View Poll Results: Which Hordak voice style did you prefer?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Early SotS, more human sounding voice.

30 63.83%
  • Later gruffer, monstrous voice.

17 36.17%

Thread: Filmation's Hordak vs Filmation's Hordak

Filmation's Hordak vs Filmation's Hordak

In the SotS film, Hordak's voice actor gave his voice a different flavor than it would ultimately have through most of the run of the show.

Later, Hordak's voice became gruffer and more cliche, monster-villain sounding.

By contrast, I felt his voice was more human and ergo more sinister in SotS.

But, what did you think?

…I love Classics…
    …but 200X is my Masters of the Universe...
    { My Band | Twitter Me! | MastersCast | Lioncourt's Musings | Ping Me }

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt
    In the SotS film, Hordak's voice actor gave his voice a different flavor than it would ultimately have through most of the run of the show.

Later, Hordak's voice became gruffer and more cliche, monster-villain sounding.

By contrast, I felt his voice was more human and ergo more sinister in SotS.

But, what did you think?
    The grunting was annoying too.
    Give a Hoot Don't Pollute!

Not so much whether it sounded like a cliched moster-villain or not, but as I've mentioned before - I ALWAYS felt that Hordak's "snorting" was a character flaw.

Character flaw's simply aren't becoming on what is potentially the coolest and strongest of all MOTU characters ever. Hordak was pure awesome in a bucket. To have him wheeze and snort like an athsmatic pig was a ridiculous err in character design. I was also disgusted to see this unnecessary tick carry over into the MYP series. Why willingly reduce the coolness of a character like that?

Howdy

Well George DiCenzo is alot better sounding in SOTS than in say, A Christmas Special as I can clearly here in difference, the same with Bow's voice as well.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    as a kid, i prolly woulda gone with the later version, but i agree with the majority at the moment, as an adult. the snorting got kinda old, and definitely made him less 'serious' of a villain. now, shadow weaver, she was creepy! no snorting around there!
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

I liked the snorting. I like it when characters do strange things that make them unique. It didn't take away from his character for me. The constantly dumping people and being dumped in a bog via a trap-door...now THAT was dumb. I don't think even kids found that appealing. It was the show's "Erkel Aspect".

But Bow singing? Hordak snorting? Those are the little excentricities that make the characters unique.

And yes, Hordak was hella intimidating in SOTS.

The snorting had nothing to do with the poll...but I'll comment on it anyway...

I never really minded the Hordak snorting, and think that the growly kind of snort from MYP was brilliant. In MYP it made him more monstrous, which worked for that series.

Hordak's snorts were kind of necessary in the Filmation toon to make Hordak's voice distinctive. Skeletor had a distinctive sound and laugh, but Hordak didn't really have either. The snorting helped give him a "sound" you could latch onto.

…I love Classics…
    …but 200X is my Masters of the Universe...
    { My Band | Twitter Me! | MastersCast | Lioncourt's Musings | Ping Me }

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Hordak should always be snorting. It is his trademark. Thank goodness the MYP cartoon continued this tradition, even if it was a bit more subtle.

As for Hordak's voice... I always thought Hordak's voice was a bit uneven in SotS. Such as he is saying something then says "This will take care of Whispering Woods, ahahahah!!" -- the voice totally changes (as if it was recorded later as well). I guess I prefer good old Hordak as we remember him throughout the basic run of the series.

I agree at times he sounded a bit more sinister in SOTS, which is very cool.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Less snorting more sinister for me! Even tho I have not heard much of his english voice so I can't actually remember the difference, Hordak snorting like a pig sounds rediculous.

I'm not sure about his voice in MYP, but in the swedish dub it sounded pretty damn cool. I suppose a subtle gurglish wheeze mixed with a kind of very low growl could produce a rather unique and truly scary voice for that dark, dark monstrous behemoth of a creature that dwells in another dimension...

I agree. A human voice, especially, when he was being kindly to adora... Its much cooler than a cliche snort and growl.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

I love the voice of series Filmation!

I prefer the more human sounding voice.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Later gruffer, monstrous voice.