1 1.56%
  • C

2 3.13%
  • C-

0 0%
  • D+

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade the He-Man/She-Ra Xmas DVD.

Grade the He-Man/She-Ra Xmas DVD.

For those who have already bought and seen the Christmas DVD, please give some feedback as to what you think of it? I've never seen this one, don't know if I should get it.

**The DVD as a total package, not just the episode**

Do you mind if I spoil some of the plot/scenes in an effort to explain why it's deserving of the [higher] grade I'm gonna give it?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Spoil away. I don't mind.

B+ is what I think it *really* deserves.

You'll hear a lot of people complaining about major plot-holes in the Christmas Special script and continuity errors, which I myself believed to be the case...until I started thinking about the sequence of events in-depth.

For example, often times it's pointed out that Man-At-Arms' invention doesn't make any sense, due to the fact that the [required] water crystal can't be found anywhere on Eternia. (i.e. Why would he invent something with a power source that doesn't exist?)

HOWEVER, this is easily explained. There's a scene where Orko is in the Sky Spy talking to the lost children, during which a bright light appears. If you guys will recall, Orko REMEMBERS that he has to "stand in the light" in order for the transport device to work, indicating that he's been informed of this before and that Man-At-Arms more-than-likely had ANOTHER water crystal. [Seemingly lost, destroyed, or limited in its use...whatever!...use your imagination.) That doesn't mean it came from Eternia either. He could have obtained it in some other way.

This is not to say that the CS is perfect. I don't think some of the characters were developed very well and parts seemed a bit rushed. Plus, they made it all too easy for mass amounts of characters to go back and forth between Eternia and Etheria.

There you go.

EDIT...and a big whoops on my part. I thought you meant to grade the Christmas special itself! (Or is that what you did mean?)

The DVD itself, in design, extras, etc. DEFINITELY deserves and A+.
    Last edited by Tallstar; December 10, 2005 at 07:57am.

For the DVD, I'd give BCI an A+. The special itself, I give a B-. I enjoyed seeing all the characters, but its a sub-par episode itself, with grade-A cheese spewed everywhere!

The one thing I really enjoyed about it, though, was seeing Skeletor being effectively powerful when reluctantly defending the children. It would've been cooler to see him so powerful while being evil, but I'll take what I can get. Too often his efforts are so easily thwarted by He-Man, it's nice to see him actually succeed in his attempts here.

Wakko

Heroic Warrior
    How could it get anything other than an A+
    Between the world we see and the things we fear. There are doors; when they are opened; nightmares become reality.

We're talking just the DVD itself?
    Like how it was put together, the features, menus, art, etc?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    We're talking just the DVD itself?
    Like how it was put together, the features, menus, art, etc?
    Yeah, I'm confused if we are supposed to be judging it in the manner that Val mentioned, or if we are supposed to be judging the special, itself. The grade I would give it would vary depending on which of those it is.

In the mean time, I am giving this poll a lower-case 'j'

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I gave it an A+ based on the extra features and the show itself.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I say A-

Because I would have loved to see more extras... you can never have enough of those! I still think it's great but something is still missing... but I shouldn't complain because it's on DVD now
    She-Ra and Xena; Warrior Princesses... woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJo82
    I say A-

Because I would have loved to see more extras... you can never have enough of those! I still think it's great but something is still missing... but I shouldn't complain because it's on DVD now
    The extras run over twice as long as the feature!

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    I have to give it an A+. I haven't seen it in good quality (My tape is dying!) in years! Plus, I no longer have to fastforward commercials

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy
    The extras run over twice as long as the feature!
    I know but you can never have enough extras!! Especially when it comes to He-man and She-ra!!
    She-Ra and Xena; Warrior Princesses... woohoo!

Sorry about the confusion. I was thinking about the movie itself. How good is the Christmas Special Movie? I've never seen it. I merely assumed that BCI did a great job based on the 10 Best and S1V1 DVD sets (which I am sure the Christmas Special DVD is just as great).
    Last edited by Orko's Hat; December 11, 2005 at 09:21pm.

I watched it with my kids this morning and my son got a kick out of skeletor saying " I don`t want to feel good I want to feel evil" all in all it`s a good dvd of a 16 year old Christmas Special!!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Like the quallity.......

really starting to hate the interviews though. Bash me if you will,but really really not intrested because everything is the same. Theirs no voice actors or REAL solid facts we didnt know already.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Hat
    Sorry about the confusion. I was thinking about the movie itself. How good is the Christmas Special Movie? I've never seen it. I merely assumed that BCI did a great job based on the 10 Best and S1V1 DVD sets (which I am sure the Christmas Special DVD is just as great).
    The movie isn't the best thing Filmation MOTU gave us, but it was great to see locations on Eternia and Etheria (and Earth) as well as characters from them in the same special. I gave it a B.

As for the DVD itself, the extras, layout, and packaging, I give it a solid A+.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vahn
    The movie isn't the best thing Filmation MOTU gave us, but it was great to see locations on Eternia and Etheria (and Earth) as well as characters from them in the same special. I gave it a B.

As for the DVD itself, the extras, layout, and packaging, I give it a solid A+.

