Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about the early minicomics?

Widget

How do you feel about the early minicomics?

Hey, guys. I'm curious what you think about the early minicomics and the other early He-Man stories. Do any of you think they can be harmonized with the basic storyline that was part of the cartoon? Even though I like these early stories, I don't think they can be thought of as having really happened because they have too many elements that were later dropped from the cartoon. For example, the two halves of the Power Sword concept was never part of the cartoon, so I think any stories with that idea have to be considered as never having happened.

My basic rule is that if it contradicts the cartoon, it didn't really happen. For example, the minicomics gave different origin stories for Man-E-Faces, Roboto, and Modulok, so I don't think those stories really count. Even as a kid, I took this approach when I saw things that didn't fit with the cartoon. Does anyone else have ideas about this?

I love the mini comics!!!
    Especially the concept of them.. I really really wish the 200X figures had them!
    In Memory of Oscar
    May 2000 - September 23, 2005
    In Memory of Jetta
    2001- September 21, 2008

the early minis were pretty darn good. I didn't like the power vest idea though, as a kid i did, but now i don't.

the way I see it, some of these stories are adventures he-man HAS gone on or at least they make reference to adventures he has had, but over all the stories to me are myths, tales told about he-man through out Eternia, remember no one knows the real secrets of Grayskull but a chosen few, the power sword halves thing could easily be misinterpreted legend combining the idea of skeletors twin swords (from the new toon) with the sword intended for adora.

So basically when something doesn't fit the canon I like - (which is an amalgam of all the stuff we have been witness to) I say it's either a myth/legend, or it's a different point of view.

for example, the holy bible (not the series bible) has gospels according to four different people. we get the same essence of the story from each of them, but they are told differently, different things are focused on, different things are ignored. etc. the main idea, He-man is a hero to protect Eternia from evil, Skeletor wants Eternia. Grayskull is special and a focal point for some reason.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The comics were the coolest, but sometimes they didn't make much sense, I remember one where He-man was the leader of a cavemen tribe or something and obtains his powers from the armor Teela gave to him (no Adam around), by the way Teela is green

I remember it because it was my favorite one I'll try to find a copy on eBay.
    Can't rain all the time...

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    I liked the mini comics mostly for their artwork. The earliest ones illustrated by Alfredo Alcala were beautiful. I wish Mattel would gather up all of the mini comics and publish them in one volume. Heck! It could be a limited edition thing for mail order. If they'll take a Post Office Money Order, I'm buying!
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Mini comics ruled, one of those unsolved mysteries of early life, where did all these things go?

I mean I remember them as a kid yet have no idea when or why or how they disappeared.

Much like over 10 of my He-figures arms, they disappeared never to be seen again..

Well, when I was a kid, I really didn't like comics that much. Actually, comics meant nothing to me. Even when I first got my original He-Man toys, I sort of chucked the mini comics aside. They layed around for a while, and I guess I was bored or whatever, and I started reading them. I liked them after that, and read every new one I got from then on. They were really cool. They still are.

I loved the minicomics, especially the four original ones that came with the first wave of figures. I remember being fascinated by them - they really fired up my imagination.

While I enjoy them and think it's cool they were included with the figures, I'm not really as hardcore about the mini-comic stories as some members. (But I do think there were some pretty dern interesting elements in many of them) I'm more of a Filmation boy.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I Love 'em!

I especially love the art in them. Alfredo P. Alcala's the MAN!

He captured our hero in such an intricate way. Of all the artists that have EVER worked on Masters art, I'd have to say Alcala is in the top three of my favorites and most influential. (the other two would be William George and Earl Norem for anyone that cares to know.)

The stories were a bit... fru fru and disconnected at times. (but you get that in Filmation and later stories as well so...) There are a few cool concepts in there that I like quite a bit.

Those first few minis were the first exposure I had to this little planet called Eternia, thus I think it's left the strongest impression for me. When I think of He-man, I think back to those stories the fastest and the most fondly.

