Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legends of Cthulhu Retro Toy line Kickstarter!

Legends of Cthulhu Retro Toy line Kickstarter! Now with 12'' Cthulhu!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...igure-toy-line

Another new KS vying for your money. I really love this one. The execution of it, with the packaging and everything is superb.

Those look great.

I love the whole Cthulhu mythos (Cthulhu is my favourite character) and I really hope they make it.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    These look pretty cool. I really like the deep one, looks like a scooby- doo villain.

I think it's cool they actually got Eddy Mosqueda to do the sculpting and Ken Kelly to do the packaging painting!

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I think these are too detailed to work as a "retro" line, and showing your artwork holing weapons while the figures don't include any also feels like a bit of a ripoff. I think these would be neat in the $5-$7 range, but I've seen enough projects like this to know it'll be $15-$20 if they come out.

They also seem to be taking influence from the PC FPS game. Remove the mustache and that's the main hero.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I think these are too detailed to work as a "retro" line, and showing your artwork holing weapons while the figures don't include any also feels like a bit of a ripoff.
    They do come with accessories! Those mock-ups just don't show it. If you go to the actual Kickstarter you'll see it.

Spawn of Cthulhu: Necronomicon, snap-on wings
    Cultist: Staff, dagger, ceremonial mask
    The Deep One: Spear
    The Professor: Revolver, Cthulhu idol

I think these would be neat in the $5-$7 range, but I've seen enough projects like this to know it'll be $15-$20 if they come out.
    Right now they are $30/single figure. Which is a lot! The Early Bird "Cultist" level where you get all four figures works out to be about $22/each right now. If they reach their stretch goals, though, you get three extra figures so it'll be 7 figures at $12.50 or so each.

- - - Updated - - -

They just showed off the Cultist's accessories! Now I want two more to flank the leader with, wearing their masks!

c1e3250c11ea945039eb6051fed38a8f_large.jpg

Hey Jon, thanks for sharing! This is my new company WARPO's first toy offering. I'm dying to reveal the stretch goals and I think everyone will flip-out once they see them so please help spread gospel of the great old one! You can find links to our Facebook, Twitter, and Kickstarter pages here! http://www.warpo.com/kickstarter/

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Hey Jon, thanks for sharing! This is my new company WARPO's first toy offering. I'm dying to reveal the stretch goals and I think everyone will flip-out once they see them so please help spread gospel of the great old one! You can find links to our Facebook, Twitter, and Kickstarter pages here! http://www.warpo.com/kickstarter/
    No problem, man! I'm dying to SEE those stretch goals!

AND... BOOM! Funded!

Kickstarted-exclusive stretch goal! Once they hit $65,000, any level above Cultist level automatically gets Conjured Cthulhu!

Wow! Hit that first goal over night! Get ready for the second stretch goal reveal shortly!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

As a writer, the Cthulhu Mythos has inspired me beyond all belief. As a toy collector, those are incredible.
    I like to donate to charity, but man, I might have to make an exception with this one...
    Can't wait to see more!
    Follow my exploits in writing!
    writermyke.wordpress.com
    facebook.com/writermyke

The Cthulhu idol with the Professor is great!

- - - Updated - - -

Next stretch goal revealed! The High Priest!

I'm impressed. Nice work! I love the sculpting on the figures.

These look really great BUT...they're too small for my tastes. I get the whole "retro" thing but 1:18...nope. Once again great looking figures that are too small for my collection.

I'd kill for a 10 in figure of that Cthulhu.
    Last edited by Bonehead; June 13, 2014 at 06:28pm.

The final stretch goal ($200,000) is an add-on stretch goal (unlike the others where you automatically get the variants) looks like it's going to be a big Cthulhu of some sort.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm having a REALLY hard time getting excited about this 'retroline' concept...

Can anyone explain the appeal? I like the 'size' concept... I'm a big fan of the 3.75 size... but the sculpting and likeness of these figures just don't match with anything I collect.

I love the modern toys with the better articulation... but these old style T-crotchs and 5 POA... I just don't see the appeal to go back to that...

Really had high hopes for the new Bionic Man and ALIEN lines

Thanks for the comments gang.

We spent a lot if time making sure these toys were authentically vintage in every way so we could re-create an experience collectors haven't had in 30+ years; a new property in a familiar format.

They're 3 3/4" and quirky because that's how toy companies made toys back then. We went to insane lengths to get the details right from the package to the sculpt and deco.

If you don't personally have nostalgia for that era, I completely understand why they wouldn't appeal to you. But I do know many of our backers also do not have this nostalgia but somehow still appreciate them as pieces of art that create a past that never truly existed.

I didn't mention this earlier but I gotta say that packaging looks outstanding. Kudos to the designers and artists!

Necronomicon accessory revealed!

Army builder packs for Cultists and Deep Ones are now availabe!

I pitched in to get these just the other day. So excited that we should have the high priest stretch goal funded by tomorrow morning. I'm really curious what exactly the next goal is; it seems like it could be a modified version of the professor, right?

And yes, this line has to have the giant Cthulhu to really make it work! Keep pushing!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Thanks for the support, gang! I hope the army builder packs help us reach ALL our goals even faster. I for one will not be completely happy otherwise!

Nice interview with the Warpo crew, about an hour in:
    http://www.mu-podcast.com/mu-podcast...ng-old-school/

It was a fun listen. Made me want to play an RPG. It kind of passed me by as a kid. My mom was not having that. LOL.

Heroic Warrior
    I found out about this Kickstarter the day it went live and I had to pledge right away. The Cthulhu Mythos is my favorite literary universe, and I just had to have these figures. What sold me even more to the project was the retro toy commercial. It is incredibly well done. I love it. It catches all that nostalgia you want without it being cheesy and/or condescending. Loved it.

They talk a little about how it was accomplished and I was HUGELY impressed. Especially the way it was made to look so authentic! Some real love and care went into it. My only sadness is that I wish they'd made a couple of them. LOL.

Also, the hint about the "variant" of the Professor that is the next stretch goal really has me excited!

Thanks for the support, gang! I hope the army builder packs help us reach ALL our goals even faster. I for one will not be completely happy otherwise!
    I checked it out late and all the levels I would be interested in are already gone.

Just curious, why cap the $90.00 4 figure set (with stretch goals) at 100? Wouldn't this be a good one to keep open for as many people as possible to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I checked it out late and all the levels I would be interested in are already gone.

Just curious, why cap the $90.00 4 figure set (with stretch goals) at 100? Wouldn't this be a good one to keep open for as many people as possible to get?
    That was the early bird price. That same set of four figures plus stretch goals set is still available but at a slightly higher price ($111)

If anyone is in the Chicagoland area, we are having a LoC Launch Party at Chicago Comics tomorrow from 6-9 pm. You can see our protos up-close, talk toys, and win a set of figures! More details on our Facebook page.

Also, look for us to reveal the final two stretch goals VERY soon!

I went to the launch party today, and you guys... I mean, these look cool in the pics, right? But they looked even better in person. The paint jobs are phenomenal. It was so great seeing them all together. As was seeing the proto casts with the accessories.

I took home a bunch of goodies, including the print of the amazing art Ken Kelly did for the line. That's going in a frame ASAP and in my collection room. I NEED for the Kickstarter to get to 200,000. I bought the Clash of the Titans Kraken at Ka-Pow Collectables and he needs a buddy to hang out with. And clearly whatever that final KS stretch goal is, it's gonna be HUGE.