Thread: Variant Check list!!

Variant Check list!!

Could someone please help me out by posting a COMPLETE variant checklist? I need this to include international variants as well. Thanks!!!!

Master of World Variants JOAH-MAN's Avatar
    Hiya,

Check out my cd thread. Just click on the link in my signature below and le'me know if you have any questions or email me if you would like a copy.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Classic line variants... care to add to the list?

I've been eagerly awaiting the 'variants' section on He-Man.org for some time now (not that I'm moaning, I know the guys are busy), so in the meantime, while sorting though all my classic MOTU figures, I decided to make a list of all the variants I have, no matter how small. (I haven't bothered mentioning the variants already listed with the various figures).

HE-MAN
    * I have a later re-issue where the Battle Axe has a side handle, allowing it to be held in either hand.
    * I've have shields with three different backs - one plain, and two with different types of "battle damage" marks.

MAN-AT-ARMS
    * I have a late re-issue with a hard head, and body armor that is yellowy-orange (instead of the deeper orange of earlier releases; I don't know if it counts as a variation or just differing dye).

SKELETOR
    * I have a Skeletor made in France with purple armor and weapons, and an almost back cowl.
    * I also have a late re-issue Skeletor with hard head, larger feet, and different paint-job on the face (very similar to the model used for later versions of Skeletor - Terror Claws, etc.)
    * I've also seen (but don't have) very early Skeletors where only the front halves of his boots are painted.

TEELA
    * Verifying and adding to the two versions listed on the site: one has red boots and hair, the other has brown boots and hair, as well as bright pink lips. I also have a third with mid-brown boots and hair.

MER MAN
    * Earlier Mer Man figures had belt and trunks all in orange; later issues had a green belt.

BATTLE RAM
    * Additional stickers on the Sky-Sled section where the figure's feet go. Not sure if this was a later addition to the vehicle or they are just commonly missing when bought second-hand. (The picture on the site is also without them).

BATTLE CAT
    * I have two versions of Battle Cat - one with orange stripes and light/mid red armor; another with darker orange stripes and deep red, almost maroon armor (again, different version / just different dye debatable).

CASTLE GRAYSKULL
    * There are two versions of the side-in floor piece for the left (gun) turret - one with a plain floor, and one with three slots for the gun to slot into.

FAKER
    * Early versions had a slightly larger sticker of which the bottom edges were visible from under the armor; the more common version had a slightly smaller sticker that was completely covered by the armor.
    * (Also, I've heard of a variation, possibly on the very early releases, where Faker's boots are black, not blue).

ATTAK TRAK
    * Another different dye / "proper variation" debate - Attak Trak can be found in both red and dark orange.

BATTLE ARMOR HE-MAN
    * I have Battle Armor He-Man with both soft and hard heads. (I imagine Battle Armor Skeletor is the same, although all the ones I have only have soft heads).
    * A variation I've seen judging by photos, but have yet to see "in person" - this figure also came with a shinier, silvery sword (and presumably axe) instead of the standard grey one.

PRINCE ADAM
    * One of my figures has it's jacket with the arm flaps sewn on; the other has them all as one piece with the jacket.

FISTO
    * I have the standard Fisto with brown hair & beard and dark blue boots; and one with red hair & beard and black boots.

WHIPLASH
    * One of my Whiplashs has a creamy-yellow belt (another case of differing paint used?)

KOBRA KHAN
    * My original Kobra Khan was made in France, and had much darker green skin and darker orange detailing.

MEKANECK
    * Mekanecks can be found with red or dark orange armor. I also have dark and light green belts on different examples of the figure.

DRAGON WALKER
    * I have two with slightly different paint jobs - one (the seemingly more common one) with dark green around the eyes; and the second with more dark green around the eyes AND around the mouth, as well as the gaps between the very front teeth not painted red.

ROBOTO
    * I have two versions of Roboto with different legs - one red and silver, and the other red and silver with metallic purple paint sprayed on top. (I thought the latter version was something done by the previous owner until I found more like it!)

HORDAK
    * A variation that I have heard of but never seen is the bat on the back of Hordak's armor also being painted red. (As this would have been hidden by his cape, I find this variation a bit unlikely, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.)

MANTENNA
    * Adding to the variation already listed on the site, the version with the painted bats on his boots has a red lever on his back; the version without the painted bats has a black lever.

Anyone care to add to the list?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    well some of your observations are correct and some are a bit off.

the he-man axe variant is from malaysia came with hardhead he-man

id like to see a yellow blt whiplash (havent seen one)

the roboto with "purple spray on" isnt a spray on its the plastic releasing its color though the silver its a reaction to its earlier care. two bad has the same issue.

the hordak with painted ribs and back is real. i have a few in fact.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior
    well some of your observations are correct and some are a bit off.

the he-man axe variant is from malaysia came with hardhead he-man
    Well, I hope I didn't do too bad, seeing as I was doing alot of this from memory, not to mention that all my classic MOTU figures a now mostly in one big box, they're a little mixed up and need sorting out here and there.

But the axe variant... I believe it was from a Malaysian He-Man but it definately came with a soft head. Guess they released the axe variant a while before the hard heads came out.

For some reason, as a kid, whilst I took super-good care of my toys, I didn't like that this battle axe wasn't the same as my original and pulled the handle off! I've regretted it ever since.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    the lists of variants is very long. i just threw some out off the top of my head as well. heres a few more

small head hordak mexico
    long barrel rifle webstor taiwan
    blue rifle webstor taiwan
    small foot scareglow france
    blue gun mosquitor spain
    black belt painted belly leech mexico
    big foot ba he-man france
    big jaw beastman malaysia
    small foot harhead faker malaysia
    blue he-man shield stinkor france

and these are your more common euro/american variants

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior
    the lists of variants is very long. i just threw some out off the top of my head as well. heres a few more

small head hordak mexico
    long barrel rifle webstor taiwan
    blue rifle webstor taiwan
    small foot scareglow france
    blue gun mosquitor spain
    black belt painted belly leech mexico
    big foot ba he-man france
    big jaw beastman malaysia
    small foot harhead faker malaysia
    blue he-man shield stinkor france

and these are your more common euro/american variants
    Wow, I could ask a hundred questions about these!
    "Small head Hordak", "Big jaw Beast-Man"... I've never heard of these. (I'm surprised to 200x line didn't release them as official variant figures! )

I'm only now realising how many variants came from France. Only French figures I originally had as a kid were Battle Cat and Kobra Khan; they were much darker than their counterparts from other countries.

What's different about long barrel Webstor? As in, what gun does he have (obviously instead of the regular orange Grayskull gun).
    ~jay firestorm~

Plastic_Fetish
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    MER MAN
    * Earlier Mer Man figures had belt and trunks all in orange; later issues had a green belt.

Earlier versions of Mer-Man came with a green belt, not orange.

BATTLE ARMOR HE-MAN
    * I have Battle Armor He-Man with both soft and hard heads. (I imagine Battle Armor Skeletor is the same, although all the ones I have only have soft heads).

Yes, B. A. Skeletor also comes with a hard head.

* A variation I've seen judging by photos, but have yet to see "in person" - this figure also came with a shinier, silvery sword (and presumably axe) instead of the standard grey one.

Battle Armor He-Man's accessories are either lighter grey or silvery in appearance. The dark grey accessories came only with standard He-Mans.

FISTO
    * I have the standard Fisto with brown hair & beard and dark blue boots; and one with red hair & beard and black boots.

The red haired, dark purple (black) belt and boots Fisto is a Malaysian exclusive. It came with either a soft or hard head.

There is quite a noticeable difference in head/face sculpts on the standard and Malaysian Fistos.

MEKANECK
    * Mekanecks can be found with red or dark orange armor. I also have dark and light green belts on different examples of the figure.

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the dark orange/pink/salmon armor Mekanecks came with dark green belts.

ROBOTO
    * I have two versions of Roboto with different legs - one red and silver, and the other red and silver with metallic purple paint sprayed on top. (I thought the latter version was something done by the previous owner until I found more like it!)

Roboto also featured either a standard yellow or mustardy/dirty yellow gear in his chest cavity. I believe the mustardy/dirty yellow gear is also smaller in size.

HORDAK
    * A variation that I have heard of but never seen is the bat on the back of Hordak's armor also being painted red. (As this would have been hidden by his cape, I find this variation a bit unlikely, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.)

There are several Hordak variations. White and creamy faced, red bat on back of armor, red ribs on sides of armor, glossy or matte capes, etc.

MANTENNA
    * Adding to the variation already listed on the site, the version with the painted bats on his boots has a red lever on his back; the version without the painted bats has a black lever.

