Page 191 of 351 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241291 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,775 of 8757

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

  1. #4751
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,612
    What JRPG's are coming to the PS3? In Japan more then 3/4 have come out on the 360 and America is more like a 90/10 split.

    The PS2 audience has all but refused the PS3 so it will be interesting to see if JRPG move permanently to handhelds and Wii since they have the userbase and low development cost that RPG's require since they are niche

    Outside of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest you will not find a 200-300k seller in any region

    I am in a worse boat since I like SRPG and ironically the Wii actually has that with Fire Emblem, its just all the other RPG variants its missing
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  2. #4752
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    White Knight is a RPG. I'm pretty sure Square has other games coming out after the whole FFXIII hoopla.

  3. #4753
    B-2 Crew Chief heman4myson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Whiteman AFB, MO
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The PS2 audience has all but refused the PS3
    Did you know 93% of things you say are made up? Seriously why do you try and make your thoughts facts? EVERYBODY I know has a PS3 and they love it.

    The same thing can not be said for the Wii (virus) Mine hasen't been turned on in months.

  4. #4754
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by heman4myson View Post
    Did you know 93% of things you say are made up? Seriously why do you try and make your thoughts facts? EVERYBODY I know has a PS3 and they love it.

    The same thing can not be said for the Wii (virus) Mine hasen't been turned on in months.
    How did you come up with that percentage??

    I know only ONE person who has a PS3. Just because your friends have PS3s doesn't mean everyone else does and loves it. They probably love it more for the Blu-Ray player than the actual gaming features.

    If so many people have PS3s...I wish they would play GTA IV online because I can't find a single person to play with...

    And as much as I complain about the Wii, it's the only console that I know everyone both talks about and plays with. 85% of the games on the console are shovelware, but if 20+ million users enjoy the 15%, more power to them.

    By the way, I just made up those percents.

  5. #4755
    Master of My Domain PJMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland/Chicago
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by heman4myson View Post
    Did you know 93% of things you say are made up? Seriously why do you try and make your thoughts facts? EVERYBODY I know has a PS3 and they love it.

    The same thing can not be said for the Wii (virus) Mine hasen't been turned on in months.
    Permission to flame requested...

    97.829% of .orgers think you are completely out of line for taking shots markatisu. You must not know very many people if everyone you know has a PS3. I can only name a handful of people I know that have it.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

  6. #4756
    Heroic Warrior IronAvatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    518
    I dunno guys...there IS a lot of anecdotal "evidence" being thrown around right now. Can we maybe have a gentlemans agreement not to throw around figures around unless we quote a reliable/third party source?

    That's assuming that ANY of you are gentlemen
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

  7. #4757
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,346
    Let's try and reel it in here, folks.......

    This space for rent, apparently.....

  8. #4758
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Kind of feels like a REAL console wars thread now, eh?

  9. #4759
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,346
    Ok, and to get back on topic, those of you who've been holding off on a 360 purchase, should probably wait until next year, if the following story is true.....

    http://gear.ign.com/articles/873/873695p1.html
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  10. #4760
    Master of My Domain PJMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland/Chicago
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Ok, and to get back on topic, those of you who've been holding off on a 360 purchase, should probably wait until next year, if the following story is true.....

    http://gear.ign.com/articles/873/873695p1.html
    A slimmed down version of the 360? Seeing as how they can't get the normal sized version working properly, a slimmed down version doesn't seem like the route to go.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

  11. #4761
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Unless it includes a blu-ray player and wi-fi out of the box, there is no point in slimming it down especially with the heating issues. Yeah, I know the issues are slowly decreasing, but it's still happening and that doesn't bode well for an even smaller 360 version.

  12. #4762
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,612
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    White Knight is a RPG. I'm pretty sure Square has other games coming out after the whole FFXIII hoopla.
    Has Square said anything about this or Last Remnant for the 360?? I know they like to focus on one game at a time but it seems like ages since we heard any new info or screenshots

    and I an also ignoring a certain comments as I do have sales figures (NPD in the US, Chart Track in the EU, Media Create and Famitsu in JP) that prove the PS2 audience had not moved to the PS3, as well as most other things I post sakrs wise...got charts too but nobody wants too see those
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  13. #4763
    B-2 Crew Chief heman4myson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Whiteman AFB, MO
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    They probably love it more for the Blu-Ray player than the actual gaming features.
    Nope they use it for gaming sorry, only one of them uses it for movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    By the way, I just made up those percents.
    And I made mine up too Since people want to pretend that they talk for every PS2 owner, I can pretend to make up averages

    Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    Permission to flame requested...

    97.829% of .orgers think you are completely out of line for taking shots markatisu. You must not know very many people if everyone you know has a PS3. I can only name a handful of people I know that have it.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Wow YOU must not know very many people. There are 110 (give or take a few) in my unit that have them, when ever AAFES gets them in they sell out. Maybe all your friends are just poor

    Most of us have all three systems though, and we all play a majority of our time on the PS3. The Wii only gets used for company and only if the group is big. I turned on my Wii on a few hours ago because my hand has stiches and I can't play Zelda II since I can't really move my thumb.

    Blu-Ray has already won and the PS3 will too.
    Last edited by heman4myson; May 13, 2008 at 11:17pm.

  14. #4764
    Master of My Domain PJMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland/Chicago
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by heman4myson View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Wow YOU must not know very many people. There are 110 (give or take a few) in my unit that have them, when ever AAFES gets them in they sell out. Maybe all your friends are just poor
    Markatisu, would you be so kind as to post the sales figures just to show this man how abysmal the PS3 sales actually are in the US. It may be #2 worldwide, but here in the US, except for a few months where it did beat the 360, you can't even give a PS3 away. I have yet to see an empty shelf where the PS3's usually to sit, while I always see empty shelves where the Wii and occasionally the 360 usually sit. That's not to say I don't plan on getting a PS3, but I don't speak for the rest of the country, and neither do you.

    Good luck with the hand though, and that is NOT sarcasm. I'm a guitar player and I know from personal experience that a hand injury can be killer.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

  15. #4765
    B-2 Crew Chief heman4myson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Whiteman AFB, MO
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    Good luck with the hand though, and that is NOT sarcasm.

    Thanks, being a mechanic it really sucks trying not to hurt it.

    The USA doesn't mean everything though. Sales across the world are increasing. To tell the truth with gas prices the way they are I am suprised anybody can get anything.
    Last edited by heman4myson; May 14, 2008 at 10:32am.

  16. #4766
    Heroic Warrior IronAvatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by heman4myson View Post
    The USA doesn't mean everything though. Sales across the world are increasing. To tell the truth with gas prices the way they are I am suprised anybody can get anything.
    Right now, the U.S. is still the largest single market for video games, which still makes it a primary concern. The European market is supposedly larger now, but it's lots of little territories rolled into one. And because of this, it's possibly the hardest market to break.

    Like it or not, much of the world still looks to the U.S. market for a comparison as to how the others will most likely perform. I mean, just look at Sony's decision to delay the European PS3 release to favour the American market! Part of me is laughing my little backside off at Sony because they pretty much failed in their aim to lessen the damage of a later launch than the 360, and the other part is dissapointed they haven't made much headway.

    But you know, you're right about the global market thing. The last figures I saw (sorry guys...I don't have them at hand right now) put the PS3 at around 5 millions units less in sales than the 360, compared to around 8 million around the Christmas period.

    A 3 million unit gain in five months is pretty good, going against a console that has been out longer and has a good games library quality and quantity wise (even though they're games that don't appeal to me). And I think the PS3 will increase its gains this year, mostly partly because of price drops but also because of changing practices in the industry itself.

