• C+

1 1.56%
  • C

2 3.13%
  • C-

0 0%
  • D+

0 0%

Thread: Grade the He-Man/She-Ra Xmas DVD.

Hybrid View

Grade the He-Man/She-Ra Xmas DVD.

For those who have already bought and seen the Christmas DVD, please give some feedback as to what you think of it? I've never seen this one, don't know if I should get it.

**The DVD as a total package, not just the episode**

Do you mind if I spoil some of the plot/scenes in an effort to explain why it's deserving of the [higher] grade I'm gonna give it?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Spoil away. I don't mind.

B+ is what I think it *really* deserves.

You'll hear a lot of people complaining about major plot-holes in the Christmas Special script and continuity errors, which I myself believed to be the case...until I started thinking about the sequence of events in-depth.

For example, often times it's pointed out that Man-At-Arms' invention doesn't make any sense, due to the fact that the [required] water crystal can't be found anywhere on Eternia. (i.e. Why would he invent something with a power source that doesn't exist?)

HOWEVER, this is easily explained. There's a scene where Orko is in the Sky Spy talking to the lost children, during which a bright light appears. If you guys will recall, Orko REMEMBERS that he has to "stand in the light" in order for the transport device to work, indicating that he's been informed of this before and that Man-At-Arms more-than-likely had ANOTHER water crystal. [Seemingly lost, destroyed, or limited in its use...whatever!...use your imagination.) That doesn't mean it came from Eternia either. He could have obtained it in some other way.

This is not to say that the CS is perfect. I don't think some of the characters were developed very well and parts seemed a bit rushed. Plus, they made it all too easy for mass amounts of characters to go back and forth between Eternia and Etheria.

There you go.

EDIT...and a big whoops on my part. I thought you meant to grade the Christmas special itself! (Or is that what you did mean?)

The DVD itself, in design, extras, etc. DEFINITELY deserves and A+.
    Last edited by Tallstar; December 10, 2005 at 07:57am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

For the DVD, I'd give BCI an A+. The special itself, I give a B-. I enjoyed seeing all the characters, but its a sub-par episode itself, with grade-A cheese spewed everywhere!

The one thing I really enjoyed about it, though, was seeing Skeletor being effectively powerful when reluctantly defending the children. It would've been cooler to see him so powerful while being evil, but I'll take what I can get. Too often his efforts are so easily thwarted by He-Man, it's nice to see him actually succeed in his attempts here.

Wakko

Heroic Warrior
    How could it get anything other than an A+
    Between the world we see and the things we fear. There are doors; when they are opened; nightmares become reality.

We're talking just the DVD itself?
    Like how it was put together, the features, menus, art, etc?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    We're talking just the DVD itself?
    Like how it was put together, the features, menus, art, etc?
    Yeah, I'm confused if we are supposed to be judging it in the manner that Val mentioned, or if we are supposed to be judging the special, itself. The grade I would give it would vary depending on which of those it is.

In the mean time, I am giving this poll a lower-case 'j'

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I gave it an A+ based on the extra features and the show itself.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I say A-

Because I would have loved to see more extras... you can never have enough of those! I still think it's great but something is still missing... but I shouldn't complain because it's on DVD now
    She-Ra and Xena; Warrior Princesses... woohoo!

Just a City Boy, Born... He-Ant's Avatar
    I gave it a "B+," because of the Kowl-Orko dance and the song that Miguel and his sister sang (her name escapes me).
    He-Ant... the Most Powerful Skeletor Fan in the Universe