Page 193 of 352 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 8798

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

  1. #4801
    Master of My Domain PJMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland/Chicago
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    I have heard nothing but BAD things about the PS3 version of GTA IV.
    Coming from PS3 users.
    I've heard nothing but good things coming from PS3 users, as well as gaming magazines, websites, etc. Maybe their ****ed off they don't get the downloadable content? I know I would be.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

  2. #4802
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    I have heard nothing but BAD things about the PS3 version of GTA IV.
    Coming from PS3 users.
    I have the PS3 version and it's pretty good playing the main game. The only problem I have online is finding people to play with...

    The game was freezing early on, but I haven't had any skipping or freezing since.

    By the way, I'm soooo siked for LBP. This is the game I'm most looking forward to this year. It's coming in October, but I hope they don't delay it.
    Last edited by hemanrep; May 17, 2008 at 03:44am.

  3. #4803
    Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,049
    Maybe I read fanboy sites-lol.

    I heard about the freezing and game crashing.
    Bad colors, bad textures-idk.

    Just got 100% in GTA IV, yea I get to qualify for the key-lol.


    Whats LBP?

    My number 1 game on my llist is Fable 2
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

  4. #4804
    Heroic Warrior redskyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    The fact is everyone is relying on several factors regarding the PS3:

    1. PS3 supposedly selling better than last year. While it has increased in sales compared to 2006, it's only moved 30-40,000 more which IMO, doesn't seem like a big improvement, especially with how much Sony had to scale back in price and hardware features.
    With the PS3/360 being deemed as the "gamers" consoles, it's all about the games. And what's going to affect the PS3 sales over 360 is the exclusives. If the less powerful machine will run the same game just as great, have a great online service in Xbox Live, and have exclusive content such as GTAIV, then why wouldn't somebody pick up Xbox over PlayStation? The only big titles to come out so far is GTAIV and GT5:P, and a lot of their big guns have been pushed back to Q3/Q4 2008, or Q1 2009 in the case of Killzone 2.

    2. PS3 to sell because it won the HD format war. However, I doubt that is the case. Blu-Ray software sales has plateaued and the only players that are selling is the PS3. That doesn't bode well for Blu-Ray's future. Plus...we haven't had a lot of good BOGO sales!!!

    You'd think with the combination of those factors that the PS3 would be selling at least 200k a month. Sony is fortunate that the 360 sales suck too.
    I don't see Blu-Ray sales really having an impact until people feel they need to upgrade their TVs during the digital TV switch in 2/2009. That, and players are still too expensive. The best and cheapest player is still the PS3, which doesn't bode well for the platform. Add to that, the retail price for discs are still way too expensive. Costing any where from $30 to an upwards of $35-$40 per disc MSRP, that's way too much. Until it starts coming down, that is also going to hold people back from really embracing Blu-Ray.

    3. PS3 sales to increase with releases of GTA IV and MGS4. GTA didn't do much of anything...at least for April. I'm kind of thinking that MGS4 might not do much either. Most of the people who want MGS4 already have the system. I'm hoping it does boost sales...at least 300k...I'm hopeful, but after GTA, I wouldn't bet on it.
    I think the biggest thing holding back PS3 sales is the lack of the 80GB PS3. While analysts were predicting PlayStation loyalty to push GTAIV, I can't see those loyalists giving up BC so easily. Once the new 80GB bundle is out, I'm sure the ones wanting MGS4, GTAIV, and GT5:P are waiting for it. That, and it comes with the new DualShock 3 controller.
    Cat-Tales - Gotham After Dark.

    Media Spec - a blog about entertainment and media related to music, video games, and animation. If you have any ideas, comments, or suggestions, please let me know and I'll try to include it.

  5. #4805
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by redskyy View Post
    With the PS3/360 being deemed as the "gamers" consoles, it's all about the games. And what's going to affect the PS3 sales over 360 is the exclusives. If the less powerful machine will run the same game just as great, have a great online service in Xbox Live, and have exclusive content such as GTAIV, then why wouldn't somebody pick up Xbox over PlayStation? The only big titles to come out so far is GTAIV and GT5:P, and a lot of their big guns have been pushed back to Q3/Q4 2008, or Q1 2009 in the case of Killzone 2.
    Okay, so the 360 version is better. Why didn't the 360 sales increase then? That's really my point. I know it's a multi-platform game, but GTA is one of the major game releases this generation. Why didn't it move 360s? GTA moves consoles -- period...or thats what Microsoft, Sony, analysts, and fans expected. People are coming up with these excuses NOW because it didn't happen.

