Page 12 of 351 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt
    theoretically, yes. If you want, I already have a couple SD cards sitting around my house and I can try it on Nov 19th when it comes out and let you know then (as the European launch is after the North American one).
    Howdy

Mate that would be fantastic if you would do so.

Thank you

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    Something I was thinking of today that I thought I'd post here since we seem to be in a predominantly handheld discussion at the moment. I wonder if Nintendo will make a DS Player attachment for the Wii like the GBA Player attachment they made for Gamecube. When the Wii is released, I'm keeping my Gamecube solely because of the GBA Player. There are always games for the handhelds I want, but I tend to dislike the handhelds themselves. I hate those tiny screens.

I'd love to get New Super Mario Bros, the new Zelda (Phantom Hourglass?), and even the new Pokemon games Pearl/Diamond. But I'm not too inclined to drop $129 for a portable handheld system when somewhere down the line Nintendo might make some attachment for the Wii that'll play DS and GBA games.
    That would be cool, but I don't know if they could pheasably translate the DS games onto the TV. I mean, it requires 2 screens, so the only way they could do that would be to simulate to dual screen thing by taking your existing TV screen, putting black bars up and down the sides, and splitting the remaining area up to simulate the two screens.

And even if they do that, how would they compensate for the need for the touch screen? Granted, not all games use it significantly, but most games require at least some use of it at some point. Even in New Super Mario Bros., while the touch screen is not at all used for the gameplay itself, it is still required for jumping back and forth between worlds on the map on the lower screen.

Don't get me wrong, if they could find a good, reasonable, logical way to get this to work, I'd be all for it. But I just don't see that happening.

As for the Gameboy Player... have you seen this?

http://www.gameexpress.com/product_d...C=708056570507

Pelican put out this Gamecube gamepad which is primarily designed to be used with the GB Player. It takes away the analog pads and makes the D-Pad the main directional control. I think its probably been out for a while and is likely being discontinued (since the GB Player is pretty much done being produced). I just happened to stumble upon it at my local Gamestop recently and picked it up.

I remember seeing pictures of something similar to this being put out officially by Nintendo. I think it may have only come out in Japan or something. But they never released it in the USA.

So, this control is pretty sweet for the GBA games. It also comes in handy for some other things for GCN like the Megaman Collections, other retro games, and possibly even any games that don't make use of (or at least don't require) the Analog pads.

I have the one, and I may go and pick up a second one at some point.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; September 29, 2006 at 04:48pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    Don't get me wrong, if they could find a good, reasonable, logical way to get this to work, I'd be all for it. But I just don't see that happening.
    Well just burst my bubble why don't you.

Maybe I should just break down and buy a DS already. There are a good handful of games I want. It's just that I hate those little screens.

Well just burst my bubble why don't you.

Maybe I should just break down and buy a DS already. There are a good handful of games I want. It's just that I hate those little screens.
    Howdy

Trust me man when you are immersed in a game like Another Code you forget you looking at little screens

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Guys, definitely a good sign for the Wii...

I went to my local Toys R Us here in Southern Ontario and they told me I couldn't pre-order one because all the Wii's they are slated to get have already been pre-ordered. He said, no regular customer will be able to buy one at that location.

Sucks for me

Hopefully Wal-Mart or Best Buy won't sell out so I can get one on launch day.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by shigsy2003
    Trust me man when you are immersed in a game like Another Code you forget you looking at little screens
    The little screens are always a problem for me, no matter how much I try to ignore it. Although I put up with it when I first got a GBA, I didn't really start buying a lot of GBA games until the GB Player was released for Gamecube. I had the same problem with the original Gameboy which was later solved by the creation of the Super Gameboy for Super Nintendo. I can only hope something similar is released for the DS.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt
    Guys, definitely a good sign for the Wii...

I went to my local Toys R Us here in Southern Ontario and they told me I couldn't pre-order one because all the Wii's they are slated to get have already been pre-ordered. He said, no regular customer will be able to buy one at that location.

Sucks for me

Hopefully Wal-Mart or Best Buy won't sell out so I can get one on launch day.
    Hmmm... interesting. I'm kind of having the opposite problem.

I am waiting to reserve a Wii at my local Gamestop. They have not started taking reservations yet because they have not been given a number of units that they will get in. So, I hope they find out soon, because I want to reserve the system. I don't want to be out hunting or camping for one. That will suck (if it comes down to that, then I'll just wait until they are readily available rather than camp out over night just to obtain one).

They are taking reservations on the launch games, so I reserved a few of those. So, hopefully I can get the system to play them on.

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Hmmm... interesting. I'm kind of having the opposite problem.

I am waiting to reserve a Wii at my local Gamestop. They have not started taking reservations yet because they have not been given a number of units that they will get in. So, I hope they find out soon, because I want to reserve the system. I don't want to be out hunting or camping for one. That will suck (if it comes down to that, then I'll just wait until they are readily available rather than camp out over night just to obtain one).

They are taking reservations on the launch games, so I reserved a few of those. So, hopefully I can get the system to play them on.
    Thats my plan as well.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

The little screens are always a problem for me, no matter how much I try to ignore it. Although I put up with it when I first got a GBA, I didn't really start buying a lot of GBA games until the GB Player was released for Gamecube. I had the same problem with the original Gameboy which was later solved by the creation of the Super Gameboy for Super Nintendo. I can only hope something similar is released for the DS.
    Well, when you first got a GBA, did you get the original one, or the SP with the light up screen?

If you got the first GBA (prior to light up screens being in any of Nintendo's handheld systems), then yeah, I can see the problem. The size of the screen may stink, but the worst part is just trying to get it into the proper light so that you can even see what you are doing. I actually prefered Super Gameboy over the regular GB back in the day for the same reason.

However, things have been improving ever since the light up screens have been introduced. I traded in my GBA for a GBA SP (only about 3 or 4 months after getting GBA) but it was definately worth it. The light up screen was so much better. Then I got the DS pretty much right when it came out, and it's light up screens were even better. Then, when the DS Lite came out, I was hesitant to rebuy the system, but temptation got the better of me. And let me tell you, it was well worth it. I mean, the screen difference between the DS and DS Lite is almost like night and day. And that's not to say that the screen of the DS were anything to complain about, as they were really nice. But the DS Lite was just SO much more of an improvement. It's not only brighter, but the colors are just much more rich and vibrant.

So, if your opinions of these small screen are based on the previous Gameboys without screen that light up, then I really suggest you give the DS Lite a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. (Even if you are hesitant to go out and buy one, see if you know anyone who has one just to try it out).

All this talk about Gameboys made me think of the time I gave one of my younger cousins my original Gameboy and Pokemon Red for Christmas. Man that thing was a clunker. I couldn't believe how much thinner the GBA was than that thing. Crazy.

If you got the first GBA (prior to light up screens being in any of Nintendo's handheld systems), then yeah, I can see the problem. The size of the screen may stink, but the worst part is just trying to get it into the proper light so that you can even see what you are doing.
    Yeah, getting the original GBA into the proper light so you could actually see what you were doing was a pain, but I was usually able to get around that most of the time. While the light from the screen (or lack of) was an issue, my problem has so much more to do with the small screens.

So, if your opinions of these small screen are based on the previous Gameboys without screen that light up, then I really suggest you give the DS Lite a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. (Even if you are hesitant to go out and buy one, see if you know anyone who has one just to try it out).
    I don't know anyone who has a DS, but I have tried them out in stores. I've played one of the Brain Age games and New Super Mario Bros. You're right about how bright and vibrant the thing is, but those tiny screens . . . (I have a hard time getting passed that one aspect of handhelds). Still, playing a handheld in a store is different than playing at home. At a store, that sucker is stuck in that one spot which is obviously situated for children. At home, I can hold the DS a lot closer to my face.

There are good number of games I'd like to play that are DS only and I think I'm just going to break down and buy one tomorrow (it's my bithday after all ). I think I'll grab the black DS Lite, New Super Mario Bros, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon , and Tetris DS. Other games I'm thinking about are Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Metroid: Pinball, Super Mario 64DS, and Star Fox Command. Then next year there's Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Pokemon Pearl/Diamond .

Is it wrong to like Pokemon games when you're a day away from turning 26?
    Last edited by CJ Clifford; October 2, 2006 at 10:27am.

[Wii] Console keeps tabs on what you play and for how long

Howdy

I read this a couple of days ago but here it is on Gamesradar from Ninty's website: Iwata Asks

Nintendo's Wii console will feature a system called Play History, a permanent record that keeps tabs on what you're playing, when you're playing it and for how long. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata hopes Play History will "stop games being regarded with hostility in the family".

The Play History record cannot be deleted and is designed to "allow parents to discuss with their children how much they are using the console," says Shinichiro Tamaki, of Nintendo's research and development department, during an interview on Nintendo's official website. But the original idea, from Iwata, was far more controversial.

"I came up with a suggestion," Iwata explains, "perhaps a rather outlandish one! What I thought was that if a parent said that their child was only allowed to play games for one hour a day, how about making it so the console actually turns itself off after an hour? Of course, the console would save the game data before it switched off!"

Nintendo's research suggested Iwata's idea was unworkable, despite some people thinking that "without such an extreme solution, mothers would always hate computer games". Eventually, the idea lead to the alternative of a Play History feature.

Whatever your thoughts about the feature - it's effectively just a more sophisticated version of the play time stats you get with many saved game files - Play History shows just how focused Nintendo is in making Wii a console that is bought for the whole family, not just a single gamer. Whether Ninty's ambition will be realised is another question - we'll just have to wait and see.

Wii is watching you

Sounds good actually, since some games don't say how long you have been playing or how long it took you to complete, I like to know this so handy

Chris M

It is a good feature for parents, but I just don't like the idea that there's no way to delete it at all. But, since I will likely be the just about the only person using my Wii when I get it, I guess it isn't a big issue for me.

It is a good feature for parents, but I just don't like the idea that there's no way to delete it at all. But, since I will likely be the just about the only person using my Wii when I get it, I guess it isn't a big issue for me.
    Howdy

Whats the problem with not being able to delete the data? I can't see it getting in the way of anything and you don't have to access it.

Chris M

Whats the problem with not being able to delete the data? I can't see it getting in the way of anything and you don't have to access it.
    Well, yeah, you make a good point. And for me it will likely fall somewhere between being a minimal to a non issue.

However, I look at it like this... I have a little sister who's about to turn 11 in a couple of months. Currently, she has a Gamecube and so do I. When she comes over to visit me, she often brings over some of her games to play at my place. While some are cool and I enjoy them, some are ones that I personally don't care much for, and are aimed at children.

So, I am planning on getting a Wii (and it sounds like my mom and step dad are talking about getting one for my sister for Christmas if they can get ahold of one). And if this trend were to continue, and she were to bring over some embarassing, silly kiddie game, then the memory of that game being played on my system will stay there. Then, if I were to have a friend come over who possibly also has a Wii, or at least knows how it works, and that person went to access the game history, it would have that silly game on there, and then I would look silly for having it on there (even if I give an explanation).

I mean, I don't see it being something that becomes a huge issue, but still, I just think its something that I should be able to delete if I choose to.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I think that it's the kind of thing that should be optionally deletable. Perhaps it could be designed so the parents can set up a password to access that info. And the only way to delete the info is with the password. That would make more sense, IMO.

Again, it's not a big deal. In the grand scheme of things it is minimal... but it just seems to be something more in the direction of 'big brother is watching you'. I mean, if you take your system online, what's to stop someone (possibly the people at Nintendo) from accessing this info and keeping tabs on what you are playing? I really don't think it's any of their damn business.

Again, it's not a big deal. In the grand scheme of things it is minimal... but it just seems to be something more in the direction of 'big brother is watching you'. I mean, if you take your system online, what's to stop someone (possibly the people at Nintendo) from accessing this info and keeping tabs on what you are playing? I really don't think it's any of their damn business.
    Isn't Microsoft already doing this with the 360? The system logs every game you play on your profile, the last time you played it, and all the achievements you've unlocked for each game. Maybe you'll be able to set up a seperate profile on the Wii just like the 360 so you won't have to worry about any little kiddie games being associated with you.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Isn't Microsoft already doing this with the 360? The system logs every game you play on your profile, the last time you played it, and all the achievements you've unlocked for each game. Maybe you'll be able to set up a seperate profile on the Wii just like the 360 so you won't have to worry about any little kiddie games being associated with you.
    Yeah, it's not a new feature...Nintendo is just showcasing it. In my opinion, it's not a big deal.

I hope the rumor of having one friend code per console is true...

DEE DEE DEE!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159255.html

And in other news, more bad news for Sony

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159254...ort=1#comments
    Last edited by TheDeviot; October 3, 2006 at 09:58pm.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot
    I can't imagine anyone being so stupd as to pay someone to get them a higher gamerscore. I like the gamerscore and achievement aspect of 360 games, but damn man. It's not that big a deal. Of course, you can't blame someone for trying to cash in on someone else's stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot
    And in other news, more bad news for Sony

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159254...ort=1#comments
    Poor Sony. They certainly do have my pity. And in this console war, I think that's about all they'll be getting.

