Page 10 of 350 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

OK then here you go.

StRaNgE:
    Well I had my original cube since launch and about 5-6 months ago it died on me, all of a sudden the disc just would no longer spin. So I replaced it with a new one.
    Well the one I replaced it with died tonight.

I am so frustrated right now. Anyone know if Nintendo will fix something like this. I no longer have the receipt and really hate if they are making the cubes shotty like the Playstation 2 just to up there sales numbers as I am sort a forced to buy a new one seeing I have over a freggin 100 games I no longer can play now.

Djunknown:

Fiirst thing to do is to calm down. Take a breath and try and salvage the situation.

I did have similiar situation a while where I bought my 'Cube, and around 1 year to the day that I bought it, it just croaked. I called up Nintendo's customer service, who then told me I was under warranty, so they'd ship one free of charge. All I had to do was to send it to an authorized Nintendo Repair place.

TheYoungerPlumber:
    My GameCube died on Friday (right after Radio Trivia, actually). Description of problem:

When I turn my system on, the fan turns on and stays on. The power light flashes on for a second. There is no A/V output.

benjamin1254benjamin1254:
    i have a gamecube problem...sorta funny realy! i was playing need for speed underground for a few days w/o rest. i got all cought up in the game! suddenly my cube poped up with a disc read error... i though "how strange my this is a new game this shouldent happen!" so i opened it up let it cool and played again... it was fine tell just about 2 months ago when it quit reading the game discs. The motor for the cd spinner i checked was fine, the fan was spinning ok, the lense is clean and so are all my game discs. i dont even know how in the world it would be getting a disc read error unless the programing or something else aint right inside. I need help! any ideas of what it could be? any other ideas rather than sending it in?

Spork024:
    Well benjamin1254 you are not alone. My friend let me borrow his Cube for a while as like 2 days after I had it it started to not read the disks, even when i was already playing. At first it would not read Metroid Prime (which was like the only game that i really wanted to play which really sucks), then when i actually did get it working after like 10 minutes of messing around it would just say "an error has occured". Now if it actually does read the game when i turn it on i will be lucky to get to the "Press Start" screen. It would be great to find a simple solution to the problem and not have to send it in, which i will probably not do because i don't even own it in the first place. Any input would be great.

Duo:
    I have the exact same problem. I've tried fixing it, it seemed one of the connectors had been burnt out. It had no effect. I'm going to look in there again though, and see if the cable is loose on one side. I've heard of many other people having this problem too though, and it is ALWAYS the first port. I will see why. I will be going into my gamecube, and if I fix it, I will post my conclusions.

deus_ex_machina
    Mine has been sort of broken for about 3 weeks now and I'm just now getting round to finding out why. I say sort of because it works when I sit around messing with it and talking nice to it(i.e., screaming curses while restraining the urge to shake and kick sense into it) for a bit. Even then, loading times are very slow, I've noticed that sometimes the audio begins playing a few seconds before the accompanying video, when trying to view the cinematics audio sometimes skips and the video freezes/framerate slows considerably. The longest I've gotten it to run is a little over an hour. I've been getting both the 'cannot read gamedisc' and the general 'there has been an error' messages.

StartropicsNSSB:
    My Gamecube finally died yesterday afternoon just randomly, and I was kinda odded out by it. I've been busy for the past week doing stuff before I head off for college, so my Cube hasn't been getting as much play as it used to. I've actually been playing a lot of Paper Mario on the N64 when I had the time to play games. So maybe the Cube got jealous?

But yesterday, my sister wanted to play a game, and so I set it all up for her, and when I turned the system on, nothing happened. The light never came on, and there was no image or sound from the TV; nothing. I messed around with the cables, checking them kinda compulsively, and turned it on again. The fan went on, so it WAS getting power, and it wasn't the AV Cables. So, while it was on, I popped the top, and I could see the laser fine, but the disc was not spinning. I searched around online, and figured it needed to be cleaned, so I got a vacuum and some q-tips and went mad cleaning the fan and the vent on the side. Still won't work. I peeked inside the rightside vent, and saw that there was still a lot of dust clogging the little holes inside. I can't open it, however, because I don't have the little screwdrive bitpiece with the six sides. I've found one online for 6 bucks, but the shipping is around 30 bucks more!!

Munntendo:
    I seem to be having a similair problem to PrincessDiana75 and Startropics NSSB.

My gamecube seems to have just died today. After pushing the power button the light turns on and the fan runs but I don't get any audio or video output and the disc does not seem to be spinning. If anyone has successfluy fixed a similair problem I'd very much like to hear about it.

Theres PLENTY more if you want me to continue. Since you want cases of similar problems. I wouldn't want to leave anything out.

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    You have a point, to a certain extent.

I would still be interested in knowing what the problem was in each case, though. Did the systems all 'die' for the same reason? They could be random issues.

While I have stressed my PS2 disc read problems ad nauseum, I am sure that there are also plenty of PS2's out there that just 'died' for other reasons separate from that one ongoing issue, and those other cases would likely be on par (in terms of % of the systems out there) with what is happening with the Gamecubes here. I am sure there are plenty of 'dead' Xbox's out there as well.

But I still stand behind what I have been saying. Heck, even in the very first post that you just quoted, StRaNgE says:

Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgE
    Anyone know if Nintendo will fix something like this. I no longer have the receipt and really hate if they are making the cubes shotty like the Playstation 2 just to up there sales numbers as I am sort a forced to buy a new one seeing I have over a freggin 100 games I no longer can play now.
    While he is clearly complaining about his malfunctioning Gamecube, he even makes reference to the WELL KNOWN PS2 problems, and says he hopes this isn't going to become common with GCN, which obviously indicates that such a problem with GCN must not be as common as those of PS2, or more gamers (particularly those who own multiple platforms of games and post on message boards like these people are doing) would have known about it and these occasional problems wouldn't be taking them by suprise. Even when taking the fact that Gamecube doesn't have as many systems out on the market as PS2, if the % of GCN problems were proportionately equal to that of PS2, we'd be hearing a lot more about it... period.

Also, I'd like to point out that from what I have read on these links, for those people who did have problems that were so bad that they had to contact Nintendo's customer service, they had mostly complimentary things to say about the customer service department. From most stories I've heard regarding the support for PS2, it is quite the opposite. And that says a lot. I mean, I'd like to know that if something does go wrong, I can count on the customer service department to help me out appropriately.

I am not denying that these people have had problems, and I never denied that GCN would have some defects here or there, but its only a much lesser level.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    Well, besides AeroStratos88's experiences I have never heard once that Nintendo has had any hardware problems. They are the most reliable of all three systems that for sure. Maybe Nintendo found out that you're a Sony fanboy and decided to sell you a corrupted version.
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman
    Well, besides AeroStratos88's experiences I have never heard once that Nintendo has had any hardware problems. They are the most reliable of all three systems that for sure. Maybe Nintendo found out that you're a Sony fanboy and decided to sell you a corrupted version.
    In all fairness, he is posting actual complaints from other people who have posted this info online. These are not accounts that he is just making up or something, and he is not going off of only his own personal experience.

But, my guess is that they really are few and far between, particularly compared to the PS2 issues.

What likely happened is that the people who have experienced these problems went online searching for info about others who have had similar problems, and then came across those forums that Aerostratos listed (and likely other similar ones out there), and then posted what happened. Obviously, when you get a lot of people in one place complaining about something, it is going to seem worse than it actually is.

However, to this day, I am yet to simply meet someone in person who has complained about GCN problems, or even go into a store like Gamestop and have the employees there tell me about ongoing problems with the system (and I do tend to go into Gamestop and if the store isn't busy with a lot of other customers, I will often get into lengthy and dorky conversations with some of the employees there about gaming, etc, since I am a regular and they pretty much know me).

On the other hand, I wasn't even looking for info about the PS2 problems, but there came a point where it was just being thrown at me. I heard a lot about it from Gamestop, probably starting a year or two after PS2 came out. I heard how some people had already been through several PS2's. This suprised me because at the time mine was working fine, and this was all knews to me. But as time went on, I heard more and more situations like this. Again, without really even trying. Eventually I did look up info online only to find TONS of it out there. And eventually, it did happen to me.

So, I just have strong reason to believe that the PS2 problems are MUCH MUCH more widespread than anything effecting either of its competitors.

Yawn...

I am so tired of fanboy this fanboy that. If you go to the does anyone collect Nintendo games you will clearly see I have everything Nintendo ever released most documented in the photos. Which is way more stuff than Sony. I have bought more stuff to keep my Nintendo stuff running, starting with the NES to the gamecube.

Fanboy is a flame term and I don't go around calling people Nintidiots or Wii-tards or NintenDorks. So show the same level of respect.

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I just got an Xbox 360, and it's great. I have an HD TV and the difference between it and the Gamecube is incredible!! I'm very happy with it. I wasn't going to get one originally, but once they announced Assassin's Creed would be on multiple platforms, that was the tipping point. Oh, and Dead Rising I've never had an Xbox, or a Playstation 2, or hardly any other console system for that matter. Just a GC and SNES. I think I'm finally getting tired of PC games not working as well as I would like. With consoles, they are guaranteed to work exactly as advertised. I'm also planning on getting a Wii. The 360 will be my crazy cool graphics system, while the Wii will be my crazy fun to play system.

Wii-tards, LOL. Classic!!!

Hey guys, tone it down a notch.

-Brett
    Who is turned all the way down.

={+}=

ok so if you hadn't heard.

At their pre-TGS press briefing in Tokyo today, Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will support 1080p content through a software upgrade. The "p" stands for parity.

Microsoft's announcement -- which effectively parries Sony's bold claims regarding the merits of 1080p high definition content or, as Sony calls it, True HD -- is their latest move seeking to blunt the impact of the oncoming Sony PS3 hype-train. With the True HD cat de-clawed, Microsoft's mantra of choice will appear even more appealing. It's another bullet point taken out of the next-gen console war equation.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/20/tg...-bullet-point/

and a short day later in a rare move this happened...

by reminding consumers of the PS3's much larger storage capacity and "full" HD 1080p support. Keep in mind Microsoft has no plans to produce 1080p gaming content in-house, rather just a resolution upgrade for existing content and compatibility with legitimate HD-DVD media. Says Sony:

"It's unfortunate that Microsoft's external HD-DVD drive will not enhance the experience at all for the gamer. Sony realizes that to truly take gaming into the next generation requires a larger data format for both games and movies. PS3 uses the Blu-ray format for gaming, giving developers 50 GB of high-definition storage on a single disc, while Microsoft's 9 GB DVD gaming format is an obstacle for storing HD content. Furthermore, Microsoft's announced HD games patch is really just a compatibility feature -- upscaling lower-resolution content does not make it Full HD (1080p), something that PS3 can do out of the box."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/21/so...-announcement/

But check out what Warner Bros did. This could potentially be awesome if they can get the costs manegable.

Console makers and movie studios both have a lot riding on the success of the competing DVD formats, but a new patent recently filed by Warner Bros. engineers may help calm the battle. The patent details the creation of a disc that holds HD-DVD, Blu-ray and standard DVD data on the same disc by using three different layers of information. The discs would cost more to produce, but the cost might be worth it if movie consumers could be sure that the disc will work on whatever HD player they may end up with.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/18/t...e-hybrid-disc/

I particularly liked this comment from that second article:

"This is starting to sound like the "my dad can beat up your dad" argument, only between two major billionaire corporations."

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    I particularly liked this comment from that second article:

"This is starting to sound like the "my dad can beat up your dad" argument, only between two major billionaire corporations."

The picture they picked is what got me. Somehow I just thought these two systems materialized would look a little different. Esp. given their price tags.