    Let's put it this way: If you put San Andreas sales up against MGS3 sales...which sold more copies? The whole notion that MGS4 is going to sell consoles (with the exception of the bundles) is kind of a moot point considering people who are going to buy MGS4 already have the system.

    I fully expect the PS3 sales to hit 300k when MGS4 comes out, but then the same was expected for GTA. The GTA franchise is synonymous with the Playstation brand and that's one of the major reasons why GTA was able to sell 1M copies on the PS3.

    We're forgetting that not everyone who plays GTA is a hardcore gamer.

    I don't see Blu-Ray sales really having an impact until people feel they need to upgrade their TVs during the digital TV switch in 2/2009. That, and players are still too expensive. The best and cheapest player is still the PS3, which doesn't bode well for the platform. Add to that, the retail price for discs are still way too expensive. Costing any where from $30 to an upwards of $35-$40 per disc MSRP, that's way too much. Until it starts coming down, that is also going to hold people back from really embracing Blu-Ray.
    Again, everyone expected PS3 sales to increase slightly with the Blu-Ray win. Listen to Buzz Out Loud podcast and you'll notice that rather than sales increasing on both software and hardware, it's actually decreased because Sony no longer feels the need to put software on sale. The MSRP for Blu-Ray has always been $35-40, but why just recently have sales plateaued especially now that consumers don't have to worry about picking different formats.

    think the biggest thing holding back PS3 sales is the lack of the 80GB PS3. While analysts were predicting PlayStation loyalty to push GTAIV, I can't see those loyalists giving up BC so easily. Once the new 80GB bundle is out, I'm sure the ones wanting MGS4, GTAIV, and GT5:P are waiting for it. That, and it comes with the new DualShock 3 controller.
    I disagree. Having the PS3 for more than a year now, I rarely use BC. In fact, the backwards compatibility feature for the 360 as well as the Wii are also features I do not use. I think come next generation, we're not going to have BC because console makers are going to use digital downloads to their advantage.

    The biggest thing holding back PS3 sales is not the lack of the 80GB PS3. It's the price. The 360 also needs a price drop and Microsoft dropped the ball by not doing so during the release of GTA.

    Whats LBP?
    Little Big Planet. Probably the biggest casual/hardcore game for the PS3 this year.

  6. #4806
    Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,049
    Yea LBP does look cool. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on that one.



    Maybe people look at console sales like I do-
    I never expect 1 game to sell consoles.

    The whole reason I got a 360 was cause of the lineup and past games(I knew there would have to be a Fable 2-lol).
    Its all about the software(games).
    I look at how many games I like, and then what console is gonna have them?
    For me it is/was the 360. Yes there have been problems with RROD, but there is nothing else out there with the games I want to play, so I deal with it.
    I bet many others look at it that way also, but idk.

    And now that releases are over(console releases) it will probably depend on friends. People will play with thier friends and make a decision on which console they want. OR again back to a lineup.
    For me there is/was maybe 5 to 10 games on PS3, but literally a hundred or more on 360. For me its just the logical choice.
    If PS3 picks up and starts having a lineup, and or drops in price for Blu-Ray I will get one, but I have no reason to right now.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

  7. #4807
    Heroic Warrior redskyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Okay, so the 360 version is better. Why didn't the 360 sales increase then? That's really my point. I know it's a multi-platform game, but GTA is one of the major game releases this generation. Why didn't it move 360s? GTA moves consoles -- period...or thats what Microsoft, Sony, analysts, and fans expected. People are coming up with these excuses NOW because it didn't happen.
    Basically what Raining Light said. But the 360 is the console with the overall better good points than the PS3. A more robust game lineup, better online service, bigger install base/friends who most likely have one, and a lower price outweigh the minor problem in RROD. I think the 360 sales are stagnating because the people who wanted to play games like Halo 3, Gears of War, and GTAIV already have the console. Like the comparison you made to MGS4, I would say the same is true of GTAIV for 360.

    While minor points, I'm sure the lingering RROD problems and the hesitation over hi-def/blu-ray is still holding some back.

    Let's put it this way: If you put San Andreas sales up against MGS3 sales...which sold more copies? The whole notion that MGS4 is going to sell consoles (with the exception of the bundles) is kind of a moot point considering people who are going to buy MGS4 already have the system.

    I fully expect the PS3 sales to hit 300k when MGS4 comes out, but then the same was expected for GTA. The GTA franchise is synonymous with the Playstation brand and that's one of the major reasons why GTA was able to sell 1M copies on the PS3.