    Most developers in Europe atleast, are already treating the PS3 as their main development platform and using some clever methods that let the PS3 code run on the 360 without any real porting work.

    Does anybody want more details on this? I ask because it's something I've been doing recently, and I'm surprised at how well it works, esepcially if all you have right now is a retail PS3 running Linux to test some areas of your game code

    And because of this, the quality of ports on PS3 will improve so that people don't perceive the PS3 as the poor relative in multi-platform releases. That alone should encourage more sales this year in the PS3's leading markets and perhaps have a knock-on trend in the U.S.


    Update on Global PS3 Sales

    An update on global PS3 sales which have reached 12.9 million units sold. Not bad.

    The microsoft figures on this are interesting, in that last month they claimed 19 million units sold but are yet to say anything about the sales for the the fiscal year.

    Does anybody think that the 19mil figure includes replacements RRoD? Because if they do, then that puts global sales since November 2005 at 15million (assuming a 30% failure rate).


    On a related note, Aaron Greenberg of Microsoft had a big whinge at Sony recently about having to compete with Sony hype instead of what Sony have actually produced. The way I see it Mr. Greenberg, if you can't compete with apparent hype, then it's Microsoft that's at fault, not Sony.
    Last edited by IronAvatar; May 14, 2008 at 08:59am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

  17. #4767
    All you need is Spidey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    723
    I've owned most gaming consoles since the original nintendo, the genesis, the playstation, and I always favored nintendo up to the 64, because the gamecube just didn't get it... when the ps2 came out I didn't 'abandon' nintendo but prefered Sony due to the fact that games had a bigger selection, and so my ps2 collection grew... when the wii came out, I stood in line simply because of the innovation on the controller scheme.. and I thought nintendo had done a very good job... I however did not stand in line for a PS3, first of all it was way overpriced, and it was missing games... and this is coming from a very well established PS2 user...

    most of the people I know don't own a PS3.. only 2 of my close group of friends have one, (my close group of friends include about 35 people if that helps to get clear figures) and the rest do own psp's, and ps2's so it is not a hatred to sony, the fact that they don't have a ps3, is just the fact that there are not enough games to guarantee a transition for them.

    I am now a ps3 owner, but the only reason why I bought one if because gta4 came out, and because metal gear solid 4 is coming up, and eventually resident evil 5 will follow... that is the only reason why I shelled out the cash for the ps3.

    So IMHO if the quality of games continue to follow, then Sony will be able to gain ground again, and unless the game library grows, people will still see the ps3 as an overpriced console with not much to offer in return.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Wow YOU must not know very many people. There are 110 (give or take a few) in my unit that have them, when ever AAFES gets them in they sell out. Maybe all your friends are just poor
    I'm going to assume you're in the military, and when you talk about people in your unit, I'm going to guess they're all from different towns/states...
    if so, I don't believe that to be an accurate way to measure how many ps3's really sell as far as individual cities go... if the people in my apartment complex all owned one then I would be with you, but out of 2 blocks of apartments I only know of 5 people who own a ps3, that's about 175 apartments per block, which means that out of 350 households, only 5 own a ps3, and you can argue the age group, but I live 3 blocks from campus, so most, if not all tenants here are college students, who rather play the wii, or a 360 over a PS3....

    how many people outside your unit do YOU know that own ps3s?

    I'm not bashing the ps3 as I own one myself, and I love playing rockband and gta4, as well as a fifa, but that's it! nothing else urges me to spend the money on it! is beautiful on my 52 inch lcd, specially blue ray movies, but the truth is tha the wii is what keeps me playing for most of my time.
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone... But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place... a town... a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards... On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is... After all these years, I still look back with wonder...

  18. #4768
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Has Square said anything about this or Last Remnant for the 360?? I know they like to focus on one game at a time but it seems like ages since we heard any new info or screenshots
    White Knight Chronicles is being developed by Level 5 and being published by Sony which means it's a PS3 exclusive. I don't remember any new info coming out on the since TGS, but Level 5 made the last DQ on the PS2 so I'm left to believe it will be at least as good as that game. From the videos I've seen, it looks REALLY good.

    Last Remnant is coming to the 360 and PS3 using the Unreal Engine...I believe it's the first Square game to use the engine. I think it's more of an action RPG...akin to Zelda. I could be wrong on that though.

    I think once Square has finalized the Crystal Tools (formerly known as the White Engine), they'll be able to push out more titles. They haven't really done much this generation, but I expect that to change once FFXIII comes out. And, I still think they will be a big supporter of the PS3 regardless of the sales. Sony is still the leader in Japan when it comes to HD consoles, so I'm sure most of their resources are focused on that system.

    Kingdom Hearts on PS3 or Wii will definitely make me a happy gamer.

  19. #4769
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,612
    The April NPD sales for the US come out tommorrow so I can post updated info then. But trust me the PS3 's only saving grace is the EU and the fact the 360 is dead in Japan. The PS3 has been molested in the US regardless how anyone wants to spin it and in JP it comes in as default #2 loosing to the Wii at a rate as high as 6 to 1 per week. Right now the PS3 is tracking behind the Gamecube in the US and JP, thanks in large part to Sony's ridiculous idea that the PS2 would just die.

    The PS3 won't win ever unless the Wii dies and moves to a new console, the best Sony can expect is a STRONG second thanks to the EU, and that is even suspect.

    If certain people want to talk sales age we can get real, if you want spin then at least make the spin somewhat real.

    Tomorrow will show that regardless of almost 4 million in US sales the bump in hardware for the 360 and PS3 is extremely small, not what you want because it means only the "core" is buying
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  20. #4770
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    The one thing that keeps me from being overly confident about the PS3 is the fact that the market has yet to fully embrace the Blu-Ray format. I know it's still early and that the movie studios pledged support for it, but I've read numerous articles and listened to podcasts stating that sales of Blu-Ray players not including the PS3 have dropped rather than increased. Either Sony and its partners lower the cost of Blu-Ray players or it'll just be yet another failed format for Sony.

    I know that excluding PS3s takes away a huge percent of the Blu-Ray players, but I think in order for the format to actually be the successor to DVD, other hardware companies need to be able to sell their players as well.

    The growth rate of the 360 userbase has kind of been stagnant. I'm sure GTA IV will spike it, but I don't think Ninja Gaiden 2 is going to be a system seller like MGS4 will be.

    In the end, the only things I'm surprised by (sales-wise) is that the Wii has such a large margin from both the PS3 and 360. I mean, the userbase is twice the size of the PS3 base. It's crazy to think that Nintendo can sustain the growth rate, but I'm afraid to doubt the success of the Wii right now.

    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52692

  21. #4771
    kind of a big deal VaderLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lost in his own museum...
    Posts
    2,475
    I thought this was great.

    I stopped at wal mart yesterday to see if they got any more dark knight stuff (need to find the damn joker) and while i was scoping out the toys someone came over the loudspeaker and made an announcement that they just got a shipment of wiis in stock.

    By the time I made it from the action figure isle to the electronics department the wiis were GONE. And yet there were 6 PS3s sitting on the shelf visibly gathering dust.

    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

    "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

    Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

  22. #4772
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,612
    You are correct, Ninja Gaiden on the 360 and PS3 was nothing to write home about sales wise and the sequel will only sell to its core, thus not bringing any new console owners in any force as MGS4 will.

    Though watch to see if the MGS4 bump is sustained after June-July, if its not then that means the PS3 won't have brought many new people over from the PS2 and that is bad for them.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  23. #4773
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,346
    PS3 firmware version 2.35 is up and running............
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  24. #4774
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,612
    Any idea what it adds??
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  25. #4775
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Any idea what it adds??
    Just a stability update for some games...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •