Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about the early minicomics?

Evil & Armed For Combat TrapJaw's Avatar
    For me, it was the mini-comics all the way!

When I first saw the toys when I was 8 or 9, I ran shreiking through the Wal-Mart looking for my mom to show her the "Toys that look like Conan, but COOLER!!!"

At that age I was a HUGE Conan nut. My grandma would buy old issues of Savage Sword at the flea market for a dime apiece and give them to me when I'd visit. So on that cold Christmas morning when I opened my presents to find not only the COOLEST toys on earth, but the tiny books that came with them that had Alfredo Alcala illustrations that looked like Conan comics, I was done!

From that point until now, He-Man was that selfless jungle tribesman, bequeathed powerful artifacts of ancient science and arcane sorcery to serve him well as the guardian of Castle Grayskull. Skeletor was some sort of demonic extra-dimensional creature bent on conquering the universe.

I can remember going to school one Tuesday morning and my friend asking me if I'd watched the cartoon the previous afternoon. Needless to say that after school, my butt was glued in front of the TV waiting for it and when I finally watched it I was mad!

Gone was barbarian He-Man! Instead I had been given a blonde and overly tan Superman in fuzzy underwear. Mighty Battle Cat, the Fighting Tiger, was a craven, oversized, TALKING (?) housecat. And worse, Skeletor, the Lord of Destruction and his evil warriors had been rendered into hapless bumblers.

I hated that cartoon when I was a kid, constantly told my friends at school I liked the REAL He-Man, not some dopey prince that wore pink tights and turned into a magical superhero. My toy snobery began there and reached unparralled heights.

And yet I secretly watched the toon every day.

When the 2002 toys came out and I rediscovered and age old love affair with the world of Eternia, I still had a very low opinion of the old toon, until I realized just how much of it I had incorporated into my old vision of MotU.

Sure I still had barbarian He-Man running around riding his giant tiger, the united Power Sword was still the key to Castle Grayskull, and Skeletor and his crew were the most evil beings in all creation.

But...

He-Man was actually the long lost Prince Adam, found and raised by a tribe of jungle dwellers after a botched abduction attempt on he and his sister Adora.

His empathically bonded tiger companion had grown from a timid, orphaned cub to the mighty Battle Cat.

The tragic Prince Keldor, seeking a way to live up to his older brother Randor's example, strayed from the path of goodness and was tempted by the dark sorceries of Hordak, ultimately joining with the ancient demonic creature known as Skeletor.

Duncun, the Man-At-Arms, disgraced by his failure to protect the royal twins Adam and Adora, leaves the service of Randor to serve the Sorceress of Grayskull, ultimately fathering Teela, Grayskull's next guardian.

The lovable Trollan refugee Orko, though he may have been infuriatingly inept, still fought beside He-Man with the heart of a hero.

I came to realize then, that while people may talk about what is canon and what isn't, ultimately, it is the love of these characters and the world that they live in that matters most.

Some people hate the idea of He-Man being a barbarian running around with a battle axe and strength-enhancing garments, while others detest the idea of He-Man being the Power Sword wielding superhuman alter ego of Prince Adam.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Like Dr Bo said:
    It's different incarnation of the same characters, both are fine with me. In fact I prefer the early minicomics world, but anyway, no one is "truer" than the other, just like they're not a real, definitive version of say, Batman.
    I wouldn't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of He-Man simply because of their differening views on the same character. He-Fans come from different camps, and that's awesome, because when different camps are united, you get a community like this one that loves something so much, they manage to keep it alive despite the odds being greatly against them.
    "HA! If such as you are the best that this world can muster, then it is already won!" Trap-Jaw, from the Menace of Trap-Jaw!

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo
    For me, the comics came first and the Eternia that Alcala and Mark Texeira created in the first 2 volumes of Mini comics was THE Eternia I set my toy playing in. When the cartoon came it was cool and all but it deviated from what I belived MotU was at the time. I still like both though!
    I cant add much to this, my thoughts exactly. Except that I don't like the cartoon/later mini's as much. (though I was able to enjoy the 200X cartoon)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapJaw

When I first saw the toys when I was 8 or 9, I ran shreiking through the Wal-Mart looking for my mom to show her the "Toys that look like Conan, but COOLER!!!"

At that age I was a HUGE Conan nut. My grandma would buy old issues of Savage Sword at the flea market for a dime apiece and give them to me when I'd visit. So on that cold Christmas morning when I opened my presents to find not only the COOLEST toys on earth, but the tiny books that came with them that had Alfredo Alcala illustrations that looked like Conan comics, I was done!

From that point until now, He-Man was that selfless jungle tribesman, bequeathed powerful artifacts of ancient science and arcane sorcery to serve him well as the guardian of Castle Grayskull. Skeletor was some sort of demonic extra-dimensional creature bent on conquering the universe.

I can remember going to school one Tuesday morning and my friend asking me if I'd watched the cartoon the previous afternoon. Needless to say that after school, my butt was glued in front of the TV waiting for it and when I finally watched it I was mad!

Gone was barbarian He-Man! Instead I had been given a blonde and overly tan Superman in fuzzy underwear. Mighty Battle Cat, the Fighting Tiger, was a craven, oversized, TALKING (?) housecat. And worse, Skeletor, the Lord of Destruction and his evil warriors had been rendered into hapless bumblers.

I hated that cartoon when I was a kid, constantly told my friends at school I liked the REAL He-Man, not some dopey prince that wore pink tights and turned into a magical superhero. My toy snobery began there and reached unparralled heights.

:

I felt EXACTLY the same way! Around the same time as the first MOTU figures, the old Conan action figures were still at retail (who made them? I don't remember. Mego I think).

But MOTU looked so much more 'Conan' than the actual conan figures!

I love threads like this. Finding out how others played with their Masters makes me feel like we played together. Thank you TrapJaw, that was a great post.

My Eternia was also a mixture of the minicomics and the Filmation stories. I loved Filmation HE MAN's heroic booming voice (thanks, John Erwin), but I liked the rougher feel and pseudo-Shakespearian dialogue of the minicomics. Filmation TEELA had far more personality and was a capable warrior, unlike the weird "There is nothing we can do now, but wait and hope that HE MAN still lives," TEELA of the minis.

Now when I think of Eternia, I have ideas of how to make ALL of the continuities one; it requires some degree of retcon (mostly just slightly reworded dialogue), but no major changes. I plan to rework the first four minis to mesh with the MYP continuity, and will post them in the Fan-Art and Fan-Fic sections when I complete them. But for now, Good Journey!
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

I really love the Alcala minis. They were my first real exposure to comic book art. I love the anotomy, the colours and the mood and hell I even like some of the dailog: "feel the force of claws"! Ya gott love it.
    My first mini was Masks of Power that came with He-man. I read that thing sooo many time as a kid and that was all I new about MOTU as I had not recieved my next figure until 3 months later and the cartoon didn't air in Ireland until sometime later again.
    'Masks of Power' changed my life!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179
    The original minis were fantastic. I loved the gritty look all the charactors had. Skeletor by far looked his best...
    Yeah, he never looked that evil again. And as DrBo said, I didnīt get to see much of the cartoon as a kid, either so the MCs were canon to me.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The bunny.
    Add him to your signature.
    Help him rule the world.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

And yet I secretly watched the toon every day.
    Me too!!!

I loved the old comics, especially the first four. It made He-Man so primal and ancient. I first saw the commercial for He-Man, I saw the figures in dark lighting and after I saw that I had to have them!!! On Christmas day in 1982, I was the happiest boy in Camden!!! He-Man, Skeletor, Man-at-arms (I think), Wind Raider and Castle Grayskull!!!

It was great to see He-Man on television, but he was so different that the warrior that I read about in the mini-comics. Who the hell was Prince Adam? I thought it blew that He-Man wasn't his own character, a warrior who lived in a hut in the woods and came running on Battle cat to defend Grayskull, but a superhero identity. And weren't there TWO swords? Teela leads guards and has red hair? (The comics showed her as being blonde) The goddess and Zoar were mnorphed into the same person? What was up with Man-At-Arms and that moustace? (At the time I didn't realize that his body wasn't green...that it was in fact clothes). Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw weren't the skilled mofos that nearly killed most of the heroic warriors.

I'll say this about the cartoon...it really helped for the characters who never had their own mini-comic, like Evil-Lyn, Buzz-Off or Mekaneck.

When I first saw them here on the org., I didn't know what to think. The Filmation series introduced me to He-Man, and these were just so diferent. But with time I found a place for them in my heart. They are really great. Action packed, misterious (sp.?) and all. I really like them now.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax
    Me too!!!

