Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guys and She-Ra

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar

Guys and She-Ra

Being a he-fan introduced by the 2002 show, I am curious about something.

I heard that the original He-Man show was created mainly for boys, and that She-Ra was made primarily for girls. So, I have to ask, why do guys watch She-Ra?

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Because we're all gay.
    Aidan Cross- Official Website
    The Bacillus- my band's official website
    Excavating the 80s- my blog on unsung bands of the 80s

Bang your head!!!
    Hordak!...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

It had better writing, stories, plots, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest

I heard that the original He-Man show was created mainly for boys, and that She-Ra was made primarily for girls. So, I have to ask, why do guys watch She-Ra?

--SMP
    Why not ask this: Why do girls watch He-Man?

IMO She-Ra is an awesome character, and I like the situation,the villains, and it's a natural extension of my MOTU fandom.

I think the short answer to "Why do guys like She-Ra" is because some guys actually *gasp* think outside the box.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Ever since I was a very young kid, I've always gravitated more towards the female superheroes...Wonder Woman, She-Ra...etc. I think one of the main reasons for that has to do with me always feeling like the underdog or maybe different? is the word I'm looking for, and sort of getting the sense that women were/are generally viewed similarly in society, especially in these superhero roles. You pick up on all the: "Oh Wonder Woman. Like SHE could ever take on Superman!" over the years from the guys. (Just an example) That sort of thing. It's easier for me to identify in that sense and bond with the gals. lol

Also, a female superhero seemingly has more to prove than a male, and so their storylines always seemed a bit more interesting. You can get away with playing a female so many more ways than a male as far as personality, relationships, style etc. With Filmation's She-Ra it was sort of 50/50. Sometimes the episodes were really girly, but then there were the hardcore ones too. I love that! I love it hardcore, but then I'm also sucker for elaborate/colorful magical powers and glamour thrown into the mix. -- Like I REALLY loved my pink Crystal Falls playset when I was a kid. lol
    Last edited by Tallstar; June 5, 2006 at 09:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar

Also, a female superhero seemingly has more to prove than a male, and so their storylines always seemed a bit more interesting. You can get away with playing a female so many more ways than a male as far as personality, relationships, style etc. With Filmation's She-Ra it was sort of 50/50. Sometimes the episodes were really girly, but then there were the hardcore ones too. I love that! I love it hardcore, but then I'm also sucker for elaborate/colorful magical powers and glamour thrown into the mix. -- Like I REALLY loved my pink Crystal Falls playset when I was a kid. lol
    No wonder you're tainted.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    Because She-Ra is hot.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    She-Ra's cartoon was specifically made to appeal to both parties (her toys are another story of course).

And, I completely agree with SlyVenom. Along with She-Ra's larger production budget, the writing was much better. The plot is different than the "good vs bad" that He-Man had.

Plus, Adora is a fox

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I watched it for the Horde but I was 11 at the time and She-Ra wore a VERY short skirt.... Maybe that helped... Did I mention the Horde...

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar

--SMP

Well if I speak for myself, it is part of the Masters universe you see, it felt like an expansion of their world. It all belongs together or is connected in some way. Like the relationship between Adam and Adora, Skeletor and Hordak, etc. And also because Hordak and his Evil Horde are really cool and not a typical enemy for a girls cartoon. Also the whole atmosphere and humor is the same as in the He-man toon. And when I was a kid and watched He-man they were showing re-runs at one point and then they started with She-ra, so to me that was like: Ooh goodie, more Masters stuff, new episodes, Hordak FINALLY! (Since I already had the toy and Hordak never appeared in the He-man cartoon I couldn't wait to see him in action.) Hell I would watch it for Imp alone! Hahah he cracks me up!
    The cartoon is just excellent and in many ways even better than the He-man cartoon, but that's my opinion...

Cheers!

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor
    Because we're all gay.
    HAHAHA! Yes also a huge reason...
    Mosquitor you're funny!

I agree SlyVenom and TheShadow:
    Far better writing than on the He-Man show. And none of Skeletors plans ever was on par with Perfuma invading the Fright Zone.

Concerning the toys, when I saw them displayed in a store, I totally digged them. Dunno why, I just think it's a toyline that looks awesome when being kept MOC/MIB.
    Oh, and I'm not gay, so that can't be the reason.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I think in many ways the She-ra series did have more to it than He-man.

THe one thing that made SHe-ra series better was that she had to deal with The Horde and to free her world from a tyrant. Episodes like Price of Freedom to me will always stand out as it is such a powerful episode.

WHile many episodes seemed questionable, there were some that stood out.

Now in answer to your original question SMP, just as Satonic mentioned earlier I say cos of The Horde, and she wore a really short skirt

I didn't really watch it because I just didn't dig it, just too girlie for me.
    Yeah, yeah a whole bunch of ya can role yer eyes but I think we've covered this ground before.
    But I will watch it when it comes out on DVD. It'll be interesting to see what I think about it then.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

The She-Ra toys were meant for girls, but the show was designed to have cross-gender appeal. MotU was alreday a hit with both sexes, and they tried to continue that tradition with She-Ra. The She-Ra show is every bit as good as the classic MotU show, and not overly girly. MotU and PoP are just great fantasy stories, and thus appeal to everyone.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Hot blondes, short skirts, and swords... what's not to like?

Correct me if I'm wrong but In the space of a year, didn't the sales of POP toys plumit? And didn't the show get canceled?

So POP being 'just as good as MOTU' kinda flies out the door right?
    www.eamonart.com

in my case

in my case its a cool show about a smart,strong and hot woman fighting evil whats not to like?
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Lycan
    I watched her because she was He-mans twin sister, origionally.

But, the Horde was very interesting.
    I'd have preffered more episodes of He-man, or to have the two series more integrated. Great show overall, but always pale in comparrison to MOTU as far as I'm concerned.

If She-ra had not been He-mans sister, I probably wouldn't have watched it atall.
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy
    Correct me if I'm wrong but In the space of a year, didn't the sales of POP toys plumit? And didn't the show get canceled?

So POP being 'just as good as MOTU' kinda flies out the door right?
    Wrong.

Aside from the obvious point that many great shows get cancelled, even if they've got decent ratings, all the time, it is important to remember that the toy sales had little to do with the shows. ZThe She-Ra toys were cool, but not nearly as exciting as the MotU toys, IMO.

And the show lasted 1.5 seasons, only half a season less than classic MotU.

I think She-Ra was much more of a success as a television series than as a doll line.

Popularity does not always equate to greatness. Look at Britney Spears.

No offense to Britney fans, BTW.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt
    Popularity does not always equate to greatness. Look at Britney Spears.
    Fair enough!
    I'll have a better opinion when I watch more episodes.
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy
    I'll have a better opinion when I watch more episodes.

dont get your hopes up my friend

i watched about 20 ep's and half were imo ridiculous, nothing of interest to really consider..besides the horde. alot of the ep's were just killing time to make a cartoon to sell toys..

at least imo again motu's cartoon had better writing and more of a serious moral to kids than pop. yea pop had its moment, but i think the writers were side tracked a bit with so much hype to make another hit that it kinda lost their edge.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt
    I think She-Ra was much more of a success as a television series than as a doll line.
    Exactly. I think this is largely part to the cartoon being written to appeal to both boys and girls, unlike She-Ra's toyline.

He-Man and She-Ra usually aired right after each other and She-Ra held most of that audience in the ratings from statistics I remember reading about before.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo
    i watched about 20 ep's and half were imo ridiculous, nothing of interest to really consider..besides the horde. alot of the ep's were just killing time to make a cartoon to sell toys..
    Oy, no no. The biggest "toy commercial" show we've had was the Mike Young Series. He-Man and She-Ra seriously do not carry that title, even though so many insist both were just 30 minute commercials. She-Ra had 93 episodes. Watch them all and then make a statement I say -- not just a handful.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

--SMP
    Just don't think too much about it.
    If you like it, watch it; if not, don't. It's that simple.

Anyway, I think like many, She-Ra was oriented for girls and boys alike.
    But that's not the case of her toyline. I never liked it.