1 1.56%
  • C

2 3.13%
  • C-

0 0%
  • D+

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grade the He-Man/She-Ra Xmas DVD.

Howdy

I gave this an A. I love it. There are a few dodgy moments which Blue already stated but Skeletor is the man in this and I watched it like four times in a row, its brilliant

A bit gutted to read about John and Alan...does Alan think he is an A-Class Hollywood star or something and are they both ashamed about thier looks, blood hell, screw em I say..people like that really irritate me, they should at least do it for the fans, but no, not the almighty Gods...

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; December 23, 2005 at 06:54pm.
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Hey Everyone,

I personally am really enjoying the documentary series, so far! Congratulations to all of those involved. Sure there is some stuff, that I already know, some I have forgotten and some that I have learnt for the first time. The picture and sound quality of the episodes, plus the incredible special features are ensuring a very solid DVD collection.

However, I am sad that Linda Gary is not hear to see this and that John Erwin and Alan Openheimer are not able to contribute! I do wish them both well though!

I would be very happy if the 2002 series by Mike Young Productions, 'She-Ra' and 'NA', recieved comparable treatment to the way this series is being handled.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Master of DVD Documentaries Andy Mangels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    However, and this is my biggest peeve with the boxset, why is the Sorceress discussion so brief after we hear commentator after commentator talk about Orko?? There is still some nice Sorceress artwork in the back hinting at her place when it comes to motu ethics, so I can kind of overlook her brief character discussion since she doesnt even appear in this dvd's particular storyline at all.
    Sorry to say, but very few people had much to say about the Sorceress, which is why there are so few quotes about her. When I interviewed everyone, we'd go down the list of characters to see if they had anything to say. Very few did. A few comments were unusable.

We're not shirking Sorceress by any means. I find her one of the most visually fun characters on the series (in addition to Fisto ), but then I like winged heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179
    Outch
    Thats a bit of a kick to the crotch. They sound either bitter or just full of themselves. Was there ever an option of having Lou ask them if they wanted to contribute?...
    Lou asked them personally at least 5-6 times that I'm aware of.

I'm sure there are reasons that John and Alan chose not to be involved and/or price themselves into the stratosphere. For THEM, they're good reasons. They may not be for US, but we aren't them.

I wish that the fans would just understand that John and Alan DO NOT want to be involved, and let it go. It's not BCI's fault, it's not my fault. And given that we've interviewed 30-40 people who worked on the series in lots of capacities (significantly more than most any other DVD documentary series), it's frustrating to continually hear complaints about John and Alan not being interviewed.
    Best,
    Andy Mangels
    www.andymangels.com
    visit my site to see lots of cool He-Man, She-Ra, and Filmation DVD goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mangels
    Sorry to say, but very few people had much to say about the Sorceress, which is why there are so few quotes about her. When I interviewed everyone, we'd go down the list of characters to see if they had anything to say. Very few did. A few comments were unusable.

We're not shirking Sorceress by any means. I find her one of the most visually fun characters on the series (in addition to Fisto ), but then I like winged heroes.

WHAT?!!!!? I'm very VERY sorry to hear that, Andy. Larry DiTillio seemed to have a lot to say about her in the Ten Best set so I was saddened not hear from him on this piece. No one even had any comments on her relationship to Teela or to He-Man (except briefly)?? It sounds like Skeletor's doing to me! It just seems strange that a character as deep and important as the Sorceress gets less attention than Orko.

It will be very hard for me to have a Merry Christmas now, but I'll try my best...
    RIP Andy Conrad.

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    WHAT?!!!!? I'm very VERY sorry to hear that, Andy. Larry DiTillio seemed to have a lot to say about her in the Ten Best set so I was saddened not hear from him on this piece. No one even had any comments on her relationship to Teela or to He-Man (except briefly)?? It sounds like Skeletor's doing to me! It just seems strange that a character as deep and important as the Sorceress gets less attention than Orko.

