Page 3 of 351 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    Yes but A. They thought the original Xbox was too big and they didn't like the size of the 360 much and you seriously think now they are gonna buy the system and the attachment. Just to have HD-DVD. No sir.
    Hey, I'm not arguing with you, I just wanted you to clarify your reasoning for the shot in the foot comment because you really didn't give a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    Hey, I'm not arguing with you, I just wanted you to clarify your reasoning for the shot in the foot comment because you really didn't give a reason.
    I edited it and clarified a little more. Basically they jumped the gun and put the system out just to capitalize the holiday season. Now they are paying for it.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    I edited it and clarified a little more. Basically they jumped the gun and put the system out just to capitalize the holiday season. Now they are paying for it.
    I'm still waiting to see if that rumor I found on Wii60.com pans out (see first post). If Microsoft actually recalls all 360s and upgrades them with an HDMI port and switches out the DVD drive for an HD-DVD drive (free), I'll be asolutely amazed.

I'm still waiting to see if that rumor I found on Wii60.com pans out (see first post). If Microsoft actually recalls all 360s and upgrades them with an HDMI port and switches out the DVD drive for an HD-DVD drive (free), I'll be asolutely amazed.
    But to do that they would have to modify the board. That's just not gonna happen. And lets be dead honest have you ever talked to or you yourself ever sent a system to Microsoft. Your in for a long LONG wait and even then your systems gonna come back with problems, more problems than it had prior to sending it off. If you sent your system off today The Wii, PS3, the HD-DVD attachment and New Years will have all happened before you got a notice saying your 360 is on it's way back to you.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't know doesn't seem to be helping the 360 out much.
    so far no where NEARLY as faulty as the ps2's but again it was sony's strategy that worked for them and has for years becaue people still equate the name with quality. so they duped the consumers into that sense of security and under handedly made their mass market products crap in terms of quality. microsoft already has the stigma of instability so any kind of fault from an MS product is seen as 'another POS MS product" but with sony it's thought that you just got unlucky wiht your personal purchase, so go out and get another "it's ony it HAS to be quality". that is BS because not one sony product have I owned that didn't crap out with normal use after 2 years. but we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian
    looks like we'll have another bunch of faulty sony machines - so this system may sell big because people will have to keep buying replacements just like the PS2 - hey why change what worked inthat past right??
    Well you can always see things the way you want and misqoute or you can read the whole interview and qoute the whole comment.

Electronic News: Whatís the defining factor that makes some chips better than others?
    Reeves: Defects. It becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is. With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, youíre lucky to get 10 or 20 percent. If you put logic redundancy on it, you can double that. Itís a great strategy, and Iím not sure anyone other than IBM is doing that with logic. Everybody does it with DRAM. There are always extra bits in there for memory. People have not yet moved to logic block redundancy, though.

Electronic News: Do any of those cores ever go bad, so that you start out with seven and you wind up with six or five?
    Reeves: Thereís a reliability failure rate for all chip types. By definition, reliability failure is one point circuit that has failed. If it happens to be in an SPE, it will knock out one of the cores. We have electronic fuses now, rather than laser fuses, which you can only blow when youíre doing wafer tests. Electronic fuses you blow electrically. If you really want to be focused on reliability and up-time availability, you can design one of these chips to self-detect. You can ship it with eight cores working, blow one of them, and from a user perspective you would have self-healed it in the field.

Electronic News: With the price Sony is going to charge, it can easily add that into the cost.
    Reeves: Sony is very concerned about quality and backward compatibility. They want to get this right. They tested game after game after game. When there were about 40 Playstation 1 games that didnít work properly, that didnít pass their criteria for quality.

http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...dustryid=21365

According to the annual Harris Poll of "best brands," Sony has taken the top spot for the seventh year in a row. In fact, since 1996 Sony has been the number one brand nine times, losing only twice to Ford (1997 and 1999).

The poll was conducted online, with 2,351 U.S. adults asked to name the best brand, unaided and without a list of brand names present. While not directly about video games, we'd be hard press to say the PlayStation brand contributed nothing to Sony's success.

