Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: He-Ro and the Masters of the Universe?

  1. #26
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    He-Man and She-Ra were able to take those aspects and make them something great and entertaining. He-Ro Son of He-Man was neither great nor entertaining -- that is the main issue. He-Ro can re-use whatever he wants, but unless it is using it in a way that makes you say "cool!", it is just unoriginal.
    But you say...

    Had we seen He-Ro in motion, my opinion may be different. However, all we have to go by is that series bible and it is nothing to write home about.
    I think that second quote says it all. We never saw it in motion. We never even saw a script or any actual storyline developed beyond the basic layout of the show. So, to give the He-Ro series such a hard time and call it completely unoriginal seems rather unfair since we don't really know how original it would have been had it come to be.

    The He-Ro bible was at least original in the sense that there were some new characters planned that would have been in the forefront of the series and there were a lot of major redesigns of existing characters (whether or not you like the designs is one thing, but they were original on many levels).

    Now, let's say that the 200X series never actually came to light and all we had to go on was a 'bible' of what the characters look like and what the basic plots would have been, then it would actually seem even less original than this He-ro concept since it would probably come across as a total rehash of the original 80s series with almost nothing new being brought to the table. Most all of the main characters, and even secondary ones, were from the old toon and/or toyline and their looks were more of an update rather than redesign (with the exception of the Sorceress). Sure, there were some original characters like The Faceless One, but his role on the show was so small that it likely wouldn't have even made it into the 'bible.'

    Your whole arguement is that you don't find the bible 'entertaining.' But its not really meant to be entertaining as much as its meant to be informative as to the layout and plot of the show. It's an outline.. a blueprint. It is not the final product and is therefore not as entertaining as the final product would be. It would be like the difference between looking at a fancy sports car that is on a car lot ready to buy and then seeing it when it is only a shell on an assembly line. It is probably cool looking and would seem fun to drive when you look at the completed product. But when you see it when its only half finished (if even that), then its not going to seem very exciting.

    You are entitled to your opinion, but it just seems like you are basing your opinion on He-Ro lacking something that a blueprint/layout of the show's concept simply would not have anyway. To compare the originality and entertaining aspect of the fully completed series of He-man and She-ra to a basic outline of the He-Ro show and expect it to hold up as well is like trying to make a logical comparison between an apple and a 2X4 piece of lumber.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  2. #27
    He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    I think that second quote says it all. We never saw it in motion. We never even saw a script or any actual storyline developed beyond the basic layout of the show. So, to give the He-Ro series such a hard time and call it completely unoriginal seems rather unfair since we don't really know how original it would have been had it come to be.
    It is not unfair at all. There is no reason why I or anyone else has to give it the benefit of the doubt that in motion it would have become something spectacular. All we have is the bible to go by, and one has to base their opinion on that solely. There is no "what if" situation that is allowed here.

    Your whole arguement is that you don't find the bible 'entertaining.' But its not really meant to be entertaining as much as its meant to be informative as to the layout and plot of the show.
    I know how series bibles work. If the series bible is boring, who wants to pick up the show? The bible can be a selling point along with your pilot script. In fact, a rule of thumb is to create a series bible for yourself before you even begin on a script to flesh everything out. The bible should be engaging, it is not just a simple outline of "He-Man - Main hero who has the power of Grayskull" etc.

    It is not the final product and is therefore not as entertaining as the final product would be.
    Or the final product would be even less entertaining.

    You are entitled to your opinion, but it just seems like you are basing your opinion on He-Ro lacking something that a blueprint/layout of the show's concept simply would not have anyway.
    I guess you just haven't read any really good series bibles. *shurg* I do not like the concept of He-Ro Son of He-Man at all. How do I know this? I read the only material available - the series bible.

    As I said above, I am not going to base my comments on a "what if" situation. Sure, in motion, there is the possibility that the series could be really cool and that I would have loved it. I fully admit that. However, if I was reading just this bible, I would have passed on the series or required there to be a major overhaul on not only the concept, but some of the character designs as well.

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  3. #28
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    As I said above, I am not going to base my comments on a "what if" situation. Sure, in motion, there is the possibility that the series could be really cool and that I would have loved it. I fully admit that. However, if I was reading just this bible, I would have passed on the series or required there to be a major overhaul on not only the concept, but some of the character designs as well.
    Well, ok, I see your point. I still feel differently, but I get where your are coming from.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  4. #29
    He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    Well, ok, I see your point. I still feel differently, but I get where your are coming from.
    Thank you for the friendly banter though, I was so bored at work.

    But, in anycase, I am glad both sides are represented. It is always good to hear why someone likes the idea and why someone is against it.

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  5. #30
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    Thank you for the friendly banter though, I was so bored at work.
    No problem.

    Work Sucks!!!
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior Grimbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,057
    One question:
    Since He-ro is a sequel to old MOTU, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO TRAP JAW!?????
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

  7. #32
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR
    I loved the idea of King Adam married to Teela, but Teela needed to be the Sorceress, us old fans needed that promise paid.
    Judging from her behavior in "Teela's Triumph", I don't think she's in any great hurry to take The Sorceress's job.

  8. #33
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    14,946
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    So, again, you see not an original idea. Oh look a similiar fate happened to Adora's kid that happened to her. The whole thing is just bunk.

    If they are going to completely revamp He-Man into an entire brand new series, it had better be better than good.
    No I see it as circular fate. What happened to her will happen to her child. But that's assuming they keep that tidbit, personally I would change it and make Gray (its a much better name then Dare) He-Man and Teela's actual child.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    It is not unfair at all. There is no reason why I or anyone else has to give it the benefit of the doubt that in motion it would have become something spectacular. All we have is the bible to go by, and one has to base their opinion on that solely. There is no "what if" situation that is allowed here.

    I know how series bibles work. If the series bible is boring, who wants to pick up the show? The bible can be a selling point along with your pilot script. In fact, a rule of thumb is to create a series bible for yourself before you even begin on a script to flesh everything out. The bible should be engaging, it is not just a simple outline of "He-Man - Main hero who has the power of Grayskull" etc.

    Sure, in motion, there is the possibility that the series could be really cool and that I would have loved it. I fully admit that. However, if I was reading just this bible, I would have passed on the series or required there to be a major overhaul on not only the concept, but some of the character designs as well.
    You your self just said that you think it is possible that it might have been good but that you would want to see the concept refined. That right there is a "what if" situation. We are all in a "what if" situation so you can't say that "there is no "what if" situation that is allowed here". You admit that the concept is interesting and has the potential to be good but needs polish, I think that's what everyone is saying. I don't think anybody is saying it is gold as is.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  9. #34
    He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,457
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR
    You your self just said that you think it is possible that it might have been good but that you would want to see the concept refined. That right there is a "what if" situation. We are all in a "what if" situation so you can't say that "there is no "what if" situation that is allowed here". You admit that the concept is interesting and has the potential to be good but needs polish, I think that's what everyone is saying. I don't think anybody is saying it is gold as is.

    Whoa, slow down there buddy. I never said that "the concept is interesting and has the potential". When I said revamped and rehauled, I meant something major.

    You completely misunderstood my comment on "what if". With this we can only comment on the series bible. I admitted that yes, there is a chance that if the series was made it would have been great. However, that is a "what if" situation so we cannot think or base own opinion on that. It never happened. It has no basis in fact. The series bible, however, we are free to analyze.

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  10. #35
    The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,332
    All I can say from reading the series bible last night is that all i got from it was introducing Bravestarr(Dare) to take the sword of power from Adam part time. And Battle-bird? We were whinning to Mattel for all the Battle- names we got on the vehicles weren't we?

    Yeah, next idea please...
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •