View Poll Results: Which episode should be placed as the series finale on the S2, V2 DVD set?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • MU110 - "The Problem With Power"

26 70.27%
  • MU130 - "The Cold Zone"

11 29.73%

Thread: "The Problem With Power" continuity poll

"The Problem With Power" continuity poll

Hey Guys!

Like the rest of you, I have been busy enjoying the FANTASTIC Season 1 Volume 1 DVD set. I really think it was big of BCI to take notice of my original "episode continuity" thread (along with Lioncourt's much-appreciated poll) and take it to heart when they sequenced the DVDs.

Lioncourt and I got a lot of support with "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" and the Montork episodes, but when it came to making "The Problem With Power" the series finale, I was disheartened to find that a lot of you were indifferent to the idea. Do you really want the series to end on such a random note as it originally did? Wouldn't it be more fitting to close with a shot of He-Man carrying Teela off into the sunset? I know you're saying, "Who cares?" or, "You're taking this too seriously." And, maybe I am. I just really want to see a classy series end in a classy way...

P.S. Question to BCI: Are there plans to change the order of the Modulok episodes for the sake of continuity? Thanks again for the "Diamond Ray" and Montork fixes!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I don't feel the ego of that episode needs to be inflated anymore than it already is!

But, from a purely television view, it does work well for a series finale.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    I don't feel the ego of that episode needs to be inflated anymore than it already is!

But, from a purely television view, it does work well for a series finale.

I wasn't implying that TPWP was THE BEST episode of the series; on the contrary, I am well aware that quite a few he-fans consider it average at best.

I'm just saying that this episode brings a better sense of closure to the series as a whole. "The Cold Zone" is just too random to serve as the proper series finale.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris80
    I wasn't implying that TPWP was THE BEST episode of the series; on the contrary, I am well aware that quite a few he-fans consider it average at best.

I'm just saying that this episode brings a better sense of closure to the series as a whole. "The Cold Zone" is just too random to serve as the proper series finale.
    Which is why I also said... But, from a purely television view, it does work well for a series finale.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I voted to make TPWP the final ep. I understand the reasons why people would want it to be the finale, but I'm still only lukewarm about it.

Like TCZ, this episode doesnt do much to close the series IMO. Yes we get some romantic allusions at the end and a nice moral struggle for Adam/He-Man, but there's zero closure regarding the He-Man/Skeletor dynamic and most of the regular cast is swept to the side.

So basically I dont mind it being the final ep, but I wont be crushed if it's not.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Howdy

The Problem With Power should definately be the series finale.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

I'd really prefer that the order in which they were aired be the order of the DVD's.
    Since there was no overal story arch, and each episode was it's own self-contained story so that Damar the Demon could be shown after Quest for He-Man with no contuinity problems, I don't see the need for a season finale, especially since while in syndication after the first season there was no seasons to speak of.
    Beware of Sham Wow imitators.

I also spoke highly in for of getting the ProblemWP to be put as final episode to the set, since it gives He-Man one truely big problem to solve at the end of the series and finally gets to walk into the sunset with Teela.
    (too bad that the "next" episode after that, "Into Etheria" quickly dissolves the He-Man/Teela -relationship when Adam finds himself in the midst of Etheria with all these babes running around him)

Though I don't remember how much of the suggested continuity-issues they could fix at the time of making the list with Val, cause the Modulok-incidence is something I understood couldn't make it....or then I read few sentences wrong in the posts.

The Christmas Story was the final episode and appearance of He-Man though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban
    I'd really prefer that the order in which they were aired be the order of the DVD's.
    Since there was no overal story arch, and each episode was it's own self-contained story so that Damar the Demon could be shown after Quest for He-Man with no contuinity problems, I don't see the need for a season finale, especially since while in syndication after the first season there was no seasons to speak of.
    there is a slight arc - not really series spanning, but there are episodes that directly refer to earlier episodes. and thankfully BCI is putting those in continuity order rather than production order.

TPWP controversy exists only because it gives that psychological feeling of finality the way it ends. The Cold Zone is just another episode.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Well, I did not vote because I am not really familiar with "The Cold Zone" episode (if I ever saw it, it was probably like 20 years ago and I don't remember much about it), so I really can't make a fair assessment of it.

As far as "The Problem with Power" is concerned, to me it just doesn't fully seem right for the final episode. Not that it being the final one would upset me or anything, but it just doesn't having the ending feel to it.

Truthfully, to me, it feels more like something that should happen in the middle (not necessarily exactly in the middle, but definately having several episodes to follow it). It almost seems like if they had fleshed out the story a bit more, making it into a 2-parter with the first part ending with Adam throwing the sword away, the the second part being where he gets it back, it would have made a good season finale cliffhanger kind of episode with part 2 opening the next season.
    -(In fact, they did something kind of like that in the 200X series in "The Council of Evil" with He-man transforming back into Adam and then losing his sword (though accidentally and not because he thought that he killed anyone), and then getting it back in the season 2 opener "The Last Stand")

Even though "The Problem with Power" is a single, 1/2 hour episode, it still just has more of a cliffhanger-y feel to it, IMO, and really should be followed up by further adventures since Adam has kind of had a new 'rebirth' into being He-man after retreiving his sword.

Another reason that I don't like the idea of this being the final show is because it focuses too much around this Emperor Tanarak (I most likely spelled that name incorrectly). Skeletor is there and is a threat, but not the threat. And if I recall correctly (its been a while since I watched this one), none of his usual warriors (i.e. Beastman, Mer-man, Evil Lyn, Trap Jaw, Tri-klops, etc) even make an appearance in this episode.
    He-man is in it quite a bit, along with many of the typical good guys, but even many of those characters (with the exception of He-man) seem to almost take a back seat to this Emperor Tanarak guy and his warriors that are coming through the portal, IMO. Plus, while there is nothing wrong with the background design, too much of the episode occurs around the location of this portal/gateway that these warriors are coming through, and therefore is not occuring around more familiar local like Grayskull or Snake Mountain, which only happened for very small parts of the episode.

The only thing about PWP that even seems remotely like a finale, IMO, is where He-man carries Teela off into the sunset, and even that isn't as big of a deal to me as many seem to be making it out to be. She was injured, He-man is carrying her, and they are kind of casually flirting. Now, we can imagine that they get together and live happily ever after, or its very possible (and probably more likely) that its just casual, momentary flirting that occurs as he carries her home, and the next day they just go on with their lives as is. There is something poetic about the ending from one perspective, but if this last shot wasn't in there, there would be no major reason why this episode would make a great finale. I'm not saying that its automatically a bad finale (with or without the He-man/Teela ending) and I could live with it if this episode is chosen as the last on the DVD sets, but it really seems to be over-rated as such, IMO.

To me, taking into consideration that the episodes were mostly stand alone anyway and there wasn't that much of an overal story arc, the perfect finale to the series would be an episode that showcases as many of the characters as possible who were in the "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" (this isn't some 100% rule, and other characters could still be there, but they should be more familiar ones), and have it be a normal battle between He-man, Skeletor, and their respective people/creatures that they work with. It would be nice if it were to be a particularly compelling scheme of Skeletor's that they are trying to stop, but it should still be more of a 'classic' battle with the more familiar characters. I just see that as being a particularly suitable ending for this particular series, but that's just my 2 cents on the matter.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 28, 2005 at 01:35pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ite
    "Assault on the Hive" is more likely, since it happens after "Day of the Flowers", which makes a reference to the Monstroids, so that Christmas Special comes before that.

krosfyah says it right...

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah
    TPWP ... gives that psychological feeling of finality the way it ends. The Cold Zone is just another episode.
    Perfectly worded, krosfyah. That's exactly the point I was trying to make in posting this poll!

Dynamo makes some good points...

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    Well, I did not vote because I am not really familiar with "The Cold Zone" episode (if I ever saw it, it was probably like 20 years ago and I don't remember much about it), so I really can't make a fair assessment of it.
    Same here: I don't remember TCZ at all...

Even though "The Problem with Power" is a single, 1/2 hour episode, it still just has more of a cliffhanger-y feel to it, IMO, and really should be followed up by further adventures since Adam has kind of had a new 'rebirth' into being He-man after retreiving his sword.
    I can understand this POV totally. I like the idea that this ep is the "death, then rebirth of He-Man." Can we compromIse in our thinking though, and view the "adventures" that happen after the rebirth as continuing *outside* the series?

Another reason that I don't like the idea of this being the final show is because it focuses too much around this Emperor Tanarak (I most likely spelled that name incorrectly). Skeletor is there and is a threat, but not the threat.
    There are quite a few season two episodes that don't have Skeletor in them AT ALL! In the documentaries, the writers and directors all talk about how they used Skeletor way too much in Season One and had to move the focus to other villains in order to keep the series and its storylines fresh. So, the Skeletor issue is moot, since he at least appears in this episode!

And if I recall correctly (its been a while since I watched this one), none of his usual warriors (i.e. Beastman, Mer-man, Evil Lyn, Trap Jaw, Tri-klops, etc) even make an appearance in this episode. He-man is in it quite a bit, along with many of the typical good guys, but even many of those characters (with the exception of He-man) seem to almost take a back seat to this Emperor Tanarak guy and his warriors that are coming through the portal, IMO. Plus, while there is nothing wrong with the background design, too much of the episode occurs around the location of this portal/gateway that these warriors are coming through, and therefore is not occuring around more familiar local like Grayskull or Snake Mountain, which only happened for very small parts of the episode.
    OK, you got me with these points. The only defense I can mount is this: The world isn't perfect. In a perfect world, Mattel would have allowed Filmation to create a fitting finale episode that encorporated all the major heroes and villains fighting big, climactic battles in as many familar locales as possible. Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect, so a true "final episode" was never produced. Instead, we have to work with what we've got, and what we've got is "The Problem With Power."

The only thing about PWP that even seems remotely like a finale, IMO, is where He-man carries Teela off into the sunset [...] but if this last shot wasn't in there, there would be no major reason why this episode would make a great finale.
    I have to respectfully disagree here. There are aspects of this episode other than the last shot that make TPWP the best candidate for a finale. The staging and look of the scene where He-Man throws his Power Sword into the abyss is unlike any other scene in any other episode before or after it in the series. Where else has "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" seemed so much like the great tragedies of Shakespeare?

Also, there is the particularly inspired vocal performance of John Erwin that sets this ep apart from the rest. He-Man's voice never sounds as heavy, sad, serious and just plain different as it does here. Indeed, after the accident, our hero sounds like a completely different man altogether!

To put it in a broader sense, I believe TPWP should be the finale because of the way it conveys/explores human emotion. That, along with featuring such themes as life, death, rebirth, redemption, remorse, and responsability make it a worthy choice with which to end the series. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ite
    Actually, He-Mans last Filmation appearance was in the POP episode Assault on the Hive
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    The people have spoken:
    23-2 FOR "The Problem with Power"
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Hoowdy

While I would like to see TPWP as the last ep I don't like the fact of TCZ being in the 110 slot yet having 130 written by it.

Even though I know it does not make any difference.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris80
    I can understand this POV totally. I like the idea that this ep is the "death, then rebirth of He-Man." Can we compromIse in our thinking though, and view the "adventures" that happen after the rebirth as continuing *outside* the series?
    Possbily, yes. But I still feel it would be nice to see his adventures go on. Altough, I guess one way to look at it would be that "The Secret of the Sword" is his next adventure after this, but I would still like to see a few more normal episodes after TPWP, but that's just me.

There are quite a few season two episodes that don't have Skeletor in them AT ALL! In the documentaries, the writers and directors all talk about how they used Skeletor way too much in Season One and had to move the focus to other villains in order to keep the series and its storylines fresh. So, the Skeletor issue is moot, since he at least appears in this episode!
    Well, that's fine that there are episodes that Skeletor is not in. I am not saying that he has to be in every episode. It's good that they change things up a bit and do something different here and there to keep things interesting. I just feel that for the final episode, it should really focus more on Skeletor as the main villain, since he has been He-man's primary foe throughout the series.

OK, you got me with these points. The only defense I can mount is this: The world isn't perfect. In a perfect world, Mattel would have allowed Filmation to create a fitting finale episode that encorporated all the major heroes and villains fighting big, climactic battles in as many familar locales as possible. Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect, so a true "final episode" was never produced. Instead, we have to work with what we've got, and what we've got is "The Problem With Power."
    To put it in a broader sense, I believe TPWP should be the finale because of the way it conveys/explores human emotion. That, along with featuring such themes as life, death, rebirth, redemption, remorse, and responsability make it a worthy choice with which to end the series. Thoughts?
    You do make a lot of good points, I will grant you that. I still feel that its more of a cliffhangery, in the middle kind of thing, but that's just me. There are a lot of heavy themes in the episode, but that doesn't automatically make it the best candidate for the finale, IMO. I don't think a sitcom should end with an episode dealing with serious issues over drug use, for example, but having it in the middle of the series would be ok.

And again, Its not like I'm going to kick and scream if they put this as the final episode. I still stick by a lot of my previous points and here's kind of another issue I have with this whole thing...

This set is being put in 'continuity' order which is not spot on with either production or airing order, and I am fine with that. For example, "Diamond Ray" was produced forth, but aired first and was meant to be the first episode. Or take the two episodes with Orko's uncle. In the original order, his uncle's return episode came before the episode where he makes his 'first' appearance. So, putting those in order makes sense. Filmation had such a schedule since they were producing more episodes in a year than most shows do, having multiple scripts being written at once, then going into production, then airing, and many things naturally got mixed up from their 'intended' order just due to how incredibly hecktic this all was. So, to try and fix the continuity they way it was meant to be (or as close to it as we can possibly figure) makes plenty of sense.

But, 'The Problem With Power' was not the final episode... it was not produced last, it did not air last, and it was never specifically meant to be the last show. So really, this whole idea of the series ending with He-man carrying Teela off into the sunset (and with thisepisode as a whole) is really a fan-created concept, and was never meant to be the way things end. We can pretend that its the final episode in the continuity all that we want, but that will still just be wishful thinking more so than the actual way things were meant to be, like in the case with Orko's uncle episodes.

Now, I want to reiterate that if it appears as the final episode, I'm not going to be mad. I know I elaborated my point quite a bit, but I'm just making a point, and its not something that I feel so strongly about that I will lose sleep over it or anything. So, don't read more into my comments than what is actually there. If they put it as the final episode on the DVD set, that's fine, but I'm not going to read anything more into it than I would otherwise, and I just basically shrug my shoulders with indifference at the whole thing. I'm just pointing out that this is really more the result of fan based wishfulness more so than truely correcting the continuity problems.

And even as poetic as He-man and Teela together at the end may be, we know it can't last very long since we see them in SOTS and in other appearances on She-ra and they aren't together like that at all in that series.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Don't really care one way or the other just so long as they're released
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."