How does this bode for the PlayStaion 3? Well, Sony has its brand name that should help compensate the high price, but this poll also makes no assumption as to consumer's knowledge about the company. What will be interesting to see Sony's position on the list next year, seeing as some countries seem to be losing faith in the next-generation PS model.

Microsoft, who was in the top 10 last year, dropped off the list this year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/13/so...ears-in-a-row/

Quality Over Quid
    In the recent mailbag, there was discussion about the price point of the PS3 system. I don't believe the argument should be about the price, but about the quality. For $600, we should have a robust piece of hardware with a strong warranty.

I am currently on my third PS2. I've had the "blue-back disc problems" twice. The first, Sony replaced for free. The second, I had to buy a new machine. When the system costs $200 it's not as big of an issue. When the system costs $600, it is.

For reference, I'm not an abuse of machines. I own the following machines which are still functioning after years of service: NES, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, PSOne, Game Boy, and Jaguar.

--Bryon

You're absolutely right, quality is a very important factor when buying a new system -- especially when you're throwing down more than a half a grand. But one thing to keep in mind is that hardware with a plethora of moving parts is always going to be subject to break down regardless of who makes it. You just have to hope that you get a good one out of the bunch because no matter how much you spend and on what, problems are always going to be a strong possibility with such delicate technology.

Case in point: I own a launch day PlayStation 2 and a launch day Xbox 360 -- and I've never had a single problem with either one of them. Does that mean that all the problems reported for both systems are false? Absolutely not, it just means that somewhere in the heavens, the manufacturing gods like me.

--Jeremy

http://ps3.ign.com/mail/2006-06-16.html
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; July 14, 2006 at 12:40pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Well you can always see things the way you want and misqoute or you can read the whole interview and qoute the whole comment.

Electronic News: Whatís the defining factor that makes some chips better than others?
    Reeves: Defects. It becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is. With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, youíre lucky to get 10 or 20 percent. If you put logic redundancy on it, you can double that. Itís a great strategy, and Iím not sure anyone other than IBM is doing that with logic. Everybody does it with DRAM. There are always extra bits in there for memory. People have not yet moved to logic block redundancy, though.

Electronic News: Do any of those cores ever go bad, so that you start out with seven and you wind up with six or five?
    Reeves: Thereís a reliability failure rate for all chip types. By definition, reliability failure is one point circuit that has failed. If it happens to be in an SPE, it will knock out one of the cores. We have electronic fuses now, rather than laser fuses, which you can only blow when youíre doing wafer tests. Electronic fuses you blow electrically. If you really want to be focused on reliability and up-time availability, you can design one of these chips to self-detect. You can ship it with eight cores working, blow one of them, and from a user perspective you would have self-healed it in the field.

Electronic News: With the price Sony is going to charge, it can easily add that into the cost.
    Reeves: Sony is very concerned about quality and backward compatibility. They want to get this right. They tested game after game after game. When there were about 40 Playstation 1 games that didnít work properly, that didnít pass their criteria for quality.

http://www.reed-electronics.com/elec...dustryid=21365

According to the annual Harris Poll of "best brands," Sony has taken the top spot for the seventh year in a row. In fact, since 1996 Sony has been the number one brand nine times, losing only twice to Ford (1997 and 1999).

The poll was conducted online, with 2,351 U.S. adults asked to name the best brand, unaided and without a list of brand names present. While not directly about video games, we'd be hard press to say the PlayStation brand contributed nothing to Sony's success.

How does this bode for the PlayStaion 3? Well, Sony has its brand name that should help compensate the high price, but this poll also makes no assumption as to consumer's knowledge about the company. What will be interesting to see Sony's position on the list next year, seeing as some countries seem to be losing faith in the next-generation PS model.

Microsoft, who was in the top 10 last year, dropped off the list this year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/13/so...ears-in-a-row/

Quality Over Quid
    In the recent mailbag, there was discussion about the price point of the PS3 system. I don't believe the argument should be about the price, but about the quality. For $600, we should have a robust piece of hardware with a strong warranty.

I am currently on my third PS2. I've had the "blue-back disc problems" twice. The first, Sony replaced for free. The second, I had to buy a new machine. When the system costs $200 it's not as big of an issue. When the system costs $600, it is.

For reference, I'm not an abuse of machines. I own the following machines which are still functioning after years of service: NES, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, PSOne, Game Boy, and Jaguar.

--Bryon

You're absolutely right, quality is a very important factor when buying a new system -- especially when you're throwing down more than a half a grand. But one thing to keep in mind is that hardware with a plethora of moving parts is always going to be subject to break down regardless of who makes it. You just have to hope that you get a good one out of the bunch because no matter how much you spend and on what, problems are always going to be a strong possibility with such delicate technology.

Case in point: I own a launch day PlayStation 2 and a launch day Xbox 360 -- and I've never had a single problem with either one of them. Does that mean that all the problems reported for both systems are false? Absolutely not, it just means that somewhere in the heavens, the manufacturing gods like me.

--Jeremy

http://ps3.ign.com/mail/2006-06-16.html
    i posted everything I found on that info if there was more then it wasn't in the page I had read. anyway as for that poll again Sony the NAME is still regarded as quality (as the info suggests)because that is how it started out, but they make their mass market products with cheaper techniques and cost cutting measures. people STILL believe sony = quality though that is only the case with their VERY high end products (over $1000 lines) anyway all of my sega and nintendo systems still work as does my xbox - the ps2 i have is starting to fade won't play dvds (though I don't really use it as a player -my brother does every so often) without freezing and it crashes games more than it used to.

anyway as for the info I posted and you added the rest of - it still seem slippery to me...esp with my past history with sony.

At the end of the day you can only do what you believe is best for you. I understand most people work for the money they have and in turn they sacrifice that much of their lives just to make the money they have. So people want to be assured that when they buy something it's gonna work. But nothing and I mean nothing out there is with out fault. If it's man made it's gonna break period. Your just holding your breathe for when. Even more so with Tech esp. tech this complicated. But companies learn from their "mistakes" even if they don't admit to them.

The Launch systems will be grade A. They don't cut costs and move to a cheaper form of production for a few months after launch.

They can lab test this thing for 10 years and as soon as they realease it on the first day someones gonna find a bug. It happens with everything. Look at the PSP and the Xbox. Neither of them knew it was gonna be so well recieved by the homebrew community and that it would be used in such ways as it has.

I mean in the end it shouldn't be about the price tag *which will eventually come down so people can just jump in when they are comfortable. Or the Name or the Graphics. It's about the games. Lets be honest if you want to Play Halo you buy a 360 you want to play Mario then get a Wii you want to play just about everything else *third party get a PS3.

The Bandwagon
    Is it just me, or is everyone running around scared that the PS3 is going to fail?

Call me a PS3 fanboy if you like, but I have the distinct feeling that there is more hype AGAINST the PS3 than for it! For the last three weeks, all the articles I've seen from outside sources posted on IGN have been "Analysts predict overpricing", "Japanese negative on PS3", and "PS3 is going to control your mind and your checkbook". Why aren't people excited about the next stepping stone in gaming?

Perhaps I'm just pointing out the "news perspective", where the only important things worth reporting by the general media is something negative (this doesn't apply to ya'll at IGN, though). I'll admit that I'm not expecting some Wall Street analyst to report that MGS4, the PS3's online network, or the loads of development tools available for game makers may revolutionize gaming across all platforms (just like every major system has in the past 30 years). But why are all those people who don't balk at the $5000 price tag for their TV's, the $2000 price of their computers, and the $2500 of gas they spend all year, suddenly in an uproar about a state-of-the-art, six years-in-the-making system?

Michael Crichton wrote a book, "State of Fear", that outlined how a group produces an idea of something that could be terrible in people's lives, many more jump on to reinforce it, thereby causing a downward spiral to the point where the whole world begins to believe something that may not be entirely true (Crichton used global warming as an example). It seems to me that the media, the analysts and the corporate big-wigs have all of us consumers and share-holders frightened of what could be a really great entertainment machine. Is anyone else out there not that scared?

--Tom

Now that's a good letter! As for what I think, I believe that Crichton's philosophy is definitely applicable here. But I think the bigger question is, "Why all the pre-release negativity for the PlayStation 3 and not the Xbox 360 or Wii?"

Personally, I'm convinced that it's because Sony is the easiest target. The fact is that Sony does have the most expensive next-gen system coming to market, and whether the price is justifiable or not, it automatically puts the system under fire for immediate scrutiny. Another thing to remember is that Sony has been the number one company for two generations in a row, and if Bret "The Hitman" Hart taught us anything, it's that the public can only take so much of the top guy for so long before turning on him to root for Stone Cold (what's this? A wrestling analogy? Egad!). Plus, people love rooting for the underdogs and to be rewarded for loyalty during the worst of times -- coming into this generation you have a lot of Nintendo and Microsoft fans that you could apply that to.

But as I've said in earlier mailbags, it's irresponsible for anyone to claim victory or defeat for Sony just yet. It's way too early in the PS3's life to make those kinds of predictions.

--Jeremy

Compliments
    I am very impressed by your professionalism. It was nice seeing that you had no negative comments on any of the letters particularly regarding the 360 and Wii. I admit that I am just keeping informed on all that is gaming and not necessarily interested in a PS3 (however, I had the same feelings towards the original Xbox and ended up with one when "The Suffering" was cancelled on GameCube). Keep up the awesome work! You, sir, are an example to us all!

--xtc

Thank you very much for the kind word, I definitely appreciate it. I'm happy to say that none of the guys on the PlayStation Team (that would be me, Chris Roper, Juan Castro, and Jeff Haynes) have any negative feelings or biases against any of the systems. Despite our focus on PS products, we're gamers first and it's the software that matters. We'd be doing ourselves and our readers a great disservice if it were any other way. That said, we're definitely passionate about our jobs and hopefully that comes through in our coverage.

--Jeremy

A Rant and Japanese Fanboy Games
    I just don't get it. Why do people think $500 or $600 is too much for a system? People pay over $600 for a computer video card. Oh yeah, the Xbox 360 was technically $500 itself.$400 for the premium version and $100 for the wireless adapter and what do you get... $500 dollars plus a 20GB hard drive that doesn't even give you 20 gigs of free space. I'm not an Xbox hater because I got one too, but I think $600 dollars for a PS3 is a steal because you get a larger HDD, wireless embedded, and finally a Blu-ray DVD player. Ok so you don't care about Blu-ray... at least you have the option of not using it all for the same price of the Xbox 360 with similar bells and whistles. I actually can't wait until Sony-3 hits so I can try some of its games. But I really think people should relax about the prices of these systems. Its only natural... gas prices goes up and everything else goes up with it!

Ok now that I got that out of the way. My question is will there be another Zone of Enders, Lunar, or Dragon ball Z? I heard that the 360 got the exclusive on Naruto so does that mean Sony will get the exclusive on DBZ?

-- Anthony

To your first point, I pretty much agree with you. The price for either system doesn't bug me at all. If you're investing $500 to $600 in a gaming system that will provide anywhere from five to eight years of entertainment, plus Blu-ray movie functionality, free online gaming, and backwards compatibility with all the crap I already own, then I think the price is more than worth it. Want one at launch? Save $40 a week every week from now until November 17 and you'll have enough money to pick up the "big boy" system, three games, and a second controller after taxes. You'll even have some money left over!

As for your second question, I wouldn't count on a new Lunar unless a miracle happens (it didn't sell well, its rights are quite clear, and the RPG market is overflowing with competition) but a new DBZ game is a given (it's Dragon Ball, after all). I expect to see Goku and friends as early as 2007 to be quite honest, though I can't imagine it would stay only on PS3.

It's funny you bring up Zone of the Enders 3, though. I recently asked Hideo Kojima if he would be bringing out a new game in that series just a few weeks ago and he told me that he'd like to make it but is too wrapped up in MGS4 right now. I detailed more about it my blog (linked at the bottom of the page here), so you can check out the details of what was said there.

--Jeremy

Howdy

Decided to wait for a bit before I posted in this thread. Instead of commenting on others posts I will just say my thoughts on the current and the next gen.

Well for this gen I feel that Nintendo kinda ballsed up a bit. I mean there advertising was terrible and there wasn't as many games as promised. Sure there were games than on the N64 but when compared to all the games that were on the XBox and PS2 us GC got the shortest straw....I mean Silent Hill

Nintendo did well in the handheld market, GBA and DS both outselling everything else...even the mighty Sony have yet to steal Nintendo's handheld crown

Microsoft had a cool generation, great games, nice sales...well in two major countries anyway.

Sony obviously did the best, outselling everything by massive margins.

As for the next gen. Well Nintendo seem to have gooten things rolling the right way. Excited everyone at E3, fantastic looking games and had the all round best E3. Also Twilight Princess

Microsoft are doing okay with the 360 I suppose, things will really kick off when Halo 3 and Gears of War etc are released. Thats when I will be getting on anyway.

Sony...well things just went from bad to worse, excrutiating E3, poor games, pricey, arrogant...well need I go on. Heavenly Sword looks likely to be the only game I would by it for.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Amazon Japan Poll

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

In an act of poll balance and contrary to a recent Famitsu poll, the PS3 is more popular than Wii according to a recent Amazon Japan poll. PunchJump writes: "The overseas retail division of Amazon.com has published a graph that represents customer interest in each platform, with the 60GB PS3 edging out the Wii. The 20GB PS3 was the least popular among customers."

Add the two PS3 editions together, and sales-wise, the PS3 should outsell Wii by about 33% if the Amazon Japan pollsters are correct. Does a lack of a 360 option mean that Microsoft's console isn't even on the radar anymore?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/18/po...-wii-in-japan/

In an act of poll balance and contrary to a recent Famitsu poll, the PS3 is more popular than Wii according to a recent Amazon Japan poll. PunchJump writes: "The overseas retail division of Amazon.com has published a graph that represents customer interest in each platform, with the 60GB PS3 edging out the Wii. The 20GB PS3 was the least popular among customers."

Add the two PS3 editions together, and sales-wise, the PS3 should outsell Wii by about 33% if the Amazon Japan pollsters are correct. Does a lack of a 360 option mean that Microsoft's console isn't even on the radar anymore?

Howdy

Meh, just because PS3 will sell the best on Amazon doesn't mean it is going to outsell the Wii overall. I mean I won't be surprised if it does, I expect it to but there highy different price points and appeal is probably going to make Japan the most interesting place to see which of the consoles does the best.

About the Microsoft thing: well there American so that will have something to do with it, but who knows whats going to happen? Only time will tell.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

Well, keep in mind that this poll is more about what people want to get, and not what they will get.

I mean, if given the choice of what you'd rather have, a Ford Taurus or a Porshe, most people would pick the Porche. But when it comes to which car most people can afford, it would be the Taurus.

So, while many may be voting for PS3, that doesn't mean it is what they will end up getting. The price could effect that.

Also, keep in mind too that PS3 is going to appeal more to really, really, really die-hard gamers who are willing to pay through the roof for a system like that. People who are more casual gamers likely won't want to pay that kind of price, and aren't the kind of people to vote in an online video game poll. As a result, the Wii could still do better than this poll indicates.

Keep in mind too that it is very likely that many of the people voting in this poll may be blinded by the brand. The Sony Playstation brand has been the most popular for some time now, and that may be why they are voting for that system. Sure, people will say its because of HDMI and the Blu-Ray, etc, but if you were to switch the labels on the systems, and put Sony PS3 on the Wii, and Nintendo Wii on the PS3, You'd likely see a sudden jump in votes for the Wii (under the PS3 name). Many are basing their opinions on the brand more so than what the system actually offers.