    We're forgetting that not everyone who plays GTA is a hardcore gamer.
    I'm not expecting an enormous jump when it comes to PS3 consoles sales, but it's going to be more substantial than 180k. I think you would be surprised about the value people see in the 80GB. Sony themselves said they underestimated the popularity of the configuration during Holiday 2007, thinking the 40GB would be a bigger seller. That is why they temporarily discontinued it to create an artificial shortage and put more hype and demand for the MGS4 bundle come June. This is also why they're bundling MGS4 with the 80GB in NA and Europe.

    Many people who I've heard want MGS4 do not have a PS3 yet. While there have a been a couple of good sellers like Call of Duty 4, Resistance, and Motor Storm, MGS4 is going to be one of the first games that will convince people to buy the PS3 outside of Blu-Ray. I think people will still be hesitant, but the Metal Gear name, increased value of the 80GB, and GTAIV will help move consoles together.

    Again, everyone expected PS3 sales to increase slightly with the Blu-Ray win. Listen to Buzz Out Loud podcast and you'll notice that rather than sales increasing on both software and hardware, it's actually decreased because Sony no longer feels the need to put software on sale. The MSRP for Blu-Ray has always been $35-40, but why just recently have sales plateaued especially now that consumers don't have to worry about picking different formats.
    People were predicting increased Blu-Ray sales if the BDA and friends didn't get so cocky. With prices on players going up since HD-DVD folded, people are still holding off. And many people still don't have an HDTV. There's also the compatibility issues with the different BD-Profiles as well. So until players get much lower than PS3 price point and have full compatibility with BD-2.0 and BD-Live, then it's not going to increase. Q4 2008/Q1 2009 will help push blu-ray with the holiday season and the big push to digital on television.

    People that purchased blu-ray during the format war were early adopters and was a really small percentage of the DVD market. With blu-ray being the official next-gen format, people want cheaper prices. And with the unstable economy in the US, that's more of an issue. The BDA isn't making much a push to show consumers why they need Blu-Ray ever since winning. And with prices still being high, they're still waiting.

    I disagree. Having the PS3 for more than a year now, I rarely use BC. In fact, the backwards compatibility feature for the 360 as well as the Wii are also features I do not use. I think come next generation, we're not going to have BC because console makers are going to use digital downloads to their advantage.

    The biggest thing holding back PS3 sales is not the lack of the 80GB PS3. It's the price. The 360 also needs a price drop and Microsoft dropped the ball by not doing so during the release of GTA.
    While the actual usage people get out of BC can be disputed, people still like to have it anyway. While the Gamecube and Xbox have long since been discontinued after their successors came along, the PS2 is still getting support and great games. Sony has done well to cultivate the PS2 market, still getting healthy sales every month for the console. It wasn't until last year that the 360 finally outsold the PS2 during a one month span. They may not use it much, but having BC and one less console in front of their TV matters.

    I will agree that price is still one of the biggest factors. That's a big reason why the Wii is still selling out, besides Wii Sports and first-party games. But I still think game line up is still a bigger factor. A price drop only helps sell Blu-Ray if there aren't enough games consumers want to buy for the PS3. I wouldn't bet on a PS3 price drop until Q4/Q1 2009.
    Cat-Tales - Gotham After Dark.

    Media Spec - a blog about entertainment and media related to music, video games, and animation. If you have any ideas, comments, or suggestions, please let me know and I'll try to include it.

  8. #4808
    Master of My Domain PJMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland/Chicago
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    Maybe I read fanboy sites-lol.

    I heard about the freezing and game crashing.
    Bad colors, bad textures-idk.
    I've heard that both versions had similar freezing and crashing problems, which were supposedly somehow solved by deleting the save file and starting over (that doesn't make sense to me). I don't believe that freezing/glitches are because of one system or the other. I blame it on the fact that patches and firmware updates are now commonplace, and therefore it isn't quite as necessary to put out a well refined product at launch.

    As for colors and textures, the IGN head to head video comparison says that the PS3 version has better textures, but the 360 version has slightly more vibrant colors, but by changing some of the display sliders on the PS3 version, you can get the colors just as, or close to as vibrant.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

  9. #4809
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    redskyy - You bring up some valid points, but I still don't fully agree with your arguments. I don't have time to go into the points one by one, but I still feel the prices are what is keeping people from buying the HD consoles. Once they hit the sweet spot of around $199-249, then I think the other factors can be considered.

    I believe it was Markatisu that said it or may be I read it somewhere else, but the majority of the PS2 userbase were casuals. The PS2 was the cheapest DVD player and that was it's selling point. Those casual gamers bought a Wii rather than a PS3 or 360.

    We talk about all the shovelware on the Wii simply because we haven't had many AAA third party games. The PS2 had lots of crap games, but it also had a large share of great games...something that differentiates the Wii and PS2 library.

  10. #4810
    Heroic Warrior redskyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    89
    That's a really good point. While there's constant talk about 360 vs. PS3, I never really heard the comparison of the Wii and PS2 very often.

    With 360 adoption slowing with prices as low as $279, perhaps they need to reach that $249 price point to stay competitive.
    Cat-Tales - Gotham After Dark.

    Media Spec - a blog about entertainment and media related to music, video games, and animation. If you have any ideas, comments, or suggestions, please let me know and I'll try to include it.

  11. #4811
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,715
    we don't compare Wii and PS2 because nobody has ever asked me. Just FYI the Wii is tracking far ahead of the PS2 at its same point in lifecycle.

    Hemanrep is correct, the PS2 had a ridiculous amt of shovelware that sold great same as the Wii, but the PS2 at its same point had higher quality games overall.

    The thing here is even without these games the Wii is selling more, whch begs the question what is the limit/potential in sales iif the Wii had the same quality of library
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  12. #4812
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The thing here is even without these games the Wii is selling more, whch begs the question what is the limit/potential in sales iif the Wii had the same quality of library
    I'd say the key was Wii Sports is what makes the system so appealing. The PS2 didn't have that killer app in the beginning of the console's life like the Wii did. The reason why the attach ratio for the Wii is so low is because consumers buying the Wii want the game that ships with it and very little else.

    If I remember correctly, the PS2 also started at a higher price point than the Wii. I think the perfect price point was $249 and the sales is proof.

  13. #4813
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,715
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    I'd say the key was Wii Sports is what makes the system so appealing. The PS2 didn't have that killer app in the beginning of the console's life like the Wii did. The reason why the attach ratio for the Wii is so low is because consumers buying the Wii want the game that ships with it and very little else.
    Not entirely true, the attach rate has been growing monthly, the industry is just not used to people who do not neccessarily need games on release day/week or buy 4 games a month.

    Tracking wise the Wii is keeping pace with the 360 at the same point in its life cycle, people ignore that because the 360 has such heavy front loaded sales and the Wii has similar sales but its gradual. The holiday season showed that best when the 360 attach rate remained steady and the Wii jumped to almost 10, meaning most Wii owners waited till the holidays. It begs the question of what's better, a few million sellers or a constant flow of profitable sellers?

    But I agree, the pack in was key, its the same reason imo the Wii Balance Board has been such a smash, that has a tech demo in the form of Wii Fit
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  14. #4814
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Not entirely true, the attach rate has been growing monthly, the industry is just not used to people who do not neccessarily need games on release day/week or buy 4 games a month.

    Tracking wise the Wii is keeping pace with the 360 at the same point in its life cycle, people ignore that because the 360 has such heavy front loaded sales and the Wii has similar sales but its gradual. The holiday season showed that best when the 360 attach rate remained steady and the Wii jumped to almost 10, meaning most Wii owners waited till the holidays. It begs the question of what's better, a few million sellers or a constant flow of profitable sellers?

    But I agree, the pack in was key, its the same reason imo the Wii Balance Board has been such a smash, that has a tech demo in the form of Wii Fit
    I'm not sure what attach rate numbers you are looking at, but the attach rate that Nintendo tosses around includes Wii Sports and Wii Play, which IMHO should not be counted.

    What's ironic is...Wii Fit is going to be counted as an accessory rather than a software by NPD which is what should have been done for Wii Play in the first place.

    As for your question, I think it's not the factor of which is better, but rather whether or not Nintendo can sustain both. A few million sellers is great for Nintendo who can make profit from several different areas (the system, accessories, licenses, etc), but what about third party developers? They have not been able to achieve either of those factors on the Wii, yet many have been able to do it on the 360.

    Case in point: Boom Blox. A freaking amazing game I rented this past week. It's the first third party game since Trauma Center I've played on the Wii which screams everything that the console was promised to be in E3 06. Innovative. Creative. Fun. Casual, yet deep. But what happen? It's selling awful. Something like (unofficial) 30k copies in the two weeks its been out. IMO, it's a game that deserves a better fate.

    I can almost guarantee you it would have sold better on another system simply because third party developers get suffocated by Nintendo games. Sad, but true.

  15. #4815
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,715
    Looks like I am going to rant or counter point some of what you have said, so the rest feel free to ignore my long post

    the attach ratios come from NPD analysts based on total lifetime sales vs month sales. Also I take into account the entire worldwide picture, not just the US and in Japan and the EU/UK there are better results and higher sales in comparison to the 360 and PS3.

    For instance Wii Sports is sold separately in Japan for $40-50 so what reason do you have from discounting it in Nintendos global numbers? Its more full featured the Wii Play

    When talking about the Wii Fit Balance Board its funny about the accesory category because Links Crossbow Training is also considered an accessory, ironic given its at least a game unlike Wii Play which is seriously a controller and the most basic of demos (almost considered shareware imo)

    Some third party developers are doing just fine though, there are other 500k-1 million sellers besides only Nintendo games. That was the point I was getting at, Capcom, Disney are two that have seen excellent sales.

    You know where I stand, Nintendo barely advertises their games like Battalion Wars 2, MP3, and Fire Emblem and so why again should I feel bad for third parties who dont advertise or push their games.

    Name one or even a few heavily marketed and pushed third party games to fail? I can name 3 off the top of my head that sold above expectation. This arguement is redundant because one side will say "well games dont sell" and the other will say "well nobody has tried" and in the end we are left with no games and no proof either way.

    also if we are going to talk 3rd parties, the EU sales charts show Sega is dong quite well as is Ubisoft. There was a point a few weeks back the Top 30 was dominated by more 3rd party Wii games then 1st party games. Analysis was done last month to show in the EU the split is 60/40 with the 60 benefiting 3rd parties, of course the 40 is solely Nintendo but what should they do release no games? Its a business in the end whether we like the results

    the picture that 3rd parties dont sell is not as obvious to make in the UK, 8 third party Wii titles make up the Top 21, Nintendo of course makes more money from #3 and #4 but you cannot look at this list and say nobody is making a decent profit

    UK Sales for the 20th week of 2008

    01 (01) [360] Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)
    02 (02) [PS3] Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)
    03 (03) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
    04 (07) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
    05 (04) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
    06 (05) [WII] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
    07 (08) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
    08 (06) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (Sony Computer Ent.)
    09 (09) [WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Ubisoft)
    10 (16) [WII] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)

    11 (37) [NDS] High School Musical 2: Work This Out! (Disney Interactive Studios)
    12 (20) [WII] Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)
    13 (__) [WII] Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (Sega)
    14 (13) [360] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
    15 (10) [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (505 Games)
    16 (12) [NDS] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
    17 (11) [WII] Game Party (Midway)
    18 (14) [NDS] Imagine: Babies (Ubisoft)
    19 (__) [WII] Boom Blox (Electronic Arts)
    20 (18) [NDS] More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
    21 (17) [WII] Sonic And The Secret Rings (Sega)

    I can almost guarantee you it would have sold better on another system simply because third party developers get suffocated by Nintendo games. Sad, but true.
    EA suggested as recently as last month that Boom Blox might hit all the other consoles, so you may get your chance to be proven right or wrong.

    I would say its not performing too far off expectations, 1up and IGN both said (as did 3 other game sites) that it does not appeal to casuals or hardcore initially, its a game you really have to play and "be sold" on. Given a lot of the Wii sales are to people who are picking something up regardless of the advertising or review scores it might fly under the radar till word of mouth gets around.

    You are also not seeing my point, if the Wii is following the DS way of things, 30k 1st week/month could mean 500k-700k lifetime, this week for example Target is offering a free $10 gift card if you buy Boom Blox so it could increase given that casuals tend to buy games when they get systems and Wii Fit will sell systems. It is also featured in the Best Buy ad, unusual late since the game was already released, so the advertising was obviously delayed making 1st week sales meaningless as only the "hardcore" audience would really know of it

    In order to see things the way they are we need to understand how the DS works because the Wii is following the similar strategy which is not front loaded sales. Point proven by the fact it (Boom Blox) debuted in the EU and did not chart but in its 2nd week it moved up to #19...slow moving but likely to stay in the Top 30

    Its not being pushed very hard either, the EU/UK is getting no advertising for it and I have not seen many commercials here. See my complaint above that if you do not push a game why should I feel bad if it bombs.

    High Voltage (the people working on Conduit and the Wii Ware game I want badly "Animales de las Muertas") has done more with the Wii in the last 60 days then 95% of Wii 3rd partys since launch and I think sum up my feelings personally in a recent interview

    “We think it’s a real shame that publishers and developers aren’t taking advantage of the technical possibilities of the Wii platform. Most Wii games don’t even look as good as the later day PS2 titles and that’s a real slap in the face to consumers. We believe that third-party developers need to step up to the plate and deliver.

    The Wii platform is capable of a lot more than what consumers have seen so far. We’re hoping to raise a new bar.” Incendiary words indeed, and Ganofsky takes it one step further by stating “Most of the games on the Wii look like crap [and] we want to change that”
    - Kerry Ganofsky, CEO and founder of High Voltage Software
    Oh and on the Wii Ware side I decided to splurge and get Lost Winds. it is very nice. I really like the art style and once you get a hang of the controls and moving Toku about it really controls well, its kind of like a puzzle platformer. Not sure if its worth 1000 points yet but I think 800 points would make it a must try.
    Last edited by markatisu; May 19, 2008 at 02:04am. Reason: Bought Lost Winds
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  16. #4816
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,370
    WiiWare/VC update:

    WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

    May 19, 2008

    Today begins a new phase for the Wii-kly Update. From now on, we'll have all the information about the arrival of both WiiWare™ and Virtual Console™ games. So basically you're getting access to the best games of the past and the coolest creations of the present. With this week's releases you can blast space-based enemies with your starfighter, fly the not-always-friendly skies or even corral some cute critters in the barnyard.

    Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

    WiiWare

    Critter Round-Up (Konami, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone - Comic Mischief, 1,000 Wii Points): The critters have escaped, and the barnyard is in chaos! It's up to you to quickly corral the animals in this puzzle-action challenge. You'll have to mend fences in a hurry to keep all the critters safe and satisfied. But the fun doesn't stop with the farmland; more than 50 challenging levels take you to several exotic locations, including the outback, the icy Arctic and more. There's even a series of minigames for when the critters get you down: Snowball Soccer, Predator Rampage, Chicken Catch and Fence Trap. Up to four players can compete or cooperate as the critters run wild. So roll up those sleeves and grab a friend-those critters won't catch themselves.

    Star Soldier R (Hudson Entertainment, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): Star Soldier R is a new kind of shooter where players aim for the best scores within a two- or five-minute time limit. Develop various scoring strategies, and pump out those points within the breakneck time frame. Assembled in record time to counter the advance of a powerful enemy, the mysterious Brain Forces, the "Caesar" starfighter takes off to fight for the very future of mankind. Shoot down countless enemies, upgrade your ship to the max with power-ups hidden throughout the levels and wage an all-out assault against the core of the enemy fortress. Combining the excitement of shoot-'em-ups with in-depth scoring strategies, this state-of-the-art competitive shooter will keep you coming back for more. Upload your best scores with Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, and pit your skills against the world's best fighter pilots from the comfort of your living room. Hone your skills and show the world who's boss.

    Virtual Console

    SKYKID™ (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): Red Baron, from the freedom- and peace-loving nation of birds, Bird Land, faces off in the skies with his rival Blue Max in this side-scrolling shooting game. Defeat the many enemies that await you as you complete your mission, using moves like the loop-the-loop to shoot down enemies from behind. Fly low to pick up bombs placed in the stage and drop them on command posts, warships or other designated targets to destroy them. Then land safely at base to proceed to the next mission. Beware of enemy fire, though-it will cause you to crash, unless you're able to recover by rapidly pressing the buttons. You can even play with a second person and fly simultaneously, sometimes helping each other and other times competing against each other. Prepare yourself and take to the skies, but make sure that the catchy background music (which became an instant classic when this game was originally released) doesn't distract you from your goal.

    For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  17. #4817
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,715
    Whooo hooo, Star Solider R. I love the 2 min mode. I checked the online rankings and some of these guys are masters!!

    Speaking of Wii Ware anyone else had problems finding Wii Points cards? I went to two Walmarts, 1 Target and a Best Buy last night and they were all sold out

    I had to end up using my CC to buy some online with the Wii so I could get FFCC and Star Soldier R

    EDIT: After playing for almost 2 hours I finally broke the 600,000 mark in Star Soldier R, at least for the next few mins I am ranked #17 in the US in 2 min mode and #20 in the US for 5 min mode

    Of course I am ranked like #5000-7000 worldwide
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  18. #4818
    kind of a big deal VaderLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lost in his own museum...
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    The problem with Nintendo, is that they're still messing people around with release dates. People want to release as soon as possible so that they can catch the next financial quarter to get paid, but Nintendo, after originaly agreeing with them a date are saying "a snowballs chance hell. You release when we say", and that might not be for another five months after the original AGREED date!
    As much as it's no secret I'm a Nintendo person, I totally agree with you on this point. This sucks, for everyone involved. Mostly for developers because you're not getting paid, which is never a good thing. But it sucks for us gamers too, because dammit we want these games to be released already!

    I mean, we in the US have been absolutely screwed with the Virtual Console lately. Japan and Europe still get 2-3 games a week, while we've only been getting 1. And most of them are really obscure things to boot. I mean come on, how many Super Turrican/Mega Turrican/Ultra Turrican/Extreme Turrican/Wild Turrican/Furious Turrican/Turrican's Revenge/etc etc games do we really need in a row, especially when they're not releasing anything else?

    Where's Dracula X? Where's Smash Brothers? Where's Mario Kart? Have they even released any of the MegaMan games yet? What about Castlevania 3? Or Bloodlines? How about Batman for the NES? Or the Turtles games? Or the Super Star Wars games? I'd love to play those again. Those and the Indiana Jones Trilogy game they made for SNES. That would have been perfect to release this week with the new movie coming out. Hell, what about Space Invaders, or Tetris, or Frogger, or Pac Man, or Galaga? All of those classic games had NES releases. I could go on. And on.

    And that's not even considering Wii Ware.

    Why the hell are they just sitting on all of these games?? Don't they realize that if they release more games - and ones that people actually want, for that matter - people will buy more and they'll make more money? It just doesn't make sense. It's not like there isn't a large enough library to keep the releases going.

    It's so frustrating. The VC and Wii Ware are such FANTASTIC services, but it just feels like they're being wasted.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

    "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

    Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

  19. #4819
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,715
    Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    Where's Dracula X? Where's Smash Brothers? Where's Mario Kart? Have they even released any of the MegaMan games yet? What about Castlevania 3? Or Bloodlines? How about Batman for the NES? Or the Turtles games? Or the Super Star Wars games? I'd love to play those again. Those and the Indiana Jones Trilogy game they made for SNES. That would have been perfect to release this week with the new movie coming out. Hell, what about Space Invaders, or Tetris, or Frogger, or Pac Man, or Galaga? All of those classic games had NES releases. I could go on. And on.

    And that's not even considering Wii Ware.
    PREACH ON! We are in total agreement!! Even on the Wii Ware side we got Super Soldier R but not Pokemon Ranch (which I found out adds things to the DS Pokemon Pearl and Diamond in the way of an exclusive Mew), and Dr Mario!!

    Its only the US service though, the UK got the same games we got but more (including Dr Mario) and the VC there has already received Mega Man's, Japan of course has received a number of Neo Geo games I want as well as Dracula X....the US though its like they cancelled the VC service and are scaling the Wii Ware service

    Oh and to those on the fence about Lost Winds, I played it some more after Star Solider R and earned the ability to slipstream....that in itself makes the game worth $10/1000 points.

    Being able to use wind, water, and fire and draw where you want them to go or draw the path you want to float on the wind just adds to the already great art style.

    Its amazing they fit this game on 43mb but Wii retail releases that get 4.3-9gb have a hard time looking better than 1st gen PS2 games
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  20. #4820
    kind of a big deal VaderLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lost in his own museum...
    Posts
    2,475
    If nothing else they absolutely NEED to release Dracula X over here. I REALLY don't want to have to buy a PSP.

    And I haven't been able to find any wii point cards anywhere lately either. I would buy some points through the console because I really want Lost Winds, TV Show King, and Super Soldier R, but I don't get paid again until after the next set of MOTU dvds come out, and needless to say I want those a hell of a lot more.

    And as far as the lack of graphical quality goes...I think a big part of it is the mentality devleopers have had towards Nintendo during the N64 days that's just carried over since then. Nobody wants to take the effort to fully utilize the system's capabilities.

    Everyone always used to say that the N64 could never support full motion video (even though the game boy color could ) because the games were cartridges not discs, but yet Capcom had no problem doing it with Resident Evil 2. Then with the Gamecube the excuse was that they were mini discs instead of full size so they couldn't fit as much data, but then you look at games like Metroid Prime or Twilight Princess and you realize the system could have done so much more than what we were given. The only third party Gamecube game I've ever played that even comes close to the graphical quality of Metroid or Zelda was Star Wars Rogue Leader, and that was a freaking launch title!

    No, wait, I take that back. The Resident Evil games (well, REmake, 4, and 0 anyway) were absolutely beautiful. But yet again, why was Capcom the only third party developer to actually push the capabilities of the console?

    The reason this lack of effort on the developers' parts is so painfully apparent now, much moreso than the last two generations, is because with the Wii they're finally using the industry standard media so there's absolutely NO excuse anymore.

    And yet AGAIN it seems that Capcom is the only developer that's actually trying to utilize the console's potential.
    Last edited by VaderLives; May 19, 2008 at 11:37pm.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

    "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

    Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

  21. #4821
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,715
    Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    And yet AGAIN it seems that Capcom is the only developer that's actually trying to utilize the console's potential.
    Exactly, and people wonder why they have great sales and 2 million sellers on Wii (RE4,REUC) and games that exceed their expectations (Okami is selling in line with their projections according to their games manager and Zack and Wiki has sold better in the EU/UK and continues to sell in the US well above expectations for such a niche title)

