Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guys and She-Ra

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    One thing you have to remember to is that He-Man and She-Ra's storylines for Filmation are completely mixed together. They flow together. Yes, you can watch He-Man without watching She-Ra, but, you are missing half of the story. Then you can just keep saying to yourself "Wonder who that sword belonged to that they showed in Origin of the Sorceress...".

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Evil Renegade Time Lord TheMaster's Avatar
    I think POP (the TV show) was made for both genders. And why wouldn't guys watch it, I mean come on.

I would think on top of girls that POP would appeal to straight guys also just like I would think MOTU would appeal to girls.

POP = A bunch of girls in skimpy outfits (only one or two steady main good guy) together fighting evil

MOTU = A bunch of muscle guys (only two or three steady main good females) together fighting evil

Not to mention that the storyline was IMO much better. I first started watching POP when I was a kid because I had seen the SOTS movie and loved it and wanted to see more of She-ra. Plus I have always liked more female superheros than male, their stories thend to be more interesting IMO.

see ya
    Mike
    help find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis

May is now National Cystic Fibrosis awareness Month

Inside the Sun lives the Ice People and Inside the Freezer lives the Fire Daemons!!!!!!

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man
    Hot blondes, short skirts, and swords... what's not to like?
    Oh come on! Who are you kidding?
    Like a 7 year old thinks of hot skirts and hot blondes... lol

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    She-Ra is awesome. As great as He-Man with new/different/great! characters (THE HORDE~!!), stories, colors, scenery, Loo-Kee hiding in the bushes and such, (heh). Plus the more female characters is a great change up. I love She-Ra just as much as He-Man. Had the toys (still do have some) and will for sure buy the She-Ra dvds later this year. And I'm even straight too. Thank you BCI! I can't remember She-Ra episodes as clearly as He-Man ones.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    She-ra's He-man's sister.Had to watch it.It was also an incredible cartoon!

I got into the show because of the whole He-man's twin sister bit. Plus I really liked the Horde and liked to see them in action.

And most of all hot blondes in short skirts doing high kicks
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I actually like the story of She-Ra a lot better, the whole rebels versus the Horde element was great. I havent seen all the episodes, but I've yet to see any real 'girly' ones. I think it has the upper hand in several areas, continuity, for one. And I likes me continuity

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow
    One thing you have to remember to is that He-Man and She-Ra's storylines for Filmation are completely mixed together. They flow together. Yes, you can watch He-Man without watching She-Ra, but, you are missing half of the story. Then you can just keep saying to yourself "Wonder who that sword belonged to that they showed in Origin of the Sorceress...".

Not to mention you get to see some extra scenes with your favorite MOTU characters. For example, there's a brief scene where the Sorceress cleans Grayskull Fantasia style and lots of great Skeletor scenes e.g. Spoo and He-Man's tug-of-war with the most powerful spaceship in the Galaxy!

Each one is like an extra tasty MOTU treat
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    It's funny, I actually have all 93 episodes of She-Ra so I've got to see most of them recently (I decided to not watch the whole thing so that way I have a reason to get the DVDs) and I remember loving the show as a kid, better than He-Man.

But as an adult, for some reason I like He-Man alot better. To me the writing seems better, and I like the characters more. Not to say I don't like She-Ra, 'cause I do. Just my opinion on it has changed after watching more of them recently.

Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =-
    Oh come on! Who are you kidding?
    Like a 7 year old thinks of hot skirts and hot blondes... lol
    I sure as hell did. I remember thinking She-Ra and Catra were hot.

I still do. The day my girlfriend made a Catra outfit was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    For example, there's a brief scene where the Sorceress cleans Grayskull Fantasia style
    What?! Oh dear!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy
    What?! Oh dear!
    She just waves her hand so that couple brooms start sweeping the floor. No need to have water-bucket nightmares.

Personally, it took me few years after He-Man that I even came to know about She-Ra's existence. I still liked it because it was done by the same people.

MotU had a wonderful main core of characters with real sense of family that kept them going and strong (brother-sister/friend-friend/mother-son) against this evil force threatening the balance of the Universe every week. You can't get more ideal symbolism for good vs. evil than that.

PoP gave continuation and showcased a group of girls and their enemy. There weren't as strong bond between heroes there as with He-Man, but I enjoyed it.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I used to watch POP just to see the Horde and She-Ra and her girlies used to irritate me as a kid, but now I can appreciate the show and I'm looking forward to the BCI releases, because I'll be watching it properly for the first time.

As for the toys, I've got a handful only to mix in with the MOTU figs.

I enjoyed the cartoon, it was a good cartoon, but the toys were to girly for me!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Also,seeing Secret of the Sword in the theatres didn't hurt.

Heroic Warrior
    Correct me if I'm wrong but In the space of a year, didn't the sales of POP toys plumit? And didn't the show get canceled?

So POP being 'just as good as MOTU' kinda flies out the door right?
    Yes, because we all know toy sales = quality television.

Are you for real?

Correct me if I'm wrong but In the space of a year, didn't the sales of POP toys plumit? And didn't the show get canceled?

So POP being 'just as good as MOTU' kinda flies out the door right?
    Both shows were pretty much equal as far as ratings go from what I've read. The reason PoP got cancelled had to do with the figures, particularly the fact that there was such a huge drop-off sales-wise from 1985 to 1986. The 1985 sales were pretty good. It did $58.2 million according to Roger's book. - But then I read an article before saying that the figure dropped to $40 million in 1986 and that's why Mattel pulled the plug. I'm unsure what the 1987 sales were. Probably not much. All in all, PoP probably did about $100 million in sales.

I watch the POP becasue its MOTU and I love MOTU every aspect of it!
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Wait, sales dropped to $40 mil and that wasn't good enough?

*slaps forehead*

There is always going to be gender division, even if boys are allowed to play with girls' toys or not. Sure, socialization is a factor but there is always dual play between that and genetics. She-Ra the toy was marketed towards girls because it was a miniature scale of Barbie. There had to be some facto there to get a girl to buy the product. She-Ra the cartoon was probably less gender-specific because they knew they'd bring in more viewers who were into MOTU at the same time. So at one point they are aiming to broaden their sales in one way and viewership in another. Seems kinda smart.

Liking She-Ra at this point ends up being more of a "I tried it and it's my opinion" thing than anything else. The problem isn't that guys do or don't like She-Ra, the problem is the stigmatization others will put on them if they admit to liking the show.

I say, who cares? No one is upsetting the balance of their masculinity by enjoying She-Ra. One outside the parameters of the fan-base will say your sanity is compromised simply by the fact that you enjoy cartoons of a lazy prince who turns into a man wearing furry underwear.

I love you guys.
    Last edited by LeelooMinai; June 14, 2006 at 05:06am.
    Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest
    So, I have to ask, why do guys watch She-Ra?
    Because we like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest
    I have to ask, why do guys watch She-Ra?

--SMP
    Well if your about 12-13 years old at the time......

She-Ra

Need I say more......

And the stories WERE OK but not as good as He-Man but it was acceptable....
    Last edited by Satonic; June 14, 2006 at 08:43pm.

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    Because She-Ra was He-Man's sister. They had Skeletor, Orko and other Eternian apperances. How could I not watch it? I loved the character since she first transformed in SOTS. Plus, what boy at the ages of 10-14 could turn down a blonde in heels? Wait, what was the question again?
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Well, I was a fan of He Man, She Ra is his sister, the newer villians like the Horde and Snake Men appeared on the show, He Man and Skeletor would occassionally guest star (who didn't like the Skeletor/Hordac face-offs?). And of course, all the babes. I kept hoping to see if She Ra's skirt would ever get high enough to show some panties, even at my tender age of 12...

The real question is... what boys would watch She Ra if she WASN'T He Man's sister and there was no Hordac/Snake Men/He Man & Skeletor cameos/Power Sword, etc etc. If there was no MOTU connection whatsoever, would boys still watch it?

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar
    Ever since I was a very young kid, I've always gravitated more towards the female superheroes...Wonder Woman, She-Ra...etc. I think one of the main reasons for that has to do with me always feeling like the underdog or maybe different? is the word I'm looking for, and sort of getting the sense that women were/are generally viewed similarly in society, especially in these superhero roles. You pick up on all the: "Oh Wonder Woman. Like SHE could ever take on Superman!" over the years from the guys. (Just an example) That sort of thing. It's easier for me to identify in that sense and bond with the gals. lol

Also, a female superhero seemingly has more to prove than a male, and so their storylines always seemed a bit more interesting. You can get away with playing a female so many more ways than a male as far as personality, relationships, style etc. With Filmation's She-Ra it was sort of 50/50. Sometimes the episodes were really girly, but then there were the hardcore ones too. I love that! I love it hardcore, but then I'm also sucker for elaborate/colorful magical powers and glamour thrown into the mix. -- Like I REALLY loved my pink Crystal Falls playset when I was a kid. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Tally expressed my sentiments better than I could have so I'll just say that I agree with everything he said above, which is why I love She-Ra and POP, but I'll also add that I love the show, the toys, the books and colouring books, and the Mini-Comics all inclusive, POP is just something that on a spiritual level if you will, gives me mucho pleasure. I felt the pain of having that all taken from me in the past, now I'm getting it all back, and nobody is ever going to deprive me of POP again!

Cheers, Mikey
    What they said!
    I don't really remember the toon much from when I was a kid, but I always snuck into the girls-toys aisle to check out the "dolls" I could not have...I love the WHOLE property in whatever form I can get it nowadays!

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Ive gotta be honest, I only ever watched the show in hope of seeing He-man make a guest appearance. To this day, the only POP episodes I own guest star MOTU characters, I just dont really like it when theyre not around.

Ive never been a huge fan of female superheroes (not in a sexist way). But I will admit from what else ive seen, She-ra did have some good stories.

Personally, id rather watch NA than POP (apart from MOTU guest appearances)

I watched for the Horde & She-Ra. The rest of the good guys/gals were a mixture of hits and misses for me.