I know that I tend to be biased against Sony (mainly for malfunctioning problems with PS2 which, while any game system of any brand will have a few duds here and there, have been much greater and consistent than any other system that I've ever seen). But still, I think what Nintendo is doing with the Wii is more logical and more of a step in the right direction than what Sony is doing with PS3. And if the brands were switched around, I'd probably still be cautious of Sony because of the previous PS2 problems, but I would still think the system overall would seem a lot better than Nintendo pushing a $600 system that boasts huge power, high resolution, but not very original game play.

I'm not saying that the Wii will definately win in the long run, as Nintendo has been pretty far back in the running for quite a while now. But, I will say that it has a decent chance. The casual audience will likely be the scale tipper, so we'll see how that aspect turns out.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

well if this was an american poll I'd agree with you. But it's not and it wasn't a video game poll on some game site or hypothetical. It was on amazon Japan. Japan where the king has always been Nintendo and not Sony. This is 2 Japanese companies going at it. And lets be dead honest. Nintendo makes games from a Japanese point of view, Americans just buy them. Playstation makes games with a western mentality, meaning us.

So this poll is very indicative of what could be coming.

Richard Teversham Qoute MS Exec

"And although Wii is almost a GameCube with a DVD drive, is Nintendo going to have enough quantity to satisfy the demand?"

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/31/mi...ses-this-fall/

Heroic Warrior
    well if this was an american poll I'd agree with you. But it's not and it wasn't a video game poll on some game site or hypothetical. It was on amazon Japan. Japan where the king has always been Nintendo and not Sony. This is 2 Japanese companies going at it. And lets be dead honest. Nintendo makes games from a Japanese point of view, Americans just buy them. Playstation makes games with a western mentality, meaning us.

So this poll is very indicative of what could be coming.
    hasn't sony been number one witht he last two systems in japan as well? this poll isn't very indicitive of much rather than desires. put a poll up here asking what you would rather see an MOTU movie or a live action tekken movie and MOTU would win out, put it on a tekken forum and the results will be VASTLY different. the point is its very easy to vote on apoll and skew things to look the way you like, making the poll results a reality is a different matter.

apparently the results have changed though...http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=2778

anyway it looks like Sony is getting in WAY over their heads http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=2765 , http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07...ks_ps3_losses/ http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060728-7379.html we'll see where this goes...should be interesting

The price tag of PS3 games being $70-$90, I consider this a rumor. This is information given to me by a friend. I haven't actually read this anywhere for myself. But if true, it's another straw on the camel's already fragile back.
    Well, it's sure as hell true in England. PS3 games are £49.99 to pre-order. That's $91.68. 360 games tend to go for £39.99, which would be $72.97.

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStatio...egionHome.html

You'll probably be looking at a good few dollars less, but it's worth appreciating how good you guys have it

"And although Wii is almost a GameCube with a DVD drive, is Nintendo going to have enough quantity to satisfy the demand?"

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/31/mi...ses-this-fall/
    Uh huh....

I clicked on the link and read the article hoping to get more insight into that quote, and trying to see if he had a specific reason as to why he feels Nintendo may not be able to meet the demand. And low and behold, there was no insight. It's nothing more than random speculation on his part.

Now, I'm not saying that there couldn't end up being a shortage for some reason, but as of right now we have no specific reason to believe there will be, and this guy making this comment proves nothing. He apparently has nothing factual to back it up. And since he doesn't work for Nintendo and isn't on the inside to see how many units they will be able to produce, how is he in any position to make any prediciton with any real degree of acuracy?

They may has well have asked some random homeless bum what his thoughts on the Wii system were. It would have been just as arbitrary.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; August 2, 2006 at 09:04am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    Uh huh....

I clicked on the link and read the article hoping to get more insight into that quote, and trying to see if he had a specific reason as to why he feels Nintendo may not be able to meet the demand. And low and behold, there was no insight. It's nothing more than random speculation on his part.

Now, I'm not saying that there couldn't end up being a shortage for some reason, but as of right now we have no specific reason to believe there will be, and this guy making this comment proves nothing. He apparently has nothing factual to back it up. And since he doesn't work for Nintendo and isn't on the inside to see how many units they will be able to produce, how is he in any position to make any prediciton with any real degree of acuracy?

They may has well have asked some random homeless bum what his thoughts on the Wii system were. It would have been just as arbitrary.

Yeah the qoute wasn't for anything other than another qoute from the Xbox camp dissing the Wii. I don't know why but they seem to be making the Wii a target in all their interviews. And as blatant as it is, it's wierd it always comes out of nowhere. It's like oh heres a jab and back to what I was saying.

Even I was caught off guard by it. It's basically all he says about the Wii.

I think it comes down to nothing more than the fact they are a major non presence in Japan and are worried the same could happen in the US. Esp with all the schedule titles *ports anyway. Being cancelled left and right for the 360.

Yeah the qoute wasn't for anything other than another qoute from the Xbox camp dissing the Wii. I don't know why but they seem to be making the Wii a target in all their interviews. And as blatant as it is, it's wierd it always comes out of nowhere. It's like oh heres a jab and back to what I was saying.

Even I was caught off guard by it. It's basically all he says about the Wii.

I think it comes down to nothing more than the fact they are a major non presence in Japan and are worried the same could happen in the US. Esp with all the schedule titles *ports anyway. Being cancelled left and right for the 360.
    Yeah, I do hope that the 360 gets more titles out there. I have it, and I like the system, and I won't be getting PS3 any time soon (mainly because of the price), so I hope things turn around for them. My guess is that more will start to come out for it after the other two systems are out. The problem that they seem to be running into is that since many 3rd party games come out for multiple systems, they are then having to port games designed for Xbox, PS2, and (sometimes) Gamecube over to 360, but then they have to put way more work into it to try and make the graphics better, and they probably just don't feel that it is worth it for just the one version of the game. Plus, since the 3rd party games for 360 run for $60, and the ones for PS2, Xbox, etc are $50 at most, sometimes less (heck, there have been a lot of titles coming out lately for $40), and so they figure that even if the 360 version has better graphics, people who may have the 360 but also have one of the older systems may simply get the version for the older system to save $10 or $20. Sure, the nicer graphics are great and all, but when you can either buy just the 360 version, or buy one of the other versions AND another greatest hits/player's choice/platinum hits game, it unfortunately doesn't work to the 360's advantage. So, they figure its not worth the effort putting it out for that system if they aren't going to get as many sales that way (esspecially when the same game is coming out for the regular Xbox system... it's like they are competing with themselves).

I think things may turn around a bit in that regard once the Wii and PS3 are out. Once all 3 systems are out, then we will see more of the same games being ported across all 3 formats.

You know, going back to the subject of that quote earlier, what's funny is that in a round-and-about way, the guy is almost unintentionally complimenting Nintendo. I mean, if he's suggesting that their supply won't meet their demand, then he's kind of giving some indirect recognition to the fact that there is a pretty strong positive buzz going around about the system. If it does sell out and there's a strong demand, it will be good for Nintendo's new system.

Though, his intention was still to knock down Nintendo a few notches. And it's funny seeing this after someone from Microsoft has previously made the comment about how the Wii is a good system and they think people will buy both a 360 and a Wii together instead of a PS3. Ah, the hypocracy.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; August 2, 2006 at 10:52am.

YEah that seems to be the sentiment. Most analysts are saying most people this generation will buy 2 consoles. Wii almost certainly being the second one. But then it comes down to the top spot. THe PS3 or the 360. So I can see why it's in MS best intrest to steer people to Nintendo and away from PS3.

MS really shot themselves in the foot. With the whole backward complatibility thing being a joke. I would buy a xbox game and play it on my 360 if at all possible but it's not. And people can say the attachment was a good idea. We will see how that will actually work since the system has no HDMI hook ups. And they can say now that oh who wants HD graphics in a game. But when it was just the PS2, Xbox and GC. That was what most people were saying about the Xbox trying to make it superior to the PS2. Oh you can game in HD *even though it was max at 720. And the big fuss about how much better the games on GC were that allowed for Progressive scan.

The price the price the price that's all anyone ever yells. If they can truely offer backwards compatibility on the PS3. Then that will be a major factor between people who don't already have a 360 and a PS3. And if Nintendo and Sony can get a good online service going esp since it's free. Then we will be good. MS is only staying afloat by charging for live gold. It's the only way they stayed afloat the first time. And people can complain about game prices all they want. But Xbox 360 games have already shown us how shady they can be. Buy a game for 50 bucks then you have to download 1-3 packs at 10 bucks each. And then bam you got and 80-90 dollar game. For stuff that should have been in the game to begin with.

But I know the one to watch is Nintendo. It doesn't have a tight grip on the hand held market like it used to. I know it's the leader still. But no ones been able to come in before and take I think it was almost 40% of the market away from Nintendo before. MS and Sony can loose money on their systems and they do, Do you know how much loss MS is taking on every 360 sold. Which is why there won't be a price drop anytime soon. They have other places to recoup the money. Everything is a part of a whole. Not Nintendo with Nintendo you got your console and your handheld and if one fails the other has to carry it. Which is why they make consoles they won't loose money on out the gate.

The DS took a year and a half to get titles out there third party wise. And it's best selling titles aren't even games. You have a educational pet simulator, brain trainer, Japanese-English dictionary, interactive cookbook.

The 360 in todays market could already be viewed as dead. All the titles that will sell upcoming are all FPS which aren't appealing to Japanese markets. I've had mine since launch and there aren't many games out there that are exclusive to the system that don't run better on PC with less bugs, glitches and hardware malfunctions.

I don't know at this point it very well could be between Sony and Nintendo with MS trying to pick up the slack. Which probably why they are out there making outlandish comments.

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I want a PS3 because I never got a PS2, and I have a 42" HD TV with HDMI input. Do you think PS2 games will look better playing on the PS3 because of the digital signals?

Quote Originally Posted by He-Lurker
    I want a PS3 because I never got a PS2, and I have a 42" HD TV with HDMI input. Do you think PS2 games will look better playing on the PS3 because of the digital signals?
    Well let me put it this way. In theory yes. But you have an HD set and I know you've seen things from various sources, mainly cable I'm sure. Where the hardware tries to upconvert the signal and the TV tries to make it as close to the native resolution as possible and it looks ok but not great.

That's what I would personally expect. It's the same thing when the PS2 came out and they said oh the hardware is better and it takes less to do the stuff that taxed the PS1 and some of the games the polygons looks smoother defenitely but you got some over bleed on some games where colors weren't as crisp and some of the details were smoothed over. It's a double edge sword.

Most TVs aren't built around Gaming, still. They are mainly focused around watching cable and movies. So it's not gonna be the systems fault, this goes for any of them not just the PS3. As much as The TV manufacturer.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155198...ort=1#comments

An original Far Cry game, Monster 4x4, GT Pro, Open Season, Blazing Angels, join Red Steel, and Rayman, when the Wii launches.

I'll be interested in that Far Cry game, Xbox got the exclusive INSTINCTS, so it will be interesting to see how the exclusive Wii entry goes. I thoroughly enjoyed the original Far Cry on my PC.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

RockStars' Bully dropped Xbox suppourt and now will be a PS2 Exclusive.

And Castlevania: Symphony of Night will come to Xbox MarketPlace in Early 2007.

7-11 giving away 711 Wiis starting in November. Intresting too is they have it listed at a $299.99 value and 399.99 for Canada

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/03/ro...on-xbox-bully/

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/03/sy...heard-on-xbla/

https://slurpee.securepromotion.com/OfficialRules.html
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; August 3, 2006 at 11:51pm.

Intresting too is they have it listed at a $299.99 value and 399.99 for Canada
    WHAT A RIP OFF.

$299 USD = $339 CAD

Looks like I'm driving to Buffalo on launch day. (I guess it will cost about 399 though if i factor in lunch and gas money.)
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.