Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That SUPER STICKY vintage residue--how to make it go away?

Hybrid View

That SUPER STICKY vintage residue--how to make it go away?

You guys know the stuff I mean--I've encountered it after opening MOC figures and on loose ones from back in the day. So what have you guys done to get rid of it?

THANK YOU for the help!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

he man fan aus
    I put myne in hot water and let them sock for around 1 hour

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    409 usually does the trick! Be careful scrubbing on the painted parts though. I tend to use paper towels and a really old toothbrush. Makes them shine like new, and it can even get scuffs off the paint without removing the paint if you take your time

GooGone. It's brilliant.
    Botch's Blog & Transformers Box Art Archive
    www.botchthecrab.com

Ah! GooGone may do it! Thank you!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Err....sticky figures?

Hmmm.

Has anyone come accross any loose figures that where sticky? I bought a grab bag of loose MOTU figures from a local comic shop about 6 months ago, and when I got home I found out that Man-E-Faces had a sticky feeling, mostly around the torso and legs. So, I threw it away, and washed my hands around 100 times, and tried NOT to think of what caused the stickiness.

But today I get a package from Brianstoys.com of loose figures, and guess what? Khan has the same sticky feeling. What could this be? Has anyone ever come across figures like this?

With KK, I tried washing him with a wet wash cloth, but it's still sticky. I'm afraid soap & water will make it worse(don't see how, but why risk it), so if anyone has any tips let me know.

Just thought I'd pass this along, see if anyone else knows what I'm talking about here .

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    I'd go over those figures with a blacklight. You never know...
    Almost Comics: Occasionally updated; occasionally funny.
    When you're done laughing, visit the store!

Wii code: 5872 5712 0970 1915 (let me know if you're adding me)
    XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon

Chris here...

Some figures do develop a slight sticky feeling quite naturally and by themselves - it's basically to do with the really old plastic just beginning to break down. I've got a couple of childhood figures that are going like this - so, it doesn't necessarily mean that someone's been using them for something other than the purpose for which they were intended!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Some figures do develop a slight sticky feeling quite naturally and by themselves - it's basically to do with the really old plastic just beginning to break down. I've got a couple of childhood figures that are going like this - so, it doesn't necessarily mean that someone's been using them for something other than the purpose for which they were intended!

Take care...
    Naughty mental image there. It really sucks that this happens to all of our good old figures. Fortunately, my classic MotU figures don't have the sticky feeling of decay on them yet, and hopefully never will. I think the washing my hands first before touching them helps detour the settling of hand oils to a point. Probably doesn't prevent it one hundred percent though. Damn the corrosive touch of the human hands!!!!!
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Rubbing alcohol or any other alcohol-based solvent will clean off the stickiness and slow the deterioration process. I'm no scientist, so I don't know why it seems to work, but I've cleaned several sticky figures this way, as well as the wings on the crystal She-Ra horses.

Yeah, I've seen plenty of loose vintage figures with that stickiness that doesn't seem to wash off. I've also seen both loose and carded figures with yellowing, discoloration and a white substance that looks like frost or fuzz. All are believed to be symptoms of the plastics degrading over time. Plastics also apparently give off gases as they age. Many cite the yellowed bubbles of old cards as resulting from the gases released from the figures sealed inside. The conditions loose figures are subjected to play a part in how they hold up over the years. Keeping them in baggies can affect them; obviously, exposure to heat and light affects them. There's some interesting reading on the subject here.

It is the plastic breaking down. I have opened many a vintage MOC (on crappy cards) that have been sticky. I have found it most with multi-bot and modulok figures.

Chris

Sticky Figure, grey head, silver part that turn green or purple, white "dust" accumulation, discoloration, dotted spot that appear... all element I have seen on old figure as they age.

But is not that dramatic, you could have a McFarlane figure who's not even 10 year old that have this soft realistic rubber part that dry off, crack and unglue!
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    My original Tri Klops and a couple of others have gone very sticky on the surface, as said, it is the plastic starting to detereorate. Some seem more affected than others, and not just the same figures, either.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

The Great Dogworm

ďSticky figure syndromeĒ- What are the causes and is there a cure?

Iíve not seen my Masters of the Universe figures for about three years as Iíve been away at university, living the life and all that malarkey. Iím back at home now, and the other day I decided to get my figures out. I was horrified to discover that several of them have gone sticky. This came as quite a shock as although I was aware that this sort of thing could happen I had not expected it to onset quite so fast and quite so dramatically (for example you canít really touch my Modulok now).

My figures are kept in my bedroom at constant temperature in a cardboard box, in a closet out of the sun. Some of them are degenerating quite badly, others are fine. Iíd attribute that to the different sorts of plastic used on the different figures, except that I have three Grizlors due to various gifts from relatives that didnít know who I had, and whilst two of them are degrading the other is fine.

Obviously this is very distressing and quite puzzling as Iíve always taken good care of my toys. My vintage Transformers and Thundercats are all fine, thankfully. I doubt this is a problem resulting solely from general aging as youíd all be complaining about it. What is happening to my toys and can anything be done to either cure those affected or prevent those still unaffected from succumbing? I don't want my MoTU to rot away!

My Bow & She-ra had that when I took them out. I just gave them a wash down with some handsoap and they are fine now. It could just be from being in storage.

Wicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Dogworm View Post
    the other day I decided to get my figures out. I was horrified to discover that several of them have gone sticky. This came as quite a shock as although I was aware that this sort of thing could happen I had not expected it to onset quite so fast and quite so dramatically (for example you canít really touch my Modulok now).

Obviously this is very distressing and quite puzzling as Iíve always taken good care of my toys.
    I merged your thread with this one. You might find some answers in the posts above!
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

It's kind of depressing knowing there is a possibility that many of the stuff you collect now may become a melted milk dud in 20 years. I wonder if Plastic Toys made in the past decade were being made with the same plastic as the original motu line. Maybe Mattel was cutting costs and going with a cheaper plastic? Maybe the Commemorative versions will hold up better? Who knows, I'd rather stick to something like polystone.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    i used to have the same problem , so i used to put them in the freezer for a while it used to stop the stickeyness for a while

Sticky limbs remedy?

I've managed to get my nephew a fully complete set of MOTU figures.
    These are actually in awesome complete condition (I'm actually a little jealous) but some of them have sticky limbs.
    I don't want to give my nephew stickey figures.
    Is there anything I can do like a spray of something to sort them out?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Wash it with dish soap then put some baby powder on it. (It won't fix the degrading of the plastic, but it will make it less sticky for playing.)

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Wash it with dish soap then put some baby powder on it. (It won't fix the degrading of the plastic, but it will make it less sticky for playing.)
    Cool I was always wondering about this too. I'll have to try it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)

What causes figures to become sticky?

I only notice this in the later figures of the series from 86'.I have plenty of figures that are way older then that and are not sticky or show any signs of it.The 2 figures that stand out that I find this to be most common in are King Randor and Clamp Champ.I know plastic degrades over time,but it would make more sense if the older figures broke down before the later figures,seeing as they are newer figures.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Widget

Stickiness - Help Needed

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of help. I recently bought a bulk lot from someone and when they arrived... some had 'sticky' plastic. I have heard of people having this problem when figures have been stored in plastic or have been taken out from there card/bubble after mainy years and am led to believe it is the plastic 'going off' but these figures have not recently been taken out of cards/bubbles and the seller 'assures' me that they weren't stored in a plastic bag or the like... My question is... Is there anything I can do to get rid of the sticky feeling which is on some of the figures?? Anyone have any ideas? I'd be most appreciative of any help. Thanks orgers, Bored Trooper

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I've always kept my figures in a rubbermaid tub, in ziplock bags... is that wrong? Will that cause them to get sticky and deteriorate? Got a little worried now...
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler