son is just now getting into the comics.

Had I not ever showed them any of this they would have never known. We have watched the MOTU movie together at least 5 times now. They love all of it!

This was all my doing of course. No thanks here to mainstream pop culture or Mattel. When we seen the quick cameo in Chappie, my son was the only kid in the theater that actually picked up the reference (he actually cheered for He-Man on the big screen).

I love that my family can enjoy the brand as much as I do, but I do wish it would go a little mainstream for the rest of the world to jump on. The kids that are in school with my kids have NO knowledge of MOTU. A new movie would fix that problem (shirts, hats, new toys, etc. that come along with updated branding.

I hope that it happens one day. Until then, my family and I are more than happy to stay tight in the niche which is MOTU.
    Way to go, boss1017! When the day comes that a new generation loves He-man, Mattel should compose and sing songs about you and erect a bronze statue of you in front of their corporate offices.

Btw, if anyone is wondering why I'm posting when I said I'd only be here briefly for holidays, today is my son's sixteenth birthday. Seems like only yesterday I was diapering him and now we're talking about the principles of Texas Hold 'em Poker. Off video game shopping for him today.

I have been with this line from the start. I have four children, and have exposed them to the toys and cartoons. When the 200X line came out, I bought them for my two older sons (yeah right!), and we played with them quite a bit, and watched the toon when it aired. They have outgrown it a little, but I have a 5 year old boy that loves the MOTUC line, and we play together sometimes. My daughter likes POP, so she watches that series once in a while. On our family movie nights, we get to pick something to watch. Once in a while I pick the MOTU movie, or one of the cartoon series and watch a couple episodes.

So I have been planting that seed!

By the way, I have been enjoying the NA series very much. I was only able to watch a few episodes when it aired. I haven't got all the way through it, but I will hopefully soon. I feel it is a very underrated cartoon!

Take Care
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

My 2 girls (6 and 3) love both MOTU and POP; on MOTU, the Evil Seed and Shokoti episodes are their favorites. They love playing with our extensive collection! We had a She-Ra birthday party for my older one last year (complete with homemade Loo-Kee pinata, so fun to watch THAT explode!) and the kids got really into it. Also, the older one has been the Sorceress, Catra, and She-ra for the last 3 Halloweens - getting mad props from all the adults who remember the series. All the little girls who come over love playing with the collection, too...wish Mattel would do a reboot like Hasbro did for My Little Pony.

My son has a small collection of vintage figures. We end up playing with them a few times a month. He was really interested in He-Man from age 3-4. He's been less interested the last year or so (he was more interested in the various Lego properties, TMNT, and now Minecraft), but has renewed interest recently. He likes the Filmation cartoon, we've watched probably half of them together.

He does like MOTU, but it's not as self sustaining because none of his friends are into it. I love it when he's more into it because I get a chance to play with the old toys. Way more fun than just looking at the collection.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

As I don't have any little trotters of my own, I can't answer this question, but I do have a niece that I will show at some point, she already borrows other shows from me... Scooby-Doo is fave at the mo, so I'll slip in a He-Man DVD and see what she thinks! She-Ra afterwards of course

Widget
    I got back into MOTU this year in April as my son was turning 6 and that's the age I got introduced to it all. I think is the 'sweet spot' age because he's totally nutso about all things MOTU. I got a couple of bulk lots of vintage figures pretty cheap off ebay and it's re-ignited the passion for me. I only had a small collection of the core characters from wave 1 + 2 but now I'm hooked on collecting as many as my budget allows.
    I let him buy a new figure each week for 3 bucks plus he has to finish his weekend chores. I've never seen the house cleaner! He (and my 8yr old daughter) are totally hooked on the filmation cartoon too. we have the box set and are making our way through it regularly (saturday morning ritual). We're also doing a custom refurb (paint job/accessories) on our Castle Grayskull which we're all loving. He really wants a MOTU tee shirt but do you think i've been able to find any in kids sizes!? I think the 'Universe' is so well developed as is, it would be easy to reintroduce to a younger (and wider) audience especially off the back of a movie (yeah right... I won't hold my breath)

Heroic Warrior
    I have tried introducing my 13 year old son to MOTU a number of times through both the Vintage and 200x series, but he never took to it. He was always more into the DCverse.

Having said that, he does understand my passion for the lines(s) and today he did the most awesome thing. He spent his entire monthly allowance, which he gets for doing chores around the house and garden, on the Fighting Foe Men that he found in a local comic book shop. He had heard me whining about the secondary market price of the 3-pack and how I wanted them to get up to date on the Horde faction. Days like today make me feel very proud that at that age he is willing to make the sacrifice to help me with what I love doing.

Next month he gets double

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    I have tried introducing my 13 year old son to MOTU a number of times through both the Vintage and 200x series, but he never took to it. He was always more into the DCverse.

Having said that, he does understand my passion for the lines(s) and today he did the most awesome thing. He spent his entire monthly allowance, which he gets for doing chores around the house and garden, on the Fighting Foe Men that he found in a local comic book shop. He had heard me whining about the secondary market price of the 3-pack and how I wanted them to get up to date on the Horde faction. Days like today make me feel very proud that at that age he is willing to make the sacrifice to help me with what I love doing.

Next month he gets double
    Kudos to your son for his thoughtfulness. But also to you. Things like that happen because of good parenting, being a positive role model and someone to look up to. Congrats on being a great dad.

My ten year old loves He-man. Two years ago he had a He-man themed party and I had to hunt down the stuff. It was not an easy task but we did it! Even found cake toppers that had never been opened so we could do a legit cake. But its my passion and influence that drove hom. It was home movies of my childhood filled with He-man and star wars that made him want the toys. My dvds that made him love the show, ect. I have since influenced my niece and nephew and its spread to their friends too. Btw... Aiden likes "space He-man" too.

This thread makes me happy, Jack!

Well, I have been a huge fan of MOTU all my life, so when I discovered I'd be having my own "twins of power" (2 girls, now 6 and a half), I knew I'd be "bringing them up right" with He-Man and She-Ra! Heck... my one daughter is even named Teela! From the very beginning, I'd wrap them in He-Man blankets and even created them some MOTU onesies using fabric markers (I think I'd posted pics on here of the battle-armor ones)... From the age that they could be propped up on the couch to see, I began sharing the Filmation cartoons with them, and also reading the Golden books to them. (I'll never forget the first time Teela heard He-Man on the cartoon say her name, and she sat up excited with a huge grin!) I got them an assortment of vintage toys as soon as they were old enough to play with them (around 2?) I should note that the Classics He-man and Beast Man figures went on sale the day my wife went into the hospital to deliver them (almost 2 months early), and the figures arrived in the mail while she and they were still in the hospital, and that is where I opened them! From the onset, I was purchasing a second of everything to give to them, and Gygor was their first Classics toy (we started with the "hardier" beasts) when they were around 3 and a half. Since then, they've caught up with the figures I'd socked away, and have been enjoying getting the new ones with me each month. Their first ever live-action movie was the 1987 MOTU film, which we've watched dozens of times, and to this day they both still claim it as their favorite movie. For a long while, we'd try to watch some cartoon nearly every night before bed (Filmation He-Man or She-Ra, MYP, or NA... yes Jack, they accept and enjoy NA too!), and we still routinely read Golden books, or mini comics, etc before bed. IN school they've both more than once indicated their "favorite thing" as "playing He-Man toys with daddy" And they have both even MADE me their own original He-Man character toy creations (out of clay) for holidays! (I know I posted Teela's first, Dino-Man, on here.) They also began 2 years ago each making me a poster-sized "battle scene" for my birthday, and we've all accepted that this is what (and only what) I wish to receive from them, every year on my birthday! (for life!)... looking forward to this year's coming up in a month, as their artistic skills just continue to grow! Last year for Halloween they wanted to dress up as He-Man characters... so I made the costumes and Teela was Flutterina, and Kylie was the Sorceress (I posted pics of these, too.) Since the first DC comics mini-series we began making Daddy-Daughter dates of: going to the comic shop and buying the comic (2 copies... one for me and one for them), then going to Dairy Queen and having ice cream, and upon finishing, huddling together in the booth where we'd read the issue together. (Please don't judge this... I recognize the content can at times be a bit "adult", and my wife is a bit leary too, but they've always had a healthy outlook on various things, and we always discuss at a level that can work for them to understand.) When they got their bunk beds and redecorated their room, they chose to want wall stickers of He-Man characters, and they have framed signed pictures of Jack and Leslie Wadsworth as He-man and She-Ra, Movie Skeletor and Sorceress; She-Ra, Catra, Shokoti, and Mermista all by Nate on their walls... I also got them vintage He-man, and She-Ra, sheet sets! They love coming down and checking out daddy's collection in the basement, and that's a special place for a treat of playing He-Man stories (including my original vehicles and even Eternia playset), or playing one of the various vintage MOTU board games we share, or even from time to time having daddy-daughter sleepovers! It's also where the bouncing ride-on (hobby horse) Battle Cat I got for them when they were two is!

