Thread: I'm trying to give New Adventures a chance

I'm trying to give New Adventures a chance

I am breaking down and watching New Adventure from start to finish. I'll be 40 this November and seen every He-man and She-Ra cartoon ever created except for New Adventure. Maybe if I was younger I could have related to the over the top silliness and lack of the swords, magic, and animals that the original had when it originally aired. New Adventure even had two characters that remind me of the centurions(Ace McCloud and Max Ray). I'm trying my best to complete my MOTU knowledge.

Good luck my friend. I got up to episode 5 and had to quit abruptly because of incredible boredom. Never got the series as an older kid and still can't feel the love today at 32.
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you can do it. Some episodes are really hard to get through but just look at it as a different cartoon altogether. I feel ya on the centurions.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WALTOR View Post
    Maybe if I was younger I could have related to the over the top silliness and lack of the swords, magic, and animals that the original had when it originally aired.
    Are you kidding me? This version had no swords, no magic, and no animals?

??
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

It seemed to be more on the science side where the filmation cartoon was more of a sword & sorcery world. Both had magic both had swords both had animals both had science, but one used more of it than the other.

If you haven't gotten into NA by now chances are you won't. I was still into the original when NA came out-it has never interested me. I have zero nostalgic connections to NA other than the HeMan/Skeletor 2-pack I got for Xmas all those years ago. NA ends there for me. Good luck!
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

You are right Crash. It's good to see it as another story instead of a continuation. Thank you Minion for your comment, I am assuming you are a N/A fan.

I'm trying to give New Adventures a chance
    WHY???

I also tried...but couldn't wait the end of the first episode...
    I hate the animation style above everything. The figures aren't that bad... (except He-Man versions which look like the competition for the ugliest, where all 3 versions share the first place)...there are some awesome figures..like Sagitar/Tharcus, Optikk and Battle Blade Skeletor... But I can't stand the cartoon.

Heroic Warrior
    Good to hear- I've been pretty vocal about supporting and defending NA since arriving at the org, but I didn't start out that way- in fact, my first impression of NA, back in 1988 or so was pretty low!
    I don't know if this'll help, WALTOR, but the thing that hooked me was reading through all the NA mini-comics- I agree with many people about how the NA cartoon can be challenging to watch at times, but hey! I felt that way about the Filmation product from the very first time I watched it (with the exception of any scantily-clad females on the screen, I was always more into the mini-comics)...
    Happy viewing!
    I am breaking down and watching New Adventure from start to finish. I'll be 40 this November and seen every He-man and She-Ra cartoon ever created except for New Adventure. Maybe if I was younger I could have related to the over the top silliness and lack of the swords, magic, and animals that the original had when it originally aired. New Adventure even had two characters that remind me of the centurions(Ace McCloud and Max Ray). I'm trying my best to complete my MOTU knowledge.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I said before i was very disappointed when Adam left Eternia and everyone behind. This skinny action figure who came out and was called He-Man was no He-Man for me but in the cartoon he looks beefier and stronger and his action figures got more muscled again and i think the cartoon helped with that.

I see why some aspects of the cartoon are not to everyones liking. The scientists are the best example and Skeletors strange goofiness sometimes was weird but still they had continuity at least. They had character development and yes, they introduced me to Mara and i really like her character. Sagitar is another great addition but i have to admit one of my favorite episodes is the one were Teela makes a visit. Sure she doesīt look like Teela at all and her voice is NOT Linda Gary but her being there made it more MOTU for me.

The four mini comics are actually good but again a different story than the cartoon. But i have to say the final battle for Primus is quite exciting. Like FILMATION itīs aimed for children and it tries hard to be serious and funny at the same time and both together can get cheesy pretty easily and there are episodes who crossed the line and were just stupid but others were entertaining and exciting.

Give it a try it canīt hurt
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

You are right Crash. It's good to see it as another story instead of a continuation. Thank you Minion for your comment, I am assuming you are a N/A fan.
    Yeah man...it's the only way I could approach it. I really did start enjoying it though. A lot of things annoyed me and some episodes were just awful but I actually plan on doing it again soon.

I'm starting to get into the show now. I have to remember it's all about Mattel selling toys and having a whole new figure line helps. I guess they were going for the StarWars look. And I do like how Mattycollector has merged to to worlds together. The N/A figures that were released look pretty cool.

Master of New Adventures!
    If you're going to do it then having some background information on the series might help. This should do it. I wish parts of the interview could have been conducted and made available before the series started, but the state of the art was vastly different back then.

http://masterscast.com/?p=46

I'm starting to get into the show now. I have to remember it's all about Mattel selling toys and having a whole new figure line helps. I guess they were going for the StarWars look. And I do like how Mattycollector has merged to to worlds together. The N/A figures that were released look pretty cool.

Cool Imma check it out

Wow He-man N/A is not the most powerful man in the universe.lol

I was in the same boat, more or less, a few years ago and decided something must be done.

I bought the dvds. I made myself watch at least one a day or so. I had tried before (not buying them) but had to stop in disqust.

Once I commited to buying the dvds I knew I'd watch them.

After a while I got on board. I think there are alot of good stories whos execution were poor but I could see the potential. "Read between the lines" of the good story.

I never anything but hated the scientists. They get used less eventually.

I really think once I finished I was glad. I kept my mind open and tried to see what the writers intended. The later it gets the easier it was to see what was what and what was good.

It's still not great but there were alot of ideas and episodes that had some worthy stuff and I am very glad I saw it. Now I can "fix" it in my mind and know what things are what. Conceptually I am totally behind it now, even though the toon took some work to get through and appreciate. Am very glad for it's absorbtion in MOTUC as that refines it into a better product.

If you can get past the obvious differences between the two shows and take them at face value, then you'll see that it is a very good show. I still find it to be my fave of the three series!

To start off I was born in 80 so I grew up with the Filmation cartoon, golden books VHS, and mini-comics that came with the toys. This is what I consider the "real" He-Man. Everything after that has just been an adaptation or a reimagining of the original.

Seen as an adaptation the "New" Adventures of He-Man are not bad. The animation was a major improvement and the story was pretty good most of the time. The stories were much more complicated featuring longer plot lines that spanned multiple episodes. The redesign of He-Man and Prince Adam was acceptable and I liked that they gave Skeletor a transformation sequence. The NA series is definitely watchable but its' the little things that make this show a little grating at times.

Where the New Adventures of He-Man starts to have issues is with the voice acting and corny dialog.

He-Man's catch phrase "With the power of the good and the will of the magic" made no sense at all. Every time he said it would I yell at the TV and say It's By the power of Grayskull you numbskull get it right.

When He-Man finally does say "I have the power" it sounds all stressed and angry. It didn't come across as powerful at all unlike the original. Half the time He-Man's voice sounded more sinister than the voice for Skeletor which just sounded like a dopey old man. That was a real shame because Skeletor at least had some decent lines. It was just that lines were delivered so poorly and deadpanned. Subtle tones and voice inflections is half of what defines a character. These voices were just kind of flat and uninspiring.

This may sound like nit picking but I figured out why so many say this series was boring and puts them to sleep. It is not the story. It is the poor editing and lack of pacing that makes the series boring. Basically every time there is a scene change there is some transition filler. In NA most of this filler is just the camera panning over some scenery in almost complete silence. To put this in perspective look how Filmation did it right.

For those who remember the Filmation show in detail they always filled the transitions with good music and sound effects. They would either be playing the Eternia theme or Skeletor's theme, or the Orko theme, etc. You knew what was going to come next just based on the music. It was like every character was the Shark from "jaws" where You knew the shark was coming when the music started playing. It was the same way with Skeletor. You knew Skeletor was coming when they started playing his music. By doing this the Filmation series had good pacing through anticipation. This is a basic principle in filmotography. It is really noticeable when this isn't done properly. A good way to put the viewer to sleep is to put in virtually silent transitions.

Additionally the sound effects aren't very good either. The way Filmation did sound effects was really rich and full. For example the way the Filmation laser would make a really distinct "Zap-POW" sound. This sound effect defined the series just as much as any line of dialog or visual animation. The way the lasers in NA sounded was very tinny and generic. New Adventures relied so much on visuals that they almost forgot about the sound. Because NA focused a lot on sci-fi space ships and robots it made the poor sound effects seem very obvious. When they show a bunch of rockets and jets one expects to hear roaring jet engines not just some cheap whooshing sound. People always say how it looks like Voltron but the issue was it didn't sound like Voltron, it didn't sound like He-Man, it didn't have its' own unique sound. It didn't sound like anything so it had a hard time appealing to the sci-fi crowd.

