Thread: The SORCERESS (Photanium Edition) Metal Pinup and other MOTU sketches...

The SORCERESS (Photanium Edition) Metal Pinup & other MOTU sketches (updated:SEP 8)

Hi, just wanted to share some recent He-Man fan art I created.

I drew this piece earlier this year which I planned to have printed onto a sheet of aluminum metal (ie. Photanium) to decorate my room and protect it from evil spirits

For those interested in a little more detail behind this this illustration, please visit my blog entry.

The art was done by mouse primarily using vectors and comprised of thousands of individually drawn shapes. It took several weeks to complete.

If you're curious to see a time lapse video showing the construction of this piece, you can watch it on youtube.

This is how the actual Photanium print came out. The metal sheet is about 1 mm thick. I was very happy with the result.

So far it has kept away a couple of mosquitos, a giant spider and a baby earwig Oh, and it also makes a nice resting place for some old action figures!

I also whipped up a cleaning cloth for my metal print. Of course, it is not an official item, but I couldn't resist adding the MOTU and Mattel logos (which I redrew) just for fun

Unfortunately, the quality wasn't so great as you can tell it's kinda blurry

I also did some oldschool filmation style sketches of some of the other characters along the way.

Props to anyone who understands the 'Simpsons' reference Hope you enjoyed!

UPDATES
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update AUG 19, 2013: Gorgon firechalk sketch added to post #16
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3318235

Update SEP 8, 2013: He-Man, Skeletor, Orko & Kowl '80s Cartoons 1/40 Pixel Scale added to post #17
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3330116
    Last edited by Bosatsu; September 7, 2013 at 11:46pm.

Holy cow. That is incredible!
    My Deviant Art http://seraphyn303.deviantart.com/

My Art Blog (pretty old but where most of my MOTU stuff is) http://sera-sketch.blogspot.co.uk/

I am currently taking commissions.

Awesome stuff man, that's one cool idea for a wall decoration. I might do something similar.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Damn buddy... That Sorceress is fantastic.

Well done! I'm impressed that this was vector art. It doesn't look like typical vector illustrations.

Seraphyn303> thankyou!

Neo> I considered making a large Castle Grayskull frame or something, but the cost of metal printing is very expensive But thanks, and looking forward to your piece!

Galdelico> thanks

Beeto Bot> I really appreciate that compliment, thankyou!

If I do more MOTU sketches in the future, I'll update this thread with them. I probably won't work on another Photanium piece for a while, but If I do, I've got it narrowed down to either Teela, Evil-Lyn, Skeletor or Jem to balance out the wall. Yes... I said Jem

That's really cool. Amazing work. I really liked your YouTube vid - always fun seeing how people work.

Thanks for sharing!

Heroic Warrior
    Really impressive, the sheer intricate work involved; I do admire you level of skill!

Sorceress looks amazing. Fantastic work. Hope to see more art from you!

PS. Why did you make the Falcon-headpiece's beak open? Or am I seeing it incorrectly? In the sketch it looks to be normal.

Scriptor> thankyou very much!

BlueStreak> Thanks but I can't take all the credit. My friend E.H. spent a lot of time on the music and if it wasn't for his contribution, I probably wouldn't have made a vectormation to go with it.

Jukka> Thanks for the comment! The open beak falcon headdress was a concept I did in an earlier piece. Since Zoar is an extension of the Sorceress, I thought it would be neat to give it the ability to change expressions in unique situations - either to channel her innermost thoughts, or react by itself as a separate entity. I also chose to do it this way because I think it makes the design a bit more interesting, dynamic, and perhaps a tad sexier too

Also, a BIG thankyou to Captain Atkin and He-Man.org staff for selecting my Sorceress piece for He-Man.org's fanart of the week!! I've been having a pretty rough month so this came as a sudden surprise! I'm very honoured I'll try to keep this thread updated with new MOTU sketches/artwork when time permits. Thanks again to fellow members that have looked/commented - I really appreciate it!
    www.BOSATSU.com < My art portfolio

Looks amazing! Great work! And that music on that video is fantastic! Great rendition of the POP theme.
    Last edited by Drakken; August 18, 2013 at 12:36am.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Widget
    That artwork is a breathtaking rendition of the Sorceress. I love that there's even some cameltoe for those with keen eyes.
    She looks just *stunning*

She's so beautiful! And I love this concept:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosatsu View Post
    Jukka> Thanks for the comment! The open beak falcon headdress was a concept I did in an earlier piece. Since Zoar is an extension of the Sorceress, I thought it would be neat to give it the ability to change expressions in unique situations - either to channel her innermost thoughts, or react by itself as a separate entity. I also chose to do it this way because I think it makes the design a bit more interesting, dynamic, and perhaps a tad sexier too

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    A beautiful pic I love it very stunning. I love how her cape billows in the wind very awesome
    Etheria will be mine!

Heroic Warrior
    Really wonderful job! I love your sketches as well!

Drakken> Glad you enjoyed it. I passed that note along to my buddy E.H. and he really appreciates that, thanks!!

reillyd> You've got an excellent eye lol. And thankyou very much for the kind words!

Salamandra> Thankyou! I think some people originally thought it was a silly idea so I'm very happy you like that concept.

General Stingrad> Thankyou very much! It was tedious work but I'm glad you like it.

eternian phoenix> Cool, thanks for letting me know. I'll hopefully do more MOTU sketches when I have the time. Speaking of which...

Yesterday I made a little sketch of Gorgon (Evil Ruler of the Isle Of Tears) from He-Man episode, "The Defection". I have no idea why I chose to draw this filthy creature over Sibyline, but hopefully those that recognize this particular ep, will get a small kick out of this weird but rare villain

The regular sketch version can be found on my site here!

I created some original sprites of some popular '80s cartoon figures recently. Not sure anyone here is a fan of pixel art but thought it would be fun to compare the size of He-Man, Skeletor, Orko and Kowl with other classic animation characters in a different style. If the pic appears blurry, please enlarge the image to fullsize. To read a more detailed description of this piece, please click here!

Awesome! Not only they're all beautifully drawn (love pixelart!) but the whole layout is killer.
    Btw, Jem is freaking huge! XD

Galdelico> thanks man! Looking forward to more of your TC redesigns As for Jem, the height stat is definitely exaggerated (even with the retro wig), but I just wanted her a bit taller than April since I always pictured her as a model

ummm...wow...

Never thought I'd EVER be in love with the sorceress...always too much fur for my tastes...but damnnnn.

Great job by the artist on this. just envy all over this piece.

Gorgeous.