Thread: Evilseed and what it symbolizes

Hybrid View

Evilseed and what it symbolizes

Watching this excellent episode the other day it occured to me that Evilseed might be symbolizing marijuana.

Funny that a hooded man sells some bad seeds. When we see him talking to Skeletor on Skeletor's big screen me and my cousin laughed and pointed out that is looked like a drug dealer.

Not to mention it's "weeds" that grow and overtake everything.

I think they may have been secretly pointing out the evils of pot with Evilseed.
    Last edited by Ite; October 24, 2005 at 02:32pm.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    i think you have thought about it way too much
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic Warrior
    Watch the Best of He-Man Season One DVD, you'll find out the idea behind "Evilseed" (and it isn't drugs).

PrinceAdam27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ite
    Watching this excellent episode the other day it occured to me that Evilseed might be symbolizing marijuana.

Funny that a hooded man sells some bad seeds. When we see him talking to Skeletor on Skeletor's big screen me and my cousin laughed and pointed out that is looked like a drug dealer.

I think they may have been secretly pointing out the evils of pot with Evilseed.
    An artichoke was the inspiration behind Evilseed, not pot.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam27
    Yes, that was the inspiration for Evilseed, at least according to the info on the 10 Best DVD. But we were not there when the idea was originally created, so for all we know the guy who came up with it could have been high at the time.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam27
    Sure his head looks like a artichoke but I see marijuana undertones behind the whole evilseed and weeds. I wasn't even talking about the way his appearance was.

Are me and my cousin the only ones who noticed this? Makes alot of sense and it's not like the creator would openly admit it has anything to do with drugs!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I never saw any such implications in Evilseed; he seemed more the time honored force of nature rebellion against man's dominion and abuse of the natural world. It's a classic theme that worked well here.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

He's standing for a moral: Eat your veggies, kids, or they'll try to conquer your planet.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger
    I never saw any such implications in Evilseed; he seemed more the time honored force of nature rebellion against man's dominion and abuse of the natural world. It's a classic theme that worked well here.
    Howdy

Thats how I saw the ep as well. No matter how advanced in technology you are nature will win. And it's interesting as magic doesn't work, neither does technology. The only thing that stops Evilseed is snow which is natural anyway. So Evilseed is there to show you that nature will always be more stronger than anything man made.

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; October 25, 2005 at 10:23am.
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    I don't see any sort of connection, but I guess we all now know what YOU think about, Ite

Dr. Ω

PrinceAdam27

Yes, let's implement that into a kid's show.

I can see where ya coming from.... but I don't think it's the case in this instance.... and if they were trying to make kids aware of the threats of drugs etc....back in the day would they have been so subliminal about it?

He-Man would have popped his head out at the end and let you know the morals behind the story
    Now Let me return the favor..... By DESTROYING YOU!!!!!

Thorne
    "A Friend in Need" was clearly about drugs, and inherent dangers..even down to the moral.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne
    "A Friend in Need" was clearly about drugs, and inherent dangers..even down to the moral.
    "The Eternia Flower" also - Though they replaced drugs with flowers...Until the moral segment that is...Teela's delivery of the moral was pretty powerful and wonderful voice acting by Linda Gary:

"Do you know someone who uses drugs the way Jonno used that flower? Drugs can be dangerous because of the effect they can have on the mind and body. The price one pays for the feeling a drug gives can be a loss of control, hurting someone you love or something much worse. People often get sick playing with drugs. Some even die. Never take drugs from other people, even if a close friend says it's all right, check with someone who really loves you. See you next time."

I'm pretty sure this gets addressed in one of the upcoming documentaries...