Thread: Sony Pictures & Marvel Studios' 2017 Spider-Man movie thread

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!

Sony Pictures & Marvel Studios' 2017 Spider-Man movie thread

Well, the studios have found their director and the actor who will play Peter Parker / Spider-Man.

From Marvel Studios:

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios are proud to announce that after a full worldwide casting search, Tom Holland will play Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the next Spider-Man film, in theaters in IMAX and 3D on July 28, 2017. The film will be directed by Jon Watts, director of “Cop Car,” the upcoming thriller that made its debut earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival.

Marvel and Sony Pictures, and producers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal conducted an extensive search for both the actor and the director. The studios and producers were impressed by Holland’s performances in “The Impossible,” “Wolf Hall,” and the upcoming “In the Heart of the Sea,” and by a series of complex screen tests. Following Marvel’s tradition of working with the brightest next wave of directors, Watts also went through multiple meetings with Feige, Pascal, and the studio, before winning the job.

Commenting on the announcement, Tom Rothman, Sony Pictures Motion Pictures Group Chairman, said, “It’s a big day here at Sony. Kevin, Amy and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that’s why their results are so outstanding. I’m confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I’ve worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent. For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom’s screen tests were special. All in all, we are off to a roaring start.”

Feige commented, “As with James Gunn, Joss Whedon, and the Russo brothers, we love finding new and exciting voices to bring these characters to life. We spent a lot of time with Jon and find his take and work inspiring.”

Pascal added, “Sony, Marvel, Kevin and I all knew that for Peter Parker, we had to find a vibrant, talented young actor capable of embodying one of the most well-known characters in the world. With Tom, we’ve found the perfect actor to bring Spider-Man’s story into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

Sony Pictures will finance and release worldwide the next installment of the $4 billion Spider-Man franchise on July 28, 2017, in a film co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the Web-Slinger.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

---------

Sounds like they don't want anything to go wrong with this version of Spidey... hopefully this will be the Spider-Man movie we have all been waiting for! (Although, I still like how Sam Raimi handled the franchise... until Sony stepped-in and screwed part 3 up beyond repair.)
    DESPERATELY need ThunderCats Minimates series one!!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Also in 2017, Andrew Garfield will star in the next Avengers film, where he will be reprising his role as Spider-Man for the final time. I can't wait to watch Spider-Man teaming up with the Avengers for the first time just like in the comics and cartoons.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Also in 2017, Andrew Garfield will star in the next Avengers film, where he will be reprising his role as Spider-Man for the final time. I can't wait to watch Spider-Man teaming up with the Avengers for the first time just like in the comics and cartoons.
    Nope, Garfield is long gone. Holland will be your Spider-man going forward in every movie.
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Nope, Garfield is long gone. Holland will be your Spider-man going forward in every movie.
    Yeah, Garfield is no more, I was surprised with this news. I mean they really work hard on Spiderman and they just decide to change the lead role. 0.o

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Yeah, Garfield is no more, I was surprised with this news. I mean they really work hard on Spiderman and they just decide to change the lead role. 0.o
    I wasn't. ASM2 made less money than ASM1. Garfield is associated with Sony's attempt at a Spider-Man universe, meched out Rhinos and diseased Goblins. ASM2 seemed more concerned with setting up a Sinister Six movie. Sony wised up and decided that they'd rather make Spider-Man right. Everyone wins -- Disney, Marvel and Sony.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

First Spider-Man film since Spider-Man 3 I'm actually excited about. Really excited. This is the first time I'm actually glad we're getting a reboot. The director choice I find very intriguing, too. Really love it when they go for virtual newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Yeah, I figured Andrew Garfield was done after ASM 2... this announcement all but confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yeah, I figured Andrew Garfield was done after ASM 2... this announcement all but confirms it.
    Here is 100% confirmation:

Marvel Studios has officially confirmed that Tom Holland’s Spider-Man will appear in Captain America: Civil War.

During their interview Marvel Studios executive Kevin Feige, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Tom Holland, who was just announced as Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures’ new Spider-Man, is heading to Captain America: Civil War’s set.

“Holland will report immediately to the set of the currently shooting Captain America: Civil War, which Marvel has scheduled for a May 6, 2016, release and in which the newest Spider-Man will make his first onscreen appearance,” The Reporter’s Gregg Kilday wrote.
    http://comicbook.com/2015/06/24/spid...ica-civil-war/

I just hope this leads to the first worthy Green Goblin on screen!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

tom looks like he should be dancing with b arney the dinosaur or learning letters with grover rather than being spiderman. What is he, 12?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    tom looks like he should be dancing with barney the dinosaur or learning letters with grover rather than being spiderman.
    Well, it looks like he'll be earning lots and lots of money soon...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I wondered the same thing, found out he's 19. It will allow them to milk him being young for a bit though for sure if he looks that young at the age of 19, which can work in their favor. That is the downfall of many of these younger characters when you go to make movies.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I like him. I hope he slays it. We need a good Spiderman after the last two.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    This is super exciting!

I'm really looking forward to Cap 3... I enjoyed Winter Soldier ten times more than Age of Ultron.

Still wondering just how Spidey will fit into all of this... and the Ant-Man for that matter...

Well at least Sony/Marvel Studios didn't replace Peter with an inferior character...**cough cough**...Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    He got himself fired from the series by snubbing one of the heads of Sony. Some even said it was on purpose just so he could get out of a franchise that quite honestly wasn't doing his career any favors.

Most of this info was leaked during the Sony email hacks that occurred.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/05/01/spider-man-actor-andrew-garfield-got-himself-fired-from-series-by-insulting-sony-chief

garfield just seemed like hehad a chip to grind. if he didn't want to be spiderman, why even accept the part?
    I thought he got fired because he snubbed that kid at the oscars.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    garfield just seemed like hehad a chip to grind. if he didn't want to be spiderman, why even accept the part?
    I thought he got fired because he snubbed that kid at the oscars.
    Why do most people accept jobs that they don't like? They use that job for a purpose.

Spider-Man was probably a career high profile shot in the arm that he needed to reach the big leagues. With two Spidey movies under his arm, everyone knows who he is now. Before that, people didn't know who he was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Well at least Sony/Marvel Studios didn't replace Peter with an inferior character...**cough cough**...Miles.
    That's the great part about the MCU. It's closer to the spirit of the characters than the comics that it came from! Hulk is Banner. Tony is Iron Man. Steve is Cap. Thor is the son of Odin. The only "knockoff hero" is War Machine. Even Sam Wilson is the Falcon.

Which is crazy...say if you loved the Falcon from Winter Soldier. If you try to go into a LCBS now, you'll find that he's now Captain America. You become a fan of Thor from Age of Ultron? You grab his book and now a woman has replaced him. Thor has his arm missing and carries an axe now.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Channing Tatum recently came out and said he hates the G.I. Joe movies, but his contract with Paramout basically forced him to make the movie. He actually wanted to be Snake Eyes.

The chip on the shoulder here had more to do with what happened in the second movie. He implied in an interview there was a lot of shot footage that wasn't used because Sony decided to add in a third storyline, and they didn't go back to fix up the holes in the two main storylines. On top of that he is kind of known for being in generally the two least accepted Spider-man movies to date. The second ASM actually had the basis of a fairly decent film. Garfield was still hard to buy has Peter Parker, but they dropped things like the Skateboarding etc to focus more on the relationship he had with Gwen and his parents. to have the parent storyline pretty much dropped and several key scenes dealing with the relationship with his girlfriend and him being a superhero, so they could try to build up for a Sinister Six movie.

I admitted right after viewing it, it could have been a really good movie if they hadn't tried to cram too much story into such a little spot. And come to find out it was because of Executive Meddling. Hey look Marvel did this with the Avengers let's try it also....
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it