Howdy

Woo Hoo, pre-ordered my Wii with Red Steel

Chris M

Mario Kart didn't do anything to progress the series sorry. All those characters were in previous games as well as minus 2 power ups. And half the tracks were watered down Retro cup. I stated when Mario Kart DS *in it's own thread. came out that this was a step backwards.

And since people don't believe it unless it comes from the horses mouth.

"- Looking at the titles that have been announced so far, the pace at which games are being released is comparable to the N64 and GC.

Miyamoto:
    The hardware is basically a GC. We’ve upgraded our development tools to new versions but, you can still use GC programs as they are. With that in mind, I thought we could remake GC titles for the Wii and modify them to work with the Wii remote so that they’re more fun to play.

- "Games will change. The 64 can change them." was the catch phrase then and they really did change.

Miyamoto:
    They did but at the same time, there were also a large number of people who weren’t playing games anymore. I think we could clearly see the crowd being split into people who played games and those who didn’t.

The Birth of the GC after Reflecting on the N64

- And then came the time of the GC.

Miyamoto:
    Oh yes, the GC that we created because lots of people in society were still playing games. Aimed at the weakening core market, the GC performed much better than the PS2 and was the superior platform to create games on. However, having the trivial feature of being able to view DVDs too, the PS2 opened up a gap between it and the GC."

http://www.gamebrink.com/news/602-Mi...ew_Part_2.html

Yeah so uhm the only reason the GC didn't sell is cause it didn't have a Dvd player. But everyones been screaming already got one don't need another.

People weren't playing games yeah that's why the PS1 sold 100 million + versus the N64s 32.93 million.

The man says yep it's a Game Cube and we plan on remaking GC titles with Wii Mote functionality. No rehashes there.

Give me a break seriously.

Oh and the PS2 has outsold the PS1 and the GC sold less than the N64 21 million is the number. So if you have that many systems out, any technology period, and your selling em that fast then of course some of them are gonna have problems. It's basic laws of probability the more out there the higher number that's gonna be visible. If you look at the actual number that are "defective" versus the number that aren't and are in homes than you nullify your argument. But we wouldn't want that.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; October 4, 2006 at 03:54pm.

Howdy

Woo Hoo, pre-ordered my Wii with Red Steel

Chris M
    At Gamestop? Are they taking reserves now?

-Brett
    Who is all reserved.

={+}=

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88

Uhm no actually the PSP is a run away success. NO ONE before the PSP has been able to take market share away from Nintendo and they've accomplished that by almost 50%.

True the 2 sytems are a different gaming experience for 1 the top selling software on the DS aren't games. Versus the top selling games on the PSP. It's true the DS is selling more titles of non games but the PSP has more A++ titles as you can clearly see from the metareviews. There are things that aren't done at all properly on the DS for one example Fighting games. And Freind codes is hardly Wi-fi in the same manner that the PSP is wi-fi.

As far as sales go well in Japan maybe. But we live in America where the PSP is a top seller.
    This is a financial quote new from the associated press- not fan boy "facts",
    According to several news-service reports, the stock drop came after two major analysts downgraded Sony's stock on concerns about its gaming division, Sony Computer Entertainment. "We have adopted a cautious view of the impact of the [Sony] game business on the electronics business this term,'' Goldman Sachs analyst Yuji Fujimori told Bloomberg. Fujimori downgraded Sony's rating from "buy" to "neutral" citing "confusion over the release of PlayStation 3 and concerns [about] disappointing sales of [the] PlayStation Portable," according to the Associated Press.
    The PSP is NOT a runaway success, if it were they wouldn't be clearancing the movies studios would be rushing titles out to it and the financial experts would not have downgraded sony's stock to neutral. bad tidings ahead.

funny gif by the way.

Mario Kart didn't do anything to progress the series sorry. All those characters were in previous games as well as minus 2 power ups. And half the tracks were watered down Retro cup. I stated when Mario Kart DS *in it's own thread. came out that this was a step backwards.

And since people don't believe it unless it comes from the horses mouth.

"- Looking at the titles that have been announced so far, the pace at which games are being released is comparable to the N64 and GC.

Miyamoto:
    The hardware is basically a GC. We’ve upgraded our development tools to new versions but, you can still use GC programs as they are. With that in mind, I thought we could remake GC titles for the Wii and modify them to work with the Wii remote so that they’re more fun to play.

- "Games will change. The 64 can change them." was the catch phrase then and they really did change.

Miyamoto:
    They did but at the same time, there were also a large number of people who weren’t playing games anymore. I think we could clearly see the crowd being split into people who played games and those who didn’t.

The Birth of the GC after Reflecting on the N64

- And then came the time of the GC.

Miyamoto:
    Oh yes, the GC that we created because lots of people in society were still playing games. Aimed at the weakening core market, the GC performed much better than the PS2 and was the superior platform to create games on. However, having the trivial feature of being able to view DVDs too, the PS2 opened up a gap between it and the GC."

http://www.gamebrink.com/news/602-Mi...ew_Part_2.html

Yeah so uhm the only reason the GC didn't sell is cause it didn't have a Dvd player. But everyones been screaming already got one don't need another.

People weren't playing games yeah that's why the PS1 sold 100 million + versus the N64s 32.93 million.

The man says yep it's a Game Cube and we plan on remaking GC titles with Wii Mote functionality. No rehashes there.

Give me a break seriously.

Oh and the PS2 has outsold the PS1 and the GC sold less than the N64 21 million is the number. So if you have that many systems out, any technology period, and your selling em that fast then of course some of them are gonna have problems. It's basic laws of probability the more out there the higher number that's gonna be visible. If you look at the actual number that are "defective" versus the number that aren't and are in homes than you nullify your argument. But we wouldn't want that.
    Howdy

I know this isn't directed at me but I feel I must respond.

Now I could respond with a list of quotes from the ahem 'brains' at Sony but that would be pointless as I am sure everyone knows all the very silly and contradictory things that they come out with on a daily basis.

You seem to be trying to put Shigsy down with the things that he has said, but they are normal comments that most businesses make when trying tp hype/soften a defeat with regards to a product.

Mario Kart DS did nothing for the series? Well that is your opinion, I personally think it is the best instalment next to Double Dash.

The remaking of GC games to be played on Wii is highly unlikely to happen. This would damage Nintendo and thankfully they have a semblence of intelligence and innovation unlike other companies. I can't see Nintendo wasting the money on remaking Metroid Prime for the Wii just so it can motion control., it doesn't make business sense to do that as hardly anyone would spend the money on it when they know they can play the original on the Wii anyway. Although if they were to do they know the games would have to be sold at about £5 each to even tempt consumers.

Ah why not:

Mr Harrison has said some fairly interesting things: "We don't plan on going down the same path as Nintendo at this time" after the announcement of the Wiimote.

Hmmm nice one Phil...oh yes you said "at this time" okay so companies can change there mind EXCEPT saying "that is a fantastic innovation" and "to say we stole this idea from Nintendo is a little stupid" WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no interest....oh now you do.....oh you have been planning it for years...oh you didn't steal the idea....DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!

One more: "I don't think we will take the route Microsoft has with releasing two different versions of a console as it confuses consumers"........hmmmm need I give an explanation to this???????????????????

BRETT: No no at gameplay a UK company, sorry

Chris M

Miyamoto:
    The hardware is basically a GC. We’ve upgraded our development tools to new versions but, you can still use GC programs as they are.
    This particular comment about the Wii is another reason I think Nintendo is on the right path this time. Since the Wii in both hardware and software is basically an upgraded version of the Gamecube, developers won't have learn how to program for the Wii. They can take everything they already learned programming games for Gamecube and apply that knowledge to the Wii and expand upon it.

That sounds like a very good thing to me. All too often consoles are replaced much too early and developers have to learn a new set of rules for the "next gen" stuff. I think this approach will help Nintendo out with third party developers quite a bit.

This particular comment about the Wii is another reason I think Nintendo is on the right path this time. Since the Wii in both hardware and software is basically an upgraded version of the Gamecube, developers won't have learn how to program for the Wii. They can take everything they already learned programming games for Gamecube and apply that knowledge to the Wii and expand upon it.

That sounds like a very good thing to me. All too often consoles are replaced much too early and developers have to learn a new set of rules for the "next gen" stuff. I think this approach will help Nintendo out with third party developers quite a bit.
    Howdy

Very very good point, developers will love the fact they don't have to get there heads round another console, and while the Wii is slightly more powerful than an X-Box it will still be a simple console to make games on.

More games = happy Nintendo and consumers

Chris M