Page 192 of 352 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 8786

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

  1. #4776
    Empress of Emails Adora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Whispering Woods, KY
    Posts
    2,481
    Can anyone help with this question? I've looked a bit in this thread, but I really don't have time to look through 194 pages to see if it's answered here.

    Just bought a 40G PS3 and a copy of Grand Turismo. Have the standard controller that came with the console and a second Logitech controller. One controller will work with the came, but if you try to do a 2 person battle the other controller will not do anything once the race starts. We feel like we've tried everything and are having no luck getting them both to work at the same time. What are we doing wrong?? Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Adora; May 15, 2008 at 09:42am.
    I love He-Man.org!!!

  2. #4777
    Heroic Warrior IronAvatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Adora View Post
    Can anyone help with this question? I've looked a bit in this thread, but I really don't have time to look through 194 pages to see if it's answered here.
    Good lord! This thread isn't about helping people, it's about us all shouting at each other and riduculing each persons choice of console and opinions. Help indeed!


    Just bought a 40G PS3 and a copy of Grand Turismo. Have the standard controller that came with the console and a second Logitech controller. One controller will work with the came, but if you try to do a 2 person battle the other controller will not do anything once the race starts. We feel like we've tried everything and are having no luck getting them both to work at the same time. What are we doing wrong?? Thanks for any advice.
    I think you have to set the type of controller used by the other player if it's a wheel controller. Have you tried looking in the options menu?

    I haven't used a wheel controller with GT Prologue as of yet, but try looking in controller options menu (also...it might be an idea to read the manual ). Let us know how you get on!
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

  3. #4778
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    there are a few things you can try

    if its USB controller, try plugging it in after the game starts
    check the options menu and see if its setup correctly

    Does the 2nd controller work on other games or in the P1 slot?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  4. #4779
    Empress of Emails Adora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Whispering Woods, KY
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    Good lord! This thread isn't about helping people, it's about us all shouting at each other and riduculing each persons choice of console and opinions. Help indeed!




    I think you have to set the type of controller used by the other player if it's a wheel controller. Have you tried looking in the options menu?

    I haven't used a wheel controller with GT Prologue as of yet, but try looking in controller options menu (also...it might be an idea to read the manual ). Let us know how you get on!
    We have tried the PS3 manual, online searches, the online manual of the game, etc etc. No luck. I guess we just aren't looking in the right place of these things.

    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    there are a few things you can try

    if its USB controller, try plugging it in after the game starts
    check the options menu and see if its setup correctly

    Does the 2nd controller work on other games or in the P1 slot?
    I'm at my wits end and so is my husband. I should probably get him in here to add to the discussion since he's the one setting it up, but it's not a wheel controller. It's a Logitech wireless controller (looks like a black xbox 360 controller.) It has a usb receiver that you plug in the console. It will work when you are selecting a car and such, but when the race begins, it's a no-go. The car just sits there. All the settings show up under the controller set up. It's a mystery to me. This is the only 1/2 player game we have. Actually, it's the only PS3 game we have at all.
    Thanks for the responses!
    I love He-Man.org!!!

  5. #4780
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    So to sum up if you plug the logitech one into slot 1 and the sixaxis (included) controller into slot 2 the 2nd player does not work? I know the sixaxis is wireless but try connecting it into the 2nd slot with the USB cable

    We have the wireless PS3 logitech controller with the fans and I know it sometimes has issues in Puzzle Fighter.

    Adora, is your PS3 on the net and signed into the Playstation Network? If it is I can share Puzzle Fighter with you and you can see if its the controller
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  6. #4781
    Empress of Emails Adora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Whispering Woods, KY
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    So to sum up if you plug the logitech one into slot 1 and the sixaxis (included) controller into slot 2 the 2nd player does not work? I know the sixaxis is wireless but try connecting it into the 2nd slot with the USB cable

    We have the wireless PS3 logitech controller with the fans and I know it sometimes has issues in Puzzle Fighter.

    Adora, is your PS3 on the net and signed into the Playstation Network? If it is I can share Puzzle Fighter with you and you can see if its the controller
    Thanks Mark! I'll get my hubby to check this out. We just got it yesterday, so we are still learning about it. The xbox360 and wii interfaces seemed much easier to set up and start playing.
    I love He-Man.org!!!

  7. #4782
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Adora View Post
    Thanks Mark! I'll get my hubby to check this out. We just got it yesterday, so we are still learning about it. The xbox360 and wii interfaces seemed much easier to set up and start playing.
    yeah quite a few of us have had controller issues with the PS3, its due to a variety of reasons involving bluetooth and USB mostly.

    Hopefully we can help you out because GT5P is a great game
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  8. #4783
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,361
    When the PSN store updates today, PSP owners can check out the new demo for Secret Agent Clank!

    http://psp.ign.com/articles/874/874251p1.html
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  9. #4784
    Empress of Emails Adora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Whispering Woods, KY
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    yeah quite a few of us have had controller issues with the PS3, its due to a variety of reasons involving bluetooth and USB mostly.

    Hopefully we can help you out because GT5P is a great game
    Still no luck. Went to the Logitech forums and found someone else with the same problem. Left a reply in hopes one of their specialists will answer. One of the people said that the PS3 thinks it's a wheel and that's why it won't work. I'm ready to chuck in in the garbage myself. Taking it back to the store would be wiser though.
    I love He-Man.org!!!

  10. #4785
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Adora View Post
    Still no luck. Went to the Logitech forums and found someone else with the same problem. Left a reply in hopes one of their specialists will answer. One of the people said that the PS3 thinks it's a wheel and that's why it won't work. I'm ready to chuck in in the garbage myself. Taking it back to the store would be wiser though.
    Thats weird, if you can take the controller back I would and get one of the Sony made ones (The Sixaxis or the Dual Shock 3)

    Its $10-15 more than the Logitechs but since its bluetooth enabled out of the box it will work a lot better

    Now onto the sales, and if you dislike Nintendo or think the Wii is a fad then please skip this post


    April US NPD Hardware Sales

    1. Wii : 714.2K (Wii is now about 500-650k behind the US 360 Total sales)
    2. Nintendo DS : 414.8K
    3. PSP : 192.7K
    4. Xbox 360 : 188.0K
    5. PlayStation 3 : 187.1K
    6. PlayStation 2 : 124.4K

    April US NPD Game Sales (GTA IV barely defeats Mario Kart Wii)

    1. 360 GTA IV 1.85m (Includes Special Editions)
    2. Wii Mario Kart w/ wheel 1.12m
    3. PS3 GTA IV 1.00m (Includes Special Editions)
    4. Wii Play 360K
    5. Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl 326K (Surpassed 3 million in US)
    6. PS3 Gran Turismo 5: Prologue 224K (Does not include PSN download purchases)
    7. DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness 202K
    8. DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time 202K
    9. Wii Guitar Hero III 152K (Surpassed 2 million in US)
    10. 360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 141K

    Points of interest
    • Despite GTAIV Massive $$$$ Launch, console sales for HD down over last 2 months, Blu-Ray winning have 0% effect on PS3
    • Mario Kart Wii almost defeated the 360 GTAIV
    • PSP games disappear from Top 10 again
    • Wii sales for April set new high, Wii Fit for May should increase to almost 1 million which has never happened before
    • Wii selling at a rate of 3.7-4 to 1 vs the PS3 and 360
    • The Wii will surpass the 360 in the US next month (and therefore be the universal #1 as it leads in every other country) if it can sell similar to the last two months, otherwise it will happen in June
    • Regardless of "console wars", the video game industry is booming with $1.23 billion in sales, another record month


    Also as a side note in case anyone cares, the Wii Balance Board in JP is about 50,000 away from surpassing the entire PS3 userbase in JP. So next week there will be more Wii Balance Board owners then PS3 owners, Media Create declared 1 in 3 users is buying the add-on. The trend is being followed in the EU, we will have to see how it hits when its released on Sunday/Monday in the US.

    For frame of reference for those who don't know what they are talking about, here are the US Lifetime Hardware Sales (aka install bases)

    360 - 10 million
    Wii - 9.5 million
    PS3 - 4.2 million
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  11. #4786
    Master of My Domain PJMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland/Chicago
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

    360 - 10 million
    Wii - 9.5 million
    PS3 - 4.2 million
    PS3 isn't doing quite as badly against the 360 here as I thought. I thought it was closer to 30% of the total of 360s in the US as opposed to almost half of the total amount of 360s sold. I don't see it happening in the next year, or even the year after that, but it looks like the PS3 has a CHANCE at passing the 360 at some point in its lifetime in the US. That of course depends upon games being released for it.

    One of the things about total 360 sales that I think was brought up already, is it possible that those numbers also include the RRoD replacements? If that's the case then the Wii would really already be #1 universally.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

  12. #4787
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    PS3 isn't doing quite as badly against the 360 here as I thought. I thought it was closer to 30% of the total of 360s in the US as opposed to almost half of the total amount of 360s sold. I don't see it happening in the next year, or even the year after that, but it looks like the PS3 has a CHANCE at passing the 360 at some point in its lifetime in the US. That of course depends upon games being released for it.
    PS3 has had a pretty good year in 2008, its having far better sales than in 2007. The problem for it is that it has been tying or coming just short of the 360, two times this year it actually sold a small bit more but that was it.

    You cannot take over a previous position unless you start outselling the competition and the PS3 is not doing that (yet)

    May NPD sales should show the effects of GTAIV and Blu-Ray on whether the PS3 has any momentum in anticipation for the MGS4 bundle/release

    Sony has got to start moving its PS2 owners to the PS3 or gaining converts from the 360, otherwise it will continue to sit behind the 360 effectively splitting the market with them 50/50

    Of course in the "HD" war Sony has nothing to worry about, it outsells the 360 in Japan at a rate of 6-8 to 1 weekly (similar to how much the Wii outsells the PS3 in JP)

    Sony and Nintendo are selling steady amounts in 3 regions (US/EU/JP), MS is only selling in the US and some in the EU (mostly UK, the remainder of the EU is heavily in favor of the Wii/PS3 combo)

    Japan is about 10%-20% of the total worldwide market but MS utter failure in that region is killing it as it allows the Wii and PS3 to gain worldwide by 200-700k a month on its 1 year lead.

    One of the things about total 360 sales that I think was brought up already, is it possible that those numbers also include the RRoD replacements? If that's the case then the Wii would really already be #1 universally.
    No these numbers are purely based on NPD sales, not shipped, not internal from Microsoft. Its all "sales" only

    There has been some current investigating and rumors that MS is repairing RROD consoles and reselling them in the market as "new" but that has not been proven or taken into account

    For all purposes the number listed about is solely new consoles out of the store

    In the end its all moot anyway in the grand scheme of things since the Wii is already worldwide #1 (and has been since last November) thanks to Japan and the EU, its just a waiting game for it to surpass the 360 in the US which it will do in either May or June thanks to Wii Fit and continued strong sales the Wii Zapper (almost 1.5-2m) Mario Galaxy (3.7-4.5m), Mario Kart Wii (1.1-1.5m) and Super Smash Bros Brawl (3m+)

    And of course what that means is with almost 25 million sold and an expected 20 million more by the end of 2008, we Wii owners will still continue to get mini games and shovelware or games that look like they belong on the PSX instead of the original Gamecube, and look nothing like AAA quality 3rd party efforts
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  13. #4788
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,011
    Does all this sales jibba jabber really matter? I mean, seriously, the PS3 is a high end machine. Not everyone will buy it because of it's price point. It's a given. From the looks of it, it is still moving a solid 180,000 units a month which may not be the numbers the Wii is doing at its price point but still a solid base that is growing.

    Now, if the PS3 wasn't selling at all we'd have issues.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

    http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

  14. #4789
    Dinh Of Gilead vaderSW1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    952
    This seems as good a place as any to pose this question: what's the deal with EVERY place being sold out of Nintendo Wii's CONSTANTLY?! Is it that Nintendo can't keep up with the demand? I mean, I had NO problems acquiring a XBox360 or a PS3 when they came out. I just can't seem to find any place at all (other than e-bay) that has them in stock. Is Nintendo just not manufacturing enough of these things?

  15. #4790
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by vaderSW1 View Post
    This seems as good a place as any to pose this question: what's the deal with EVERY place being sold out of Nintendo Wii's CONSTANTLY?! Is it that Nintendo can't keep up with the demand? I mean, I had NO problems acquiring a XBox360 or a PS3 when they came out. I just can't seem to find any place at all (other than e-bay) that has them in stock. Is Nintendo just not manufacturing enough of these things?
    Nintendo was shipping 1.8M units a month until this month or last month. They announced they were upping it to like 2.4 or around there starting this month I believe. So it's not that they aren't manufacturing enough, it's that the demand is just so high.

    Expect it to be like that for the entire year. I think Wii Fit is going to crush sales expectations ten fold and it's going to be a title (had to pause because I was about to call it a game) that will sell through to Christmas. It'll be like Wii Play except that it actually has substance.

    To sell almost 800k consoles in April is NOT normal for the gaming industry. I'm pretty sure it was selling 300-400k around this time last year and it was still scarce in stores. That's two times more. The Wii is a monster...for Microsoft to say it's #1 (that's what their PR says...they don't count the Wii because it's not HD) is ridiculous.

    I thought this was funny...but soooo true:

    Last edited by hemanrep; May 16, 2008 at 04:04am.

  16. #4791
    Heroic Warrior IronAvatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    518
    *sigh* Ok....I'm going to hold off on my usual anti-Nintendo rants, because it's pointless. They've won this round, and that's not going to change.

    I know gamers see this as a great thing, which is fair enough. But as somebody who wants to go indie on console, for me, the massive number of Wii owners is not enough to make me want to do something with WiiWare or even think about having to deal with Nintendo.

    If I make a game and it sells badly on say, the PSN, then I only have myself to blame for its failure. That's a risk I'm willing to take, because it's completely up to me to make it work. Unfortunately, from what I'm hearing, Nintendo are still acting like a playground bully on the WiiWare front and no amount of potential profit will counter the money I actually loose because of Nintendo's tactics.

    *sigh* I have to confess....it really grates on my nerves to see Nintendo doing so well. I can't help but feel that console development has taken a step back by 10 years, if only because now the major platform seller behaves in such a draconian way. I know many of you say that the freedom that Sony game developers has ruined the games industry, but really; is the way Nintendo behaving towards developers getting any better results?

    We're starting to see a massive improvement in the quality of 3rd party PS3 titles this year, can we honestly the same about the Wii?

    You'll have to excuse me while I go and try to digest these sour grapes
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

  17. #4792
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    Does all this sales jibba jabber really matter? I mean, seriously, the PS3 is a high end machine. Not everyone will buy it because of it's price point. It's a given. From the looks of it, it is still moving a solid 180,000 units a month which may not be the numbers the Wii is doing at its price point but still a solid base that is growing.

    Now, if the PS3 wasn't selling at all we'd have issues.
    It does matter in the fact that moving 180k is not solid when you are in a competition with two other companies, what you posted above is almost verbatim to what Nintendo was saying when the Gamecube was getting thrashed by the PS2 and the Xbox, only difference is Nintendo was turning a massive profit on the Gamecube.

    You are essentially saying "Its OK because its selling something, even if its coming in last place...some sales are better than no sales", Sony is not happy with the PS3 performance and thankfully MS is messing up so bad Sony is going to be able to salvage a horrendous 2007, but trust me the #1 hardware maker for the last 2 generations is not jumping for joy they are squeaking by in the US.

    Look if the PS3 were to continue on its current trend it would split the "HD" market with the 360, that does nobody any good as everything would begin to be multiplatform and there would be no difference between the 360 and the PS3 which is unfair to Sony because the PS3 is a much higher performing piece of hardware.

    It would be just like how the Wii is getting PSP and PS2 ports when it is 2-3x more powerful and should be receiving games on par with a steroided Gamecube or slightly powered up Xbox. Wii owners should be expecting almost every game to look like or better then Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, and Zelda Twilight Princess, PS3 owners should not be accepting ports of 360 games that have bad framerate, glitches, and poor AI just because the 360 cant handle what the PS3 can....its all the same mentality.

    The PS3 is selling, its just not selling at PSX or PS2 or even PSP levels and thats is a problem for Sony.

    Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    I know gamers see this as a great thing, which is fair enough. But as somebody who wants to go indie on console, for me, the massive number of Wii owners is not enough to make me want to do something with WiiWare or even think about having to deal with Nintendo.
    Its interesting you say that when several indie developers have actually said the opposite about Wii Ware in comparison to XBL where they claim Microsoft is heavy handed. Also the profit margin is reportedly bigger on Wii Ware then either XBL or PSN, are you saying they are acting similar to how they handle DS games (which I think you complained about). Just trying to put things into perspective since we never get to hear the inner workings of this kind of stuff.