I am not the first person make this observation. There was a fan edit done maybe 5 or 6 years ago that added in sound effects and music from 200X. The fan edit was just a few minutes long but it was really solid and completely changed the way New Adventures of He-Man felt. If the whole series was done in that quality it would have been one of the top animated shows ever made.

Overall it is unfortunate they missed out on these little details because New Adventures really could have been something.
    Last edited by InThe80s; September 29, 2014 at 01:02pm.

I would dissagree about the NA Animation vs Filmation. I do not fault reusing animiations as poor animation. I think it is actually very cool, the rotoscope technique. Additionally the NA art was more or less fine, but the animation of that art was very sloppy and poor. That's about all I disagree with with you. I think Filmation did have stronger designs, art direction, and animation.

Inthe80s I think you got it pretty nailed about the voices, editing and pacing (hadnt thought about it but definately), sound effects...it does go on.

We seem to agree that it does have as it did have alot of good ideas and the production end of it just dropped the ball on so many points. Doesnt mean it's trash, but it does mean it was flawed.

Still worth a watch for a serious fan. The action and storylines are often far more mature than Filmation, or action based than the tame Filmation and that is cool to see.

What is funny is that Olesker has brought up that he tried to subtext the show about God/Good Vs Evil. I feel I always picked up on that and to have it confirmed showed a part of what I was turned off by contextually. It was like Superbook at times.

Since it was good vs evil anyway it is not hard to add or ignore those kinds of subtexts so it shouldnt be a deal breaker neccessarily but it is notable.

Well, we often look upon rotoscoping as cheating, seeing as all it takes is for someone to trace over video footage... any monkey with a pencil can do that, so many of us who have gone through proper animation training, tend to dislike rotoscoped productions. In some case it does look good, like the old Lord of the Rings movie, Fire and Ice and a few other productions, however, those didn't keep on reusing the same sequences over and over again, so they always looked fresh, MOTU because of the overuse of the same sequences often made the show look rather silly. I'm gonna go back and watch the series again and count how many times each sequence is used.

He-Man shouting "I have the power" might not sound as powerful in NA, but that's only because in the original series, they reduced the volume of the words spoken by John, then overlayed sound effects to make it sound like it does, if they hadn't, he would have sounded just like Garry in NA.

Still, if the original series hadn't have been as popular, NA might not have come around.

Die-hard MOTU fans have to study all the stories of MOTU. I think it's great that we are all still so passionate about this world. I personally still don't care much for N/A but it's important because it's still the He-man brand. It's like that family member u don't like no matter what they are still family.lol I was born in 1974 so I remember first getting the story of He-man from the mini comics. Now if I was born in the early 80s then I would have been more open to N/A because the Filmation version would have been showing She-Ra and New Adventure would had been for my target age range.

Check this out to see my vision of what NA He-Man could have been with different music and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Check this out to see my vision of what NA He-Man could have been with different music and sound.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27...man_shortfilms
    Hmm, the music just doesn't suit it

Die-hard MOTU fans have to study all the stories of MOTU. I think it's great that we are all still so passionate about this world. I personally still don't care much for N/A but it's important because it's still the He-man brand. It's like that family member u don't like no matter what they are still family.lol I was born in 1974 so I remember first getting the story of He-man from the mini comics. Now if I was born in the early 80s then I would have been more open to N/A because the Filmation version would have been showing She-Ra and New Adventure would had been for my target age range.
    Couldn't have said it better. I felt the same way...just had to get through it because it had he-man in the title.
    Want to buy - Toys r Us MOTU figures, Goat Man.

I bought the box set of this from australia and I don't think I finished it. It went on ebay soon after.
    My main issue was Skeletor a) not being voiced like Alan Oppenheimer's version, and b) having a green face. I know the latter was later rectified. The show felt so far removed from it's roots (no eternia, other familiar characters etc), that they may as well have made a completely new series. The 2002 series was much better in my opinion. I still have my 2 Best of discs in the anniversary DVD set and I think that's sufficient.