I think the Black Lever Mantenna also came with painted boots. I'm not entirely sure, though.

Anyone care to add to the list?
    There are too many to list! Your best resources are the He-Man.Org forums, eBay, search engines, and Joah-Man's variants CD.

Dave Zylstra eBay: motu-toys

I posted a thread about this, but I SWEAR I remember when I got my first Evil Lyn (when she came out the first time), that she had one sort of face and make-up.. and the all other reissues had the one we see all the time...

it wasn't a huge difference, but enough of one to make me ask my mom why they changed her face when I got a new one (the first one's head broke because I found that you could pop it out of the neck and eventually the neck broke... I have vivid memories of my Evil Lyn figure because she was totally my favorite of the bad guys
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I don't know if it's legit but I saw a Fisto with a purple Jitsu sword a few weeks ago on ebay. It was loose.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    I don't know if it's legit but I saw a Fisto with a purple Jitsu sword a few weeks ago on ebay. It was loose.
    Yes these are real variants.
    Other variant weapons-
    Webstor- blue gun
    scareglow- glow in the dark staff
    he-man- axe with handle guard
    stinkor- blue he-man shield
    black face grizzlor- slightly darker green bow

there are loads of figure variants, these are some of the main ones i can think of
    2 bad- flat and round back
    stratos- red wings blue pack and blue wings red pack (also toptoys version with pink wings)
    faker- I and II, big and small boots, skeletor arms, and Leo version with face decoration
    skeletor- half and full boot
    grizzlor- black face with darker skin
    rattlor- red and yellow neck versions
    tung lashor- pattern on back, no pattern
    man e faces- extra weapons, light and dark colour wires
    laser light skeletor- slight variation in belt colour
    laser power he-man- spanish release has classic head
    hordak- bat on back of armour and red ribs
    kobra khan- toptoys variant with buzz off arms and camouflage
    clawful- whiplash and skeletor type legs
    modulock- green limbs by toptoys
    rokkon- differant coloured arms
    mantenna- couple of differant vaiants with a black/red switch and black/red bats
    tri klops- faces
    merman-belt colour
    sorceress- wings with and without blue tips
    man at arms- belt colour

ah two more:

SORCERESS without gray feather pattern on her front (just plain white)

MAN-AT-ARMS with red highlighted paint apps on his helmet (EARLY Man at Arms I think)
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Plastic_Fetish
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    MAN-AT-ARMS with red highlighted paint apps on his helmet (EARLY Man at Arms I think)
    Yes, this was the very first Man-At-Arms release and is fairly tough to find. In my opinion, this figure is also undervalued!

Dave Z. eBay: motu-toys
    Last edited by Plastic_Fetish; December 16, 2006 at 11:45pm.

oh - that is cool - I just got a Man at Arms like that on ebay!

Widget

List of figures and variants

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of vintage figures and variants? Thanks.

stained glass artist fishbrigade's Avatar
    JOAH-Man is the guy for that... http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...highlight=joah

I do not think anyone has not been satisfied with it.
    Over 40 successful trades here on the org feedback

We need a Variant Figure list with pics

example Variant pink and purple chest tubing on the Masters of the Universe figure Man-E-Faces.
    and the other day i JUST learned about Tung lashor

Would be nice!

Come on you lovely .orgers,
    post pics if you have any
    variants!

Last edited by Squid; January 14, 2013 at 03:28am.
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchybabysc View Post
    example Variant pink and purple chest tubing on the Masters of the Universe figure Man-E-Faces.
    There is an .org user that sells a CD ROM of all variants. I can't remember the person's name but you could probably find it in the search function. BTW Tung Lashor with paited back is one of my favorite variants right behind Black Belt Leech!
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

I do wish someone would release an archive book of loose and complete MOTU figures and vehicles. These things are so helpful, especially when you're going through junk boxes at toy shows and flea markets.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by mitchybabysc View Post
    Ideally, pictures would be uploaded and organized on the "collecting" part of the Org.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Ideally, pictures would be uploaded and organized on the "collecting" part of the Org.
    I suggested that to an .org member that is updating the collecting section of the site. Hopefully that goes through. I have most of the variants and would be happy to take pictures for the cause!

FYI - here is the thread I was talking about http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...n-of-the-Site!
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

variant list

is there any variant list for vintage figures around any where thanks

we need pics on here
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info