I thought that the PS3 just upconverted to 1080p also? The fact of the matter is, the games won't be produced to be shown in 1080p, as it eats too much of the GPU pipe. This was a "quiet" announcement Sony made during the summer.

It also looks like Microsoft is addressing the faulty Xbox 360 issues. They are extending warranties and offering free repair on all defective 360s made before 1/1/2006. It hasn't been made an official announcement yet, but many people have called in and confirmed. See here
    I'm full of beans.

It will upscale games to 1080p. But there are in fact games that are native 1080p. 2 to be exact are ready to go at launch. It's not much but they do exist so you can't say they won't be made in that resolution when they clearly have.

Well it's getting heated ...

[UPDATE] After getting word of Sony's comments Microsoft told GameDaily BIZ that contrary to the SCEA statement, "The facts are that with this software update, video and game content developed for 1080p will be output at 1080p -- native, not upscaled. Only content developed for lower resolutions will be upscaled."

[UPDATE 2] There's been a lot of talk about the problems associated with 1080p output over a component connection (because of digital rights management), and that on the Xbox 360 1080p would only be possible via VGA or an as yet unannounced HDMI connection for the console. However, an MS spokesperson told us today that 1080p can be done on either VGA or component, but that they haven't confirmed it will be done over a component connection. "More details will come on how we're outputting but it won't require HDMI," the rep said.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13877

I said it along time ago that MS not putting an HDMI on that board was gonna come back and bite them.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    [UPDATE] After getting word of Sony's comments Microsoft told GameDaily BIZ that contrary to the SCEA statement, "The facts are that with this software update, video and game content developed for 1080p will be output at 1080p -- native, not upscaled. Only content developed for lower resolutions will be upscaled."
    Ummm... when they refer to games and content developled for 1080p, are they indicating that they are developing games for the HD-DVD drive, or are they refering to games that will use the existing Xbox 360 drive and that downloadable update that will make the resolution better?

Because if this means that we have to get the HD-DVD drive in order to play future games, then I am going to be very upset.

It will upscale games to 1080p. But there are in fact games that are native 1080p. 2 to be exact are ready to go at launch.
    Huh, I hadn't heard that. Now that I do a quick google search, it looks like Sony is pressing "Fall of Man" to be 1080p, but whether it will or not is still not set in concrete.

The HD-DVDs shouldn't matter if a game is 1080p or not. If a 1080p game can fit into a DVD9, then the 360 will display it. All that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs do is offer more storage for the games. But MS should need an HDMI connection for 1080p (or VGA, I would think). Can the HD-DVD drive even play movies with HDMI? I thought the movies' copy protection wouldn't let it play on component without being scaled down? There has got to be an HDMI (or at least DVI) harness for the 360 in the works, I would think.

In the long run though, I guess I really don't care. My TV has a native resolution of 768, and I'm in no hurry to buy something that can support 1080p anyways. And I doubt I would ever use a console to play movies, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD or otherwise. Still, it's funny to see MS and Sony arguing like two kids in the back seat of the car. "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!"
    Last edited by cesium; September 21, 2006 at 04:47pm.
    I'm full of beans.

[Wii] Nintendo in talks with GTA publisher, promises M-rated content on Wii

Howdy

More interesting news:

As if Sega working with Nintendo wasn't enough of a culture-shock, recent news suggests we may be seeing Rockstar and Nintendo together at last, with the possibility of Wii GTA titles.

"We're reaching out to every publisher, frankly every day. I'll be spending some time later today with the folks over at Take Two who own Rockstar to see what type of support they can give our console," Nintendo of America's president, Reggie Fils-Aime, told MTV. "The fact is there will be M-rated content on the Wii console. EA has already announced that they're bringing 'The Godfather' to our console. And we want every single best-selling game to be available on Wii. Whatever that content is."

Of course, Nintendo consoles haven't flinched from the rough stuff as much as some people think - the GameCube featured two of the most decidedly mature titles of last generation in Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7 - although the company has very publicly drawn the line at GTA in the past. But now it seems ready to cross it - old-timers will remember that Rockstar actually got a leg-up on GTA's free-roaming style with Body Harvest on N64, so a Wii-TA could be a homecoming of sorts.

If the Wii can bring GTA to Nintendo it has to be something special

This article is from www.gamesradar.com

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    I am so tired of fanboy this fanboy that. If you go to the does anyone collect Nintendo games you will clearly see I have everything Nintendo ever released most documented in the photos. Which is way more stuff than Sony. I have bought more stuff to keep my Nintendo stuff running, starting with the NES to the gamecube.

Fanboy is a flame term and I don't go around calling people Nintidiots or Wii-tards or NintenDorks. So show the same level of respect.
    Sorry buddy, I was jokking. Thats why I put the He-man with the shifting eyes.
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman
    Sorry buddy, I was jokking. Thats why I put the He-man with the shifting eyes.
    It wasn't really directed at you or at anyone else in particular for that matter. I geuss that was the Fanboy comment that set me off. Finally.

Uhm. Ridge Racer 7 is in 1080p and I know for a fact that Gran Turismo HD will be. What's MGS4 running in. There are games that are gonna be Native in 1080p. That's just a given.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/22/jo...e-racer-7-ps3/

And geuss what.

Ken Kutaragi's first bombshell was that the 20 gigabyte PS3 model will now included an HDMI port. Until now, only the 60 Gig model was set to include the next generation port, which is currently available on only a small fraction of televisions.

"HDMI compatible televisions are spreading faster than we expected," cited Kutaragi as reason for the change.

But this upgrade in specifications is nothing compared to what Kutaragi had in store next. The 20 gigabyte PS3 model is going to break new ground by seeing a price drop before it's even been released! Kutaragi announced that the 20 Gig model, HDMI port and all, will now cost 49,980 yen. This is a drastic drop from the previous 62,790 yen.

The 60 gigabyte model is still set at open pricing, meaning retailers are free to price it as they please. However, given that the price drop for the 20 Gig model, the actual retail pricing of the 60 gig model will likely change accordingly.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734349p1.html

That's right a price drop and HDMI for both models. Already.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; September 22, 2006 at 06:31am.

Well, hopefully the PS3 price drop will make its way to America as well.

While PS3 is my least favorite of the 3 new systems as of right now, and while I do not plan to get it at launch, I am sure that sooner or later some kind of exclusive content with his PS3 that I will want. So, the lower the starting price of the system is, the better off I will be.

Howdy

Far Cry Vengeance Interview
    We've got all the Wii details you're looking for and first-ever Wii screenshots, too.
    by Matt Casamassina
    September 21, 2006 - Publishing giant Ubisoft is supporting Nintendo's Wii console with eight launch window games -- a number almost unheard of in the videogame industry. One of the first games to hit Wii courtesy the publisher is the officially titled Far Cry Vengeance. We've put together a new interview with the Wii version's designer, Fabrice Cuny. And yes, we've also posted first-ever Wii screenshots. But before we get to any of that, we've got a few basic game details for you.

Far Cry Vengeance follows Jack Carver as he fights to stay alive in a tropical environment filled with militant baddies. Jack must use a variety of weapons -- and even some super powers -- to figure out exactly what he's stumbled into and to put things right again. The Wii version of Unleashed uses Nintendo's Wii-mote and nunchuk controllers to further enhance the way the game is played, enabling a higher degree of control sensitivity than previously possible on home consoles. The game also boasts new maps, characters and weapons.
    Fabrice Cuny gives us the scoop below:

IGN Wii: Can you explain to gamers completely unfamiliar with the Far Cry franchise what it's all about?

Fabrice Cuny: Far Cry is a first person shooter that takes place in a gorgeous tropical setting. The story follows Jack Carver, just a normal guy who retired with his boat to live a peaceful life. Trouble always seems to find Jack Carver, no matter where he goes. While on the island he becomes a victim of scientific experimentation and since then he possesses feral powers.

IGN Wii: There are so many versions of Far Cry, including Instincts, Evolution and Predator. Where does the Wii version fit in?

Fabrice Cuny: When the Red Steel team exclaimed how cool it was to play an FPS on the Wii, we did a bit of investigating and we heard that Nintendo fans wanted to play this game. To bring Far Cry to the Nintendo console for the first time, we proposed how we could bring it to the Wii in a fresh and unique way. Early on Nintendo had touted the Wii controller as being excellent for an FPS game, and we wanted to allow people to experience Far Cry in this way. Far Cry Vengeance is the Wii's exclusive episode which builds upon Far Cry Instincts Evolution and expands to include a new storyline, new maps, and new weapons.

IGN Wii: Ubisoft's North American president said there is a fresh storyline for the Wii game. What is it?

Fabrice Cuny: I don't want to spoil the whole story, but Far Cry Vengeance's background is inspired by Far Cry Instincts Evolution. We added more depth and elements in the storyline; for example Jack Carver will meet a new character called Kien Do, he is the Governor's chief lieutenant. Bodyguard, adviser and assassin, he is also the unofficial chief commanding officer of the country's army and police force. When need be, he can act as judge, jury and executioner.

IGN Wii: There are apparently new maps for the Wii build. What can we expect to see?

Fabrice Cuny: You will be able to see three new maps: Tourist Resort, an abandoned World War II base and a petrol refinery. Each environment has its own identity, like in the Tourist Resort map where Jack will fight his opponents in a luxurious hotel.

IGN Wii: There are also new characters and weapons in the Wii version. Can you give us a few examples?

Fabrice Cuny: Right now we can't reveal anything about new characters in the story, however we can tell you that new weapons included will be a machete, Bull44 large-caliber revolver, G18 automatic rifle, and a few more.

IGN Wii: The Wii has been described as more powerful than the original Xbox, but not as powerful as Xbox 360. What type of visuals can we expect from the Wii version of Far Cry?

Fabrice Cuny: Overall the Wii is more powerful than an Xbox, even if the Xbox can do some stuff that the Wii can't. But remember the Wii is more focused on its unique gameplay using the Wii controller and not on power. We can expect a game as beautiful as what we used to see on Xbox.

IGN Wii: Will the game run at 60 frames per second?

Fabrice Cuny: Like the previous titles, Far Cry Vengeance will be running at 30 frames per second to ensure stability.
    IGN Wii: Tell us about the control scheme. How are you using the Wii controller to enhance the experience?

Fabrice Cuny: While I can't list all the moves you will be able to perform with the Wii controller, here are a few examples: you can jump by lifting the nunchuk controller, you will zoom with your weapon without pressing a button just by moving your Wii Remote controller forward, you can kill an enemy with a machete by making a slashing move with the Wii Remote controller...

IGN Wii: How are you using the nunchuck attachment, if at all?

Fabrice Cuny: The Nunchuk controller will be used to control player's actions movements around the map such as crouching, driving, and shooting.

IGN Wii: How will melee be handled with the Wii controller?

Fabrice Cuny: By making a slashing move with the Wii controller you can kill enemies using a machete or feral attack using predatorine.

IGN Wii: Will Far Cry Wii's controls rival that of a PC mouse/keyboard setup, in your opinion?

Fabrice Cuny: While you will be using two independent peripherals (Wii Remote controller and the nunchuk controller together), the experience is completely different from that of a mouse/keyboard. We are not attempting to reproduce the same feeling as playing an FPS on the PC. We want to propose to the gamers a gameplay dedicated for the Wii controllers.

IGN Wii: Will the Wii version of the game run in progressive scan and 16x9 widescreen modes?

Fabrice Cuny: Yes, Far Cry Vengeance will support progressive scan and 16:9 widescreen modes.

IGN Wii: Tell us about Far Cry Wii's multiplayer mode.

Fabrice Cuny: The game will feature a split screen multiplayer mode, but I can't talk too much about it because we are still exploring the possibilities.

IGN Wii: Will there be an online component?

