Thread: A Mother Knows

A Mother Knows

Hello to all! Well, here's a new story for you. It's not the first fan fic I've done, but it is the first I've posted here. (There would be a ***is so nervous*** smily right here if I could find one.) Just so you know, my stories tend to focus on the Royal Family, particularly the relationships between the members. They also tend to be fairly contemplative with very little dialogue. The following is one such story. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Author's Notes: This takes place two days after the events in "The Rainbow Warrior," from the classic series.

A Mother Knows

Prince Adam inched toward the open door of his parents’ chambers and peeked cautiously inside. His mother was sitting on a settee in the antechamber, legs folded underneath her, engrossed in a book. The low-heeled shoes she normally wore were on the floor, almost underneath the furniture. She did not seem to notice him, but Adam had no doubt that she soon would. Apparently she noticed everything.

Adam leaned against the doorframe and inwardly sighed. Only four others knew his secret, and there was a reason for that: the more people who knew, the greater chance there was of his enemies finding out. Adam had spent the last two days haunted by the image of Eternia’s most ruthless villains lined up one behind the other, awaiting their opportunity to torture information out of a woman who should never have obtained it.

Adam had yet to determine just how his mother had learned his secret in the first place. Had someone told her? Certainly it would not have been the Sorceress, who had been very clear on the fact that King Randor and Queen Marlena were not to know about their son’s alter ego. Man-at-Arms had kept the secret for so long now that Adam could not imagine him letting it slip. Orko might have, but even he would have understood the gravity of his error and come to Adam right away. That only left Cringer. Adam shook his head. He knew that the large animal did not even like to think about his experiences as Battle Cat, let alone talk about them.

There was, of course, also the possibility that Marlena did not really know anything at all about his secret life. After all, her words following the air battle had been incredibly vague.

“I had a feeling you’d know what to do.”

That did not necessarily mean that she knew he was He-Man. Perhaps she had simply been confident that he would somehow alert the famed warrior and bring him to the battle.

“I’ve always been very proud of you.”

Well, of course she was! Mothers were supposed to be proud of their children. It was, like, the Law of Motherhood or something. Surely she could be proud of him without knowing he could transform into the Champion of Grayskull.

Adam squared his shoulders and stepped forward. He loved his mother, and he was about to do the best thing for her. He was about to do the right thing.

“Mother?”

Marlena glanced up and smiled at him, looking not at all surprised by his sudden appearance.

“Hello, Adam. What brings you here?” She shifted on the settee and nodded at the space beside her. “Please, sit.”

He accepted the invitation. “I could ask the same of you.”

Marlena arched a brow. “What brings me to my own chambers?”

“Uh, no. I meant… well… I thought you would be at that meeting with King Caston and his dignitaries.” He had, in fact, been hoping that she would be.

“No.” The Queen laughed ruefully. “It’s actually best for all concerned if King Caston and I are not in the same room.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because he doesn’t like me.”

“He doesn’t like you?” Adam repeated, immediately indignant on his mother’s behalf. Marlena was kind and good. How could anyone not like her?

“I’m afraid not, and he hasn’t for a long time.” Marlena placed a strip of cloth in her book, marking the page, before setting the book aside. “You see, King Caston does not think that someone who is not even from this planet should be helping to rule it.”

Adam’s brow furrowed as he considered that. He had never thought about it before, but there must have been a lot of people who were less than thrilled when Marlena Glenn, an alien astronaut, was crowned queen. How many had considered hurting or even assassinating her? Ancients only knew what those people might do if they knew who her son really was!

Adam’s distress must have been visible, for Marlena leaned forward and placed a gentle hand on his arm. “Don’t worry, Adam. King Caston is not dangerous. He’s certainly never threatened me with harm, nor do I think he even wishes it on me. In fact, he’d probably like me if I were not in a position of such power. His distrust is just so apparent, and meetings with him are so unpleasant and pointless when I’m there that your father and I both agree it’s better I stay away.”

Adam frowned. “Father does not defend you?”

“He did, but then King Caston would get so offended that nothing was accomplished. He is one of our staunchest allies, and, well, sometimes you have to pick your battles.”

“But King Caston comes every year to meet with Father.”

“That’s right. And every year I find somewhere else to be.”

“You shouldn’t have to!” Adam all but shouted.

“You’re right, Adam. I shouldn’t have to.” Marlena released his arm and leaned back. “But it’s for the good of the realm that I do.”

The good of the realm… Suddenly remembering why he was there, Adam put on his most winning smile and said, “So you’re free all day?”

“Yes, Adam,” Marlena answered, appearing unfazed by the rapid change of topic, “All day. Why do you ask?”

Adam discreetly clutched the fabric of the cushion in his fist, twisted it, and forced himself to answer, “I was wondering if you’d like to come to Castle Grayskull with me.”

Marlena’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly. “Why?”

Adam mentally cursed. She would have to ask that! His lips twitched in a near laugh as he thought about telling her the truth: “Well, Mother, I need the Sorceress to erase any knowledge you may have about my secret identity. Don’t worry, though. It won’t take long.”

It occurred to him that Marlena was waiting for a response. He swallowed past the lump in his throat and answered carefully, because his mother had always had a talent for uncovering lies, “I just thought you’d like to see her. She’d like to see you.” That last part was a lie. If the Sorceress knew what Adam was planning, it was not because he’d told her.

“Does she really? I’d have thought the Sorceress of Grayskull would have more important things to do with her time.”

She was testing him now. Adam knew that as well as he knew his own name. Not only could his mother separate truth from lie, she also had an uncanny way of making almost anyone admit to being untruthful. Adam thought about the few times in his childhood when he’d tried to deceive his parents. Not once had the words ‘Are you lying to me?’ passed Marlena’s lips, yet somehow he’d always ended up confessing to whatever misdeed he had committed. Well, not this time! There was a lot more at stake now than playtime or dessert, so he pressed on.

“Meeting with you would be important. You’re the queen, after all. Your husband helps defend Castle Grayskull. I’m sure there are a lot of things you and the Sorceress could talk about.”

“Oh, I’ve no doubt of that.” Marlena returned. “We’ve met before, the Sorceress and I. Several times, in fact.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“Yes, well, it was right after you were born. The years since then have been filled with so many things- attending to affairs of state, raising you- that I’ve not had the chance to visit Grayskull.”

“Today’s as good a day as any to remedy that.” Adam pointed out.

“Perhaps you’re right, Adam.”

Although the queen’s words were exactly what he had wanted to hear, something in her tone made Adam squirm. He watched anxiously as his mother chewed on her bottom lip, clearly contemplating something.

“The Sorceress is a fascinating woman: so powerful, and so mysterious.” Marlena unfolded her legs and planted her feet on the floor. “If I understand correctly, she has been entrusted by the Ancients themselves to guard all of Eternia’s secrets.”

“Yes.”

“Then she has an important task indeed, and a difficult one. Secrets can be so hard to keep that some people would prefer not to be entrusted with them at all. There’s always the risk of accidentally trusting the wrong person, or worrying that someone will find out on their own. It must be exhausting for the Sorceress, having to keep secrets of such magnitude.”

There was no mistaking the serious tone of Marlena’s speech. A sick feeling formed in Adam’s stomach, and he felt a dire need to stop the queen before she said another word.

“Mother…”

Just as she had two days before, Marlena continued as if her son had not even spoken. “The Sorceress is not the only one with secrets, Adam. Nor is she the only one who can keep them.” Marlena stared straight into her son’s eyes and said, “You know, I’m probably better at keeping secrets than you think.”

Had Adam been standing, he most definitely would have fallen at that point. There was no longer any doubt in his mind about what his mother did and did not know. He jumped from his seat, unable to deny what he must do.

“Please, Mother, come to Grayskull with me.”

Marlena stood also, never taking her eyes from his face. “Alright, Adam. I’ll come with you…”

“Thank you.” He started for the door.

“…if it’s really what you want.”

Adam stopped mid-turn. He looked back at his mother. She stood there, hands on hips, staring at her son.

“Is this what you want, Adam?” Marlena formed the words carefully, deliberately. “Is it truly your wish that I meet with the Sorceress?”

His wish? What he wanted? Ancients, when was the last time someone had asked him that? Certainly his desires had long been secondary to the defense of Eternia. When he was first informed of his destiny, Adam’s concerns had been practical. Was he really going to be the strongest man in the universe? Would he truly be all but invincible? What if he got hurt? What if he died? The Sorceress had given him more to worry about by explaining exactly why none but those chosen could know about Adam’s secret identity.

By the end of He-Man’s first battle with Skeletor, Adam knew what had to be done. So he simply feigned an immaturity that most his age had long outgrown, and did so with a determination and single-mindedness that were a stark contrast to the persona he perpetuated. No one- not even the foremost of Eternia’s scholars- would ever make the connection between the prince and the warrior.

His plan worked, or so he’d assumed. Everyone thought he ran from battles, when really he was winning them. Teela didn’t think he could even lift a sword. His father wanted him to be more like He-Man. Adam sometimes wondered if anyone would believe him when he finally did reveal the truth.