    I think PSN is probably the most open of the 3 online services, not heard much for or against it from anyone (not sure why either)

    We're starting to see a massive improvement in the quality of 3rd party PS3 titles this year, can we honestly the same about the Wii?
    But yet it still sells in record numbers, thats the depressing part

    Also keep in mind this "massive improvement" is not accompanied with sales, did you know that no PS3 title (3rd party or other) has sold more than 300k in Japan, thats how bad the situation for developers is. Where you are is much better to 3rd parties and Sony in general (thankfully you guys had the common sense to buy Uncharted!)

    But the US is similar, in the 2 years Sony has had the PS3 out it has had two million sellers outside of Resistance and Motostorm, that was Call of Duty 4 and Grand Theft Auto IV, Assassins Creed may or may not have crossed that magic point by now but its unclear. Almost all of their AAA big titles flopped, Uncharted/Ratchet and Clank/Heavenly Sword/Lair....bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb anywhere outside the EU

    And the trend may not be changing, note GT5P up there in US sales with a healthy 200-300k, if it does not place next month with another 200-300k then it will struggle to do any better than those I just mentioned and that is a darn shame!

    You can make the best games but if they dont sell then unfortunetly they become no better than the shovelware that does sell on the Wii, gaming wise that sucks but business wise thats what matters when greenlighting and funding new games.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  18. #4793
    Heroic Warrior IronAvatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its interesting you say that when several indie developers have actually said the opposite about Wii Ware in comparison to XBL where they claim Microsoft is heavy handed. Also the profit margin is reportedly bigger on Wii Ware then either XBL or PSN, are you saying they are acting similar to how they handle DS games (which I think you complained about). Just trying to put things into perspective since we never get to hear the inner workings of this kind of stuff.
    Yeah, Microsfot are absolutely horrible with the whole XBL thing. They're dictating what games can and can't be released, based on some stupid rule of thumb. It might not be so bad, but they're doing when these games a ready to ship on XBL!

    The problem with Nintendo, is that they're still messing people around with release dates. People want to release as soon as possible so that they can catch the next financial quarter to get paid, but Nintendo, after originaly agreeing with them a date are saying "a snowballs chance hell. You release when we say", and that might not be for another five months after the original AGREED date!

    By the time the relase date comes around, the developer might have dissapeared because they were relying on Nintendo to stick to an agreed date to pay bils, finance their next venutre etc.

    No profit margin is going to help you out if you have to wait almost half a year to start getting any cash.

    I think PSN is probably the most open of the 3 online services, not heard much for or against it from anyone (not sure why either)
    Yeah, the PSN setup is awesome as far as I'm concerend. Sony are ultra-helpful, and the basic thinking goes "as soon as your game passes TRC, we can have it on the server for download". No BS, no politics, just straight to market given you want it that way. You might want to wait for it to synch up with any marketing that you have.

    It's all down to the developer to make sure it passes TRC and QA before the projected release date. Couldn't be simpler.


    The big shovelware and better software bit (sorry mark, I got rid of it for the sake of clarity. You don't half write a shed-load in the mornings!)
    I agree with all you've said there. But all I can say is that the failure of any title that is agreably a great game, has more to do with the developers/publichermarketing strategy than it has the console or the platform holder.

    As an example, there was absolutely NO marketing for Uncharted here in Europe that I could see. Almost nothing in print, no tv slots, nothing. I would say that Uncharted sold fairly well here in spite of it being a great game.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

  19. #4794
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    The fact is everyone is relying on several factors regarding the PS3:

    1. PS3 supposedly selling better than last year. While it has increased in sales compared to 2006, it's only moved 30-40,000 more which IMO, doesn't seem like a big improvement, especially with how much Sony had to scale back in price and hardware features.

    2. PS3 to sell because it won the HD format war. However, I doubt that is the case. Blu-Ray software sales has plateaued and the only players that are selling is the PS3. That doesn't bode well for Blu-Ray's future. Plus...we haven't had a lot of good BOGO sales!!!

    You'd think with the combination of those factors that the PS3 would be selling at least 200k a month. Sony is fortunate that the 360 sales suck too.

    3. PS3 sales to increase with releases of GTA IV and MGS4. GTA didn't do much of anything...at least for April. I'm kind of thinking that MGS4 might not do much either. Most of the people who want MGS4 already have the system. I'm hoping it does boost sales...at least 300k...I'm hopeful, but after GTA, I wouldn't bet on it.

  20. #4795
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    MGS4 will benefit some from the fact its being bundled with the 80gb units everyone wants, that in itself should push 200-400k units of the game over a 90 day period.

    Iron Avatar - I have heard similar things you are saying about the way the Virtual Console is run, Capcom said Nintendo is sitting on a bunch of games to release and has just not felt like it.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  21. #4796
    Master of My Domain PJMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland/Chicago
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    3. PS3 sales to increase with releases of GTA IV and MGS4. GTA didn't do much of anything...at least for April. I'm kind of thinking that MGS4 might not do much either. Most of the people who want MGS4 already have the system. I'm hoping it does boost sales...at least 300k...I'm hopeful, but after GTA, I wouldn't bet on it.
    The one thing you have to take into consideration about GTA IV is that the 360, as of right now, has exclusive downloadable episodic content. While the appearance and performance has been reportedly better on the PS3 version, the 360 version is still the version to buy due to this content. Gamers who have both systems are therefore naturally going to buy the 360 version, and gamers who don't have either system, and plan(ned) on buying a system because of GTA IV will more than likely get the 360 because that version of the game has this content. Downloadable episodic content also coming to the PS3 is only speculation as of right now, and therefore that makes the 360 version the one to buy.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

  22. #4797
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    The one thing you have to take into consideration about GTA IV is that the 360, as of right now, has exclusive downloadable episodic content. While the appearance and performance has been reportedly better on the PS3 version, the 360 version is still the version to buy due to this content. Gamers who have both systems are therefore naturally going to buy the 360 version, and gamers who don't have either system, and plan(ned) on buying a system because of GTA IV will more than likely get the 360 because that version of the game has this content. Downloadable episodic content also coming to the PS3 is only speculation as of right now, and therefore that makes the 360 version the one to buy.
    You are 100% correct. However, the console sales from both consoles did not benefit with the release of GTA IV.

    GTA sold more copies on the 360, that was to be expected with a larger userbase. I'm not questioning the number of copies GTA sold...GTA was suppose to spur sales for both consoles and it did not do that for either PS3 or 360, downloadable content or not.

    I mean, Microsoft created it's own shortage holding back supply for the release of GTA...and for what? 180k units? I don't think so.

    The 360 sold more units this time last year without GTA.

  23. #4798
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,722
    I think what you said last is what's scary to MS and Sony. MS lowering in sales could mean the 360 is getting stagnant, while the PS3 remains just as low which means no gains made and the same potential trouble finding a new audience.

    People also need to realize last month was a 5 week sales month so declines are normal but the Wii actually increased and GTA4 should have mved more consoles.

    I wonder just when supply will meet up with demand for Wii, it is hard to tell. It was expected the Wii would taper off in June but gamestop, amazon, and even the Nintendo Store this week stopped all preordering of Wii Fit..... so now who knows
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  24. #4799
    Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    The one thing you have to take into consideration about GTA IV is that the 360, as of right now, has exclusive downloadable episodic content. While the appearance and performance has been reportedly better on the PS3 version, the 360 version is still the version to buy due to this content. Gamers who have both systems are therefore naturally going to buy the 360 version, and gamers who don't have either system, and plan(ned) on buying a system because of GTA IV will more than likely get the 360 because that version of the game has this content. Downloadable episodic content also coming to the PS3 is only speculation as of right now, and therefore that makes the 360 version the one to buy.
    I have heard nothing but BAD things about the PS3 version of GTA IV.
    Coming from PS3 users.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

  25. #4800
    Heroic Warrior faroniousd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Fourth World...Soon to be Fifth World
    Posts
    858
    The Conduit(Wii) trailer is up on ign...check it out:

    http://wii.ign.com/articles/874/874796p1.html

    nothing awe-inspiring but looks like fun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •