Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoul
    Dare I mention the Power Glove?
    I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoul
    hemanrep: If Sony and MS are to copy the Wii controller, they will do so within a year if it proves to be a blowaway success. Two years later, we'd have three systems sporting similar control schemes and the market will be (over?)saturated with wand games. I wasn't suggesting Sony/MS would wait 3 years to copy Nintendo.

Also, I should add that HDTV's are still valuable even if people hold on to their DVD's and refuse to jump to HD-DVD or Blu-ray. Just look at all the upscaling DVD players hitting the market. And HDTV content is gaining steam. I expect HDTV's to be the standard in much less than 5 years... more like the 2 or 3 I alluded to.

shigsy: When the D-pad came out, I was just a kid lapping it all up post Atari. Guess what, though: the D-pad was co-introduced with the Nintendo Light Gun. How many Light Gun games came out after Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley? The light gun could be a far better analogy to the Wii-mote than the D-pad is, since both involve physical arm movement and precise hand-eye coordination.

*cough* Dare I mention the Power Glove? *cough*

Look at another feature that has become standard thanks to the N64: controller rumble. Cool, huh? So cool, in fact, that Nintendo felt it was a sacrificable feature when it came to the Wavebird. Same with Sony with their SixaxiS controller for the PS3. The rumble effect can still add positive experience to a game, but it is by no means mandatory, and it's fair to say its novelty has worn off over the past 8 years. Will freehand control be obligatory in another few years, or just another option to enable/disable?
    Howdy

But you are comparing peripherals with a fully fledged controller.

The Wiimote is not the light gun it is something that is going to be used in all games (SSB excluded) for good or bad. But as we know traditional games can have problems with the contempary controllers.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    What exactly is this supposed to prove?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

The guy working on Super Smash Bros basically confirmed that you will be using a normal controller for it in normal play.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/737/737632p1.html

I'm going to hold off on buying a classic controller until this is released. I smell a pack-in
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan
    The guy working on Super Smash Bros basically confirmed that you will be using a normal controller for it in normal play.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/737/737632p1.html

I'm going to hold off on buying a classic controller until this is released. I smell a pack-in
    It would be cool if the controller came as a pack-in with the game. I may still pick up one of those classic controllers when they come out, but I would unltimately like to have 2. So, I'll likely hold off on getting a second one until Smash Bros. comes out.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    What exactly is this supposed to prove?
    I'm wondering the same thing.

It would be cool if the controller came as a pack-in with the game. I may still pick up one of those classic controllers when they come out, but I would unltimately like to have 2. So, I'll likely hold off on getting a second one until Smash Bros. comes out.
    I know the Wii has Gamecube controller ports, so I'm wondering can you use the Cube controller instead of the classic controller, or is the Cube controller only good for Cube games? The classic controller looks nice, but I like the feel of the Cube controller and would rather use it if possible. No point in spending money I don't have to.
    Last edited by CJ Clifford; October 9, 2006 at 11:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    I know the Wii has Gamecube controller ports, so I'm wondering can you use the Cube controller instead of the classic controller, or is the Cube controller only good for Cube games? The classic controller looks nice, but I like the feel of the Cube controller and would rather use it if possible. No point in spending money I don't have to.
    I've heard rumors that the new Smash Bros. may allow you to use the Gamecube controllers instead of the Wii ones. But, as far as I know it's just a rumor and I have nothing concrete to back it up.

It would be nice if it used the GCN Controllers, and I would be in favor of it as an option. I already have a few controllers for GCN, so it would help to prevent the need for purchasing new controllers.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Here's something weird I noticed on EBGames.com. Some of the items/games for the Wii have release dates listed way before the release of the Wii itself. 11/01/06 for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 10/30/06 for Blitz: The League, 11/01/06 for Wii memory cards. And yet the Wii's release date is 11/19/06. Although I've read it may be unofficially released by the end of October by stores that recieve shipments before then. It seems some chains have no problem breaking street date weeks in advance.

According to Japanese technology site ITmedia, the PlayStation 3 nearly matches the Wii in terms of consumer interest.

