Page 2 of 351 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

A way around it would be like a free loader type thing. It would boost the sales of Memory cards too. If they wanted to go about it in a legit way. It can save info about your game and system to a memory card. So when you go to your friends house it shows that it is your copy in your possession playing at someone elses house. Crisis averted.

I would bet they would figure out a way to do it if they haven't already. Sony is all about integration between products. So why wouldn't they. The home brewers already figured out how to take the PSP games off the disks. And the PS1 games on PSP will be Roms. So.. why not reverse it. Bada boom Bada bang!
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; July 11, 2006 at 04:33pm.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    I would bet they would figure out a way to do it if they haven't already. Sony is all about integration between products. So why wouldn't they. The home brewers already figured out how to take the PSP games off the disks. And the PS1 games on PSP will be Roms. So.. why not reverse it. Bada boom Bada bang!
    I'd definitely like to play a few PSP games on a television. As I've said earlier, I hate those tiny screens on handhelds. One PSP game I'd really like to play, the Mega Man X remake.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    I'd definitely like to play a few PSP games on a television. As I've said earlier, I hate those tiny screens on handhelds. One PSP game I'd really like to play, the Mega Man X remake.
    powered UP! Is that what your talking about? That's the remake of Megaman 1 with newer graphics and Megaman has a bigger head.

Megaman Maverick Hunters is a new game as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it was a whole new game. They have 2 so far on PSP is why I am asking.

powered UP! Is that what your talking about? That's the remake of Megaman 1 with newer graphics and Megaman has a bigger head.

Megaman Maverick Hunters is a new game as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it was a whole new game. They have 2 so far on PSP is why I am asking.
    No, I'm talking about Maverick Hunters. It's a remake of the first Mega Man X game just like Powered Up is a remake of the first Mega man game. I'd like to play that. I've read you can play through the game as Vile (the purple Boba Fett looking guy). http://psp.ign.com/objects/770/770343.html

I'm not interested in Powered Up because of the whole big headed thing. No thanks. Didn't Capcom add two new boss to that game that didn't appear in the original?
    Last edited by CJ Clifford; July 11, 2006 at 05:03pm.

No, I'm talking about Maverick Hunters. It's a remake of the first Mega Man X game just like Powered Up is a remake of the first Mega man game. I'd like to play that. I've read you can play through the game as Vile (the purple Boba Fett looking guy). http://psp.ign.com/objects/770/770343.html

I'm not interested in Powered Up because of the whole big headed thing. No thanks. Didn't Capcom add two new boss to that game that didn't appear in the original?
    You got me. As much of a Mega Man fan as I am. I am ashamed to say I haven't picked these 2 up yet. I was busy with the 2 anniversary collections I geuss. The Megaman one and the Megaman X one.

I feel bad but if they are just remakes then it's slightly ok.

You got me. As much of a Mega Man fan as I am. I am ashamed to say I haven't picked these 2 up yet.
    For shame AeroStratos88, for shame. Mega Man Maverick Hunter X is the reason I hope you're right and the PS3 will eventually have some kind of PSP adapter like the Gameboy Player for Gamecube.

I was busy with the 2 anniversary collections I geuss.
    You know, even after all these years, I still can't beat Sigma at the end of Mega Man X. I'm a sad little man.

The 32x was indeed a 32 bit system. But Cartridge based. And where Sega essentially shot it self in the foot.

The PSX was released and was a 32 bit System from the get go.

The Saturn was a 32 bit system but alot harder to program for.

So neither Sony nor Sega ever released a 64 bit system.
    First, I've never understood the cartridge hate. In general I find them to have faster load times and far greater duribility than CDs....wait, I think we've had this discussion before.... Speaking of CDs, I will point out that I never said the Sega CD was a great add-on, just pointing out that it was there while no one else had it. That's actually a big point when examining the compitition with the TG16. The hype for the TG16 always included the promise of a CD add-on which didn't materlilze in the US ntill it was way to late, and then it was slapped together.

I also notice you don't mention the Dreamcast. Admittedly it was a last ditch attempt by Sega to stay in the market. At that point, the marketing department admitted that they had about 6 months to capture the market or Sonys PS2 would destroy them.

As far as the 16 bit systems go Nintendo and Sega were pretty much neck and neck until the whole Mortal Kombat thing happened. That's when Sega really gained a leg up on Nintendo. This is another point when Nintendo shot it'self in the foot. To this day it's still seen as a kiddie system. But you'd ask me as a kid and today as an adult you could see that the SNES was a better system. The games where crisper and the Sony chip they used for sound delivered better soundtracks.
    Again I'd disagree with this not only because of the flexibility of the console and the selection of games. I also generally favored the look of games on the Genesis when you had a release like Justice League Taskforce or Mortal Kombat that hit both consoles. Still it's really a matter of personal prefrance. look! We're being civil! )

Atari didn't almost destroy the industry but it did crash it.

The video game crash of 1983 was the sudden crash of the video game business and the bankruptcy of a number of companies producing home computers and video game consoles in North America in late 1983 and early 1984. It brought an end to what is considered the second generation of console video gaming.

If Atari was a little arrogant they had a right to be, unlike Nintendo at the time, Atari had alot of competition. Ever hear of the Collecovision, Mattel Intellivision, Commodore 64, Fairchild Channel F, Odyssey2, RCA Studio II, 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System, Bally Astrocade, APF Imagination Machine, Epoch Cassette Vision, Milton Bradley Vectrex, Emerson Arcadia 2001, Sega SG-1000, even the Atari 5200. These were all at one time or another sharing shelf space with the 2600. So yeah it started making crappy games at the end of it's run but it was a 5 year old system at that point and the first of it's kind with the longevity.

During this period of time, Nintendo rekindled their desire to release the Famicom in the USA. Since the company had very little experience with the United States market, they had previously attempted to contract with Atari for the system's distribution in 1983. However, a fiasco involving Coleco and Donkey Kong soured the relationship between the two during the negotiations, and Atari refused to back Nintendo's console. The video game crash soon took out not only Atari, but the vast majority of the American market itself. Nintendo was on its own.
    Great details on the crash. I have no quarral with it though I would point out that a lot of those systems mention not all ) were far inferior copycats. Still, you are right. Atari had reason for it's confidance.

I do stand by my statement about the crash nearly destroying the industry -which is attriutable to Atari. Department stores and toy sotres alike were dumping video games left and right. Video games were poisen to the market, which is why Nintendo designed the look of thier console and cartridges to be radically diffrent than the atari and company. They were going for more of a VCR look than a video game look, it's also the reason we have the Nintendo Entertainment System rather than the Nintendo Video Game System or something like that.

Interesting observation that Atari had better reason to be smug than Nintendo though. I've never considered that before. Could that same reasoning be applied to Sony?
    I'm perfectly normal! It's the rest of the world that is NUTS!

Sorry I didn't mention the Dream Cast cause it was a 128 bit system and the discussion at hand was about 64 bit systems. The Dreamcast is a good system. I don't care what people say. That thing was a gamers machine. I have 2 I still play on a US system and a Japanese one. I still fire up my Saturn. And not even a week ago we fired up the Genesis to Play some ol school X-men and Fired up the Master system to play some Safari Hunt.

I stick to my guns. MK looked better on SNES the genesis had blood. Now MKII that's a whole different ball game. And I believe Turtles Tournament fighter looked better on Genesis than it did on The SNES. But most games that came out for Snes came out for Genesis too.

Sorry I didn't mention the Dream Cast cause it was a 128 bit system and the discussion at hand was about 64 bit systems. The Dreamcast is a good system. I don't care what people say. That thing was a gamers machine. I have 2 I still play on a US system and a Japanese one. I still fire up my Saturn. And not even a week ago we fired up the Genesis to Play some ol school X-men and Fired up the Master system to play some Safari Hunt.

I stick to my guns. MK looked better on SNES the genesis had blood. Now MKII that's a whole different ball game. And I believe Turtles Tournament fighter looked better on Genesis than it did on The SNES. But most games that came out for Snes came out for Genesis too.
    Yeah but TMNT TF had a better roster on the SNES.
    And did you know they made an NES version of that game?
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

A Wii News Update:

Just got the latest copy of GamePro today and finally got around to checking it out. Noticed something interesting involving the Wii-mote. Guess this should have been obvious, but it didn't occur to me. In order for the Wii-mote to work, you have to connect a special motion sensor to your tv. It looks like a thin, long, tiny bar or something.

The artical says the Wii-mote works on a combination of Bluetooth and infrared to communicate with the Wii. I guess that sensor bar is the infrared part?

Additional PS3 News courtesy of the Spawn.com message boards:

Sony's on a timetable
    P.J. McNealy of American Technology Researchers thinks that the PlayStation 3 isn't going to see the assembly lines until at least another month. "We don't think [Sony] is going to be in assembly for another four to six weeks -- end of July, early August," he theorized at the MI6 conference.

While he didn't say that Sony would miss their November 17th deadline, he did hint that the complex nature of the console will limit the yields they can come up with. "This is now the most complex box that's ever been built in this industry. It's going to have a Cell processor, it's going to have a Blu-ray drive. The number of pieces that are going into this box are even more astounding [than the over 1700 parts used in the Xbox 360]," explained McNealy as quoted by IGN. "While Sony has certain manufacturing advantages at the end of the day, this is a very complex process, and they're going to be limited to the yields that they can come up with."

Sony's stated goal is to build six million PlayStation 3 units by the end of March 2007, and a monthly shipping target of one million per month starting with the November launch.

Yeah I thought everyone knew that. It's why I made my Power Glove refrence a month or so ago in another thread. Actually the set up I saw had 3 bars ala the power glove. One on the bottom and one on the right and left. That needed to be mounted to play it. It's just gonna look out of place with my set up.

Yeah I thought everyone knew that. It's why I made my Power Glove refrence a month or so ago in another thread. Actually the set up I saw had 3 bars ala the power glove. One on the bottom and one on the right and left. That needed to be mounted to play it. It's just gonna look out of place with my set up.
    I assume you're talking about the Wii-mote sensor bar. I didn't know anything about it. I assumed that motion sensing was all done with that Bluetooth stuff (whatever that is). The GamePro pic only shows one bar, setting in front or on top of a television.

The dreamcast seemed to have a similar fate as the Jaguar; a system advanced beyond the more mainstream technology with few games and a small loyal following; not to mention a quick death.

And the Master system....*sigh* that was my first platform after my Atari, which was my only platform for 10 years!

I could play Y's : Vanished omens for weeks at a time...which is good because you practically HAD to if you wanted to get anywhere.....Alex Kidd was no Mario though.
    I'm perfectly normal! It's the rest of the world that is NUTS!

I'd say the Dreamcast was way more succesfull than the Jaguar. First of all if Intellivision (which was the first 16-bit console) taught us anything it's that people don't want to play a game system where the controller looks like a calculator. And The Jaguar 64 was a sham it was not a 64 bit console it had a "64 bit co-processor".

To break that down. It had a Graphics processing unit (GPU) – 32-bit RISC architecture, 4K internal cache, provides wide array of graphic effects and a Digital Signal Processor – 32-bit RISC architecture, 8k internal cache.

So 32 bit processor + 32 bit processor = 64 and Atari claimed to have a 64 bit system.

"However, the system was eventually considered a failure, due to the perception of the Jaguar having poor games and an overall lack of software developed. Developers criticized the Jaguar as being difficult to develop for. This was due to serious bugs in the released hardware (such as a memory controller flaw that could halt processor execution out of system RAM). Customers complained the Jaguar controller was needlessly complex, with over 15 buttons."

The only real 64 bit system was the N64 which is why I didn't include the Jaguar in my previous posts. That and it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

The 3DO had co processors too but it was still a 32-bit system.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; July 12, 2006 at 12:30am.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    MK on SNES was pretty much a joke. Not only did it not have the blood, but the controls were aweful. There was a delay between hitting the button on the controller and then having your character actually do the command on screen. It was a bad version. But, MKII on SNES was awesome. It was probably the best version ever released on a console up until they released Arcade Treasures 2 for the more current systems last year.

TMNT Tournament Fighters isn't really a game that you can fairly compare on both systems, at least not in the same way as you can with the MK games.

I have both the SNES and Genesis versions, and they are two completely different games. But, all in all I think the SNES one was much better. It felt more like a fighting game, and worked better as one, too.
    The graphics were odd looking on the Genesis version, and the whole fighting system was severly lacking compared to most other fighting games. It wasn't a terrible game, but also wasn't great.

At the end of the day though, it does come down to personal preference. If someone does prefer the Genesis version over the SNES, then there's really nothing wrong with that. It's just what they happen to prefer.

Oh, and going back to the subject of the first MK on SNES. While it was a bad game, if you have it, I recommend playing it with a Game Genie, and using the code to always fight Goro. It's funny because it lets you perform the fatalities on him, and they look weird (though if I recall correctly, there were 2 characters' fatalities that you couldn't do without it freezing the game. I think those were Johnny Cage and Kano, but its been a while and Id have to double check).
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; July 12, 2006 at 09:20am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

This is really interesting. Pits the price of a PS3 against bundles of the other two. Really shows where you can get more for your money...

* The “Other Two Systems” bundle ( $650 ):

$250 - Wii (estimated price, could be lower but not higher)
    $400 - XBox360

Okay, this is $50 more than the PS3, but it is still close enough, and you get both of the other systems for around the same price as the PS3.

-----

* The “And A Friend” bundle ( $600 ):

$250 - Wii
    $260 - 2 DS Lites
    $90 - extra Wii-mote and 2 retro controllers (estimate)

With this bundle you and a friend can be playing games at home or on the road. New Wii games, DS games, or old two-player classics like Contra, Blades of Steel, or Techmo Bowl. This bundle assumes that the Wii will only come with one controller and that the price of extra Wii-motes will be about $40. It also assumes that the price of the retro “shell” will be about $25.

-----

* The “360 Fanboy” bundle ( $580 ):

$400 - XBox360
    $50 - Extra wireless controller
    $70 - XBox360 Live 12 Month Gold Kit
    $60 - 1 Xbox360 game

For less than the PS3 you can get more than everything that you need to be playing HD games. And with the extra $20 you can get some points to spend on XBox Live.

-----

* The “Wii Fanboy” bundle ( $570 ):

$250 - Wii (estimate)
    $120 - 3 extra Wii-motes (estimate)
    $50 - 2 retro controllers (estimate)
    $150 - 3 Wii games

Wow. Lot of stuff here (a lot of estimates too). You and three friends can enjoy your three new Wii games (Excite Truck, Zelda and Red Steel?) and if you get in the retro mood you can use some of the extra $30 you saved to download some of your old favorites from the Virtual Console. The price of the Wii console will not go above $250 (as stated by Nintendo) and the game price has also been set at $50.

-----

* The “I Thought The PSP Was Pricey” bundle ( $600 ):

$200 - Playstation Portable
    $50 - 1 Gig Memory Stick
    $350 - 10 PSP games (at an average cost of $35)

When the PSP came out it seemed kinda pricey, but it dropped $50 and then the PS3 price came out and it really doesn’t look so bad anymore. Especially when you can get all of this for the same price as the PS3 with no games. The new games cost $40, but there are a few older games (like Lumines) that are only $20 so I dropped the average a bit since you have to own Lumines. I could have included UMD movies in this too, but just because you have extra money doesn’t mean you should waste it.

-----

* The “DS Wi-Fi” bundle ( $590 ):

$360 - 12 months of Broadband
    $130 - DS Lite
    $35 - Metriod Prime Hunters
    $35 - Mario Kart DS
    $30 - Tetris DS

Your local price on broadband may vary a bit. Some people may pay $15 a month and some pay $45 a month, so $30 is a good average. If you already have broadband you can spend the money on an extra DS Lite and an extra copy of each of the games to give to a friend. Oh, and you could also get two copies of Lost Magic and Animal Crossings for a total of ten games and two systems.

-----

* The “Not another BetaMax” bundle ( $600 ):

$500 - Toshiba HD DVD player
    $100 - 4 HD DVD Movies

Blu-Ray or HD DVD? Who cares? Neither format really has any of the appeal that DVD did when it replaced VHS, but if you have to be on the cutting edge and want to get the PS3 just for the HD movies then you might want to also look at HD DVD. Also, there’s little doubt that the price on HD DVD players will drop by November, but the PS3 price will not.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mathias
    First, I've never understood the cartridge hate. In general I find them to have faster load times and far greater duribility than CDs....wait, I think we've had this discussion before.... Speaking of CDs, I will point out that I never said the Sega CD was a great add-on, just pointing out that it was there while no one else had it. That's actually a big point when examining the compitition with the TG16. The hype for the TG16 always included the promise of a CD add-on which didn't materlilze in the US ntill it was way to late, and then it was slapped together.
    CD's/DVD's/etc do have their disadvantages when compared to cartridges, but they tend to be few and far between.

Loading times are probably the biggest problem with disc based games, particularly during the mid 90s when PS1 and Saturn were around. But, that problem has improved quite a bit over the years.

Then there is the durability issue, and yeah, if you drop a cartridge and the outer plastic gets scratched a little, it probably won't effect the cart's ability to work at all, when a similar scratch on the surface of a disc probably would.

But still, discs were the next logical step. Cartridges just cost more to make, and in general couldn't hold as much info as a disc (at least not without pushing the cost up even more than it already is for a cartridge).

This is particularly true when it comes to some games like the Final Fantasy titles that came out for PS1. They are were on multiple discs. Since discs were cheap to produce, it didn't ad much to the cost of making the game. Compare that to a cartridge based system, in which it would have cost A LOT more to either make a cartridge (on a system like N64) with enough memory to hold an entire PS Final Fantasy game, or would cost a lot to make it multi-cartridge. So, it would simply drive the price through the roof.

And on the subject of 32X,
    While it was 32-bit, the 32X was never really nearly as powerful as Saturn or PS1. It really was a bad move for Sega to even put that add-on out since it was only a year before their new system was going to debut.
    In fact, many of the games weren't even fully 32-bit. Some of the graphics were actually processed through the Genesis. I know this because if you have a set up like I do, with the 32X and the first Genesis, you can actually conect an RF unit from the back of the 32X to one TV, and an RF unit from the back of the Genesis to another TV at the same time (I don't think this can be done with the second Genesis), and on the TV that the Genesis is directly hooked up to, it will only show the portion of the graphics that are processed through it. I did this before. On some games, like the 32X version of MKII (which was disapointing), you would see everything on the TV the 32X was hooked to, but on the other TV that the Genesis was hooked to, it would show the backgrounds and things like that. The case was similar for Knuckles Chaotix. So, it was rarely used for true, full, 32-bit graphics. If it was capable of such things, they sure as heck didn't utilize it. So, that was a bad move.

The sad thing is that the load time issue is something that Sega in Japan kind of found something of a solution to with the Saturn. This, unfortunately, was after Saturn was basically dead in America (or at least close to it).
    They actually made a RAM expansion cartridge that could fit into the cartridge slot on the system that was conpatible with certain games. I know many of the 2D capcom fighting games that came out in Japan for Saturn and not here utilized this feature. When the cart was inserted into the system, the combined Loading capacity of the system and the cart was triple that of the system alone.
    I actually imported X-Men VS. Street Fighter and Marvel VS. Street Fighter for it (the only truely good versions of those games to come out on consoles, IMO), and I got a generic cartridge that acts as both the RAM expansion (just like the official japanese one) and the region decoder. There is virtually no loading times on these games.

The versions of these same games that came out for PS1 in the US were a joke. They had horrible load times, and unlike the arcade and Saturn versions, you couldn't pick 2 characters and tag team between them. Instead, you had to pick one 'main' character to play as, and a second one who would only occasionally jump out to do one move (though, there was a special mode in which you could have the full tag team set up as long as both players chose the same characters). I don't think the PS1 was designed with the same RAM expansion in mind.

Now, I don't know how well this extra cart would have helped with fully 3D games in terms of eliminating load times (or if they even ever developed full 3D games that would work with it). But, I would imagine that at the very least it would help quite a bit, if not elimiate things completely. So, its kind of sad that something similar to this was never utilized in America at that time. But, the load times of newer systems are lower than that of the older ones, so its not as much of an issue now.

So, despite any downside that they may have, the switch to CD style formats was the most logical at that point in the gaming industry, and it severly hurt Nintendo to not jump on board with that. As much of a Nintendo fan as I am, I really would like to smack them around a bit for not doing the right thing at that point in time.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Go Xbox Go!

Sorry couldn't resist.

The latest out of Tokyo reports that PlayStation 2 outsold Xbox 360 by 21,236 units in the last week of June. Not good. Sure the Japanese launch of Xbox 360 was marred by a lack of content targeted at Japanese consumer interests, but Mizuguchi's N3 Ninety Nine Nights has since been released, and so has Final Fantasy XI -- though we suspect Japanese gamers are content playing FFXI on their PS2s, as they've been doing since 2002.

With Sony and Nintendo on the verge of launching their new consoles, Microsoft has run out of time to gain a significant foothold in Japan. A May poll, conducted by Cross Marketing, found that out of 366 self-identified gamers, 256 of them want a PlayStation 3. Of the respondents that were permitted to select multiple next-generation consoles, 127 said they wanted Wii. Only 93 said they wanted Xbox 360. "I can't say I'm beaming with confidence in Japan," president and chief executive officer of Microsoft Japan Darren Huston admitted at a company event last Thursday. Not good.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/13/mi...n-battle-with/

The poor sales of the 360 in Japan doesn't surprise me. After all, wasn't the original pretty much a bomb in Japan as well. That's sad being out sold by a piece of equipment that will be replaced in a matter of months, but at least it was by what many would consider a small margin.

I've read that one thing keeping Japanese game developers from really supporting the 360 is the lack of an internal HD-DVD drive. They want the extra space of an HD-DVD to put their large cut scenes on. There's plenty of room on a standard DVD for games, but once they start adding those cut scenes, forget about it.

Intresting...

I did a search for Xbox 360 threads and couldn't find one.

Anyway heres the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive. Can we say shooting yourself in the foot.

lol it looks like the size comparison between the 360 and the Wii.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Anyway heres the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive. Can we say shooting yourself in the foot.
    Clarification please.

If you're saying it's a shot in the foot because the HD-DVD drive isn't an integrated component of the 360 and can't be used for games, only watching movies, then yeah, that's a shot in the foot. Those Japanese developers really want the extra space an HD-DVD would provide for their monstrous cut scenes.

Clarification please.

If you're saying it's a shot in the foot because the HD-DVD drive isn't an integrated component of the 360 and can't be used for games, only watching movies, then yeah, that's a shot in the foot. Those Japanese developers really want the extra space an HD-DVD would provide for their monstrous cut scenes.
    Yes but A. They thought the original Xbox was too big and they didn't like the size of the 360 much and you seriously think now they are gonna buy the system and the attachment. Just to have HD-DVD. No sir. As much as everyone is complaining about the Price of the PS3 this adds at least 100 to the price tag. If it's even going to go for that low. For an HD-DVD player. Then you add to the fact that they are gonna want to integrate it and then you have all the people who are gonna feel shafted cause they have to rebuy a 360 with an integrated HD-DVD Drive. I personally wouldn't even know what to do with it cause I'm sure it will run off an external power source and I'm just running out of plugs.

oh yeah and theres this little thing called HDMI which the 360 doesn't have that's required to play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

"Every 360 sold to this day, and likely for many more months, if not years, will lack HDMI, which will result in a fractured installation base. Owners will feel cheated, and Microsoft will have a difficult situation on its hands if it must explain to consumers that some 360s will play ICT protected HD-DVDs and others won't.

The necessity of a dedicated HDMI port also suggests that the standard Xbox 360 connection, which accepts dongles for S-Video, component, and VGA outputs, may be incapable of DVI output. While Microsoft has long maintained a DVI dongle would be made available when the market demanded it, future plans for an HDMI port may put DVI support on a back burner.

Mixing even more rumor into the mill, Toshiba executives commented a few weeks ago that they knew of Microsoft plans to make HD-DVD a built-in feature, rather than an add-on. Microsoft has since denied such plans, but the possibility still seems like a logical option. It may be that HDMI-equipped Xbox 360s will be the only units to include a HDMI port, which would address the ICP issue and maintain a more unified installation base. On the other hand, the move would mean owners of the HD-DVD add-on will be out of luck."

http://gear.ign.com/articles/717/717772p1.html
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; July 14, 2006 at 11:36am.

Heroic Warrior
    Speaking with Electronic News’s Ed Sperling, Tom Reeves, vice president of semiconductor and technology services for IBM, said that defects are a huge problem with the Cell processor chip, which is one of the major components of the PlayStation 3.

”It becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is,” he says. “With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, you’re lucky to get 10 or 20 percent.”

Reeves also says that if more than one of the eight cores on the Cell processor should be blown during use, that’s it for the system. “If it’s within warranty, you send it back. If it’s not, your game doesn’t work anymore.”

looks like we'll have another bunch of faulty sony machines - so this system may sell big because people will have to keep buying replacements just like the PS2 - hey why change what worked inthat past right??

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian
    looks like we'll have another bunch of faulty sony machines - so this system may sell big because people will have to keep buying replacements just like the PS2 - hey why change what worked inthat past right??
    I don't know doesn't seem to be helping the 360 out much.