Thread: Mayor of Raytown officially proclaims July 19th Vicki Lawrence/"Mama's Family" Day!

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Mayor of Raytown officially proclaims July 19th Vicki Lawrence/"Mama's Family" Day!

One of my favorite shows of all time. I am so tickled to have happened upon this honor on its inaugural day!

Click here to see the official surprise proclomation at the 2:43 mark!

MF.jpg
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I LOVE this show. I have so many fond memories of watching it, like nothing specific which is odd (I remembered a few episodes the more memorable ones - the dance with Sonja and Buzz, all of the Eunice episodes, the wrecking ball one, the Hawaii trip were ones that stuck out) but I remembered just always being really happy having it on tv, knowing my parents were around, probably in the living room with me, or in the kitchen or something while I was playing with toys, or drawing or something. I actually just finished a rewatch of the entire series (even the Eunice movie) two days ago and aside from wishing they released all of the Carol Burnett show on dvd, or at the very least a compilation of all of 'The Family' skits, I couldn't help but find myself thinking that the show actually aged really well. It's in this timeless bubble where it still works today, and then I was thinking how much I'd love a reboot/continuation (ala Fuller House, Roseanne or even One Day At A Time) the series still had so much life left in it when it ended with Naomi having her baby girl. I need more Thelma Harper in my life.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

I'm right there with ya radrcks, this is my ultimate comfort funny show.

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    I remembered just always being really happy having it on tv, knowing my parents were around, probably in the living room with me, or in the kitchen or something while I was playing with toys, or drawing or something.
    That's a really nice sentiment, and something I can understand and relate to.

I actually just finished a rewatch of the entire series (even the Eunice movie) two days ago
    Do you have the DVD box set from Time Life/Star Vista? If not, you must get it. There are over 10 hours of bonus features (including that TV special Eunice). It is a very lovingly crafted set.

and aside from wishing they released all of the Carol Burnett show on dvd, or at the very least a compilation of all of 'The Family' skits
    I think that is every "The Family" sketch fan's dream. I know it's mine too. But, for now I'm just grateful I have seen all but 2 of the 31 "The Family" sketches. And who knows, maybe one day those other 2 ("Visit from Dan", and "The Divorce") will surface.

I couldn't help but find myself thinking that the show actually aged really well. It's in this timeless bubble where it still works today
    Yup, that's one thing the cast and crew remark on in interviews among the DVD box set's bonus features.

and then I was thinking how much I'd love a reboot/continuation (ala Fuller House, Roseanne or even One Day At A Time) the series still had so much life left in it when it ended with Naomi having her baby girl. I need more Thelma Harper in my life.
    Well, I agree, and disagree. I agree the show definitely had more life in it---and they even wanted to continue on---but, at the same time, I understand what Carol Burnett and Mary Tyler Moore say about "leaving the party early before you're asked to get out". Now while it wasn't the actors' choice to stop the series, since they were more than happy to do more episodes, ending the show after 6 seasons (4 of them with the syndicated cast) does leave it with that "fresh" feeling where it never gets stale, and you're always wanting more; so you'll always rewatch those 6 wonderful seasons. It's kind of a "Mama magic" about the series.

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I'm right there with ya radrcks, this is my ultimate comfort funny show.

That's a really nice sentiment, and something I can understand and relate to.

Do you have the DVD box set from Time Life/Star Vista? If not, you must get it. There are over 10 hours of bonus features (including that TV special Eunice). It is a very lovingly crafted set.

I think that is every "The Family" sketch fan's dream. I know it's mine too. But, for now I'm just grateful I have seen all but 2 of the 31 "The Family" sketches. And who knows, maybe one day those other 2 ("Visit from Dan", and "The Divorce") will surface.

Yup, that's one thing the cast and crew remark on in interviews among the DVD box set's bonus features.

Well, I agree, and disagree. I agree the show definitely had more life in it---and they even wanted to continue on---but, at the same time, I understand what Carol Burnett and Mary Tyler Moore say about "leaving the party early before you're asked to get out". Now while it wasn't the actors' choice to stop the series, since they were more than happy to do more episodes, ending the show after 6 seasons (4 of them with the syndicated cast) does leave it with that "fresh" feeling where it never gets stale, and you're always wanting more; so you'll always rewatch those 6 wonderful seasons. It's kind of a "Mama magic" about the series.
    I don't have the actual full on full series set, but I do have the individual season sets (Eunice is on season 2, and there are 2 or three The Family sketches spread out through the series' individual sets) - this is one of the few series/movies where I actually watched all of the special features. Are the special features any different?

Have you read "Mama for President, Good Lord Why Not?"

The book was published in 2008 and I read it at the start of this year and it's just as timeless as the show was. I feel like if they don't reboot/revive the tv show, somewhere some network or production company should option the book and turn it into a movie. Maybe air it on the anniversary of the show, or as a tv special like Eunice was. If anything it proves that Vicki is still willing to tap the Mama Harper well.

I don't have the actual full on full series set, but I do have the individual season sets (Eunice is on season 2, and there are 2 or three The Family sketches spread out through the series' individual sets) - this is one of the few series/movies where I actually watched all of the special features. Are the special features any different?

Have you read "Mama for President, Good Lord Why Not?"

The book was published in 2008 and I read it at the start of this year and it's just as timeless as the show was. I feel like if they don't reboot/revive the tv show, somewhere some network or production company should option the book and turn it into a movie. Maybe air it on the anniversary of the show, or as a tv special like Eunice was. If anything it proves that Vicki is still willing to tap the Mama Harper well.
    I actually haven't read that book yet, but I have seen Vicki's traveling show "Vicki & Mama: A Two-Woman Show", which is fantastic.

Oh good, you have the whole series. The box set has 2 additional discs of bonus features (in the image I included in my original post, they are the 2 DVD cases at the bottom left of the photo). They may be spread across the individual season sets, or they may be exclusive to this box set alone. Here are the details:

Bonus Disc 1

The Carol Burnett Show Family sketch (Family Reunion)
    Vint and Naomi Featurette (As a Couple)
    Vint and Naomi Featurette (The Characters)
    Roundtable
    Extra Bloopers
    Beverly Archer (Iola) Interview
    Allan Kayser (Bubba) Interview
    Vicki Lawrence (Mama) Interview
    Dorothy Lyman (Naomi) Interview
    Ken Berry (Vint) Interview

Bonus Disc 2

Family Tree: The Seeds Featurette (Show History)
    Family Style Featurette
    Family Fun and Games Featurette
    Family Folklore Featurette (Crack-ups, Mishaps, and Bloopers)
    Ret Turner (Wardrobe) Interview
    Rick Hawkins (Executive Producer) Interview
    Jim Evering (Writer) Interview
    Manny Basanese (Writer) Interview

Also, if you haven't, you really, really need to watch Vicki's 3 1/2 hour in-depth interview at the Emmy TV Legends web site (Ken Berry and Harvey Korman and Tim Conway also have interviews there, as does Carol, but hers is a paltry 1-hour; the site says she was short for time that day and they hope to reschedule). It's a fantastic interview:

The Family Reunion sketch isn't on the individual sets and the bloopers aren't there. IIRC the skits on the series sets are the ones where Eunice found out Mama killed her pet and they at the bird for dinner, and the one where Mama and Eunice go to Bubba's school and have a parent teacher conference. There was a get together of the syndicated cast where they talked, as well as a feature on Eunice, that you didn't mention that's on the individual sets as well. The other interviews seem like they could be the same ones you mentioned earlier.