so, yeah, I guess you could say that the world of MOTU has resonated with my kids... maybe even moreso than it did with me as a child, if that's possible. And, most importantly, it has provided us with a strong joint interest to bond over during their formative years, with multiple facets of interaction and shared experiences. It's been my absolute favorite aspect of my own fandom of this property by far, in sharing it with them! I hope it will leave them with fond lifelong memories, if not a permeating interest in the brand as well.

This post is precious beyond measure, kevin. The part about your daughter's reaction when she heard He-man say "Teela" is wonderful.

While it was not the purpose of this thread, I'm delighted to hear they enjoy NA.

That this thread make you "happy" makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    This thread makes me happy, Jack!

Well, I have been a huge fan of MOTU all my life, so when I discovered I'd be having my own "twins of power" (2 girls, now 6 and a half), I knew I'd be "bringing them up right" with He-Man and She-Ra! Heck... my one daughter is even named Teela! From the very beginning, I'd wrap them in He-Man blankets and even created them some MOTU onesies using fabric markers (I think I'd posted pics on here of the battle-armor ones)... From the age that they could be propped up on the couch to see, I began sharing the Filmation cartoons with them, and also reading the Golden books to them. (I'll never forget the first time Teela heard He-Man on the cartoon say her name, and she sat up excited with a huge grin!) I got them an assortment of vintage toys as soon as they were old enough to play with them (around 2?) I should note that the Classics He-man and Beast Man figures went on sale the day my wife went into the hospital to deliver them (almost 2 months early), and the figures arrived in the mail while she and they were still in the hospital, and that is where I opened them! From the onset, I was purchasing a second of everything to give to them, and Gygor was their first Classics toy (we started with the "hardier" beasts) when they were around 3 and a half. Since then, they've caught up with the figures I'd socked away, and have been enjoying getting the new ones with me each month. Their first ever live-action movie was the 1987 MOTU film, which we've watched dozens of times, and to this day they both still claim it as their favorite movie. For a long while, we'd try to watch some cartoon nearly every night before bed (Filmation He-Man or She-Ra, MYP, or NA... yes Jack, they accept and enjoy NA too!), and we still routinely read Golden books, or mini comics, etc before bed. IN school they've both more than once indicated their "favorite thing" as "playing He-Man toys with daddy" And they have both even MADE me their own original He-Man character toy creations (out of clay) for holidays! (I know I posted Teela's first, Dino-Man, on here.) They also began 2 years ago each making me a poster-sized "battle scene" for my birthday, and we've all accepted that this is what (and only what) I wish to receive from them, every year on my birthday! (for life!)... looking forward to this year's coming up in a month, as their artistic skills just continue to grow! Last year for Halloween they wanted to dress up as He-Man characters... so I made the costumes and Teela was Flutterina, and Kylie was the Sorceress (I posted pics of these, too.) Since the first DC comics mini-series we began making Daddy-Daughter dates of: going to the comic shop and buying the comic (2 copies... one for me and one for them), then going to Dairy Queen and having ice cream, and upon finishing, huddling together in the booth where we'd read the issue together. (Please don't judge this... I recognize the content can at times be a bit "adult", and my wife is a bit leary too, but they've always had a healthy outlook on various things, and we always discuss at a level that can work for them to understand.) When they got their bunk beds and redecorated their room, they chose to want wall stickers of He-Man characters, and they have framed signed pictures of Jack and Leslie Wadsworth as He-man and She-Ra, Movie Skeletor and Sorceress; She-Ra, Catra, Shokoti, and Mermista all by Nate on their walls... I also got them vintage He-man, and She-Ra, sheet sets! They love coming down and checking out daddy's collection in the basement, and that's a special place for a treat of playing He-Man stories (including my original vehicles and even Eternia playset), or playing one of the various vintage MOTU board games we share, or even from time to time having daddy-daughter sleepovers! It's also where the bouncing ride-on (hobby horse) Battle Cat I got for them when they were two is!

so, yeah, I guess you could say that the world of MOTU has resonated with my kids... maybe even moreso than it did with me as a child, if that's possible. And, most importantly, it has provided us with a strong joint interest to bond over during their formative years, with multiple facets of interaction and shared experiences. It's been my absolute favorite aspect of my own fandom of this property by far, in sharing it with them! I hope it will leave them with fond lifelong memories, if not a permeating interest in the brand as well.

Heroic Warrior
    My daughter (now 6-1/2) never really took to dolls. But Batman, TMNT, and MotU for her. Here is her 200x toys in an epic battle..

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Daughter became a fan of She-ra when she was about 3 (thanks to Netflix) we got her the comlpete series on DVD and she even dressed up as She-ra for Halloween. Sadly she had cooled on it over the last couple of years.... until this weekend. My son (5) showed his first spark of interest in He-man (thanks to youtube) and they both spent about 2 hours tonight watching the He-man and She-Ra crossover episodes and were both loving it. It does an old mans heart good to see his kids enjoying something that was such a big part of his childhood.
    Thanks filmation

Might have to track down a MOTUC He-man, Battle Cat and Skeletor for the boy.
    Last edited by Snow Knight; July 22, 2015 at 10:52pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Knight View Post
    My Daughter became a fan of She-ra when she was about 3 (thanks to Netflix) we got her the comlpete series on DVD and she even dressed up as She-ra for Halloween. Sadly she had cooled on it over the last couple of years.... until this weekend. My son (5) showed his first spark of interest in He-man (thanks to youtube) and they both spent about 2 hours tonight watching the He-man and She-Ra crossover episodes and were both loving it. It does an old mans heart good to see his kids enjoying something that was such a big part of his childhood.
    Thanks filmation

Might have to track down a MOTUC He-man, Battle Cat and Skeletor for the boy.
    Cool! And congrats on passing the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    My kids, I have 4 (B-19,G-23, B27, B28) and they all think it's crazy, but one of my 3 Grand-daughters loves She-Ra, she's 7.
    Grandchildren are parents' revenge.

I'm basically the new cat around here, I started with Filmation He-Man as a kid, watching it on weekend morning cartoon, My life is based on sound and music but less of a visual stuff. I definitely happy that I got The Filmation Soundtrack this year, I shared my MOTU addiction with my streaming friends and heard a lot of "horror" stories on how they lost their collection as a kid. For visually? I not much of a TV guy anymore but I do collect comics. I shared the latest comic with one of my close friends.

As for newer line like 2008 and more? I would rather have a children and have their own generation like this one, I doubt I will let 'em watch Filmation anymore because that was my time, For HIM soon? it's his generation going to join this collection.
    Last edited by Fendi; July 23, 2015 at 04:48pm.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

I don't have any kids yet, but fatherhood is on the horizon in the next few years. I co-own/run a collectible toy store, and I have to say, one thing I've noticed (that makes me very happy) is that it seems like a good amount of people who were born in the 1980s and late 1970s are showing their kids the cartoons that they loved as children (with DVDs, YouTube, etc., it's fairly easy). It always makes me happy when parents come in looking for inexpensive MOTU figures for their kids, and it makes me doubly-happy to see kids overjoyed at getting figures of characters that I loved as a kid.
    "I am The Mad Bubbler... breathe in the vapors of my madness!"