For me, the comics came first and the Eternia that Alcala and Mark Texeira created in the first 2 volumes of Mini comics was THE Eternia I set my toy playing in. When the cartoon came it was cool and all but it deviated from what I belived MotU was at the time. I still like both though!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I thought the very early ones were neat, but it was a very "Conan" feeling story and nothing special.
    Past the 1st four, it improved, but I felt it still wasn't wasn't spectacular in terms of story.
    I didn't truly enjoy them until they fell in line with the Filmation story, which IMO, made the story unique.

If I just look at them for art, then I enjoy them much much more.
    For story, though... eh... *shrugs*

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    If I just look at them for art, then I enjoy them much much more.
    For story, though... eh... *shrugs*
    Same here. I am not a fan of Conan-He-Man.

The Filmation cartoons were the main promotional vechicle, so it was a better feeling when you could mesh the mini-comics in as much as possible with the Filmation storyline.

I still do enjoy stories that go off-base from that timeline as well, I just look at them as a separate unit.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

The look may have been "Conan" sure. Only because they were employing a great Conan artist and that was his millieu.

But the stories themselves being too Conan-esque? Nah, maybe a watered down kid version, but you take that grit out and you no longer have a Conan story... IMO.

I do agree that the stories were a bit whacked at times, but like I said above, not any more whacked than some of the Filmation stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ite
    The comics were the coolest, but sometimes they didn't make much sense, I remember one where He-man was the leader of a cavemen tribe or something and obtains his powers from the armor Teela gave to him (no Adam around), by the way Teela is green
    Darksoul, remember that these were there first, and thus they made sense by themselves. Teela with the snake armor one was a Sorceress like being in this continuity, which was a very neat idea.

For my part I really liked the sword and sorcery aspect of these, with the barbarian / caveman aspect and the much grimmer (althought kid friendly) universe.
    As everyone here, I really enjoyed the artwork (and still do). For my part these, and the early box art painting, are the best illustrated work about MOTU.
    I also liked that the villains was somehow more efficient and competent in these version, Skeletor came close to win at about every stories. The Masters of the Universe theme was also pretty cool, as they underlined that every character was a kind of demigod on his own realm, and Eternia carried thus a much more mythological feel.

My basic rule is that if it contradicts the cartoon, it didn't really happen. For example, the minicomics gave different origin stories for Man-E-Faces, Roboto, and Modulok, so I don't think those stories really count. Even as a kid, I took this approach when I saw things that didn't fit with the cartoon. Does anyone else have ideas about this?
    It's different incarnation of the same characters, both are fine with me. In fact I prefer the early minicomics world, but anyway, no one is "truer" than the other, just like they're not a real, definitive version of say, Batman.
    Batman is the 1960's kitschy TV hero, the grim 1980's Dark Knight, the cunning 1970's comics detective and so on, but it's always Batman.

Same things for MOTU, they're many incarnations (early minicomics, DC comics, Ladybird Books, Filmation Cartoons, 1980's movie, New adventure, 2002 relauch, etc.), but none is more valid than the other. Sure, they're is version we like better, and that can commonly be considered as more successful, but still, they all part of the MOTU mythos.

For example, the two halves of the Power Sword concept was never part of the cartoon, so I think any stories with that idea have to be considered as never having happened.
    Mgdavis, this aspect was let down in the cartoon version since Blackstar, the serie filmation did just before, had a similar concept that was very central to the series.
    Althought, this concept was pretty present in the early toys, and remained in about all the version of the sword (Except Thunder Punch He-Man if I remember correctly).
    Personally I always liked that part, and was pretty happy as a kid when I received Skeletor and had been able to join the two halves (snce I already had He-Man).
    Last edited by Dr Bo; November 8, 2005 at 05:43pm.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoul

I remember it because it was my favorite one I'll try to find a copy on eBay.
    Here:
    http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/...01/01-02.shtml

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo
    For me, the comics came first and the Eternia that Alcala and Mark Texeira created in the first 2 volumes of Mini comics was THE Eternia I set my toy playing in. When the cartoon came it was cool and all but it deviated from what I belived MotU was at the time. I still like both though!
    i have to agree with you. when i was a kid the mini comics were how my eternia was born the cartoon didnt have the same feel. dont get me wrong i love the toon. watched it every morning before school. and every afternoon in the latter years for power hour. but i always liked the darkness to the early mini comics.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bo
    It's different incarnation of the same characters, both are fine with me. In fact I prefer the early minicomics world, but anyway, no one is "truer" than the other, just like they're not a real, definitive version of say, Batman.
    Batman is the 1960's kitschy TV hero, the grim 1980's Dark Knight, the cunning 1970's comics detective and so on, but it's always Batman.
    Well said.

And to those who think He-man hasn't been around long enough to do that?

He has, and will be... So THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    Well said.

And to those who think He-man hasn't been around long enough to do that?

He has, and will be... So THERE!
    Well, 25 years, lot of fans, a few relaunch, millions of products, plus the absence of a single writers or "Mind" to view that everything is on the same continuity does it pretty well!
    - Dr Bo.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
    I liked the mini comics mostly for their artwork. The earliest ones illustrated by Alfredo Alcala were beautiful. I wish Mattel would gather up all of the mini comics and publish them in one volume. Heck! It could be a limited edition thing for mail order. If they'll take a Post Office Money Order, I'm buying!
    Yeah, seeing the figures MOC and the mini comic right behind them was just awesome. I always read the MC first before playing w/ the figures. Fond memories
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The bunny.
    Add him to your signature.
    Help him rule the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
    Yeah, seeing the figures MOC and the mini comic right behind them was just awesome. I always read the MC first before playing w/ the figures. Fond memories
    Same thing here, the minicomics where my first contact with MOTU right after the toys.
    I grew to like them witht the toys and minicomics, and the cartoon came later. Since I live in Quebec, it arrived even later in French (at the time I didn't understood english but watched it anyway).

Mr. Roboto idea to re-unite the early minicomics in a book would be pretty sweet, and I'm sure it could get a lot of interest. It'll have some from me for sure!
    - Dr Bo.

AYE!
    I love the old mini comics...some were great, some, not so good, but it was always a FUN read! I Especially like the 1st four (Alfredo P. Alcala's stuff rocked!) and the ones shortly after were totally cool too, some of my faves being (both story & art-wise) "The Terror Of Tri-Klops, The Menace Of Trap-Jaw, The Power Of Point Dread, The Ordeal Of Man-E-Faces, The Tale Of Teela," stuff like that, I also liked some of the last ones a lot, when they took on more of the cartoon's personality & BEYOND...like "King Of The Snakemen, & The Search For Keldor" ... These were all like having a new adventure with the figure you just bought...a ton of fun, and a way to give you some placement with your character before the cartoon aired, or if the character wasn't on the cartoon...I used to look at some of the art for hours, it was very influencial to me in my early days drawing as a child...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Bang your head!!!
    The original minis were fantastic. I loved the gritty look all the charactors had. Skeletor by far looked his best...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

As a kid, I didn't really get into the mini-comics. They were neat and all, but the TV show was my "Bible" for He-man. As an adult, I love the early minicomics, the world they present is so rich, just aching to be explored. Nowadays, it's not hard to accept them, but rather than try to reconcile them into a single continuity, I think we're far better off to use a more multiverse view, early minicomics He-man, Filmation He-man, MYP He-man, etc, all exist, and live in their own little universes, not dealing with one another.

The thing that I like about the minicomics is not just the way there's a coexistance between magic and sorcerey, but it seems to me that there was a theme of a world that existed past it's own technological Gotterdammerung; the world had destroyed itself, but pockets survived, and now magic was florishing. It's (IMHO) an amazing theme and approach. We have a more primal version of He-man, a tribal leader, a true barbarian, using technology, not magic to thwart his foes, under the command of a mystical creature, fighting a space alien. Talk about mixed genres!

havn't red all the above but i think the old minicomics are great,the stood appart from the toons, and personaly i think the mini's are better than the toons...now, not then, back then i couldn't read
    i had the the vengance of skeletor and if "red"it to pieces
    Good trades with: evil-orko, xclaw, imothep, HTFToys, Igorr, galaxy warrior, peter, LeelooMinai, sonofblaine , sathomaso, Linkku, D-man, SKY, TED675, Facelessone