Fabrice Cuny: We are exploring the possibility to have an online multiplayer mode, so I can't talk too much about it.

IGN Wii: Are you planning to take advantage of WiiConnect24 to offer upgrades and other downloads to Wii Far Cry owners?

Fabrice Cuny: Like the online multiplayer, we are still exploring the possibilities.

IGN Wii: Will Far Cry for Wii feature e level creator?

Fabrice Cuny: Unfortunately, Far Cry Vengeance won't feature the map editor.

IGN Wii: How big is the Wii Far Cry development team and how long have you been working on the game?

Fabrice Cuny:We started working on Far Cry Vengeance at the same time as Predator. More than 60 people are working on the title.

IGN Wii: What do you think of the Wii hardware and the controller?

Fabrice Cuny: In term of gameplay, the Wii is absolutely stunning. Far Cry Vengeance will be more immersive than ever, imagine now you can make a slashing movement to perform a Feral Attack. The controls were designed to really take advantages of the Wii controllers.

IGN Wii: Thanks Fabrice. Finally, any final words for fans anticipating Far Cry's arrival on Wii?

Fabrice Cuny: We worked hard on this game, we are really glad that Nintendo's fans will be able to discover the Far Cry Universe and we hope that you will enjoy it as much as we enjoy creating it.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/733/733951p2.html

Damn, I want to get this now.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Looks like the price drop for the PS3 wont be coming to America

Sony cuts price of PlayStation 3 to $410
    Yahoo News

TOKYO - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). said Friday it will slash the price of its much-anticipated PlayStation 3 video game console in Japan by 20 percent, heating up the competition in the next-generation gaming war against rivals Microsoft and Nintendo.

The announcement comes just days after Microsoft Corp. announced that it would roll out an external high definition DVD player for its
    Xbox 360 in an effort to match the PlayStation 3, due to be released in November with its own Blu-ray DVD technology.

Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi, speaking at the Tokyo Game Show in Makuhari, just east of Tokyo, said the move was in response to consumer complaints the upcoming console was too pricey.

Sony will cut the domestic price of its basic PlayStation 3 model to 47,600 yen, or about $410, from an originally planned 59,800 yen, or $515. That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen, or $427.

There are no plans to lower prices in the U.S. or other markets, Sony spokeswoman Nanako Kato said. In Japan, the game will hit stores on Nov. 11.

In the U.S., it will go on sale Nov. 17 at $499 for a 20 gigabyte hard drive version and at $599 for the 60 gigabyte version.

The decision could give Sony a badly needed boost at a time of embarrassing delays for the highly anticipated upgrade. Rival Nintendo Co. is also scheduled to release its next-generation Wii gaming system by year's end, while Xbox 360 has been selling in Japan since December 2005.

PlayStation 3, initially planned for earlier this year, has been postponed twice. Sony now expects to ship only 2 million units by year's end instead of an original projection of 4 million.

The price cut affects the basic PlayStation 3 model, which comes with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. Another upscale version of the PlayStation 3 will have a 60 gigabyte hard drive, but Sony is leaving its pricing to retailers.

Xbox 360 was rushed to market last year to get a headstart on its rivals, but it has seen sluggish sales in Japan, which is one of the world's biggest video game markets but one in which players have a deep loyalty to homegrown Sony.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft's decision to launch an HD DVD peripheral in Japan on Nov. 22, based on a rival format to Sony's Blu-ray, is seen as one attempt to eat into that base. The basic Xbox 360 doesn't come with any high-definition DVD capability.

Nintendo said last week its new Wii game console will arrive on schedule in the final quarter of the year, priced below both rivals, the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3.
    Last edited by The.Idea.of.Evil; September 22, 2006 at 02:46pm.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    I hope that Sony does drop it's price in the US -- may be that will get Nintendo to drop the price on the Wii as well....wishful thinking, I guess.

Nintendo won't drop the price cause they don't need to. It will sell in Japan regardless just like the PS3 will. Sony didn't do this cause of the Wii. They did it in no doubt to response of MS selling the 360 there way cheap with 2 packed in games and an extra controller well under the US Core price. That's desperation. And Sony is making sure MS has no chance in Japan.

anyway.. Heres a tidbit about the Red Steel.

While it's no secret that the Wii doesn't have the sheer processing power of the Xbox 360 of the PS3, this interview with Epic's Mark Rein makes it a bit easier to understand -- "it's not Intel integrated graphics, but it's pretty far below the kind of min-bar of Unreal Engine 3." Previously, Epic had been considering using Unreal Engine 3 on the Wii, which at that point was still the Revolution.

He goes on to admit that Unreal Engine 3 wouldn't run on the original Xbox, or the PS2, but it is being used for subsequent games on the next-gen versions of both of those consoles.

With Ubisoft using Unreal Engine 2 for Red Steel, does this mean that the Wii will always be a distant third in the graphics department?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/22/wi...he-totem-pole/

Before we finish up: did Epic ever get that Wii dev kit?

Mark Rein: (laughs) I can't say, I'm under NDA with Nintendo. But I can tell you that we're not doing, internally any development right now on the Wii. The Wii I'm sure is going to be a fantastic machine and sell really well but it's kind of below - it's not Intel integrated graphics but it's pretty far bellow the kind of min-bar of Unreal Engine 3. If you built a PC with that spec it wouldn't really be capable of playing an Unreal Engine 3 games decently. They're aiming at clearly at different audience that what we are. You know, Unreal Engine 3 can't run on Xbox 1 or PS2 either - and that's not to say that some of our licensees wont find a way to shoe-horn it into that platform, we certainly have some licensees that are doing some experiments in that area and it could very well happen. But that's a really tough job. And one thing that has become public knowledge in the last little while is that Ubisoft's game Red Steel is using Unreal Engine 2, so there will be Unreal Engine games on the Wii. There will be Unreal Engine games on the Wii and hopefully they'll be successful and maybe we'll make a little money from it, but Unreal Engine 3 - that's a little below our target platform.

Do you think the Wii will be able to emulate the success of the DS?

Mark Rein: They certainly have a lot of buzz right now and if they can have a low enough price (NOTE: our interview was conducted before Nintendo's recent price announcement)- you know, people compare the DS and the PSP but the DS is half the price of the PSP, It's going for a different market than the PSP almost and so maybe that's the difference between Wii and PlayStation 3 or Wii and Xbox 360. Maybe they're going to come out at a significantly lower price point and they'll be able to do some really cool stuff with it, we'll have to wait and see. Or wait and Wii (laughs).

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=146449

Howdy

As I have said before, the fact that it is slightly more powerful than the X-Box is sufficient for me. I just want to play the bloody games with a revolutionary new controller.....I still have to wait 3 months and X amount of days

Incase someone hasn't seen here is the full specs list for Wii:

729 MHz IBM PowerPC "Broadway" CPU
    243 MHz ATI "Hollywood" GPU
    24MBs "main" 1T-SRAM
    64MBs other 1T-SRAM
    512MBs internal flash memory
    3MBs texture memory on GPU
    Built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi capability
    One SD memory card bay
    AV multi-port: S-video, composite,
    component
    Analog (left/right) audio / DPLII
    Four GameCube controller ports
    Two GameCube Memory Pak slots
    Two USB 2.0 ports
    Compatible with up to four wireless Wii-motes
    Self-loading media drive
    Accepts 12cm Wii and 8cm GCN discs; no DVD movies

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; September 22, 2006 at 05:32pm.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Well like I said at the every end of my sentence, it's wishful thinking, but I don't think anything is ever set in stone. If Sony drops the price on the basic model, Microsoft might drop their price, and it becomes a domino effect. Again, it's all just predictions and is my opinion, but I've seen weirder things happen.

I have a question about the GameCube controllers. Will you be able to play Virtual Console games with the Gamecube controller? And alternatively, will you be able to play Gamecube games with the Virtual Console controller?

Have they every addressed this?
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.