Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Iceman and Gbagok Present: The Slave City

" Sorceress of Night " evil-lyn4ever's Avatar
    You guys have done a awesome job! Its always exciting to see when you do new stuff on here. Its one of the reasons I keep coming back.
    "Evil Lyn Sorceress of Night."

Quote Originally Posted by evil-lyn4ever
    Its one of the reasons I keep coming back.
    I agree with you.

Is it just me, or does Lodar look like he could be the "Icons of Evil" version of Spikor. He's got the right skin tone, his current appearance is covered with Spikes on his armor, and since his face is covered, we can't rell if he has a human face, or a more animalistic appearance like we'd expect from Spikor.

I realize Lodar is from the original mini-comic... I just like the re-design here, and happened to notice some similarities.

Either way, all the characters have amazing designs (as always).

Great job guys!
    Last edited by roykop; November 16, 2005 at 09:36pm.
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

I can safely say that Lodar is not Spikor. (I would never allow it! )

Thanks for the support guys and gals Im glad most of you enjoy it. Obviously it'll never be everybody's cup of tea but we aim to please in the best way we think possible. I personally feel that what we try to produce here is what most fans would have wanted the toon to be like.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Widget
    Great Story and great art!
    I liked the Battle Armor He-Man and the Enforcers Corps verry much, but I still have a question.
    Can someone post a picture of Lodar from the Minicomics? I cannot remember him.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwammhorn
    Great Story and great art!
    I liked the Battle Armor He-Man and the Enforcers Corps verry much, but I still have a question.
    Can someone post a picture of Lodar from the Minicomics? I cannot remember him.
    Here's a pic of Lodar on the cover of "Slave City"
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

Widget
    Thanks

now that I know the original Story I have mor respect for your work. You rock the hell out of the Mattel and Cartoon Guys.

Is the next Story based on a Minicomic too?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwammhorn
    Is the next Story based on a Minicomic too?
    Not exactly. It's loosely based on a story from the MOTU magazine, which you can read here:
    http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/...tu_uk_51.shtml

We're not following it as closely as we followed Slave City though.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Great story lads, great story!

There's a few little things wich kinda bothered me at the end however:

Marlena knowing that Adam is He-man?? You foo! That one was reserved for when he leaves Eternia for the far, far future!

And... Regal Battle Armour He-mans patched together pants! It just doesn't seem to rime quite right...

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    It's loosely based on a story from the MOTU magazine, which you can read here:
    http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/...tu_uk_51.shtml

We're not following it as closely as we followed Slave City though.
    Awesome! I love that story! I was wondering if that was where you got the idea from. I have the swedish-edition comic! It's one of those many Ehapa stories wich blended the Filmation-toon and a smidgen of Mini-comic into perfection! Orko's magic is a corner-stone for He-mans journey in that story. Say... Now I have to find info on the guy that pencilled the Book of Evil, he was really good.

I wonder... any of you think that Emiliano may know of this gentleman?

Although seriously, is He-Manís costume really that distracting? Itís like right out of a gladiator movie. Should I not adapt the Stout movie costume for She-Ra then like I had planned?
    {begins to break sweat}

I.. see no problem with going trough with that adaption...

As for He-mans costume, well, it does look as if he's got NO 0_0 underwear whatsoever. That joke about the dingling that someone made might not be all that far off..
    Last edited by Predabot; November 17, 2005 at 10:53am.

I cannot believe he-man's outfit is this controversial

The guy wears a loin cloth most of the time...

I think it's great seeing the strongest man in the universe get some variation in his wardrobe, bring it on!

Everything...Wow...Everything...Wow!

I have no words. It's all so atmospheric.

I just finished going through my S1, V1 DVDs a few days ago and "A Tale of Two Cities" was by far my absolute favorite. I was watching it again last night for the fifth time and to see this updated version is quite a treat.

Outstanding work!

And I think hefty said it best...

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76
    SEXIEST HE-MAN OUTFIT EVER!
    Seriously!
    I think He-Man's gladiator armor should stick around just a little longer. I had no problem with it at all.

Should I not adapt the Stout movie costume for She-Ra then like I had planned? Cause thatís a solid PG-13.
    Good thing I decided to give Rana some underwear.
    Please tell me you're not teasing. I love Stout's interpretation and to see your version of it would be wonderful. That and the possiblity of She-Ra/Adora in a future story makes me positively giddy.
    Last edited by Abby; November 19, 2005 at 02:02am.
    LOIS: "And one other thing: You're not working with me, you're working for me. I call the shots, I ask the questions. You are low man, I am top banana and that's the way I like it, comprende?

CLARK: "You like to be on top. Got it."

LOIS: "Don't push me Kent. You are way out of your league."

I should have replied earlier, but I didn't get round to it. Anyways, I love this story. It's a lot better then the return to anwat Gar (didn't like that one that much, sorry. ). The thing i like most is the design you guys did for the minicomic characters and the BA He-man.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Dude it was brilliant!

As for the complainers screw'em this was great don't change your way of doing things. I for one could use some pg-13 in the next story.

Great work boys!!!!
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex-Gar
    About the corny names...uhm...He-Man. yeah. nuff said. Most people who've done fic here don't adhere to MOTU name creation as it is anyway.
    There's a Name Creation method?

Zodak and Zodac? It's not that confusing. This paid respect to what came before in the original series and the 200X version. How does a name like Christopher fit in MOTU?
    The same way Duncan, Marlena, Jeremy, Lyn, and especially Adam do.

PG images? These guys aren't getting paid to do this, and I feel they should be free to do what they like. I've never seen gbagok do anything 'tasteless' or 'offensive' in art. Besides, it's not like He-Man's dork is hanging out.
    gbagok is pushing the line. You can plainly see that one move by a weapon and the story goes X.

Why are the reptilians the first to be slaughtered? Failure to adapt due to their "sleep, eat, mate, fight" small brained behavior. Just a theory.
    The same could be said for the Eternians.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo
    Erm SMP... it's Motu.
    That doesn't answer anything.

Wait, they look too much alike or not enough alike? Make up YOUR mind! I notice you donít have problems with the identical Targa and Oberon guards. *senses a double standard!*
    You didn't answer everything! You at least put effort to make different versions of the Targan and Oberan guards. There's only one Repton guard.

I like corn. Mmmm. Corn. (Homer drueling noise)

Aw, only if you canít tell the difference between a C and a K! Besides, one is long dead, itís not like youíll have to introduce them at parties.
    Sorry, but Kobra Kahn was naked in the toys, cartoon, and comic too
    SnakeMen are different. They don't have the constantly censored parts thatr Eternians have.

Although seriously, is He-Manís costume really that distracting? Itís like right out of a gladiator movie. Should I not adapt the Stout movie costume for She-Ra then like I had planned? Cause thatís a solid PG-13.
    Good thing I decided to give Rana some underwear.
    MotU was designed for all ages. Thus, MotU Stories must reflect that.

Obviously reptilians suck! Good or evil, they get their tails kicked.
    I resent that. The Reptilians had Preternia under peace and tranquility until the Eternians took over. Now there are wars and slavery because of that.

Planning your own bid for power, eh?
    Of course not! I just think that if anything can work, Serpos has to do it, nothing else.

Well do you want us to do the expected thing?
    Define what's under "Expected".

Wait, Tom Clancy doesnít write fantasy?
    No he didn't, but if Tom Clancy did write one, he'd use that name.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj
    anything else you would like to complain about?
    Oh, Definitely:
    As for the complainers screw'em this was great don't change your way of doing things.
    Comments like this are exactly what's wrong here. Artists NEED more complainers and less praisers; because THAT's how artists get better. Constantly saying "This is awesome!" "You are the best!" "More!" And other blind praises only inflate egos, not improve artistic ability!

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest
    There's a Name Creation method?

The same way Duncan, Marlena, Jeremy, Lyn, and especially Adam do.

Oh, Definitely:Comments like this are exactly what's wrong here. Artists NEED more complainers and less praisers; because THAT's how artists get better. Constantly saying "This is awesome!" "You are the best!" "More!" And other blind praises only inflate egos, not improve artistic ability!

--SMP
    Ok...name creation for MOTU can range from creative choice of words to something that applies to their "special feature". Or it can be based on something as simple as how you pronounce the name. Aliteration works too.

Let's take Kayle of Snake Mountain by StarBlazerM31. She's an evil Skele-babe basically...I thought Kayle...sounds like K-ILL. Maybe she's suffering from some love sickness with Keldor...or has mental illness that makes her sadistic...I don't know, didn't create the character.

Here's one.

Zodac=Zodiac. See how that plays out? The Zodiac? Cosmic enforcer? I like names like Zodon cause it plays off of what we already know.

Skeletor=Skeleton. See how that worked?

Clawful= Big Claw + Awful character.

Here's one off the fly---Croc-O-Dial: Croc is a crocadile type creature...loosely based on Whiplash. The Dial refers to her specialty/weapon.

Sure, Man-At-Arms is known as Duncan...but they didn't sell the name Duncan, friend, it was Man-At-Arms.

Pretty easy to catch on, but it's not something most refer to when doing fan fic and that's forgivable (though I'd like it if people did try to make up stuff that fit into MOTU).

Now this bit about Artist needing more "complainers"? Hey, I saw the toe mistake after you pointed out. Nice. Uhm, but considering there is no "bible" to go off of in re-designing old into new, I think we can let a toe more or a toe less pass on a reptile design.

I could go on into detail in praising what I enjoyed about the work, but honestly I don't have the time (who does)...the lighting and colors, the inspiration and or influence for the art..the easy read of the story and how while "Slave City" isn't the most original title, the execution of the content is very exceptional! This is a unique contribution to MOTU and I'm all for it. Do I have a crit? Just one really, I'd like to see a battle/action pin up once in a while.

I don't really understand your gripe, but hey, if you got a better story and or art, drop it, I'd like to read it and I'm sure others would too.
    Artists whose work you need to see to believe:
    gbagok----buffalo bill-man-----boo----Sllohcin
    Writers whose work is immortalized:
    catslyn-----eideann-----------divia

my hat off to you ladies and gentleman, truly inspiring work.

Scarlet Symbiote
    Thanks guys, this story is one of the most exciting things...Scratch that, THE MOST exciting thing I've read in at least a year, visually and phonically.

It's their story. They can do with it whatever they want.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly
    It's their story. They can do with it whatever they want.
    Agreed. And if people don't like it, well then they shouldn't read it. As I stated before, i didn't like the Anwat Gar thing. Did you see me complaining? I think not.

Oh, Definitely:Comments like this are exactly what's wrong here. Artists NEED more complainers and less praisers; because THAT's how artists get better. Constantly saying "This is awesome!" "You are the best!" "More!" And other blind praises only inflate egos, not improve artistic ability!

--SMP
    Correction... Artists couldn't care less about "complainers"
    Artists don't need "complainers" to improve in thier craft.
    Artists can ignore the "complainers" all they want and have every right to.

Artists NEED more honest critiques.

There's a huge difference between a "complainer" and a "critique".

With honest critiques, an artist will grow and improve in his or her craft.
    Listening to complaints and other's subjective opinions can only confuse and discourage an artist, and will often do more damage than good.

Artists also need praise, they need to know that what they are doing is being appreciated. I agree that they don't need a lot of praise most of the time, as that definately does lead to big egos.
    I also agree that this board tends to give out too much praise to just anyone. However reality check here... that's in part of what makes this board so friendly and why there are so many "friends" here.

So in my opinion, there must be a healthy balance of both positive praise and honest critique for an artist to expect to go on and improve and grow. And that it should be used with the artist in mind... is that artist new to art? Or a seasoned artist? Are they improving their craft? If so that should absolutely be praised. Or is it a seasoned artist that is just doing the same old painting over and over again? They probably need some more honest critiques methinks.

In the end... ask yourself when you go to dish out your opinion... is it just your opinion? Or are you honestly trying to help the artist by giving an honest critique?

Because who is to say that just your opinion is so much holier than the artist's who worked, sweated, bled and labored on the art? Hmmmm?
    Last edited by Baena; November 20, 2005 at 10:15am.

Living in Laker Village Uncle Dorko's Avatar
    He-Man's cotsume isnt that much more revealing than the standard fuzzy underpants costume. I don't see what the fuss is about.
    "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Dr. Richard Dawkins

First, SMP, Iíd like you to list the names we created for this story that you think are cornier than Stinkor, Stridor, Spikor, or Man-E-Faces.

gbagok is pushing the line. You can plainly see that one move by a weapon and the story goes X.
    I am not pushing the line. Heís not going commando under there, sorry if thatís all you can imagine. Under the main torso armor, heís wearing a neck-to-groin leotard held together by those black staps, and itís for maximum agility.

That doesn't answer anything.
    It answers your whole complaint about the names, particularly those ending in OR.

You didn't answer everything! You at least put effort to make different versions of the Targan and Oberan guards. There's only one Repton guard.
    I take offense to your ignoring that I drew three distinctly different Repton guards. Iím sorry that I was not anal retentive enough to label ďGuardĒ on the Reptal Rider and the one named only as a ďRepton.Ē Also, those are scales, not lips. And your bias against any potentially human features on a Repton is most distressing.

SnakeMen are different. They don't have the constantly censored parts thatr Eternians have.
    I guess they are different to call them Men when they apparently have no genitalia.

I think our story does. Most children donít have filthy imaginations like you have apparently. And if they do, they could probably make the same point about the regular He-Man wearing that pouch over his loin cloth like those worn with a Scottish Kilt to keep it from doing a Marilyn Monroe and revealing the family jewels.

I resent that. The Reptilians had Preternia under peace and tranquility until the Eternians took over. Now there are wars and slavery because of that.

Of course not! I just think that if anything can work, Serpos has to do it, nothing else.

Fundamentalist propaganda, spread by the power hungry religious fanatics of Serpos who are trying to rewrite history. Your Peopleís well-documented intolerance of non-snake peoples proves your true nature, as does your persecution of five-toed Reptons. Will you hate on Snake Face for not have a more pronounced snout too? Next youíll blame Serposís numerous defeats on King Hsss and his medallion.

Define what's under "Expected".
    I think anything that starts with your own words ďI expectedĒ counts.

No he didn't, but if Tom Clancy did write one, he'd use that name.
    Cool, then the guys who used it for the MOTU magazine could probably sue him. At least our use of the title is a deliberate homage.

Oh, Definitely:Comments like this are exactly what's wrong here. Artists NEED more complainers and less praisers; because THAT's how artists get better. Constantly saying "This is awesome!" "You are the best!" "More!" And other blind praises only inflate egos, not improve artistic ability! --SMP[/QUOTE]
    Any feedback at all is welcome by me, but Baena is right: valid criticisms are helpful, but not negativity for the sake of negativity. Complaining about names ending in -OR in a MOTU fan fic just seems silly to me. But sometimes, there is just no accounting for Taste, hence the reason not even the official stuff is liked by all fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby
    Please tell me you're not teasing. I love Stout's interpretation and to see your version of it would be wonderful. That and the possiblity of She-Ra/Adora in a future story makes me positively giddy.
    I'm not teasing, but I'm applying it to a character who is not She-Ra exactly. It's more like when I used the Movie Sorceress's design for Kodak Ungor (sorry if I still don't have that spelling right).
    Last edited by gbagok; November 20, 2005 at 02:10pm.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I'm not teasing, but I'm applying it to a character who is not She-Ra exactly. It's more like when I used the Movie Sorceress's design for Kodak Ungor (sorry if I still don't have that spelling right).
    Say WHAT?? Hmm... the plot thickens..

Now, please comment on my nit-picks! I want the same recognition SMP got!

Fundamentalist propaganda, spread by the power hungry religious fanatics of Serpos who are trying to rewrite history. Your Peopleís well-documented intolerance of non-snake peoples proves your true nature, as does your persecution of five-toed Reptons. Will you hate on Snake Face for not have a more pronounced snout too? Next youíll blame Serposís numerous defeats on King Hsss and his medallion.
    That was great.
    Artists whose work you need to see to believe:
    gbagok----buffalo bill-man-----boo----Sllohcin
    Writers whose work is immortalized:
    catslyn-----eideann-----------divia

my hat off to you ladies and gentleman, truly inspiring work.

That was great.

And kinda scary...

I think SMPís points were mostly well intended, and I appreciate his perspective on the devotees of Serpos and all. Itís good to know not all Snake People are devoted to Hsss, as thatís something that comes up in our next story. And I sure hope he can clarify that there are indeed Snake Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot
    Now, please comment on my nit-picks! I want the same recognition SMP got!
    Okay, sure.
    Marlena knowing that Adam is He-man?? You foo! That one was reserved for when he leaves Eternia for the far, far future!
    Well assuming that Adam suddenly drops that bomb on them before leaving home in the new continuity as well, Iíd say Marlena plays dumb to prevent Randor from feeling totally lied to by everyone. The obligations she speaks of in Slave City might have something to do with it too. But also, I feel Marlena was hinted to have known the secret in the Filmation series before NA tried to ruin that, and Iíd like to make Marlena interesting again as she was far too bland in the new cartoon. This is the mother of the Most Powerful Man in the Universe. She should be at least as interesting as Duneís Lady Jessica. I might not be good enough to accomplish that, but thatís what Iíd like to see anyway. And I think her knowing the secret all along is a big step in that direction.
    And... Regal Battle Armour He-mans patched together pants! It just doesn't seem to rime quite right...
    He may be more regal, but heís still based on a barbarian theme. This felt to me like the ideal alternative to bare-legged He-Man in order to preserve the rugged look weíve seen on He-Man and King Grayskull so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    And kinda scary...
    Sorry for that. Just having fun.