    Factor 5 is doing a Wii game and since they created a thing of beauty at the Gamecube launch (and on the N64 as well) I can only imagine how nice a Wii game will look.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  22. #4822
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,370
    Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    Where's Dracula X? Where's Smash Brothers? Where's Mario Kart? Have they even released any of the MegaMan games yet? What about Castlevania 3? Or Bloodlines? How about Batman for the NES? Or the Turtles games? Or the Super Star Wars games? I'd love to play those again. Those and the Indiana Jones Trilogy game they made for SNES. That would have been perfect to release this week with the new movie coming out. Hell, what about Space Invaders, or Tetris, or Frogger, or Pac Man, or Galaga? All of those classic games had NES releases. I could go on. And on.
    The biggest problem with a bunch of what you listed is that they are licensed properties. The license holders now are not necessarily the same license holders that made/published those games back in the day. I'd love to see the NES/SNES Capcom Disney games, along with all that you mentioned. Although we did get the 1st TMNT NES game that was made by Ultra/Konami. Ubisoft currently has the TMNT license, and we got charged an extra dollar to pay everyone involved, so it IS possible, I assume, provided all parties involved can be pleased. But when you're talking about bringing in that many more groups who all want a cut, the $$$ may get higher than Nintendo wants, in both consumer price and 3rd party payout, or it might not be high enough to please everyone who claims a stake into it. And you have the problem of publishers who aren't even around anymore. I believe the SNES Lucasarts stuff was published by JVC - To my knowledge, they aren't even in the game business anymore. Batman for the NES was published by Sunsoft. Where are they at now? When you have companies lone gone, you need to figure out what company/people, if any, has rights to all their product and get them involved to avoid a potential lawsuit before releasing to the public.

    I have no idea what the hold up is on the stuff like Mega Man & Castlevania, as Capcom & Konami have always OWNED those franchises. It's gotta be Nintendo just sitting on stuff for whatever reason. Only things I can think of are either waiting around until Nintendo has literally nothing to publish, or the 3rd parties aren't happy with the $$$ situation. I know the developers of the new Bionic Commando game and Bionic Commando: Rearmed claim that Nintendo has currently shot down the potential release of the NES version on the VC. Why? Who knows. Maybe it's Nintendo, maybe it's Capcom. Or maybe Nintendo knows that the US is the biggest gaming market in the world, and feels content enough to trickle things out when they feel like it, believing we'll spend our $$$ on whatever. Maybe things are held up with the ESRB? I have no clue, just spouting off some possibilities. I have yet to buy anything off WiiWare, and am only potentially interested in Lost Winds.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  23. #4823
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    I have no idea what the hold up is on the stuff like Mega Man & Castlevania, as Capcom & Konami have always OWNED those franchises. It's gotta be Nintendo just sitting on stuff for whatever reason. Only things I can think of are either waiting around until Nintendo has literally nothing to publish, or the 3rd parties aren't happy with the $$$ situation. I know the developers of the new Bionic Commando game and Bionic Commando: Rearmed claim that Nintendo has currently shot down the potential release of the NES version on the VC. Why? Who knows. Maybe it's Nintendo, maybe it's Capcom. Or maybe Nintendo knows that the US is the biggest gaming market in the world, and feels content enough to trickle things out when they feel like it, believing we'll spend our $$$ on whatever. Maybe things are held up with the ESRB? I have no clue, just spouting off some possibilities. I have yet to buy anything off WiiWare, and am only potentially interested in Lost Winds.
    Its all Nintendo and I think for many of the reasons you said, Capcom said 2 weeks ago in another interview they sent the approval to Nintendo a bunch of games months ago and its just been sitting in a queue for Nintendo to decide when to post it (similar to what IronAvatar was mentioning earlier)

    Lost Winds is a great game, if you have 1000pts to spare I suggest it. It is very much a old school 2-D platformer in a 3-Dish world. Its a bit slow to start and learn how to use the wind to jump, but once the puzzles and slip streaming come into play its hard to put down. If it had been 800pts I think I would be gifting it to people here

    Has anyone else bought FFCC My Life as a King, that game is addictive as heck. I have bought every piece of DLC and cant seem to put it down. It does not seem like its much when you are first getting started but as you build and talk to all your people the day goes by really fast.

    It reminds me of Animal Crossing meets the Sims with a bit of Starcraft mixed in by deciding where to send your troops and what to build around your castle. So far I have a 17 houses, 2 bakeries, an armory, a weapon shop, and a party of 5 people I send on missions....I played for almost 4 hours straight!

    Square-Enix deserves every bit of my money on this
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  24. #4824
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,370
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  25. #4825
    Heroic Warrior wolf-manj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atoka,TN
    Posts
    3,843
    has anyone read the greenpeace report on the 3 consoles?
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6191284.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •