Page 103 of 350 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 8732

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    EDIT: Second edit...looks like the price drop for PS3 is official. http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ricecutcw8.jpg Now, my question is, is it enough because I'm 99.9% sure Microsoft will follow with their own price drop. Will YOU buy a PS3 for $499?? Does it make a difference? We already had a PS3 that was $499...but does the extras help?
    With the premium 360 still $100 cheaper than the price-dropped PS3, combined with all the $$$ MS is losing on the 360 due to repairs and such, they won't be dropping the price anytime soon, unless PS3s begin FLYING off the shelf.......
    This space for rent, apparently.....

GR81 says:

Even the 360 elite is having problems too, the SAME problems????
    This is crazy....you would think Microsoft would of fixed this by now.
    GR81 says : You're role... read what GR81 writes!!!

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    With the premium 360 still $100 cheaper than the price-dropped PS3, combined with all the $$$ MS is losing on the 360 due to repairs and such, they won't be dropping the price anytime soon, unless PS3s begin FLYING off the shelf.......
    That's probably true.

It's going to be interesting to see how PS3 does now. Once the price drop hits, it will be only $20 more than the Elite 360. And, there's a deal starting soon that if you buy any Blu-Ray player (including the PS3), you get 5 free Blu-Ray movies by mail.

Even for people who mainly want the system for games and have little interest in Hi-Def movies, getting something like that for free could still be the thing that tips them in favor of PS3 (even if they don't want the movies, they could always trade them in at someplace like Gamestop and put it towards the purchase of a game).

I'd never thought I'd be saying anything this positive about the future of PS3, but while my feels towards Sony are still rather negative, Microsoft has really been screwing things up lately big time.

It will be interesting to see where these two systems land when all is said and done.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how PS3 does now. Once the price drop hits, it will be only $20 more than the Elite 360. And, there's a deal starting soon that if you buy any Blu-Ray player (including the PS3), you get 5 free Blu-Ray movies by mail.
    Yeah but they are crappy movies , I agree though you could resell them on ebay or trade them into gamestop and get nice credit. I remember back when DVD was just hitting and you got free movies like Lost in Space, so these movies are by far better.

I'd never thought I'd be saying anything this positive about the future of PS3, but while my feels towards Sony are still rather negative, Microsoft has really been screwing things up lately big time.

It will be interesting to see where these two systems land when all is said and done.
    Yeah MS will basically lose their 1 year lead to the Wii in a matter of months (rumors are when June sales figures come out that the Wii will be about 2-4 million behind with 8.5-9 million compared to the 360's 11-12.) And with Japan being a sinkhole for Microsoft the Wii will make up ground in that region alone regardless of what good games come out for the 360.

The PS3's greatest problem is neither price nor competitors, its the PS2. Continualy the PS2 is outselling the PS3 (some can argue thats because of price) but I have noticed that for almost developers are still cashing in on the PS2 because they can port it over to the Wii, so essentially you make 2 games (regardless if they are good) for the price of one. Until the PS2 is done the PS3 will always be in its shadow. Like I said before Sony screwed up big time not having GOW2 and Final Fantasy release with either enhanced PS3 editions or solely on the PS3 (like the Wii did just making GC games like SPM Wii only). Nobody was going to flock to a $600-800 system when the $89-129 system was still getting AAA games.

Ultimately I think the PS3 will catch up and take the lead but when all is said and done it will be nowhere near as dominant as the PSX or the PS2, the Wii wont slow down and the 360 is now getting better versions of game after game that the PS3 was supposed to have

This week alone we have had a few PS3 cancellations (just this week Beautiful Katamari was cancelled on the PS3 in favor of the 360 and a rumor'd Wii version) and now delays on games like Medal of Honor (the 360 and PC versions land shortly and the PS3 was delayed till almost christmas), not to mention EA and 2k are shanking their sports games on the PS3 by only making them run at 30fps while the 360 versions curiously run at 60fps.

Sony has 1 shot at christmas to kick MS in the balls, otherwise more and more games will go to the 360 with extra content (GTA IV is already showing that) making the choice between the 2 platforms even that much more lopsided.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._(UPDATED)/746

Okay, the above article is interesting. It reported about the PS3 price drop, but then was just recently updated, mentioning that Sony President Ryoji Chubach said that there are no plans to drop the price any time soon.

So now the question is what is the truth?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I think the price drop talk came from seeing this image:

http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ricecutcw8.jpg

It could be a permanent price drop, or it could just be Circuit City's having a sale on the system starting 7/15, but you NEVER see consoles on sale for that much off, if ever. And Sony denying a permanent price drop, well, you can never believe anything that company says until it happens......

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    I think the price drop talk came from seeing this image:

http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ricecutcw8.jpg

It could be a permanent price drop, or it could just be Circuit City's having a sale on the system starting 7/15, but you NEVER see consoles on sale for that much off, if ever. And Sony denying a permanent price drop, well, you can never believe anything that company says until it happens......
    You are correct, consoles never go on sale $100, it is usually $25 or 50 or they offer gift cards (best buy and target do anyway). There are several reputable deal websites that in fact state this is not a Circuit City only special, that this is a real price drop.

This would be the 1st price drop in America but Japan has seen 2 (if not 3 by now), you can get a PS3 in Japan for $399 (the 60gb one) and they are now doing a pack in with Hot Shots Golf in order to increase sales (I think the pack in is $499).

From what I have read this price drop is supposed to be an E3 announcement since the sale price is exactly one week after E3. Sony has proably the worst PR dept in the world as I stopped counting when they contridict each other (Nintendo comes in a close second with the contradictions) so the price drop is most likely true and they are just towing the company line.

Sega and Ubisoft have both given interviews in the last 14 days that have said PS3 will drop price, Sega's was just late last week and they said it was soon (or at least needed to be).

Kotaku has also verified the story

Then GameDaily confirmed with "a merchandising manager at one of the world's biggest retailers" that the price drop was true.

Today we've received word from moles at both Best Buy and Target that they too have word of a price drop. Our Target mole reports that the retail chain's inventory tracking program is listing retail for the 60GB PS3 at $499.99. And a mole at Best Buy tells us they just received their upcoming ads and that they all list the PS3 price at $499.99 as well.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    They always deny the price drop right before the announcement. I'm thinking that was suppose to be part of their conference...hopefully, they have more than that to announce.

I still don't think the $499 price will do much.

N'Gai from NewsWeek says that $199 is the sweet spot for consoles. The Wii can easily get to that point and the core 360 isn't that far off either. But the PS3 is still very far from that target price and until they can get to at least $299, I don't think the price will make much of a difference. They will have to rely on games to sell the console, not the price.

I think this is the best analysis of E3 07 thus far:

http://www.gametrailers.com/bonusround_list.php

Oh and for those Virtua Figher 5 fans...the 360 version is going online while the PS3 will stay offline...at least for now. Just another blow for the PS3 fans. GTA episodic exclusivity...now 360 online only for VF5. Ouch.

Newest RE Umbrella Chronicles Trailer

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/827/827187/vids_1.html

They did a lot of work since the last time we saw it, I was going to get it already and with this weeks announcement of 2 player co-op in the game and selectable characters changing how the game is played (where you start, the story, etc) it just makes me anticipate it more

Seems like Capcom is treating this as more than a side project, in the trailer are some environments that have obviously been redone since games like RE3 never made it to the Gamecube/PS2 in redone form.

I love how UC is using locations from the RE Outbreak series. I can't wait to see what else they have in there! It'd be great if you go past the Raccoon Zoo at some point.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by galmorzu View Post
    I love how UC is using locations from the RE Outbreak series. I can't wait to see what else they have in there! It'd be great if you go past the Raccoon Zoo at some point.
    Yeah, especially since they could easily fit it in to the RE3 portion of the story.

First details on Lego Star Wars Wii Edition
    http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/lego-star.../802001p1.html

Good news is they kept regular controls, but you can opt to use the wii specific ones at any time

If you waggle the Wii Remote, a character armed with a lightsaber will swing it with the same abandon you swing. If you jump or double jump first, you'll perform a slam or super slam attack. In addition, if you swing when a bolt is incoming, you'll be able to swat away blaster fire (rather than just having to hold your lightsaber still). Swinging the lightsaber with the Wii Remote is a bit faster than just pressing the trigger, and the effects you generate more powerful, but the real payoff is simply swinging your "lightsaber" in real life.
    Kotaku also reporting that the US will get the 80gb PS3 for $599

So the price cut is more to make room for the new unit (ala the 360 Elite) then it is a call to why the PS3 is not moving.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I just read about the PS3 dropping prices, but you guys are already on top of it... speaking about the 360 and the hardware failure, the first one I had died after 3 months. Now granted, I was traveling for work 2 months of that so I only put in 1 month of playtime on it. At the time Microsoft only had a 3 month warranty. Luckily I got the insurance via Gamestop. Later they upped the warranty to 1 year, now apparantly 3 years. I'm pleased, but yeah...I've had the 3 red lights of death before, but over all I still love my xbox. The achievements are so addicting.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

VC update - pretty "meh" week......

WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLASSIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

July 9, 2007

Think you've got what it takes to be a hero? Prove it with these three heroic games, available this week on the Wii Shop Channel. Whether you're rescuing Mario's dinosaur pal from an eggshell or battling to protect the planet from evil invaders, the future is in your hands.

Three new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Mach Rider® (NES®, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): It's the year 2112. Earth has been invaded by the forces of evil. Battle the invaders as you race from sector to sector on your motorcycle, searching for survivors. Feel the incredible sense of speed as you zip past evil Quadrunners and zigzag between treacherous rocks, oil spills and other obstacles on the course. For a different challenge, create your own course in Design Mode, using the various twists, turns and straightaways the game has to offer. Remember, you are Earth's only hope—you are Mach Rider.

Yoshi® (NES, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Yoshi is an action/puzzle game starring Mario's dinosaur buddy, Yoshi™, who has been imprisoned in an egg. Now it's raining Goombas, Bloopers and Boo Buddies, and you have to help Mario™ stop the airborne invasion. As the critters fall, catch them on trays. Stack two of a kind and they both disappear, or capture the whole bunch in between eggshells. When the eggshells match, out hatches Yoshi and up goes your score. The action heats up as the characters fall faster and faster. To save the day, switch and shuffle, and don't let your piles get too high.

Air "Zonk" (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Cartoon Violence, 600 Wii Points): Air "Zonk" is a spin-off of the popular Bonk's Adventure series. This side-scrolling shooter retains the same cartoonish style of Bonk but is set in a cyberpunk future. The powered-up "Zonk" gathers his friends to form Team Cool, and they set out to stop King Drool's plan to conquer the world. Choose from three levels of difficulty and three Friend Modes. Shoot King Drool's cyber-robots and avoid their attacks while collecting the Air Bones to unleash a variety of unique attacks. Combine with a friend to create an invincible hybrid form or blast enemies with a charged attack. Air "Zonk" is filled with humor, made evident by the wacky theme song that plays when you post a huge score or when your game is over.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

GR81 says:

TF the game rules....playing Optimus Prime is sooooooo Cooll...

I am at mission 3 with bumblebee markatisu

And yes, i do see the bonus stuff now...no G1 charactors yet

Quote Originally Posted by GR81 View Post
    I am at mission 3 with bumblebee markatisu
    Then we are at the same place , I had to go back to the previous 2 missions to find all those darn energon cubes.

I almost like playing the game more to hear the musical score since the cd that is currently out only has the lyrical songs and we have to wait for the 2nd soundtrack to hear the actual score and theme that plays throughout the movie and the game.
    speaking about the 360 and the hardware failure, the first one I had died after 3 months. Now granted, I was traveling for work 2 months of that so I only put in 1 month of playtime on it. At the time Microsoft only had a 3 month warranty. Luckily I got the insurance via Gamestop. Later they upped the warranty to 1 year, now apparantly 3 years. I'm pleased, but yeah...I've had the 3 red lights of death before, but over all I still love my xbox. The achievements are so addicting
    I told my wife, I am glad MS is giving the 3 year warranty but I am waiting till they either get working units out into production or change the motherboard. There are reports that newer units have a corrected board that keeps it from failing. I just dont want the headache of hooking it up to my HTS only to have it crap out and me have to bother with calling it in, its the hassle that I dont want to deal with....not for $300-500.

It is tempting though because it is getting some killer games, GTA IV with downloadable episode content (only the 360 version mind you), Assassins Creed, Too Human. I am not a fan of games like Gears of War or Call of Duty (I will play them but I am more an action adventure fan) so I am hoping we see some good action games revealed at E3 this week.

On the PS3 side only Lair is attracting my attention, most of the other games that me looking at the 2 systems are getting more content for the 360. Sony claims to be releasing a buttload of games within 12 months so hopefully we see more of those at E3 rather than just trusting their word (which has been very suspect in the last 12 months).

And yes, i do see the bonus stuff now...no G1 charactors yet
    The G1 characters come when you collect all 20 of each Symbols, there are 5in each mission. Once you get all the Autobot ones you can use Optimus G1 model (not repaint but actual short fat truck model) and when you play the Decepticons and get all 20 you get access to the Megatron G1 model (though he cant turn into a gun, he flies like superman lol).

There are free codes to activate Robovision Prime (a G1 repaint on the movie Prime), G1 Jazz repaint (I can pm you those if you want). The last bonus is a repaint G1 Starscream but nobody has figured out how to get it or at least has not posted.

So far I have only gotten the Robovision Prime and he does look neat, but I prefer the movie version better..I was surprised.

I dont know about you GR81 but I have mastered the camera, I cant believe the amount of people who complain. I think I played it for 2 days before switching from low to high sensitivity and now the camera is almost never an issue, especially once you master the different melee attacks with the nunchuck (I read a lot of people are using the wiimote for melee attacks, but thats the camera also so no wonder they have problems!!)

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    It is tempting though because it is getting some killer games, GTA IV with downloadable episode content (only the 360 version mind you), Assassins Creed, Too Human. I am not a fan of games like Gears of War or Call of Duty (I will play them but I am more an action adventure fan) so I am hoping we see some good action games revealed at E3 this week.
    Come to think of it, I played the heck out of some Call of Duty 3 this weekend. I pretty much unlocked all of the regular game achievements, and I harassed a friend of mine now for a week who just got a xbox to get Gears of War.

The good thing though about the xbox is if you do have a hardware failure, you can atleast take off your hard drive and keep it so you won't lose anything. The crap part is Microsoft should have released the 120 gig version right off. Not sure if you all know this or not, but the ~9 gigs of the 20 gig hard drive is taken up right off the bat with the OS and whatever else you can't delete off. Game demos and movies average about 1 gig a pop. I'm a big fan of the xbox live marketplace, so I am constantly deleting stuff like movie trailers, movies, game demos, stuff like that. Luckily I keep all my music on my PC and use Windows Media Connect and stream it while I play.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

OK, I think it's enough. This is my 7th or 8th DS Lite (I've lost count). And it's FLAWED. What the hell is wrong with these people? I no longer mind the slight yellow tint on the touch screen, I just want the screens to show things WITHOUT the GHOST EFFECT they are showing! Anything that moves on the screen leaves like a ghost behind, it's like some refresh rate problem. If anyone is interested, I can show you video of it, it's really annoying. Thank god I didn't sell my original DS...

OK, I think it's enough. This is my 7th or 8th DS Lite (I've lost count). And it's FLAWED. What the hell is wrong with these people? I no longer mind the slight yellow tint on the touch screen, I just want the screens to show things WITHOUT the GHOST EFFECT they are showing! Anything that moves on the screen leaves like a ghost behind, it's like some refresh rate problem. If anyone is interested, I can show you video of it, it's really annoying. Thank god I didn't sell my original DS...
    I wonder if its the region you are in, we just picked up a Pink DS Lite 2 weeks ago and my wife plays it everyday for a few hours and has no problems (not the cracked hinge or anything else).

Makes me think that maybe the manufacturing in different regions might be bad or something. With as many as are sold you would think if there was a system wide problem it would receive a lot of attention, especially in light of the 360's issues and the PS2's laser reading issues of the past.

That video sounds interesting though

My DS was imported from the USA (Nintendo is no longer in Argentina). One of them was bought at a walmart and sent to me by someone from these boards. I really hate this, because I keep buying one, and having it for less than a couple of days (because I end up selling it) and using that money againto buy another. I've tried different colors, checked the serial numbers, just about everything you could imagine. To check if you have this problem, try games like New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 64, and make Mario run and jump, you'll see he leaves a ghost behind (more evident with his hat). I know this isn't normal, because my original DS doesn't do it and my first DS Lite (which I sold because of a cracked hinge) didn't do it either.
    If you want to see the video, let me know, I could e-mail it to you.
    Last edited by Epicasino; July 9, 2007 at 12:51pm.

GR81 says:

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu;
    The G1 characters come when you collect all 20 of each Symbols, there are 5in each mission.
    Symbols???
    Is that the sub-mission where you run around collecting the 20 cubes under a certain time.

Sony's official announcement of the PS3 price drop & 80GB HDD model:

http://games.ign.com/articles/802/802334p1.html

To check if you have this problem, try games like New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 64, and make Mario run and jump, you'll see he leaves a ghost behind (more evident with his hat). I know this isn't normal, because my original DS doesn't do it and my first DS Lite (which I sold because of a cracked hinge) didn't do it either.
    I will have to check that on ours, we got New Super Mario Bros with our DS (the original one) but have only been plaing Pokemon on the DS Lite.

Symbols???
    Is that the sub-mission where you run around collecting the 20 cubes under a certain time.
    No the symbols are autobot and decepticon shaped and float off the ground like the energon cubes and sometimes are hard to see because they are on top of buildings or near shadow'd areas.

I can pm you a list of where they are located, I can usually find 3 out of the 5 in each mission but there are always 2 that I either just miss or plain cant find.

I still dont know what the submissions purpose is lol

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Just waiting for the 360 to drop in price so I can buy Blue Dragon next month! Microsoft, don't let me down!!!

GR81 says:

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu
    I still dont know what the submissions purpose is lol
    I guess its to unlock some bonus stuff
    Do you need to get 5 out of 5 to unlock a G1 ?

Do you need to get 5 out of 5 to unlock a G1 ?
    You have to unlock 5 out of 5 in every mission (there are 4 missions for each side Autobot and Decepticon) which totals 20 when the game is done.

Once you unlock 20 Autobot symbols you get G1 Prime model to use and 20 Decepticon symbols gets you G1 Megatron.