Apparently he had not played his part well enough, a fact that had been made glaringly obvious two days ago. This brought him back to his original question: how had Marlena found out? He had been so very careful. He knew his mother was very observant. He also knew that Marlena, having been a scientist, had a natural aptitude for analyzing data and making logical conclusions. Had she simply noticed that her son and He-Man were never together, or that the warrior only appeared for battle once Adam had disappeared?

Not that it mattered, he reminded himself. What mattered now was dealing with the situation. He’d been certain about the correct solution before, but now he was not so sure. He knew peripherally that Marlena was still watching him, but so deep in thought was he that he was able to ignore her presence. His mind swirled with new questions, other possibilities. How long had his mother known? Surely she had not just figured it out. The knowledge would have been embedded deep within Marlena’s psyche by the time she decided to blast him free. He wondered what she’d thought when she’d first uncovered the truth. She said that she was proud of her son. Was she also scared for him? Angry that he’d not told her himself?

There was no indication that Marlena had told anyone else what she knew. She had just said that she could keep a secret. Could she keep his? Adam understood now that she already had. He wondered if the Sorceress knew. How could she not? She was able to read minds, after all. Wouldn’t she have said something to Adam, or rectified the situation on her own? The prince smiled to himself. It seemed that for once, the needs of the planet and the desires of its defender were one and the same.

He looked up at his mother. She did not appear to be impatient, irritated, or even worried. The look on her face was one of confidence, as if she knew that whatever decision Adam made would be the best one. He-Man inspired such faith everyday. Maybe it was finally Adam’s turn.

“On second thought,” Adam finally broke the silence, “Maybe we don’t need to go to Grayskull, after all. It’s such a beautiful day outside, and, well,” here he adopted his normal, flippant tone, “the fish aren’t going to catch themselves.”

Marlena returned to her place on the settee. She gracefully folded her legs, and Adam noticed for the first time that she had not even put on her shoes. The queen smiled demurely at her son and murmured,

“That’s what I thought.”
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

~Peter Gibbons, Office Space

"How 'bout you not judge? How 'bout you just love?"

~Me

This is good. By the way, have you finished the Family Divided story over on Fan-Fiction.net? I like that one too.
    QUIS NOS OPEROR VITA REFERO INFINITIO: WHAT WE DO IN LIFE ECHOS IN ETERNITY

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoman06
    This is good. By the way, have you finished the Family Divided story over on Fan-Fiction.net? I like that one too.

Thank you.

I have one more chapter to go on "A Family Divided," which should be posted either this weekend or early next week.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

~Me

Quote Originally Posted by chamita116

Author's Notes: This takes place two days after the events in "The Rainbow Warrior," from the classic series.
    Yay! Masters post-episode fic. "The Rainbow Warrior" is one of the episodes I can't wait to see. I voted for it in the '10 Best'

Adam’s brow furrowed as he considered that. He had never thought about it before, but there must have been a lot of people who were less than thrilled when Marlena Glenn, an alien astronaut, was crowned queen. How many had considered hurting or even assassinating her? Ancients only knew what those people might do if they knew who her son really was!
    Ah, interesting. Now that's something I hadn't really thought about. The prospects of an alien queen could have made some people very uncomfortable and some power hungry Eternians practically salivating. The public denoucement of Randor's intended bride by a few important people could have turned public sentiment against the crown. Perhaps not by much but enough to where they would have to invest extra energy at placating the masses. Power is such a seductive thing and anyone that had designs on the crown themselves and with enough political clout could stir the pot. They could even take the extra step and consider it grounds to remove Randor for "making a mockery of the crown" and "diluting the royal bloodline." Scary stuff.

And what would those same people do if they found out about Adam? Somehow I don't they would leap for joy at being decieved even if He-Man is the epitome of selflessness. Two words: witch hunt Adam has every right to be concerned.

Adam mentally cursed. She would have to ask that! His lips twitched in a near laugh as he thought about telling her the truth: “Well, Mother, I need the Sorceress to erase any knowledge you may have about my secret identity. Don’t worry, though. It won’t take long.”
    LOL, poor Adam. He can't catch a break.

She was testing him now. Adam knew that as well as he knew his own name. Not only could his mother separate truth from lie, she also had an uncanny way of making almost anyone admit to being untruthful. Adam thought about the few times in his childhood when he’d tried to deceive his parents. Not once had the words ‘Are you lying to me?’ passed Marlena’s lips, yet somehow he’d always ended up confessing to whatever misdeed he had committed. Well, not this time! There was a lot more at stake now than playtime or dessert, so he pressed on.
    This is cute. Aside from no playtime or dessert I wonder what kind of punishment had been in store for the young Prince of Eternia.

Had Adam been standing, he most definitely would have fallen at that point. There was no longer any doubt in his mind about what his mother did and did not know. He jumped from his seat, unable to deny what he must do.

“Please, Mother, come to Grayskull with me.”
    Poor Adam. It's almost like short of hog-tying his mother and throwing her over his shoulder will Adam get her to Grayskull.

Marlena stood also, never taking her eyes from his face. “Alright, Adam. I’ll come with you…”

“Thank you.” He started for the door.

“…if it’s really what you want.”
    Clever woman. I'm glad she's on our side. That's very nice.

His wish? What he wanted? Ancients, when was the last time someone had asked him that? Certainly his desires had long been secondary to the defense of Eternia. When he was first informed of his destiny, Adam’s concerns had been practical. Was he really going to be the strongest man in the universe? Would he truly be all but invincible? What if he got hurt? What if he died? The Sorceress had given him more to worry about by explaining exactly why none but those chosen could know about Adam’s secret identity.

By the end of He-Man’s first battle with Skeletor, Adam knew what had to be done. So he simply feigned an immaturity that most his age had long outgrown, and did so with a determination and single-mindedness that were a stark contrast to the persona he perpetuated. No one- not even the foremost of Eternia’s scholars- would ever make the connection between the prince and the warrior.

His plan worked, or so he’d assumed. Everyone thought he ran from battles, when really he was winning them. Teela didn’t think he could even lift a sword. His father wanted him to be more like He-Man. Adam sometimes wondered if anyone would believe him when he finally did reveal the truth.
    Adam puts on a real carefree persona. I've never seen anything to believe that he himself is not like that but having to perpetuate that 24/7 with the amount of zeal that he does has got to be emotionally taxing for him. The Adam everyone around him sees is always like that--taking everything in stride. He's a lovable goof. Different people see different faces faces to some extent but the performance everyone gets treated to is Adam as the carefree, immature prince. No one save Man-at-Arms get to see the young man behind the mask that is dealing with more responsiblity then other people his age will ever see in a lifetime. He's fighting for the sake of his planet and the universe. He's never allowed himself the luxury of doing something for himself--of freeing himself just a bit from the stranglehold that is his false cowardly exterior. Now with the very real possiblity of his mother knowing his secret he has that chance. With it will come worry for Marlena about her son's well being and for Adam concern that his mother will become a target but the ball is in Adam's court. Like you said, no one's ever given him the choice.

“On second thought,” Adam finally broke the silence, “Maybe we don’t need to go to Grayskull, after all. It’s such a beautiful day outside, and, well,” here he adopted his normal, flippant tone, “the fish aren’t going to catch themselves.”

LOL, the whole Adam+fishing=fun angle that runs rampant through the series never fails to crack me up. Nice touch.

A very enjoyable read chamita116 There's so much to unearth when it comes to the Royal Family that it'll be interesting to see what you come up with next.

I have one more chapter to go on "A Family Divided," which should be posted either this weekend or early next week.
    Say what? No way!

I can't believe it's actually coming to an end. It's the first Masters WIP that I was able to follow from start to finish and I'm getting a little misty-eyed. It's a lovely story. You should be very proud.
    Last edited by Abby; October 21, 2005 at 10:48pm.
    LOIS: "And one other thing: You're not working with me, you're working for me. I call the shots, I ask the questions. You are low man, I am top banana and that's the way I like it, comprende?

CLARK: "You like to be on top. Got it."

LOIS: "Don't push me Kent. You are way out of your league."

Hello and Welcome!

Great fic!

Hello to all! Well, here's a new story for you. It's not the first fan fic I've done, but it is the first I've posted here. (There would be a ***is so nervous*** smily right here if I could find one.)
    Ugh ... I know the feeling.

Responding to Abby again ('cause I didn't get it right the first time!)

I also voted for "That Rainbow Warrior." (Chamita116 votes for a Marlena-centric episode? Betcha didn't see that one coming! )

The "Marlena as alien" angle is definitely something I'd like to explore in later stories. The Eternians may be some of the most tolerant people ever, but I find it hard to believe that every single one of them said, "An alien queen? Okay!"

I don't think Adam exactly went from "always on time and ready for battle" one day to "sleeps all day and avoids training practice like the plague" the next. If he'd done that, then I think enough people might have questioned such a drastic change that The Secret would have been in jeopardy. I think part of it does have to do with his personality, but he's just exaggerated it so much that it masks his other traits.

Thanks for the review. There's definitely more stories coming, but there are so many plots running around in my head that even I'm not sure which will come to fruition first.
    Last edited by chamita116; October 22, 2005 at 12:25am. Reason: I can't seem to get this whole "quoting parts of messages" thing down!

~Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Hello and Welcome!

Great fic!

Ugh ... I know the feeling.
    Thank you. I'm happy I finally got up the nerve to post here.

~Me