It will be very hard for me to have a Merry Christmas now, but I'll try my best...
    I think they didnt talk about her that much because as JMS had said, up until Season 2, she was viewed as a duex ex machina(hope I spelled that right). So very little thought went into her other then "Teela's mom must save the gang again!"
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull
    I think they didnt talk about her that much because as JMS had said, up until Season 2, she was viewed as a duex ex machina(hope I spelled that right). So very little thought went into her other then "Teela's mom must save the gang again!"
    ZOINKS Scooby! Like, we must find Teela's mom to save our butts again!

Oh, it's spelled "deus ex machina" BTW.

Personally, I loved this special and the features, especially the "I have the Power" music video. I found myself wondering "Okay, what episodes are THESE scenes from?" Before I realized some of the cooler ones were probably made specifically for this video.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star
    Personally, I loved this special and the features, especially the "I have the Power" music video. I found myself wondering "Okay, what episodes are THESE scenes from?" Before I realized some of the cooler ones were probably made specifically for this video.
    Howdy

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I know most of what is shown is from SOTS so is the rest just something that was made specifically for the music video???

Anyone got answers

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Hey Everyone,

I do not think that I had seen the footage with Adam, Cringer and Orko at the start. I could be wrong. But I have copies of every episode of both 'He-Man and She-Ra' on video and it just does not seem familar.

I am over the moon that this was included as a special feature on the 'He-Man and She-Ra': A Christmas Special' DVD. I really am enjoying the DVDs we have had released.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mangels
    Sorry the interviews aren't interesting for you, but I wanted to make a few points:

1 - Val, Emiliano, and James Eatock have all told me they've learned a lot of new things in the interviews. I'm surprised you know more than they do. Perhaps we should have had you consult on the project since you're more knowledgable than they are?

2 - Not sure why you emphasized "REAL solid facts." Are you saying the creators are lying, or that we're propogating nonfactual content? Please be more clear on this.

3 - No voice actors? Ahem, Lou Scheimer and Erika Scheimer are two of the five main voice actors, and both are interviewed. Linda Gary is dead. John Erwin has repeatedly made it clear that he has no desire to be interviewed or seen.
    Alan Oppenheimer finally got back to us on our latest filming trip to LA (last week) and wanted a SIGNIFICANT amount of money for a two-hour interview (more than I earn in a month, and three-and-a-half times the industry going rate for a day's work). Additionally, Alan didn't want his FACE shown, and would ONLY do the interview behind a mask or in silhouette. The offer was declined, understandably but regretably.

There will be material on voice acting in an upcoming doc, and more on some other surprise special features we completed while I was in LA, but I don't know if it will be any new information for you, or if you'll consider it "REAL" or not.
    Dude I never said I know more then them,I just gave my opinion,everyones got one. But IMO theirs only so many times Lou and Erica can say how good he-man is..... I KNOW he-man is amazing already and he gives a good message as does everyone on earth.

I think people wanna know whats up with the voices,more then production of the show. After all thats a key fact why we watched it.

Well since the voice actors arent game,this whole convo is null and void now isnt it? Thats what I ment by real solid facts,not that I didnt like the dvd interviews,but they just drag on for a while without juicy info and dirt. See......I just learned more from you then a documentary,thanks.
    Last edited by Lord Anubis; December 24, 2005 at 11:25am.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Just a City Boy, Born... He-Ant's Avatar
    I gave it a "B+," because of the Kowl-Orko dance and the song that Miguel and his sister sang (her name escapes me).
    He-Ant... the Most Powerful Skeletor Fan in the Universe

I prefer the SOTS, but also this is beautiful and vote A!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mangels View Post
    John Erwin has repeatedly made it clear that he has no desire to be interviewed or seen.
    Alan Oppenheimer finally got back to us on our latest filming trip to LA (last week) and wanted a SIGNIFICANT amount of money for a two-hour interview (more than I earn in a month, and three-and-a-half times the industry going rate for a day's work).
    Oh my goodness...
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...