Well put, my thoughts exactly.
    I'm a musician, and if you'd please check out my music, I'd be so grateful. Like it on facebook here:
    www.facebook.com/peterdamoremusic

You should definately get it.
    Especially if you haven't seen it yet...
    I have it recorded on vhs from back in the day, but I still had to get it on DVD. then again, I'm a He-Man *****, and want to update my vhs collection to dvd.... But it's definately worth it... Besides, if you got it right away, it's only $15.00....
    In Memory of Oscar
    May 2000 - September 23, 2005
    In Memory of Jetta
    2001- September 21, 2008

Master of DVD Documentaries Andy Mangels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis
    Like the quallity.......
    really starting to hate the interviews though. Bash me if you will,but really really not intrested because everything is the same. Theirs no voice actors or REAL solid facts we didnt know already.
    Sorry the interviews aren't interesting for you, but I wanted to make a few points:

1 - Val, Emiliano, and James Eatock have all told me they've learned a lot of new things in the interviews. I'm surprised you know more than they do. Perhaps we should have had you consult on the project since you're more knowledgable than they are?

2 - Not sure why you emphasized "REAL solid facts." Are you saying the creators are lying, or that we're propogating nonfactual content? Please be more clear on this.

3 - No voice actors? Ahem, Lou Scheimer and Erika Scheimer are two of the five main voice actors, and both are interviewed. Linda Gary is dead. John Erwin has repeatedly made it clear that he has no desire to be interviewed or seen.
    Alan Oppenheimer finally got back to us on our latest filming trip to LA (last week) and wanted a SIGNIFICANT amount of money for a two-hour interview (more than I earn in a month, and three-and-a-half times the industry going rate for a day's work). Additionally, Alan didn't want his FACE shown, and would ONLY do the interview behind a mask or in silhouette. The offer was declined, understandably but regretably.

There will be material on voice acting in an upcoming doc, and more on some other surprise special features we completed while I was in LA, but I don't know if it will be any new information for you, or if you'll consider it "REAL" or not.
    Best,
    Andy Mangels
    www.andymangels.com
    visit my site to see lots of cool He-Man, She-Ra, and Filmation DVD goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mangels

John Erwin has repeatedly made it clear that he has no desire to be interviewed or seen. Alan Oppenheimer finally got back to us on our latest filming trip to LA (last week) and wanted a SIGNIFICANT amount of money for a two-hour interview (more than I earn in a month, and three-and-a-half times the industry going rate for a day's work). Additionally, Alan didn't want his FACE shown, and would ONLY do the interview behind a mask or in silhouette. The offer was declined, understandably but regretably.
    That blows! I was hoping you guys could get these two on the documentaries. I really thought that John Erwin would do it, because when the possibility of the movie was announced, he seemed enthusiastic and offered his services for that. - But then I thought I read something about his agent telling him not to do the interviews? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I gave it an A overall. I haven't seen this special since it first aired and I enjoyed it a lot. Skeletor was hilarious. Probably the most I've laughed during an episode. I could have done without the transformer dudes and their enemies, but overall a great special. The art cards for this set didn't really do much for me. However, the cover art was amazing and the docs outstanding.

An A- from me. I enjoy the special, but it loses points for He-Man suddenly needing help just cause She-Ra's around, the water crystals silliness (sorry Tally), Swift Wind's prejudice dialogue (somehow simply changing forms equals evil?), NO SORCERESS, and because we dont get to see Teela and Adora interact. (what a tease the writers were)

Overall, I enjoy the special. Skeletor certainly steals the show, and I've always been a Skelly fan. I love the scene where he tells the children he likes fights, and saves them from the snowbeast. His dialogue is priceless. In fact, you might call it "The Skeletor Christmas Special."

BCI, your work is nothing short of remarkable. There's a fun little easter egg with the Palace. The menu screens are amazing and so reminiscent of Motu as a whole conjuring up all sorts of nostalgia in this geeky guy. The documentaries are among my favorite in the series so far. I actually prefer them to the S 1 V1 boxset, and bonus points go out for showing us Lioncourt.

However, and this is my biggest peeve with the boxset, why is the Sorceress discussion so brief after we hear commentator after commentator talk about Orko?? There is still some nice Sorceress artwork in the back hinting at her place when it comes to motu ethics, so I can kind of overlook her brief character discussion since she doesnt even appear in this dvd's particular storyline at all.

A other few minor points get subtracted in my book for not including Castaspella in the character profiles, and my dubious feelings about the laughable music video. (Maybe some things should stay lost)

So that's my solid A-.
    Last edited by Blue; December 22, 2005 at 09:06pm.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

crazymusicman2k
    I think it's brilliant, i was really surprised when i heard & saw that this DVD was being released, it was something I HAD to get.

The Xmas special is brilliant, although only 45 mins long, it's still good as the episode is awesome & very memorable.

I particularly like the scenes where you see Snout Spout, Fisto, Sy-Klone & Moss Man for example, characters your rarely see in the orignal cartoon episodes.

I also like the fact Spikor, Two Bad & Rattlor were used in the scene with Webstor aswell.

I hadnt seen this for years as when i was younger, my auntie got burgled and her video player & my video tape was stolen, i was extremely gutted & thought I'd never see this episode again, so was well over the moon when i saw a DVD release being scheduled.

And it's definately not a let down either, however i didn't know about the star thing on the menu, which i will try in a bit

Bang your head!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mangels
    John Erwin has repeatedly made it clear that he has no desire to be interviewed or seen.
    Alan Oppenheimer finally got back to us on our latest filming trip to LA (last week) and wanted a SIGNIFICANT amount of money for a two-hour interview (more than I earn in a month, and three-and-a-half times the industry going rate for a day's work). Additionally, Alan didn't want his FACE shown, and would ONLY do the interview behind a mask or in silhouette. The offer was declined, understandably but regretably.
    Outch
    Thats a bit of a kick to the crotch. They sound either bitter or just full of themselves. Was there ever an option of having Lou ask them if they wanted to contribute?...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/