Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Podcast/Radio Drama (Featuring He-Ro and tons of other flimation characters)

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar

MOTU Podcast/Radio Drama (Featuring He-Ro and tons of other flimation characters)

DestrongerLupus, several other org members and I have been working on a radio drama podcast for last month or so, and finally the fruits of our labor are ready for public listening:
    You can view details and access the feed at

The Podcast Blog at PointDread.org

or access the feed directly.

Written and produced by DestrongerLupus, and featuring (among others) board-members Myself, Fyre, and WingedSiamese

We hope everyone enjoys it, and we'd love to hear what you think!
    Last edited by heftysmurf76; August 14, 2006 at 12:12pm.

Awesome! I knew you were working on this, but it's a total shock (in a good way) to have it randomly dropped here without any warning.

*goes off to listen*

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar
    Awesome! I knew you were working on this, but it's a total shock (in a good way) to have it randomly dropped here without any warning.

*goes off to listen*

What's really funny is, I just PMd you about this as you were busy repling!
    I'm a voice actor and a psychic
    Hope you enjoy it!

Thought I'd rattle off the classic characters that appear in our little drama:

Toys of various stripes:

He-Ro and Eldor, naturally
    King Hiss (Classic toy/mini-comic version)

Filmation Characters:

Granamyr
    Zilora
    King Tarvan

and a whole boat-load more coming in future episodes (including, eventually, Binotops and the other dinos, and the giants, since they make up the rest of the POG line )

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    dartmouth?

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

THIS is what we need. Hadn't heard it yet, but I'm getting it, no doubt. I'm not a huge fan of fanfics, but I can dig them if done well and not all yanking around the original source. So I can't wait to see if I dig it.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

GW-

Well Dartmouth hasn't shown up yet, but he WILL

SOB-

I'm glad you agree! Especially now during our MOTU-dry spell, I think we could all use new fan-media. Fan animation is probably unrealistic, but fan comics and new "audio adventures" I think are the way to keep things alive. I really hope you enjoy the show, and even if you don't please send us some feedback, and stay subscribed, the next episode will be even better (Though we're all pretty proud of this first attempt anyway!)

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

The voice acting is too good. I like the guy who's narrating it. Is that you DestrongerLupus?

'tis cool that a story was built off of the "Darksmoke and Fire" She-Ra episode.

Yep that's me, and congratulations on being the first one to earn the "bonus points" I offered on the blog to anyone that figured out the refrerences

And thanks so much for the compliments on the voice acting, I have been SO blessed with a bunch of really talented volunteers!

Bonus points not good for anything.....

D/L

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar
    'tis cool that a story was built off of the "Darksmoke and Fire" She-Ra episode.
    That was my favorite part too!
    I got chills hearing the she-ra stransformation via podcast

Quote Originally Posted by DestrongerLupus
    Thought I'd rattle off the classic characters that appear in our little drama:

Toys of various stripes:

He-Ro and Eldor, naturally
    King Hiss (Classic toy/mini-comic version)

Filmation Characters:

Granamyr
    Zilora
    King Tarvan

and a whole boat-load more coming in future episodes (including, eventually, Binotops and the other dinos, and the giants, since they make up the rest of the POG line )

D/L
    Hello there, Destronger Lupus!

Would you consider including The Three Towers of Eternia? Sorry, if you already have. I have not been home much, and had a chance to hear the story, yet.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Fisto-

Well it's a long way off, but by Mini-Comic continuity, the 3 Towers are an integral part of the POG continuity, and I HAVE been doing a lot of research on the subject....there's a certain likelyhood of them being a plot-point at some point

On a side note to anyone that's listened so far:

Please please, no matter what you thought, consider dropping us some audio-feedback to feedback@pointdread.org I'm going to be doing weekly "mini casts" in the off-weeks, and one thing I'd love to do in them would be to play listener feedback.

D/L
    Last edited by DestrongerLupus; March 6, 2006 at 08:31am.

I DLed it today so I could listen to it at work later and it sounds cool! From what little big I heard it sounds like the story follows the innocent fun and and adventure of the old stories or mini-comics (My fear is fanfic-ed lovestories that sometime bump fan projects up to 15+ years old )

The only thing tha tI heard that I think felt really off as the rock music playing ambiently in the background. It just kinda clashed. Maybe during heavy action sequences and definitly instumental only. And I'm surprised didn't hear any of the classic filmation music. Oh well

Anyway, can't wait to listen to it tonight and come back with a proper Critique!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine
    I DLed it today so I could listen to it at work later and it sounds cool! From what little big I heard it sounds like the story follows the innocent fun and and adventure of the old stories or mini-comics (My fear is fanfic-ed lovestories that sometime bump fan projects up to 15+ years old )

The only thing tha tI heard that I think felt really off as the rock music playing ambiently in the background. It just kinda clashed. Maybe during heavy action sequences and definitly instumental only. And I'm surprised didn't hear any of the classic filmation music. Oh well

Anyway, can't wait to listen to it tonight and come back with a proper Critique!

Really looking forward to your feedback, and as I mentioned feel free to record some audio comments for us as well, if you feel inspired!

I was REALLY trying to capture the classic filmation-feel (Lots of Mini comic influence too!), and if you're getting that vibe, I'm very happy!

Music is tough, in all fairness I can't play anything from Filmation, or any music you've likely heard before, because I don't have the rights to do so. This is a big issue in podcast-land (and rightly so). So we've selected three artists from magnatune.com, which is an internet-based recording label that is being highly supportive of podcasters. Shiva In Exile is the name of the group providing most of the background tunes. I think they work, but that may be my skewed musical taste. Filmation had such top-notch scores, its a hard act to follow

D/L

OK I heard it and WOW!!!!! Yeah I totally take back what I said about the music. When I heard it in context it totally fit and sounded awesome. When I was just skimming, the music I was referring too sounded a bit too much like modern fake punk or somthing for some reason, but I hear it more as Power Metal which TOTALLY fits with the scenes.

I cannot WAIT to hear more to this. I was a little confused about the opening, with She-ra, but I realize it's probably from a She-Ra episode, which I havn't seen in sooo many years.

The ONLY thing I had a slight problem with was that He-ro (and his alter-ego) sounded a bit wooden, though the rest of the voiceacting was great!

Very happy with the storytelling. It was VERY much classic feeling and just fun adventures. Nothing too dark (some fanfics you know will get dark for the sake of being dark and it turns me off), and nothing overly sexual (that kinda fanfic turned me off too) But this sounds liek somthing you could BUY from the store as part of a read along book!!!!!

Someone (not me.. I draw well but not well enough for this bourd) needs to totally illustrate it and add in some "Turn the page" sounds.

Totally can't wait for the next installment. It's inspired me to make some preternia customs, though I dunno how good I am.

THANKS ALOT FOR DOING THIS!! We totally needed somthing this cool.

Son of Blaine-

Im soo glad you enjoyed it, and even more so that you liked the music in context, these musical artists have really grown on me, and I'll be featuring individual tracks as part of our mini-casts in the future!

Goal one with this project was to stay true to the source material, I didn't want to spin a POG story out of whole cloth, but rather take the bits and pieces we have about the line, mix it in with the Filmation and MYP threads about ancient Eternia, and try to write a story that could fit in with the rest of the mythos. Now, I will say, I'm an adult fan, and I'm writinf for adult fans, so the story will grow and deepen a bit as we go in ways that a cartoon from Mattel probably wouldn't, but I have a strict policy which I call "Don't Make Lou Schimer Blush" so the spirit should remain in tact

Reagarding the art, I'd LOVE for Tom to give us enough art that we could do an "enhanced podcast" or even just make a companion story-book webpage for each episode, but that'd be a lot of drawing, for now, he's hooking us up with cover art, and even variant cover art, for each episode (and he's voice acting, starting with ep 2). So we'll see how much we can grow as time goes on.

I'd LOVE to see your kitbashes, this whole project started with me making a He-Ro custom (Eldor and Ramskull are in process too), and Hefty's even mentioned he might like to eventually do a GFC type project with this, so you've got the right idea!

Thanks again, and I hope SonofBlaine's vote of confidence might convince some more folk to have a listen!

D/L

Isn't DL's storytelling the perfect blend of old and new? I think so!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine
    Someone (not me.. I draw well but not well enough for this bourd) needs to totally illustrate it and add in some "Turn the page" sounds.
    I agree completely *looks around for more artists*
    Totally can't wait for the next installment. It's inspired me to make some preternia customs, though I dunno how good I am.
    that is soooo cool! I've been inspired by this to make some customs as well! Can't decide if I wanna do He-Ro or Ramskull first!
    THANKS ALOT FOR DOING THIS!! We totally needed somthing this cool.
    It's been a blast so far! I hope more folks have a losten and let us know what they thought(good or bad) like you have!!!

HEY now when we decide to turn this awesome PODCASR into a group custom figure challenge (Chronicles of Pre-Eternia)/ He-ro/ or what ever you decide to call it

I lay dibs on RAM SKULL....please.. I found the perfect base!!!!

Hefty ya gotta back me up on this one since I sent you the pic of it

Great work by everyone on this. It was alot of fun to listen to

Thanks!!

It's funny, Ramskull basically started life as a planned-custom that I haven't gotten to, now I'm VERY curious as to what your recipie might be, this would be GREAT as a group project, we've got a slew of more characters coming!

Have you seen the fan-art thread btw? There's art of Ramskull, though since this IS theatre-of-the-mind there's no need to be influenced by it if you've got a concept already

D/L
    Last edited by DestrongerLupus; March 10, 2006 at 11:01am.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Thanks!!

It's funny, Ramskull basically started life as a planned-custom that I haven't gotten to, now I'm VERY curious as to what your recipie might be, this would be GREAT as a group project, we've got a slew of more characters coming!

Have you seen the fan-art thread btw? There's art of Ramskull, though since this IS theatre-of-the-mind there's no need to be influenced by it if you've got a concept already

D/L
    ram-skull is he any relation to goat-man?

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Nope, just Ram-man

I really should do SOMETHING with goatman at some point though hmmmm....

D/L

Nope, just Ram-man

I really should do SOMETHING with goatman at some point though hmmmm....

D/L
    That would not be a baaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAd idea!

Sorry, could not resist

Somehow I thought RamMan and Ram Skull had some kind of connection.

Where can I go to check out bios and images of some of these characters I'm not so versed on? I tried using the search engine for Ramskull but got nothing. I don't supose pointdread.org has a bios section that I missed.

*Looks sidelong at hefty*

We've got one coming! In the meantime:

Ramskull

A half-giant and pet-warrior of the Wizard king of Zalacia. Immensely powerful, and armed with an impressive array of magical artifacts, Ramskull is a dangerous foe.
    Hehe, mind you the bios are not much more detailed than the package-backs of old, but that just adds to the classic goodness

D/L

*Looks sidelong at hefty*

We've got one coming! In the meantime:

Hehe, mind you the bios are not much more detailed than the package-backs of old, but that just adds to the classic goodness

D/L
    Cool. Look forward to it. And yeah, I've seen that Ramskull pic. Just didn't know if anyone before had made any more detailed art showing his full body, etc.

Look forward to it and the next Episode or Minicast, whichever comes first.