1 40%: Wii
    2 39%: PS3
    3 16%: Xbox 360
    4 3%: Other

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=3956&Itemid=2

Remember how PlayStation 3 games were supposed to cost a fortune in Japan? Like, $75 to $85 a pop? Well, you can clear that space in your brain, as Sony has announced first-party launch titles Resistance and Genji will be priced at ¥5980 (about $50 USD), as will future first-party title MotorStorm. Third-parties have already announced higher prices, like Sega's ¥7140 asking price for Sonic and Sega Golf Club.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=3961&Itemid=2

1. You know the blue-lit disc drive? It wasn't blue or lit, it was as if the console was off. Though the power button had a little LED in the button itself, to show it was on. Apparently the light was on upon start-up, according to the employees, and they have no idea why it wasn't on later.

2. We know that the sensor bar goes all wonky when halogen lights are in the room. But did you know that natural sunlight messes it up too? That's right, if you have the sun beaming right onto the sensor bar, it doesn't work. For about an hour or so, the sun shone right into the store, the two MP3:C kiosks had to have curtains above them, and the Wii Sports Tennis and Shooting Game kiosks were unplayable since they were "shrouded" in sunlight. Later the sun went behind a building, and everything was in working order again. So when you get your Wii, don't play it in the sunlight. Or keep the sensor bar and TV away from the windows.

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/...age.id=2065592

2. We know that the sensor bar goes all wonky when halogen lights are in the room. But did you know that natural sunlight messes it up too? That's right, if you have the sun beaming right onto the sensor bar, it doesn't work. For about an hour or so, the sun shone right into the store, the two MP3:C kiosks had to have curtains above them, and the Wii Sports Tennis and Shooting Game kiosks were unplayable since they were "shrouded" in sunlight. Later the sun went behind a building, and everything was in working order again. So when you get your Wii, don't play it in the sunlight. Or keep the sensor bar and TV away from the windows.

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/...age.id=2065592
    That sucks and I hope they can fix it, but it doesn't directly affect me since my TV's are never in the sun.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Hope you like scalper bay. Gamestop to only get 8 PS3 consoles a piece:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159525...ort=1#comments
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    I know I've made peace with the Wii being underpowered and I know lots of others posting in this thread probably have too...but have you?

I mean how many times can someone do comparison shots of the Wii and the GameCube...we know it's the weakest.

Again...what's the point in bringing it up again?

According to Japanese technology site ITmedia, the PlayStation 3 nearly matches the Wii in terms of consumer interest.

1 40%: Wii
    2 39%: PS3
    3 16%: Xbox 360
    4 3%: Other
    I find this info to be great in Nintendo's favor. I mean, for quite some time now, Nintendo has been the significant underdog with Sony well ahead of them. Now the interest in the two companies is nearly equal. Good for Nintendo, not so great for Sony.

Remember how PlayStation 3 games were supposed to cost a fortune in Japan? Like, $75 to $85 a pop? Well, you can clear that space in your brain, as Sony has announced first-party launch titles Resistance and Genji will be priced at ¥5980 (about $50 USD), as will future first-party title MotorStorm. Third-parties have already announced higher prices, like Sega's ¥7140 asking price for Sonic and Sega Golf Club.
    So, basically first party games are $50 and third party are $60, which is right in line with what they cost on Xbox 360. That's pretty much what I was expecting. I didn't think Sony would be stupid enough to charge way more for the games. They aren't selling them for any more or less than the competition.

1. You know the blue-lit disc drive? It wasn't blue or lit, it was as if the console was off. Though the power button had a little LED in the button itself, to show it was on. Apparently the light was on upon start-up, according to the employees, and they have no idea why it wasn't on later.
    Well, that is odd, but in all honesty, if the only major functional problem that the console unit, itself, is going to have is a light not lighting up when it should, but the system is otherwise working fine, then I'm really not going to sweat over it.

I mean, I'm sure I can figure out if my system is on or off without a light telling me so. It's not exactly a rocket science.

Sure, it's not ideal, but considering how much worse things could be, it's really not a big deal.

Well, Crap! This is no good. This completely and entirely wrecks my plans to buy the system, come home, open every window in the house, and set everything up in as direct of sunlight as possible and play all day long!

In all seriousness, yeah, this kind of stinks, but is there really much they can do to prevent the problem? And besides, it's really not THAT big of a deal. Just keep the blinds closed while playing the game, and use typcial lamps to light the room. That's simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep
    I know I've made peace with the Wii being underpowered and I know lots of others posting in this thread probably have too...but have you?

I mean how many times can someone do comparison shots of the Wii and the GameCube...we know it's the weakest.

Again...what's the point in bringing it up again?
    LOL! Yeah, I agree. Talk about beating a dead horse. What is it that Aerostratos hopes to prove? It's not like we are in denial over the level of graphics of the Wii.

But actually, looking at those comparison pics, while the differences are certainly far from being night and day, I still notice some differences (even if only minor ones) in the comparison shots, to the Wii's benefit.

Also, I remember seeing comparison pics between similar games on Xbox and Xbox 360 last year and how they didn't exactly look like night and day either. And from what I've heard, the graphics of PS3 aren't a whole lot better than Xbox 360.

The only real way to take full advantage of the graphics of Xbox 360 and PS3 is to have an HDTV. And for those who have one, more power to them. However, I don't currently have one, and it's just out of my price range for the time being. Those things are expensive, and not everyone can just afford to dump a bunch of cash into buying one.

So, really, the graphics thing is kind of a moot point for me right now anyway (which graphics have never been the biggest selling point for me to start with).
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 10, 2006 at 11:34am.

Howdy

The Wii not working in sun light? Not a problem I live in England

The blue light thing? Well as long as I can play games it don't really matter.

Lastly, I really don't get that comparison. WE KNOW THE WII ISN'T AS POWERFUL AS THE OTHER TWO. Drop it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

There's some interesting Wii info here...

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/09/16/164923.php

Most of it is redundant of stuff that we already know, but it does go into more detail about a few things. Apparently the Wii will allow you to use your Gamecube memory cards for your Gamecube games, so you won't have to start from scratch (which is one of my big complaints about the Xbox 360).
    And the classic controller will be available at launch according to this article.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    Here's something weird I noticed on EBGames.com. Some of the items/games for the Wii have release dates listed way before the release of the Wii itself. 11/01/06 for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 10/30/06 for Blitz: The League, 11/01/06 for Wii memory cards. And yet the Wii's release date is 11/19/06. Although I've read it may be unofficially released by the end of October by stores that recieve shipments before then. It seems some chains have no problem breaking street date weeks in advance.
    This is nothing new. When I ran Electronics last year at Target prior to the 360 launch, we were told to display the games/accessories as soon as they came in, so people wouldn't have to worry about purchasing them at the same time they tried to buy the consoles. This way, people can get those things early, and on launch day, just get the console. If you were unsuccessful in getting the console, you could always return the other stuff, or just keep it and continue trying to get a console.

Plus, at launch time, we were told that the stores who sold the most games/accessories got restocked on consoles much faster, so it makes sense to put the stuff out as soon as possible.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

EB was taking preorders for the PS3 today. But it's probably too late if your already reading this. Anyway I didn't bother cause EB has a way of taking your money and making you wait till March before they give you anything back. Or make you buy some outrageous bundle of stuff you never wanted.

And they'll likely close 10 seconds after. In what is sure to result in a pulsating mass of pushy gamers waving their hundred dollar bills in the air, PS3 pre-orders are opening at Gamestop and EB Games stores tomorrow. According to an e-mail sent to online customers, Tuesday, October 10 will be the supply and demand doomsday that has been anticipated and dreaded by countless gamers across the world -- Europe excluded, of course

"GameStop and EB Games will begin accepting limited pre-orders for the PlayStation 3 console on Tuesday, October 10, on a first come, first served basis. Due to extremely limited supply, we expect to deplete this allocation very quickly, most likely in minutes. We will not accept additional pre-orders at this time. To avoid an unnecessary trip we strongly recommend you call your local store to determine availability. A $100 reservation deposit is required, which can be funded with cash, credit or trade. As we cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, a reservation deposit does not guarantee receipt of a system available to purchase at launch. Reservations/Purchases are limited to 1 per household.

Our limited online pre-order program will be announced at a later date, after software and accessory availability dates are confirmed. Online product pricing and availability will vary and will be fulfilled independent of store reservations."

Good luck.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/09/ps...t-eb-gamestop/

Funny thing is I walked in to my Target today, to buy a Nintendo game no less :GASP: and they had a bunch of employees tearing the game section apart. And it had these huge PS3 signs took up two sections and this wii sign and displays. So I know where the units are going they just hadn't gotten em to put in there yet. The girl told me. I asked. And uhm Wal mart re did their whole Electronics section too. Even though the Wii won't be displayed there.

EB was taking preorders for the PS3 today. But it's probably too late if your already reading this. Anyway I didn't bother cause EB has a way of taking your money and making you wait till March before they give you anything back. Or make you buy some outrageous bundle of stuff you never wanted.
    Any word on them taking reservations for the Wii?
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 10, 2006 at 04:39pm.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Yeah, I wouldn't preorder my PS3 at EB or GameStop. I'd rather wait in the cold than hear them lie and say I'll get my system on launch date...because it won't happen. Since they'll only get 8 per store (or so I've heard), may be they have learned their lessons, but I doubt it.

Any word on them taking reservations for the Wii?
    YOu mean something legit and not that shady deal they pulled on our Hawaii brethren. No not yet.

But with the new numbers coming out as of lately you shouldn't really have any problem finding one this season.

Just called my local Gamestop to see if they got in the new MK and to check on reservations for Wii. So far they aren't taking reservations for it, and even though I didn't ask, they followed it up by saying they are already sold out of PS3 reservations.

That kind of stinks for anyone wanting a PS3.

I mean, despite the problems and the fact that I didn't get it right at launch, it was nice last year having an Xbox 360 reservation in place so that I could get the system as soon as they got it in stock (having of course fullfilled any preorders places before mine).

Granted, this doesn't effect me much personally in this case since I wasn't planning on getting PS3 at launch anyway, but still, it seems nuts that the preorders are gone in minutes like that. This could be the start of a really bad new trend.

I mean, it's bad enough that people who didn't preorder often have to camp out to get the system. But now this could potentially lead to a situation where people have to start camping out just to place a preorder.

It just seems nuts to me. I just hope reserving a Wii won't be as difficult as this. I hope you are right about the numbers, Aerostratos. Perhaps Nintendo being the underdog will work out in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep
    Yeah, I wouldn't preorder my PS3 at EB or GameStop. I'd rather wait in the cold than hear them lie and say I'll get my system on launch date...because it won't happen. Since they'll only get 8 per store (or so I've heard), may be they have learned their lessons, but I doubt it.
    Well, I know the whole Xbox 360 thing got all messed up last year. I think that's why they are waiting so long to even take reservations this year, until they pretty much know for sure how many they are getting in stock.

Despite the issues, I certainly don't blame the people at my local store where I reserve most of my stuff. I am there regularly and have a good trust with many of the employees there. And they were pretty honest with me about the whole thing... even to the point of telling me that they just weren't sure about something because they hadn't gotten word, etc.

Still, for those who want PS3, it would be nice if they would allow people beyond the initial 8 to make a reservation, and just tell them that they don't know when they will get more in stock, but when they do, each unit will go to the next person who has a reservation.

Speaking of which... I wonder how these reservations are working in terms of the $500 and $600 systems. I mean, are they getting in 4 of each or what? Do these people making the reservations know for sure which they are getting?
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 10, 2006 at 04:49pm.

Just called my local Gamestop to see if they got in the new MK and to check on reservations for Wii. So far they aren't taking reservations for it, and even though I didn't ask, they followed it up by saying they are already sold out of PS3 reservations.

That kind of stinks for anyone wanting a PS3.

I mean, despite the problems and the fact that I didn't get it right at launch, it was nice last year having an Xbox 360 reservation in place so that I could get the system as soon as they got it in stock (having of course fullfilled any preorders places before mine).

Granted, this doesn't effect me much personally in this case since I wasn't planning on getting PS3 at launch anyway, but still, it seems nuts that the preorders are gone in minutes like that. This could be the start of a really bad new trend.

I mean, it's bad enough that people who didn't preorder often have to camp out to get the system. But now this could potentially lead to a situation where people have to start camping out just to place a preorder.

It just seems nuts to me. I just hope reserving a Wii won't be as difficult as this. I hope you are right about the numbers, Aerostratos. Perhaps Nintendo being the underdog will work out in my favor.

It already happened! People started lining up at 6 AM!

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/10/ps...coast-edition/

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/10/ps...coast-edition/

It already happened! People started lining up at 6 AM!
    Oh geez. This is utterly ridiculous. I mean, on the highest level of ridiculousness that there can even possibly be.

Oh geez. This is utterly ridiculous. I mean, on the highest level of ridiculousness that there can even possibly be.
    I agree. Good things come to those who wait.