Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That SUPER STICKY vintage residue--how to make it go away?

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    I recently opened my King Randor and his orange legs were very sticky!
    Also a Modulok and Multi-Bot, but they were both perfect! Not sticky at all!

Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =- View Post
    I recently opened my King Randor and his orange legs were very sticky!
    I have the same problem with my King Randor!

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    I used to have some of my MOTU figures with that problem. I solved it with a good old toothbrush, warm water and soap.

Does anyone know how to get off the toys the white dust accumulation? I tried numerous times to get it off my Roton toy without any luck.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Some figures do develop a slight sticky feeling quite naturally and by themselves - it's basically to do with the really old plastic just beginning to break down. I've got a couple of childhood figures that are going like this - so, it doesn't necessarily mean that someone's been using them for something other than the purpose for which they were intended!

Take care...
    Naughty mental image there. It really sucks that this happens to all of our good old figures. Fortunately, my classic MotU figures don't have the sticky feeling of decay on them yet, and hopefully never will. I think the washing my hands first before touching them helps detour the settling of hand oils to a point. Probably doesn't prevent it one hundred percent though. Damn the corrosive touch of the human hands!!!!!
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Rubbing alcohol or any other alcohol-based solvent will clean off the stickiness and slow the deterioration process. I'm no scientist, so I don't know why it seems to work, but I've cleaned several sticky figures this way, as well as the wings on the crystal She-Ra horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyer View Post
    I have a few figures that are sticky and my King Randor has white spots on his legs as well as being sticky. The thing I noticed is that all of my sticky figures are made in Maylasia (and I think all of my made in Maylasia figures are sticky). The only things I have that are sticky that aren't from Maylasia are the wings and saddles from the crystal She-Ra horses.
    I always wondered about that.. Would you say Randor & all the other male figures.. their legs resemble barbies in material?? mattel used reground plastic a lot. I have a lot of tanned barbies & lady lovely locks that have white splotches where their "tan" has come out of the redyed plastic .. I always wondered if that reground practice migrated to He-man and the She-ra line..

Anyone know??

Wicket

I try wiping them down with rubbing alcohol, as this has happened to a few figs I opened from moc. If only there was a way to stop certain ones from breaking down as not every old figure has this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wickethecanuck View Post
    I always wondered about that.. Would you say Randor & all the other male figures.. their legs resemble barbies in material?? mattel used reground plastic a lot. I have a lot of tanned barbies & lady lovely locks that have white splotches where their "tan" has come out of the redyed plastic .. I always wondered if that reground practice migrated to He-man and the She-ra line..

Anyone know??

Wicket
    I had a Skipper doll made the same year as Randor and she had white spots on her legs as well. He-Man figure legs are less rubbery than Barbie, but they could both be made from the reground plastic (I don't know for sure), but it makes sense that Mattel would use the same processes for stuff made at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    Rubbing alcohol or any other alcohol-based solvent will clean off the stickiness and slow the deterioration process. I'm no scientist, so I don't know why it seems to work, but I've cleaned several sticky figures this way, as well as the wings on the crystal She-Ra horses.
    Time to give my Modulok a deluxe whiskey rub then
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The bunny.
    Add him to your signature.
    Help him rule the world.

i think the thing is known in the community as *VIRUS* figures start having decoloration spots and spores, start getting sticky, i figure it's like a melting process that can take years.

My guess is that every figure will become like that in a few years on...first bandages will break, then plastic will start developing "the virus" I can imagine a card with some strange mass inside which colours reminds you of what figure might have been inside the card

Sticky limbs remedy?

I've managed to get my nephew a fully complete set of MOTU figures.
    These are actually in awesome complete condition (I'm actually a little jealous) but some of them have sticky limbs.
    I don't want to give my nephew stickey figures.
    Is there anything I can do like a spray of something to sort them out?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Wash it with dish soap then put some baby powder on it. (It won't fix the degrading of the plastic, but it will make it less sticky for playing.)

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Wash it with dish soap then put some baby powder on it. (It won't fix the degrading of the plastic, but it will make it less sticky for playing.)
    Cool I was always wondering about this too. I'll have to try it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)

What causes figures to become sticky?

I only notice this in the later figures of the series from 86'.I have plenty of figures that are way older then that and are not sticky or show any signs of it.The 2 figures that stand out that I find this to be most common in are King Randor and Clamp Champ.I know plastic degrades over time,but it would make more sense if the older figures broke down before the later figures,seeing as they are newer figures.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Widget

Stickiness - Help Needed

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of help. I recently bought a bulk lot from someone and when they arrived... some had 'sticky' plastic. I have heard of people having this problem when figures have been stored in plastic or have been taken out from there card/bubble after mainy years and am led to believe it is the plastic 'going off' but these figures have not recently been taken out of cards/bubbles and the seller 'assures' me that they weren't stored in a plastic bag or the like... My question is... Is there anything I can do to get rid of the sticky feeling which is on some of the figures?? Anyone have any ideas? I'd be most appreciative of any help. Thanks orgers, Bored Trooper

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I've always kept my figures in a rubbermaid tub, in ziplock bags... is that wrong? Will that cause them to get sticky and deteriorate? Got a little worried now...
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

Widget
    I've got sticky figures from yard sales/flea markets before. I just wipe them off with a slightly damp cloth, seems to do the trick.

ive had a few, seems to go away if you clean them, and they pop up at random almost,i have figures that werent sticky when i put them on my shelf, and then ill get a new accessory to add to it, and blammo! its sticky lol
    Last edited by kelddorr; April 7, 2010 at 12:15am.

I've had the same problem with figures that were not stored in plastic bags. After getting sticky figures I started putting my stuff in small plastic bags. I once read an article about the plastics used on action figures sometimes being unstable (or something). If I remember correctly, the article said that the stickyness is caused by that unstableness. The plastic kinda "sweats." I don't know if that's true or not. I'm also kinda worried, because it'd be nice to know a good and a safe way to store action figures since I have a lot of them in store (in plastic bags).

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I just use a little dish soap and a toothbrush. Some times they remain a little sticky for a while, and then seem to "dry out" after a while.

The illness of PVC. In 30 years time all the figures from the 80s will look and feel really bad, even the MOC ones.

That's why I believe that commemoratives should be released every 10-20 years to keep an action figure line alive.

Alternatively, the could focus on ABS but there are other issues with that plastic. So generally, plastic doesn't age well. :/
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

I bought my Grizzlor online a few months ago and his arms and legs were very sticky. They are still pretty sticky now. I really think that his plastic is a bit different than most of the other guys.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    I just use a little dish soap and a toothbrush. Some times they remain a little sticky for a while, and then seem to "dry out" after a while.
    Same problem here. Some figures have it, some don't. They were never stored in plastic bags. I'm a bit afraid of using soap dish: won't the paint come of?
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

I will soon do some experiments. I study product design so I can check what could be done chemically and find out the actual reason why this happens to PVC. It must be related to humidity.

Don't use strong soaps, dishwasher soap is a strong one. Try some mild hand washing liquid. Also, don't brush with anything harder than a toddler's toothbrush.
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Heroic Warrior
    The only three figures I have with this are King Randor, Clamp Champ and Snout Spout. Two figures from the same, later series. I've had a Grizzlor that had this problem too and yes, none of them were kept in plastic, but Snout Spout came off a damaged card.

Personally, I do not think it's a big deal and I believe it's just a chemical reaction in the plastic.