Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU novels-Ever been proposed?

MOTU novels-would you read em?

Fantasy novels do well enough. Why not tell the story of MOTU through novels. Its obvious adults are the main fans and novel are a great way to tell the story.
    It would really help MOTU continue as property and allow the stories to be told. We know there is so much that could be told. Lets have it.
    Last edited by ickzer1; July 5, 2005 at 04:33pm.

I would at least BUY them - I already have a pile of books and even bigger pile of comics waiting for me to get time to read them.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    I'd be game, just as long as they read like novels and not fan-fiction.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

It's one of the ideas that I think mattel should pursue. maybe they can't start with novels after they failed so horribly at promoting the brand, but reintroducing MOTU into the public eye, fanning the existing sparks of a fanbase into flames is comepletely do-able. It's just that mattels seems so utterly clueless and incompetent that i can't see it happening in the near future.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

It would work if they were graphic novels... Otherwise it wouldn't be MotU for me. I have no imagination so I need the pictures.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    It would work if they were graphic novels... Otherwise it wouldn't be MotU for me. I have no imagination so I need the pictures.
    I'd like some illustration as well. Graphic Novels would be most ideal, IMO, but even if they did more 'regular' novels with a drawing every few pages to show what the characters and setting look like would be nice.

In the name of the Lloyd!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    I'd like some illustration as well. Graphic Novels would be most ideal, IMO, but even if they did more 'regular' novels with a drawing every few pages to show what the characters and setting look like would be nice.
    The thing they did with some of the early mini comics would work too. A drawing of an action scene with the text beneath it.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

You're polling a person who has bought several Jason X and Nightmare On Elm Street "spin-off" novels. Jason X. Books. A few of them. I'm going to read them. They are thick. Yeah, I'll buy MOTU novels and read those too, even if there aren't pictures involved! LOL...

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    I would love to see the 2002 MOTU story continued in any form, but I really doubt Mattel would go for it.

They have repeatedly shown that they don't want MOTU to continue and they don't want our money, no matter how much we want to give it to them..

I agree, though. If they were to be written, I would hope they use professional writers and not not fan fic writers. I couldn't deal with a Mary Sue novel.

I would actually love to see one or a series written by Dean Stefan, detailling the ideas they had ready for the cartoon. I doubt you could stretch a half hour episode to a full book, so maybe 3 episodes per book or something, with a full novel detailing the Hordak/Adora story..

And maybe new stories passed the planned MYP Hordak rules Eternia/Masters on the run story line.

Further, I would love to see Val and Emiliano do a series based on the history of Eternia, from He-ro to NA He-man. They might even be able to get Marv Wolfman to rework his comic story to book form..

*sigh* if ony there were an actual possibility of this..

Dr. Omega

Novels would be righteous. Sounds like something that would be licensed. I wonder how you would go about getting the license to do it?

Originally posted by Dr. Omega
    I agree, though. If they were to be written, I would hope they use professional writers and not not fan fic writers. I couldn't deal with a Mary Sue novel.
    Thats an unfair statement to make. The majority of fanfic writers on this board, at least the big guys/gals do not write mary sue stories. I know on some other boards the same cannot be said.

personally I'd love to see it. But I wont hold my breath.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

They could also afford to make things more gritty and violent with novels also. Some proper bad ass covers aswell!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    I would LOVE to see MOTU novels. And who needs pictures? I've read over 150 Star Wars novels, and none of them have illustrations. The Dragonlance and Harry potter books that I'm so addicted to only have small illustrations at the beginnings of the chapters. A novel does not need pictures. PICTURE books and comic books need pictures. And MOTU has already had those.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy
    They could also afford to make things more gritty and violent with novels also. Some proper bad ass covers aswell!
    Ummmm, it's MOTU. There's only so much gritty and violence you could do before we're reading Conan the Barbarian
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull
    Ummmm, it's MOTU. There's only so much gritty and violence you could do before we're reading Conan the Barbarian
    And this would be a problem why?
    www.eamonart.com

Cause MOTU is NOT Conan?

Seriously, it's a kid's property. Just like I have a problem with Megatron stepping on humans, I'd probably be turned off by Skeletor blasting an entire village, killing all with his Havok Staff.
    Rob

Seriously, it's a kid's property. Just like I have a problem with Megatron stepping on humans, I'd probably be turned off by Skeletor blasting an entire village, killing all with his Havok Staff.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the first Dreamwave comics showed Megatron squish some human guards. Icons of Evil Trapjaw story also showed Skeletor blasting away at a mound of troops and frying up some bodies. It's not like it hasn't been done already, but I agree that the element that separates He-man from Conan should remain intact. The bad guys should be the only ones revelling in violence while the heroes should be trying to avoid major amounts and supporting their ethics. That is what made MOTU great to me, bad guys were bad..good guys didn't stoop to it!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull
    Cause MOTU is NOT Conan?

Seriously, it's a kid's property. Just like I have a problem with Megatron stepping on humans, I'd probably be turned off by Skeletor blasting an entire village, killing all with his Havok Staff.
    I don't have any problem with Skeletor blasting an entire village and lets not forget MOTU's origins dude! Dark and gritty!
    www.eamonart.com

which got the Conan people lawsuit happy if I recall.

Sides, for whatever origin the property had, the Filmation and MYP toons have pretty much ensured that the Clark Kent-ish origin will be one people go with, not the Conan/Kamadi stuff.
    Last edited by HeManOfGreyskull; July 6, 2005 at 01:24pm.
    Rob

You can still have all that stuff just little bit more realistic and darker!
    www.eamonart.com

Well, I've always stood by my desires that MOTU would mature the same rate as its original fan base. The comics were off to a good start on this (Skeletor beating the living hell out of Trap Jaw is still my favorite MOTU moment of all time). I'm sure that novels written as well as the comics would be spectacular.

So long, children. Hello, adult statues. Now bring on the adult novels!

Seriously, NOTU is no longer a kids property, there are no kids toys. All current MOTU products are for the adult market. Those who still believe MOTU is a kids property, where have you been the last few years?

Novels are a great way to tell the MOTU story to adults. We are the fanbase of MOTU. Not to mention they might eventually lead to a bigger fanbase if its got a great story.

Skeletor and crew are evil. Drangonlance, Forgotten Realms novels depict evil things happening and they sell well.

MOTU is fantasy. Let it continue like a fantasy property.

I don't know. I like the idea of novels- but I am not so sure about making MOTU "darker and realistic". I like MOTU the way it is.

For example, the new Thundercats comics were "darker and realistic" compared to the cartoon- but for me, it didn't work. The comic wasn't Thundercats anymore- it was stripped of all the campy charm that is Thundercats.

The division of pre and post the Filmation cartoon is certainly apparant here!
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steph
    I don't know. I like the idea of novels- but I am not so sure about making MOTU "darker and realistic". I like MOTU the way it is.

You mean dead with no ongoing story? MOTU doesnt have to be rated R but its only us adults left supporting it. Might as well treat it like a REAL fantasy brand and bust out the novels.