I loved the old comics, especially the first four. It made He-Man so primal and ancient. I first saw the commercial for He-Man, I saw the figures in dark lighting and after I saw that I had to have them!!! On Christmas day in 1982, I was the happiest boy in Camden!!! He-Man, Skeletor, Man-at-arms (I think), Wind Raider and Castle Grayskull!!!

Is it just me or does everyone else here seem richer than my folks ever were?? Everytime people talk about presents here you guys seem to get this great haul of toys every christmas! CastleGrayskull? hah! It was just something i saw in the shops and could never touch! Everybody seems to get a whole truckoad of toys every christmas including humonguous playsets! I couldn't even land a Fright zone no matter how much I begged! What did I get during Christmas? 2 figures! If I was lucky, maybe 3! That's it! Never seen a playset, or even a vehicle toy during my kiddy days! This makes me feel so resentful of you guys who just seem to land Grayskull and half of Toys R Us every festive season without even asking for it!

Ok. Enough of my Whining. This world isn't always fair.

It's obvious that there are many old time, pre 'I am Adam, prince of Eternia' MOTU fans around, and that rocks!

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    What's everyone's favorite style of mini comic? Do you prefer the more comic book like style(of say, He-Man Meets Ram Man?) or picture at the top/text at the bottom?

For me, it's picture at the top, text at bottom. I loved Alfredo's art so much.

Quote and answer...
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
    What's everyone's favorite style of mini comic? Do you prefer the more comic book like style(of say, He-Man Meets Ram Man?) or picture at the top/text at the bottom?

For me, it's picture at the top, text at bottom. I loved Alfredo's art so much.

Quote and answer...

No question, full picture with the thext on the bottom.

MagicStealer
    I think the 'canon' thing's the biggest problem Classic fans have with the Pre-Classic minicomics. I've heard it a thousand times, "Well, the minis aren't canon, so to heck with them. The cartoon was better. They don't count. Yada-yada, so forth." It's really silly, because Mattel has proven time and time again that there is no canon. From Pre-Classic dark fantasy to Classic superhero adventure to the modern grungy-manga-teen-angst cocktail of the 2Ks.

None of these version really mesh, if we're going to be honest about it. King Grayskull, Fisto as Teela's father, the secret of Keldor -- none of this jibes with the Filmation show, except as an awkwardly tacked-on mess. The 2K cartoon basically junked the Disneyesque feel of the Filmation show, and nobody's calling the original show irrelevant junk or 'non-canon'. Why is that?

The assumption that one must be better than the other, because one version got a cartoon, and the other didn't is just bogus. Just like Barbie, Masters becomes whatever Mattel needs it to be at any given time. It's a commercial animal with no allegiance to any established versions of itself -- no continuity.

Mineternian or early minicomics fans, like me, are the first and oldest MOTU fandom around. While I have a great respect for the imagination the cartoon gave us, continuing this pretense that it is superior or [errrg] canon is just silly.

There is no canon.
    Last edited by MagicStealer; November 12, 2005 at 08:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro
    I love the old comics. The first 4 were my favorite.

See my lame scans:
    http://he-man.3wpages.com/he-man_1st_story.htm
    Same here, I prefer the firsts, "the barbarian age"

Evil & Armed For Combat TrapJaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro
    I love the old comics. The first 4 were my favorite.
    Despite the quote in my signature, the first four mini's were my favorites. I also really dug a couple of minis in the second run, especially The Terror of Tri-Klops. Tri-Klops was da man in that book! He was whuppin' everybody's tail in that mini! When you read that mini, you were glad that you're folks had bought you that bad mutha with the three eyes.

For some reason, The Menace of Trap-Jaw didn't do much for me. I guess that's because he was out for like a year before I ever managed to get him and I had some preconceived ideas about what his story was before I read his mini comic origin (and naturally, I preferred the origin that I made up for him rather than the minicomic's. ).
    "HA! If such as you are the best that this world can muster, then it is already won!" Trap-Jaw, from the Menace of Trap-Jaw!

For some reason, The Menace of Trap-Jaw didn't do much for me. I guess that's because he was out for like a year before I ever managed to get him and I had some preconceived ideas about what his story was before I read his mini comic origin (and naturally, I preferred the origin that I made up for him rather than the minicomic's. ).
    It was always fun to have our own stories behind the figure, after all, they were toys mean't to be played be us kids, and they're was no Mattel's canon continuity guys sat next to us to check,s thing.
    As I said before, since I'm French speaking, except for the minicomics (which I didn't read untill I was a bit older), I've been exposed to the toys for some time before I finally came to see the toon, and so, for me, Grayskull remained Skeletor Castle as I played with it.
    And the Smurfs had their village near, with Boba Fett's ship on the parking lot, just to name them...
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Mimicomics all the way. I was an early reader, got my first He-Man at 4. I vividly remember sitting at Wendy's afterward and reading "Battle in the Clouds." I feel like they give me just enough creative tinder to light my own imaginative fire.

Of course I watched the filmation cartoon and enjoyed it, but the minicomics were the framework for my play.
    Edit-apologies for the necro-ressurrection. I had an old search tab open with my new posts tab.

As it was in the beginning.... The Mini-Comics will always be THE Masters of the Universe.

I'm not sure about others but He-man was the first toy line that I actually collected from the initial release, so the mini comics encompassed my life all that time until the cartoon show came along. The original four Alcala minis' reminded me of this series of Tarzan books I had which came with cassette tapes that where read along (a la The Power of Point Dread book with record). When they morphed into comic format (with Mark Texeria) they felt like a evolution as they characters and vehicles were getting more advanced; so it felt like a natural progression (though it kept the barbarian feel in there) for the comics to do so. In some cases, the stories could be whacky and thin, but as a kid who cared? it was HE-MAN ! Things like there being a Goddess and Teela threw me off at first (until the tale of Teela) but one thing I always was saddened by was the different interpretation of Ram Man from these to what will eventually arrive Filamtion...

When Filmation came along, I was taken back slightly cause the setup changed; the barbarian aspect was diluted slightly more to a civilized atmosphere and the savagery became part of the backdrop. He-man had a secret identity and parents and there was Orko!!! Now I didn't feel this ruined the comics but it was a adjusting period but not a painful one except for such slight modifications. I was at times, indifferent cause they would introduce characters which I always wanted as figures (Strong Arm, Fang Man, Marlena, Daimar, Lizard Man, Shokoti) and thought some would've made it as they transferred over to the minis as well (ie. Garn) and never were. At this point the minis adapted the Filmation lore in which Adam and The Eternia palace became the vehicle just a little more than the battle for Castle Grayskull; meaning that since it was protected by the Sorceress and He-man from time to time a lot of the stories explored more of the planet and it's surroundings (moon/planet of Phantos) which was cool cause it took me to a new robust world. String second for me! But for me if it wasn't for those minis' it may have not gotten to be what it became and now is, because those comics were the beginning and for it's many incarnations, the blueprint...
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I love the minis. I have most of them. Im wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to find what order these go in though. Thats, of course, if there is any sort of order.

edit: nevermind.
    Last edited by crashdiary27; September 7, 2012 at 01:35pm.

They are GREAT!
    Love everything about them, the stories, the artwork even the size they made them. Although not entirely compatible with the Filmation cartoon I don't prefer one over the other, they are both evenly great.
    As a kid the sunday morning was cartoon morning with He-man, Transformers, Mask and all the other cartoons they aired. But, that was just Sunday morning.... The comics where there always to read and reinact.
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

For me the first four comics were te best part of the motu story. I based all my playing on them.
    I even had prince Adam, but he never made it outta the toy box because there was no place for him in my world. Mainly he-man with a big axe going around kicking some serious butt!
    Even my king Randor had to bow down to he-man or get his butt handed to him (not his dad in my world). Those were great days of hours of playing.

I did watch the cartoon religiously, but that was not the world where my figures adventured
    Great Traders :Wrathofskeletor,Patrick Bateman,Malakai9999,Baron Karza,Jacob,Toyjesus,Norvel33,NilsorII,Cjbol,Corbe e99,Skeledeuce,Hemanlives,TrozBloodbone,Mikescab,S pikor66,MEKANOSE,MOTU,Orko32,Fugitoid,BattleCatsMy Daddy,Domercon,slgcmg,Royalt1us,Bob,Sanctitas,Bone head,Lee,hogwart727,bengali94,Greyskull Guardsman,woo,Bigdaddy51200,Troy-Klops,ThePuzzler,ledmanno

Love the mini-comics, it would be unreal if there was a hard back edition made with all the mini's in it.

some of my favorite masters stories are from the mini comics, i hope for a nice compilation of all of them to be published someday.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    I love the mini-comics.

If I could draw like that, very fine and colour-co-ordinated, then I would do my work like that.

..mostly I just use a pen.

I'd buy that!